Jump to topic:

The Military and Christianity

XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:26:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
For those who are religious and in the military, how would you religiously view killing someone in war? Obviously, the 10 commandments state: " Thou shalt not kill", and yet, many religious people in the military do this on an almost daily basis.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:32:41 PM
At 1/22/2015 3:26:59 PM, XVIII18 wrote:
For those who are religious and in the military, how would you religiously view killing someone in war? Obviously, the 10 commandments state: " Thou shalt not kill", and yet, many religious people in the military do this on an almost daily basis.

When God ordered killing it was ok so he's not actually anti-killing, just killing he didn't sanction or do himself. Secondly, if my understanding is correct, the more correct translation is 'Thou shalt not murder'. Murder is wrongful killing and soldiers in war are not violating laws when they are in a firefight.
Viscaria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 9:27:22 AM
I am not in the military but I am Christian and this is my view on it. Murder is the intent of hate to kill someone, premeditated. In war it is the intent to survive. Personally I don't believe this, for I feel it is still taking the life of another, but that is how some view it.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 9:30:47 AM
At 2/27/2015 9:27:22 AM, Viscaria wrote:
I am not in the military but I am Christian and this is my view on it. Murder is the intent of hate to kill someone, premeditated. In war it is the intent to survive.

Verbatim my point of view.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 9:36:38 AM
At 2/27/2015 9:27:22 AM, Viscaria wrote:
I am not in the military but I am Christian and this is my view on it. Murder is the intent of hate to kill someone, premeditated. In war it is the intent to survive. Personally I don't believe this, for I feel it is still taking the life of another, but that is how some view it.

you simply justify warfare. no wonder many christians fond invading other countries. Is that what you mean war?
Viscaria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 10:21:49 AM
To uncung, I am not justifying war. I am not looking for a debate. I am stating my personal view points of how some Christians can view fighting, and the death of another human being. I personally don't believe war is justified nor matter how needed or necessary.