Total Posts:119|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Cerebral, why?

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 11:31:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Why do you think that logic is the most important thing in the universe?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 11:34:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:31:17 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Why do you think that logic is the most important thing in the universe?

That's self-evident.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 11:36:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:31:17 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Why do you think that logic is the most important thing in the universe?

it's not to me.
signature
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 11:41:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Oh I dunno...could it be the promise of an ETERNAL PERFECT AFTERLIFE? Just puttin it out there.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:00:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:41:42 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Oh I dunno...could it be the promise of an ETERNAL PERFECT AFTERLIFE? Just puttin it out there.

Thats not a noble goal and is misguided.

"Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities. Thy heart, O Brahman, is cleaving still to self; thou art anxious about heaven but thou seekest the pleasures of self in heaven, and thus thou canst not see the bliss of truth." - the Buddha

There is greater truth and greater bliss than eternity in heaven.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:03:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.

What do you mean by that?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:04:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.

He's not...big Poppa is!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:04:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?
He wants to find one that is logical, and he wants happy, eternal life. There is nothing wrong with that.

@ Geo

Buddha quotes, even though some are eloquent, are not helping your case.

-- In case you did not know.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:07:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:03:19 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.


What do you mean by that?

Have you ever read 1984?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:08:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:04:57 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?
He wants to find one that is logical, and he wants happy, eternal life. There is nothing wrong with that.

@ Geo

Buddha quotes, even though some are eloquent, are not helping your case.

-- In case you did not know.

I don't have a case to make. Freedo and Cerebral do. I'm responding to false notions about how great Heaven is.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:09:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:07:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:03:19 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.


What do you mean by that?

Have you ever read 1984?

So you are saying God is like big brother?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:11:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:08:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't have a case to make. Freedo and Cerebral do. I'm responding to false notions about how great Heaven is.
It is not a false notion. Your zeusophobia is just filled with holes, unfortunately. The idea of God scares you a lot. Even though Heaven is described perfectly, where you have no fear, shame, or anything else that is negative, you still think that it is bad and whatnot. That is just rubbish.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:12:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:04:57 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?
He wants to find one that is logical, and he wants happy, eternal life. There is nothing wrong with that.

@ Geo

Buddha quotes, even though some are eloquent, are not helping your case.

-- In case you did not know.

It appears you are uncomffortable with his quotes because they challenge your belief system and challenge your preconceived notions that he is consistent with Islam which i told you over and over is not the case.

I'm sorry, but you find him saying anything remotely close to what Quran teaches.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:14:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:09:37 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:07:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:03:19 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.


What do you mean by that?

Have you ever read 1984?

So you are saying God is like big brother?

Yes.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:14:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:13:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Forgot to check if he was online when I made the thread.

Lol that is pretty funny actually that one of the only members not to comment is the one who it is a about
LOL
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:15:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:11:58 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:08:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't have a case to make. Freedo and Cerebral do. I'm responding to false notions about how great Heaven is.
It is not a false notion. Your zeusophobia is just filled with holes, unfortunately. The idea of God scares you a lot. Even though Heaven is described perfectly, where you have no fear, shame, or anything else that is negative, you still think that it is bad and whatnot. That is just rubbish.

Laughable. I'm an anti theist who certainly does not fear God. If I did fear God id probably start believing in him to gain his mercy.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:17:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:14:09 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:09:37 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:07:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:03:19 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.


What do you mean by that?

Have you ever read 1984?

So you are saying God is like big brother?

Yes.

I think this evidences one of the central problems with atheists understanding of the Christian God
So why do you think God always watching would be a bad thing?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:18:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:12:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It appears you are uncomffortable with his quotes because they challenge your belief system and challenge your preconceived notions that he is consistent with Islam which i told you over and over is not the case.
His alleged sayings are zero percent challenges to my belief. I find nothing in his quotes, or of "OSHO's," or anybody else's that challenge my beliefs. The thing is that his saying are not supporting your case against religions etc. that much at all. Some support them fully.

I'm sorry, but you find him saying anything remotely close to what Quran teaches.
It does not matter. He was not the brightest man ever, and if he was, what does it matter? I do not care. However, I believe that if we knew what he said, we would conclude that he was nothing but a theist. I hardly doubt he was close to being an atheist.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:21:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because he is afraid...very afraid.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:22:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:15:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Laughable. I'm an anti theist who certainly does not fear God. If I did fear God id probably start believing in him to gain his mercy.
You fear the existence of Him, and want to stay away from any kind of belief in Him. That is why you would rather be with Satan than God, even though you would suffer endlessly in Hell with Satan, instead of being happy with God.

That is absurd in all senses.
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:23:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
There is greater truth and greater bliss than eternity in heaven.

Lol, I wasn't aware one could be happier than in a place touted to be the ultimate, eternal source/place of happiness. As for the noble, idealistic, but ultimately naive babbles of truth and individualism:

The only reason why we adhere to logic (at least for me), is to figure out the truth. The means is logic, the goal is the truth. There is no respecting reason in of itself, nor do I find it meaningful to be a tortured soul who knows the truth. If I had to choose between a delusional but happy idiot, or a knowledgeable but depressed philosopher, I'd choose the former.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:25:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:17:44 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:14:09 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:09:37 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:07:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:03:19 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.


What do you mean by that?

Have you ever read 1984?

So you are saying God is like big brother?

Yes.

I think this evidences one of the central problems with atheists understanding of the Christian God
So why do you think God always watching would be a bad thing?

Hmm.... How would you like it if there was someone that could watch you whenever you went to the bathroom, had sex, stole a cookie from the cookie jar etc?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:27:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:25:01 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:17:44 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:14:09 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:09:37 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:07:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:03:19 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:00:55 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:54:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/23/2010 11:30:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Why do you have such a strong desire to be religious when you don't think it to be logical?

Because the idea of Heaven is awesome lol. And the whole concept is great - just not true. Like Santa.

Heaven would only be awesome if Big Brother wasn't there.


What do you mean by that?

Have you ever read 1984?

So you are saying God is like big brother?

Yes.

I think this evidences one of the central problems with atheists understanding of the Christian God
So why do you think God always watching would be a bad thing?

Hmm.... How would you like it if there was someone that could watch you whenever you went to the bathroom, had sex, stole a cookie from the cookie jar etc?

So basically your problem with the idea is that you think that God won't let you do anything you want such as stealing cookies from the cookie jar?
Note:In heaven you don't have to use the bathroom
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:29:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:25:01 PM, Freeman wrote:

Hmm.... How would you like it if there was someone that could watch you whenever you went to the bathroom, had sex, stole a cookie from the cookie jar etc?

It's God, not the KGB.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:30:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:29:20 PM, innomen wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:25:01 PM, Freeman wrote:

Hmm.... How would you like it if there was someone that could watch you whenever you went to the bathroom, had sex, stole a cookie from the cookie jar etc?

It's God, not the KGB.

he still watches you masterbate.
signature
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:31:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 12:22:14 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/23/2010 12:15:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Laughable. I'm an anti theist who certainly does not fear God. If I did fear God id probably start believing in him to gain his mercy.
You fear the existence of Him, and want to stay away from any kind of belief in Him. That is why you would rather be with Satan than God, even though you would suffer endlessly in Hell with Satan, instead of being happy with God.

That is absurd in all senses.

What? Its like this.
Someone is holding a gun to your head. Would you, at that moment, try to be their worst enemy? No. You would try to appease them by giving them whatever they want.
Your argument makes no sense. If you are afraid of someone, and you know they could crush you at any point in time, why would you ever want to be against them? It would be illogical.
Just because you fear something doesn't make you against it. Many people fear God. However, many theists also fear God. Are they secretly Satan worshipers? No. It just means that even if you fear something, you aren't inherently against it.
I miss the old members.