Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Jesus and the sun god

Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 6:14:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"Even those who God chooses to test without providing the word of the lord Jesus will be given a parallel religious framework for morality so as to make it fair."

Has plenty of holes, but I'd have said that if you asked when I was Mormon :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It seems your confusion comes from the idea that the Egyptians predate Christ
What it is that Adam and Eve had the Gospel and they taught it to their children who then taught it to their children and so on until Noah and the process started yet again
Now knowledge of Christ was around many hundreds of years before Christ came to this earth (read Isiah) so it is would be natural to assume that the Gospel of Christ came first also there are other things in mythology that also point to Christ and the Gospel
For example almost every single mythology I have heard of has a flood myth where all but one man or his family were saved seems very similar to the Noah story to me
Or when Cortez first landed in Mexico the Aztecs worshiped him because they believed him to be a God due to the fact that they had a myth that a white man with a beard once visited their people and he promised he would return
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 6:42:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
It seems your confusion comes from the idea that the Egyptians predate Christ
What it is that Adam and Eve had the Gospel and they taught it to their children who then taught it to their children and so on until Noah and the process started yet again
Now knowledge of Christ was around many hundreds of years before Christ came to this earth (read Isiah) so it is would be natural to assume that the Gospel of Christ came first also there are other things in mythology that also point to Christ and the Gospel
For example almost every single mythology I have heard of has a flood myth where all but one man or his family were saved seems very similar to the Noah story to me
That is because Christianity took it from other mythologies. Christianity is basically the most popular bits from different religions compiled into one.
Or when Cortez first landed in Mexico the Aztecs worshiped him because they believed him to be a God due to the fact that they had a myth that a white man with a beard once visited their people and he promised he would return
The Aztecs worshiped Cortez because he was dressed in armor, and on strange beasts they had never seen.
I miss the old members.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 6:43:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

For example almost every single mythology I have heard of has a flood myth where all but one man or his family were saved seems very similar to the Noah story to me

False.

http://www.talkorigins.org...
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 6:48:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 6:42:18 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
It seems your confusion comes from the idea that the Egyptians predate Christ
What it is that Adam and Eve had the Gospel and they taught it to their children who then taught it to their children and so on until Noah and the process started yet again
Now knowledge of Christ was around many hundreds of years before Christ came to this earth (read Isiah) so it is would be natural to assume that the Gospel of Christ came first also there are other things in mythology that also point to Christ and the Gospel
For example almost every single mythology I have heard of has a flood myth where all but one man or his family were saved seems very similar to the Noah story to me
That is because Christianity took it from other mythologies. Christianity is basically the most popular bits from different religions compiled into one.
Or when Cortez first landed in Mexico the Aztecs worshiped him because they believed him to be a God due to the fact that they had a myth that a white man with a beard once visited their people and he promised he would return
The Aztecs worshiped Cortez because he was dressed in armor, and on strange beasts they had never seen.

Or other religions are take some of the parts of Christianity they find most appealing and adapt it

And on the subject of Cortez look up Quetzalcoatl
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 6:49:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Or when Cortez first landed in Mexico the Aztecs worshiped him because they believed him to be a God due to the fact that they had a myth that a white man with a beard once visited their people and he promised he would return

Also false. The myth is in Cortés was as the return of Quetzalcoatl - the 'white god' not 'a white man with a beard'. That and there is no actual backup for this myth prior to the actual conquest. :P
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 7:09:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 6:42:18 PM, Atheism wrote:

That is because Christianity took it from other mythologies. Christianity is basically the most popular bits from different religions compiled into one.

olol. Mythers are funny.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 7:18:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
It seems your confusion comes from the idea that the Egyptians predate Christ
What it is that Adam and Eve had the Gospel and they taught it to their children who then taught it to their children and so on until Noah and the process started yet again
Now knowledge of Christ was around many hundreds of years before Christ came to this earth (read Isiah) so it is would be natural to assume that the Gospel of Christ came first also there are other things in mythology that also point to Christ and the Gospel
For example almost every single mythology I have heard of has a flood myth where all but one man or his family were saved seems very similar to the Noah story to me
Or when Cortez first landed in Mexico the Aztecs worshiped him because they believed him to be a God due to the fact that they had a myth that a white man with a beard once visited their people and he promised he would return

1. You think God is a white man and a beard? That is the most ethnocentric piece of crap I've ever heard. Predictable, but ugh.
2. Your explanation is plausible within your own worldview, but I notice you jumped to it. Did you even consider the possibility you're wrong?
3. Your explanation is rather convenient and retroactive.
4. Flood myths? Really? If anything that's evidence for you that you don't need to pass on the same story to have similar stories. Whenever creationists bring up the flood myths, they seem to forget monomyths--for example the Hero's Journey and its archetypes, a story which is present in most cultures. Did the Hero's Journey actually happen once, or can we recognize that: Floods happen a lot and wipe out villages. Most societies are patriarchal and patrilineal, and being the son of a god makes you pretty damn special. A man going and defeating an enemy and returning having gained something is a pretty appealing tale (Hero's Journey). Embellishment happens.
5. Egyptians treated the Ra-Horus myth as having happened, even though it was a myth. Is there any reason we should believe the Jesus story wasn't a myth in the same vein? If the same story of a Christ was passed down through generations, what real reason do you have to believe that the Christian story wasn't simply one of these myths? Why would we treat it any differently? That it's successful counts for nothing, nevermind that the other myths were successful in their own time.
6. What reason do you have to believe that the Jesus story wasn't simply retroactive? There are plenty of cult leaders today that force themselves into Biblical/other prophecies, and they match. It's not that difficult.

Thank you for posting your explanation. It just seems very convenient to me.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 7:42:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 7:18:24 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
It seems your confusion comes from the idea that the Egyptians predate Christ
What it is that Adam and Eve had the Gospel and they taught it to their children who then taught it to their children and so on until Noah and the process started yet again
Now knowledge of Christ was around many hundreds of years before Christ came to this earth (read Isiah) so it is would be natural to assume that the Gospel of Christ came first also there are other things in mythology that also point to Christ and the Gospel
For example almost every single mythology I have heard of has a flood myth where all but one man or his family were saved seems very similar to the Noah story to me
Or when Cortez first landed in Mexico the Aztecs worshiped him because they believed him to be a God due to the fact that they had a myth that a white man with a beard once visited their people and he promised he would return

1. You think God is a white man and a beard? That is the most ethnocentric piece of crap I've ever heard. Predictable, but ugh.
2. Your explanation is plausible within your own worldview, but I notice you jumped to it. Did you even consider the possibility you're wrong?
3. Your explanation is rather convenient and retroactive.
4. Flood myths? Really? If anything that's evidence for you that you don't need to pass on the same story to have similar stories. Whenever creationists bring up the flood myths, they seem to forget monomyths--for example the Hero's Journey and its archetypes, a story which is present in most cultures. Did the Hero's Journey actually happen once, or can we recognize that: Floods happen a lot and wipe out villages. Most societies are patriarchal and patrilineal, and being the son of a god makes you pretty damn special. A man going and defeating an enemy and returning having gained something is a pretty appealing tale (Hero's Journey). Embellishment happens.
5. Egyptians treated the Ra-Horus myth as having happened, even though it was a myth. Is there any reason we should believe the Jesus story wasn't a myth in the same vein? If the same story of a Christ was passed down through generations, what real reason do you have to believe that the Christian story wasn't simply one of these myths? Why would we treat it any differently? That it's successful counts for nothing, nevermind that the other myths were successful in their own time.
6. What reason do you have to believe that the Jesus story wasn't simply retroactive? There are plenty of cult leaders today that force themselves into Biblical/other prophecies, and they match. It's not that difficult.

Thank you for posting your explanation. It just seems very convenient to me.

1.I don't make any claim to what God looks like he may be a white man with a beard he may be a Mexican guy with a Hitler stache but Jesus Christ (The Son of God) during his earthly ministry was a white man with a beard
2. I have considered the possibility I am wrong however we all come from a common descent seems to be a more plausible explanation than all of the major civilizations of the world just happened to all have incredibly similar mythologies
3.Yes it is convenient just because something is convenient does not in anyway increase or decrease the credibility of said thing. Would you not go to the nearest rest room and instead go to one 20 miles away because it was convenient?
4. You can't prove that the Hero's Journey didn't really happen
5.Could you clarify this one for me what are you trying to say
6. Same as first are you implying that Christ simply forced himself into Jewish prophecies?

Yet another reason I like my explanation it is convenient
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
sherlockmethod
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 8:04:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
YECs answer this question using their fictional historical model. According to YECs, Egypt did not emerge until after the Tower of Babel event in 2242 B.C. http://www.answersingenesis.org...
In other words, they just make it up as they go along. The Hebrew myths are most certainly a reflection of the earlier myths presented in the area and a history of the Hebrew people show that they were influenced heavily by the changing factions in the region. The myths appear to be a collection of surrounding myths with one unifying principle - God.

The prophecies implying Jesus as the Son of God is but one branch of the Judeo Christian belief. Strikeeagle may be willing to toss away the Jewish religion, but I am not. I do have to ask why Stikeeagle thinks Jesus was white? Or had a beard?
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 8:13:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 7:42:50 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 6/23/2010 7:18:24 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 6/23/2010 6:27:48 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
It seems your confusion comes from the idea that the Egyptians predate Christ
What it is that Adam and Eve had the Gospel and they taught it to their children who then taught it to their children and so on until Noah and the process started yet again
Now knowledge of Christ was around many hundreds of years before Christ came to this earth (read Isiah) so it is would be natural to assume that the Gospel of Christ came first also there are other things in mythology that also point to Christ and the Gospel
For example almost every single mythology I have heard of has a flood myth where all but one man or his family were saved seems very similar to the Noah story to me
Or when Cortez first landed in Mexico the Aztecs worshiped him because they believed him to be a God due to the fact that they had a myth that a white man with a beard once visited their people and he promised he would return

1. You think God is a white man and a beard? That is the most ethnocentric piece of crap I've ever heard. Predictable, but ugh.
2. Your explanation is plausible within your own worldview, but I notice you jumped to it. Did you even consider the possibility you're wrong?
3. Your explanation is rather convenient and retroactive.
4. Flood myths? Really? If anything that's evidence for you that you don't need to pass on the same story to have similar stories. Whenever creationists bring up the flood myths, they seem to forget monomyths--for example the Hero's Journey and its archetypes, a story which is present in most cultures. Did the Hero's Journey actually happen once, or can we recognize that: Floods happen a lot and wipe out villages. Most societies are patriarchal and patrilineal, and being the son of a god makes you pretty damn special. A man going and defeating an enemy and returning having gained something is a pretty appealing tale (Hero's Journey). Embellishment happens.
5. Egyptians treated the Ra-Horus myth as having happened, even though it was a myth. Is there any reason we should believe the Jesus story wasn't a myth in the same vein? If the same story of a Christ was passed down through generations, what real reason do you have to believe that the Christian story wasn't simply one of these myths? Why would we treat it any differently? That it's successful counts for nothing, nevermind that the other myths were successful in their own time.
6. What reason do you have to believe that the Jesus story wasn't simply retroactive? There are plenty of cult leaders today that force themselves into Biblical/other prophecies, and they match. It's not that difficult.

Thank you for posting your explanation. It just seems very convenient to me.

1.I don't make any claim to what God looks like he may be a white man with a beard he may be a Mexican guy with a Hitler stache but Jesus Christ (The Son of God) during his earthly ministry was a white man with a beard
2. I have considered the possibility I am wrong however we all come from a common descent seems to be a more plausible explanation than all of the major civilizations of the world just happened to all have incredibly similar mythologies
3.Yes it is convenient just because something is convenient does not in anyway increase or decrease the credibility of said thing. Would you not go to the nearest rest room and instead go to one 20 miles away because it was convenient?
4. You can't prove that the Hero's Journey didn't really happen
5.Could you clarify this one for me what are you trying to say
6. Same as first are you implying that Christ simply forced himself into Jewish prophecies?

Yet another reason I like my explanation it is convenient

1. What on earth makes you think Jesus was white?
2. Common descent? Hey, that sounds like evolution.
3. You don't get it. The problem with it being convenient is it's a very far-fetched explanation which just happens to validate YOUR religion. Any other number of explanations are perfectly valid.
4. I'm not saying it didn't happen once. However, it, like a flood, is a perfectly plausible thing that may have happened once and got turned into a myth formula. You're missing my point.
5. What I'm trying to say is that Egyptians treated their myth as having happened, with all the supernatural junk involved. What makes you think the Jesus story is more plausible than the Egyptian one? It seems to be largely a cultural difference.
6. Okay, imagine this. I'm a cult leader, and I say, I am the son of god (pretend I'm a man here). I say, I was born on this day, and these aspects of my life fulfill these aspects of a commonly believed prophecy. Since that documentation already exists and was well known, there's no reason Jesus couldn't have just lied. Another possibility is that he was a successful prophet who was lionized after the fact--again, think American founding fathers. Aspects of them are practically mythological, and that's not that many years ago. Is it so hard to imagine a popular prophet's followers spreading tales about him that aren't true?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 8:20:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 8:19:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/23/2010 8:13:58 PM, Yvette wrote:

1. What on earth makes you think Jesus was white?

He wasn't. He was black. ;) http://www.lillyofthevalleyva.com...(c)BarzoniARTCOM10055775.jpg

Oops, didn't work. Here's the same pic, but at another site. http://www.salamandersociety.com...
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 8:22:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 8:20:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/23/2010 8:19:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/23/2010 8:13:58 PM, Yvette wrote:

1. What on earth makes you think Jesus was white?

He wasn't. He was black. ;) http://www.lillyofthevalleyva.com...(c)BarzoniARTCOM10055775.jpg

Oops, didn't work. Here's the same pic, but at another site. http://www.salamandersociety.com...

I find it funny that Americans find "black Jesus" more hilarious and unbelievable than white Jesus.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 8:43:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 8:22:47 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 6/23/2010 8:20:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/23/2010 8:19:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/23/2010 8:13:58 PM, Yvette wrote:

1. What on earth makes you think Jesus was white?

He wasn't. He was black. ;) http://www.lillyofthevalleyva.com...(c)BarzoniARTCOM10055775.jpg

Oops, didn't work. Here's the same pic, but at another site. http://www.salamandersociety.com...

I find it funny that Americans find "black Jesus" more hilarious and unbelievable than white Jesus.

Jesus was clearly Middle Eastern so no, he obviously wasn't white or black.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 3:11:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
There is weak evidence tying in Judaism with the Cult of the Aten, but Aten was not a sun God, he is represented as a sun disc... to the delight of UFO cultists. The Lords Prayer comes from this cult, it is almost identical.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:13:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

personally I think all that stuff is cool. from watching whatleges video it even explains a few things I was wondering about like, why did Christians start singing about three kings when the story only speaks of three magi, or what did the magi see in the stars that made them come to Bethlehem. Now I know.

But I'd like to know the reason for the death and three day resurrections for previous paralleled stories before posting more. Where they for the justification of the worlds sins, or for some other reason?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 4:30:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

We (Christians) understand that the 'god of this world' , satan, is a liar and 'the father of lies'.
He is a counterfeiter; so he counterfeits Christ's more than anything. Indeed, in the last days there shall be many false Christ's.

The Gospels are an accurate history of Jesus Christs' ministry, by those who know Him best.

Repent (turn from your own selfish desires to God) and believe the Good News! (that Jesus Christ has DEFEATED DEATH)
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 10:31:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 4:30:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

We (Christians) understand that the 'god of this world' , satan, is a liar and 'the father of lies'.
He is a counterfeiter; so he counterfeits Christ's more than anything. Indeed, in the last days there shall be many false Christ's.

The Gospels are an accurate history of Jesus Christs' ministry, by those who know Him best.

Repent (turn from your own selfish desires to God) and believe the Good News! (that Jesus Christ has DEFEATED DEATH)

That seems like a good deal, may I review the evidence for your claim?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 2:41:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 10:31:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/28/2010 4:30:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

We (Christians) understand that the 'god of this world' , satan, is a liar and 'the father of lies'.
He is a counterfeiter; so he counterfeits Christ's more than anything. Indeed, in the last days there shall be many false Christ's.

The Gospels are an accurate history of Jesus Christs' ministry, by those who know Him best.

Repent (turn from your own selfish desires to God) and believe the Good News! (that Jesus Christ has DEFEATED DEATH)

That seems like a good deal, may I review the evidence for your claim?

It's an amazing deal.. the ONLY deal left to us.

Review away, Tarzan.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 3:29:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/29/2010 2:41:28 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/28/2010 10:31:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/28/2010 4:30:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

We (Christians) understand that the 'god of this world' , satan, is a liar and 'the father of lies'.
He is a counterfeiter; so he counterfeits Christ's more than anything. Indeed, in the last days there shall be many false Christ's.

The Gospels are an accurate history of Jesus Christs' ministry, by those who know Him best.

Repent (turn from your own selfish desires to God) and believe the Good News! (that Jesus Christ has DEFEATED DEATH)

That seems like a good deal, may I review the evidence for your claim?

It's an amazing deal.. the ONLY deal left to us.

Review away, Tarzan.

Show me the evidence then please sugar tits.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 3:17:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/29/2010 3:29:37 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/29/2010 2:41:28 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/28/2010 10:31:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/28/2010 4:30:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

We (Christians) understand that the 'god of this world' , satan, is a liar and 'the father of lies'.
He is a counterfeiter; so he counterfeits Christ's more than anything. Indeed, in the last days there shall be many false Christ's.

The Gospels are an accurate history of Jesus Christs' ministry, by those who know Him best.

Repent (turn from your own selfish desires to God) and believe the Good News! (that Jesus Christ has DEFEATED DEATH)

That seems like a good deal, may I review the evidence for your claim?

It's an amazing deal.. the ONLY deal left to us.

Review away, Tarzan.

Show me the evidence then please sugar tits.

You MUST walk in the light (OR IN LEAST YOUR OWN ACCOUNT TARZAN) before you may recieve further illumination..

AS you have been instructed on numerous occasions.

But your PRIDE seperates you from the saving knowledge of Christ.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 3:33:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/30/2010 3:17:28 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/29/2010 3:29:37 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/29/2010 2:41:28 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/28/2010 10:31:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/28/2010 4:30:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

We (Christians) understand that the 'god of this world' , satan, is a liar and 'the father of lies'.
He is a counterfeiter; so he counterfeits Christ's more than anything. Indeed, in the last days there shall be many false Christ's.

The Gospels are an accurate history of Jesus Christs' ministry, by those who know Him best.

Repent (turn from your own selfish desires to God) and believe the Good News! (that Jesus Christ has DEFEATED DEATH)

That seems like a good deal, may I review the evidence for your claim?

It's an amazing deal.. the ONLY deal left to us.

Review away, Tarzan.

Show me the evidence then please sugar tits.

You MUST walk in the light (OR IN LEAST YOUR OWN ACCOUNT TARZAN) before you may recieve further illumination..

AS you have been instructed on numerous occasions.

But your PRIDE seperates you from the saving knowledge of Christ.

But honey, by your own definition I am already walkng in the light. You have never met me and so can not tell how prideful I am.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 6:33:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/30/2010 3:33:29 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/30/2010 3:17:28 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/29/2010 3:29:37 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/29/2010 2:41:28 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/28/2010 10:31:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/28/2010 4:30:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/23/2010 5:23:09 PM, Yvette wrote:
Forgive me if I get something wrong (I probably will) or say something stupid (I probably will), I'm not well versed in mythology. I know what I'm bringing up isn't new, I'm just curious.

As I understand it, Egyptians had a myth much like the Jesus story (Ra/Horus/Aten) long before Jesus came along. I'm curious how people who believe in the Jesus story as written in the Bible reconcile their beliefs with this, considering the Egyptian version was first, by far--especially in the light of things like monomyth and victim cultures absorbing aspects of their conquerers' religion, mythology, practices, language, etc. (Mexico/Spain, England/France, Japan/America, etc).

(Here's where I'm probably going to get something wrong as well. But as far as I'm concerned Jesus probably existed, just not in the way his "biography" may have embellished it) It seems fairly likely that the Hebrews retained Egyptian culture and mythology and that influenced how he was seen or talked about. Exaggeration, whitewashing and retroactively changing things aren't unheard of at all--just look at America's founding history.

So how do Christians deal with that? Or am I totally wrong? I could very well be, but not trying to disprove Christianity or anything. Just curious--do you ignore it? Have some way you know it's not true (which will proceed to embarrass me)? Etc?

We (Christians) understand that the 'god of this world' , satan, is a liar and 'the father of lies'.
He is a counterfeiter; so he counterfeits Christ's more than anything. Indeed, in the last days there shall be many false Christ's.

The Gospels are an accurate history of Jesus Christs' ministry, by those who know Him best.

Repent (turn from your own selfish desires to God) and believe the Good News! (that Jesus Christ has DEFEATED DEATH)

That seems like a good deal, may I review the evidence for your claim?

It's an amazing deal.. the ONLY deal left to us.

Review away, Tarzan.

Show me the evidence then please sugar tits.

You MUST walk in the light (OR IN LEAST YOUR OWN ACCOUNT TARZAN) before you may recieve further illumination..

AS you have been instructed on numerous occasions.

But your PRIDE seperates you from the saving knowledge of Christ.

But honey, by your own definition I am already walkng in the light. You have never met me and so can not tell how prideful I am.

Yea, where is this evidence?

Maybe it's somewhere in this post... http://www.ex-christian.net...
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 3:32:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/30/2010 3:33:29 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You MUST walk in the light (OR IN LEAST YOUR OWN ACCOUNT TARZAN) before you may recieve further illumination..

AS you have been instructed on numerous occasions.

But your PRIDE seperates you from the saving knowledge of Christ.

But honey, by your own definition I am already walkng in the light. You have never met me and so can not tell how prideful I am.

No Tarzan, my definition was referring to Christians.

The advice on walking in the light is to those of lesser heart who cannot make that initial leap of faith.
The Cross.. the Cross.