Jump to topic:

How should I pick a belief system?

Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:05:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have been thinking I might give each of the main stream faiths a go to see which one suits me, if any.
Is it wrong to faith hop to see which brand I prefer or otherwise?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:10:17 PM
At 1/23/2015 7:05:58 PM, Kreakin wrote:
I have been thinking I might give each of the main stream faiths a go to see which one suits me, if any.

I would explore a faith which plays to your mental well-being, with a good sense of community. I tried out Buddhism for a while myself, I liked some bits of it and had problems with other bits (such as the heirachal construct).

More importantly, stay the f*ck away from faiths that tell you what you should believe and make large unsupported claims for itself. Religion is good for finding meaning and purpose in your life, but not to good for controlling your life and what you think, so consider that when comparing them.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:13:15 PM

Sir that is exactly what you need to do. Nobody knows which one is the "true god", and nobody knows if gods really exist. So the best you can do is to look for a belief system that really suits you and actualy develops what you already think. It would be pointless to stick to a faith that opposes your own values (well unless you recognize you are a horrible person and you want to change), so you need to find one that reinforces those values. Also reading about "mainstream faiths" will give you quite a good amount of knowledge about "mainstream cultures", and that will probably make you a more tolerant person.

And if in the end you find no faith that suits you, maybe you need to try with a "faithless" philosophy. May I suggest nihilism? Come to the darkside...!!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:13:46 PM

Yes it is wrong, faith isn't like rooting for a sports team. My suggestion would be to read about some of the great minds. My favorites are Plato, Jesus, and Kant. It would be prudent to read about Muhammad, Ghandi, Buddha, and perhaps some Eastern thinkers.

In my opinion, you are at your purest point right now. By trying to believe different faiths, you only stand to close your mind. Stay open-minded and objective. It's sort of like finding a husband or wife - instead of looking to get hitched, hold out as long as you can so that you can be assured only the best one will win you over.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:28:29 PM
My curiosity is peaked as to the psychological benefits of Faiths. I use Zen mindfulness as part of the CBT I use at work with people.
Perhaps my reasons for wanting to look into faith is very self serving and a touch academic rather than really wanting to believe in anything.
Is that still a valid reason to attend places of worship and befriend people there, I'm not sure it's not a little condescending and that a welcome would be in store if I was honest.

Though there would be mutual benefit in being in a close community setting.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:31:37 PM

Day 1) Convert to islam
Day 2) Convert to something else
Day 3) Get killed for being an apostate
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:39:25 PM

1. Look at Doge.

2. Realize you should be worshiping him.

3. ????

4. Profit.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:38:37 PM
I just did a google search for "comparitive religion online". There's a wealth of information out there. My only advice would be to avoid any that are in any way sponsored by a religious group. I took a comparitive religion course at a local community college. It was pretty good, and not that expensive.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:44:39 PM
At 1/23/2015 7:13:15 PM, Otokage wrote:

Sir that is exactly what you need to do. Nobody knows which one is the "true god", and nobody knows if gods really exist. So the best you can do is to look for a belief system that really suits you and actualy develops what you already think. It would be pointless to stick to a faith that opposes your own values (well unless you recognize you are a horrible person and you want to change), so you need to find one that reinforces those values. Also reading about "mainstream faiths" will give you quite a good amount of knowledge about "mainstream cultures", and that will probably make you a more tolerant person.

And if in the end you find no faith that suits you, maybe you need to try with a "faithless" philosophy. May I suggest nihilism? Come to the darkside...!!

Nihilism sucks. I still want to try setting a nihilist church someday though....
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:50:56 PM

You do not need a faith. You just need to explore the world and think about things on your own. I didn't just up and decide to be a Buddhist, but it closely fit with thoughts I already had about the universe and people in general.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:54:01 PM
At 1/23/2015 8:50:56 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

You do not need a faith. You just need to explore the world and think about things on your own. I didn't just up and decide to be a Buddhist, but it closely fit with thoughts I already had about the universe and people in general.

I am studying Budhism now. I find it fits what I value. But I can see how it would not fit all.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:48:57 PM

Not at all. It will help you find the spiritual happiness you need. Here's some ways you can seek that inner peace.

1. Discuss the personal beliefs of this person who is of the religion your interested in. Get their testimony and ask questions.

2. Read. Not just some of their holy books or whatever, but books that are written from their perspective. For example, if your interested in Christianity, "Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief" and "Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism" are good reads.

3. Lectures. I don't think I need to explain this one.

4. Engage in full out discussions.

These are my suggestions. Hope you find the right one. ^^
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:40:53 PM

I assure you, a dart board is the solution to your dilemma.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:50:35 PM

The best religion or faith is that of the seeker, great advice from others so far. Your religion should be your own in the end.
Classified
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:56:17 PM

No problem in that...
Everybody is able to choose which faith to follow.
Classified
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:01:27 AM

No problem in that...
Everybody has a choice of what faith to follow...
Classified
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:04:24 AM
At 1/24/2015 12:01:27 AM, Classified wrote:

No problem in that...
Everybody has a choice of what faith to follow...

Sorry, duplicate post...
Paleophyte
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:47:42 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:38:37 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I just did a google search for "comparitive religion online". There's a wealth of information out there. My only advice would be to avoid any that are in any way sponsored by a religious group.

Quite the contrary, you should look very closely at religions described by other religious groups. This will tell you nothing about the religion being described but more than you may want to know about the ones who wrote the description.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 4:46:51 AM
At 1/23/2015 8:44:39 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/23/2015 7:13:15 PM, Otokage wrote:

Nihilism sucks. I still want to try setting a nihilist church someday though....

Will Nietzche's Zarathustra be our prophet? Yes please.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 5:16:37 AM

Choose islam, it is a true religion.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:33:02 AM

Oh no, accessorizing with religions is all the fashion rage these days.

But, why would you want a faith. have you become disenfranchised and bored with reason, logic and rationale? There are far better fantasies to become involved with that have better stories and characters than any religion can offer.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:37:04 AM
At 1/24/2015 5:16:37 AM, uncung wrote:

Yes, especially if you plan on going to war, the Quran will provide a guide to splitting up the spoils of war and how to place the women and children into slavery.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 9:50:40 AM

There's nothing wrong with what you believe in right now. You have no knowledge about the future so why worry about it.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 11:03:57 PM

Yes, especially if you plan on going to war, the Quran will provide a guide to splitting up the spoils of war and how to place the women and children into slavery.

Yes quran regulates warfare in a true path.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 11:25:04 PM

Toss a coin. They are all the same in the sense that they all believe in mythical characters.
You can join them in their belief and be bound by religious laws and rituals or choose to not believe in mythical characters and not be bound by religious laws and rituals.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:58:59 AM

I don't think you should base your religious affiliation on which one you prefer but on which one (if any) you have good reason to think is true. There's no point in joining a religion that isn't true just because you prefer it.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:33:44 AM

You should try the belief system of science first, as it requires a little less faith than the others. Or Atheism if you prefer, they are certainly not the same, and Atheism requires more faith, but less than religions.
When you see the problems with Science as a belief system, you will be better prepared to consider the others.

In the end very few people pick one exact belief system. They meld what they find or is presented to them, with what feels right to them.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 8:40:24 AM
At 1/24/2015 11:03:57 PM, uncung wrote:

Yes quran regulates warfare in a true path.

That is why your religion needs to be rejected by everyone in order for there to be peace in the world.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 8:51:42 AM
That is why your religion needs to be rejected by everyone in order for there to be peace in the world.

Of course disbelievers so far reject islam to be exact.