Jump to topic:

The Problem of 2 Cor. 6:14

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 10:29:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Now the word used for Unequally yoked together is Heterozugeo. It is defined as the following. "to come under an unequal or different yoke, to be unequally yoked to have fellowship with one who is not an equal: 2Cor 6:14, where the apostle is forbidding Christians to have intercourse with idolaters."

This may read as a verse to combat against Christians dating non Christians or people of different faiths can not mingle together, but it is not so. This merely says a Christian cannot worship in the same church or home with one who is of another religion or non religion. This is dealing with idoltry, one of the Apostle Paul's favorite topics. We obviously know there isn't going to be a good marriage with two different faiths. One is bound to fall due to compromise or a sudden change of heart.

The main part to remember is UNEQUALLY YOKED is the language in the definition. What's Unequally Yoked? Well animals have differences, so they aren't exactly as moral as us. Especially if you count the peaceful Bonobos. But if we are all sinners, then irregardless of religion, you should still be able to mingle and talk to them. How else do you plan to evangelize? Sit on the street and shout people away. This rarely saves. CS Lewis thought he could convert people to Atheism. His friend Tolkien spent time with him. I'm pretty sure Tolkien would've been condemned if the modern Christian met him. However, we see him as a hero in the Christian world for inspiring CS Lewis. We still see several instances of this today. We should not mix the light and dark together when it comes to the concept of the good and bad, but how are we better.

If you don't want to date an atheist, whatever. Your call. But if this verse reads to you as in do not mingle or associate yourselves with them just because they are non believers and are unequal in spirit, what gives you that right to cast the judgment down? Chances are that he was you. Most likely going to be judged. Shouldn't that make you want to friend him and save him more instead of shunning him and shoving him away?

1 Corinthians 9:22 says something of empathy and evangelizing. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

I want to save people such as Jodybirdy, Envisage, and others who I think need Christ in their life. I will not force it, but if I ever get chances to talk to them, I will be kind and will do my best to evangelize in my own flavor so that when they drink the gift of salvation, it becomes a flavor of sweetness and warmth. Now if you thought a dirty thought from that, hey you ain't alone. But it proves my point even further. Little mental exercise.

Anyways, the point I am getting at: Learn to love one another. You should not worship together with non believers of your views, but you are required to mingle with them. Jesus after all hung out with people who were not believers at first, but then they did. The Apostle Paul was a fine example. A Jew who hated Christians until Jesus decided to make him his most influential Apostle. If we are to think WWJD, Jesus would talk to people and mingle, while converting them with kindness and tenderness. Amen.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 10:35:19 PM
At 1/25/2015 10:29:47 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Now the word used for Unequally yoked together is Heterozugeo. It is defined as the following. "to come under an unequal or different yoke, to be unequally yoked to have fellowship with one who is not an equal: 2Cor 6:14, where the apostle is forbidding Christians to have intercourse with idolaters."

This may read as a verse to combat against Christians dating non Christians or people of different faiths can not mingle together, but it is not so. This merely says a Christian cannot worship in the same church or home with one who is of another religion or non religion. This is dealing with idoltry, one of the Apostle Paul's favorite topics. We obviously know there isn't going to be a good marriage with two different faiths. One is bound to fall due to compromise or a sudden change of heart.

The main part to remember is UNEQUALLY YOKED is the language in the definition. What's Unequally Yoked? Well animals have differences, so they aren't exactly as moral as us. Especially if you count the peaceful Bonobos. But if we are all sinners, then irregardless of religion, you should still be able to mingle and talk to them. How else do you plan to evangelize? Sit on the street and shout people away. This rarely saves. CS Lewis thought he could convert people to Atheism. His friend Tolkien spent time with him. I'm pretty sure Tolkien would've been condemned if the modern Christian met him. However, we see him as a hero in the Christian world for inspiring CS Lewis. We still see several instances of this today. We should not mix the light and dark together when it comes to the concept of the good and bad, but how are we better.

If you don't want to date an atheist, whatever. Your call. But if this verse reads to you as in do not mingle or associate yourselves with them just because they are non believers and are unequal in spirit, what gives you that right to cast the judgment down? Chances are that he was you. Most likely going to be judged. Shouldn't that make you want to friend him and save him more instead of shunning him and shoving him away?

1 Corinthians 9:22 says something of empathy and evangelizing. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

I want to save people such as Jodybirdy, Envisage, and others who I think need Christ in their life. I will not force it, but if I ever get chances to talk to them, I will be kind and will do my best to evangelize in my own flavor so that when they drink the gift of salvation, it becomes a flavor of sweetness and warmth. Now if you thought a dirty thought from that, hey you ain't alone. But it proves my point even further. Little mental exercise.

Anyways, the point I am getting at: Learn to love one another. You should not worship together with non believers of your views, but you are required to mingle with them. Jesus after all hung out with people who were not believers at first, but then they did. The Apostle Paul was a fine example. A Jew who hated Christians until Jesus decided to make him his most influential Apostle. If we are to think WWJD, Jesus would talk to people and mingle, while converting them with kindness and tenderness. Amen.

This has nothing to do with what the testimonies of us saints. The Roman Catholic's governing body ( Vatican, or Papal ) is where the rules were made and added to their new testament to control their Christians. God knew that us saints and believers would be involved with unbelievers in this world. It's impossible for us not to be involved with them.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 10:51:56 PM
At 1/25/2015 10:35:19 PM, bornofgod wrote:

This has nothing to do with what the testimonies of us saints. The Roman Catholic's governing body ( Vatican, or Papal ) is where the rules were made and added to their new testament to control their Christians. God knew that us saints and believers would be involved with unbelievers in this world. It's impossible for us not to be involved with them.

Of course it's impossible for it to have nothing to do with about the testimonies of saints because it's not supposed to.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 10:55:34 PM
At 1/25/2015 10:51:56 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 1/25/2015 10:35:19 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Of course it's impossible for it to have nothing to do with about the testimonies of saints because it's not supposed to.

Can you restate this sentence in a coherent way?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 3:13:44 AM

So, there's no problem with 2 Cor. 6:14?

How many people have you converted CP
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:38:50 AM
At 1/26/2015 3:13:44 AM, ethang5 wrote:

I don't know. I don't have people come to me and say "you have inspired me." But if I ever meet somebody and notice changes, then I can tell. But religion can also just be personal. Like it amazed me to learn Alice Cooper was a Christian who even played Golf with RC Sproul. The Misfits plays horror punk music and though their former singer, Danzig, is a satanist, the bassist reveals he is a family man and a Christian. He even went as far to say Danzig just needed to accept Jesus Christ. So these people may be Christians, but I don't know it.

The problem that I was stating is the modern day interpretation by a majority of its users.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 7:43:42 AM
At 1/26/2015 6:38:50 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

I don't know. I don't have people come to me and say "you have inspired me." But if I ever meet somebody and notice changes, then I can tell. But religion can also just be personal. Like it amazed me to learn Alice Cooper was a Christian who even played Golf with RC Sproul. The Misfits plays horror punk music and though their former singer, Danzig, is a satanist, the bassist reveals he is a family man and a Christian. He even went as far to say Danzig just needed to accept Jesus Christ. So these people may be Christians, but I don't know it.

The problem that I was stating is the modern day interpretation by a majority of its users.

ok. You said,

If we are to think WWJD, Jesus would talk to people and mingle, while converting them with kindness and tenderness.

Jesus knew those He converted. Sometimes He sought them out to convert them, (like the woman at the well). The Bible says we should bear fruit (convert others) and that we should seek out the lost to bring them back to God. How is it that you claim to have no fruit or even know of any that may be yours?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 7:45:19 AM

More silly nonsense!
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 8:17:07 AM
At 1/26/2015 7:43:42 AM, ethang5 wrote:

ok. You said,

If we are to think WWJD, Jesus would talk to people and mingle, while converting them with kindness and tenderness.

Jesus knew those He converted. Sometimes He sought them out to convert them, (like the woman at the well). The Bible says we should bear fruit (convert others) and that we should seek out the lost to bring them back to God. How is it that you claim to have no fruit or even know of any that may be yours?

Because I am not God, unlike Jesus.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 8:19:04 AM
At 1/26/2015 7:45:19 AM, JJ50 wrote:

More silly nonsense!

To you.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 8:35:13 AM

ok. You said,

Jesus didn't convert anyone. He was a saint who preached the gospel to find God's chosen believers who listened to him. The gospel is the voice of the Lord ( knowledge of God ) that we saints testify to.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 8:50:31 AM
At 1/26/2015 8:35:13 AM, bornofgod wrote:

ok. You said,

Jesus didn't convert anyone. He was a saint who preached the gospel to find God's chosen believers who listened to him. The gospel is the voice of the Lord ( knowledge of God ) that we saints testify to.

You're a saint are you? That is VERY FUNNY! I think you a very human guy with a high opinion of yourself, definitely NOT a saint, lol!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 10:08:31 AM
At 1/26/2015 8:50:31 AM, JJ50 wrote:

ok. You said,

You're a saint are you? That is VERY FUNNY! I think you a very human guy with a high opinion of yourself, definitely NOT a saint, lol!

I'm God's last saint and the only one since 1700 years ago. When I'm killed soon, it will end the 1,000 year reign of Christ, which is the time God used us saints to testify to His knowledge and teach us who we are in Him.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:41:07 PM
At 1/26/2015 8:17:07 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

ok. You said,

So it was silly of God to tell us to do these thing? Was Jesus serious when He said He expected such things from us?
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:45:59 PM
At 1/26/2015 12:41:07 PM, ethang5 wrote:

ok. You said,

So it was silly of God to tell us to do these thing? Was Jesus serious when He said He expected such things from us?

He said to convert, but how do you know one is truly converted? Surely not just because he says it?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:18:56 PM

From Aquinas:

He says therefore, Do not be mismated [bear the yoke] with unbelievers. Here it should be noted that a yoke is anything which binds several to do something. Hence, because some come together sometimes to do something good, which is from God, and some to do something evil, which is from the devil, we speak of God"s yoke and the devil"s yoke. God"s yoke is charity, which binds a man to serve God: "Take my yoke upon you" (Matt. 11:29). But the devil"s yoke is for doing evil: "The yoke of his burden" (Is. 9:4). Therefore he says this: Do not be mismated, i.e., do not take part in works of unbelief, with unbelievers; and this for two reasons. First, because there were some among them who considered themselves wiser, not refraining from idolatry; as a result they scandalized the lowly. But there were others who took part with the Jews in the traditions of their elders. Hence, the Apostle exhorts them and says, do not be mismated with unbelievers, i.e., do not communicate with the Jews in the traditions of the Law or with Gentiles in the worship of idols, for both groups were unbelievers.

http://dhspriory.org...
topoftheworld
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 4:32:09 PM
At 1/26/2015 10:08:31 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/26/2015 8:50:31 AM, JJ50 wrote:

ok. You said,

I'm God's last saint and the only one since 1700 years ago. When I'm killed soon, it will end the 1,000 year reign of Christ, which is the time God used us saints to testify to His knowledge and teach us who we are in Him.

That is an interesting statement.

Why do you believe in Amillennialism ?
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:22:39 PM
At 1/27/2015 4:30:35 PM, topoftheworld wrote:

What does that have to do with what I posted? I am not challenging or questioning Christ's reign when he comes to Earth.
topoftheworld
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:25:34 PM
At 1/27/2015 5:22:39 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

What does that have to do with what I posted? I am not challenging or questioning Christ's reign when he comes to Earth.

Nothing just a question.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:27:46 PM
At 1/27/2015 5:25:34 PM, topoftheworld wrote:

Nothing just a question.

You should ask the question based on facts. I don't believe in Amillennialism.
topoftheworld
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:32:35 PM
At 1/27/2015 5:27:46 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 1/27/2015 5:25:34 PM, topoftheworld wrote:

Nothing just a question.

You should ask the question based on facts. I don't believe in Amillennialism.

I didn't ask you I asked bornofgod
Paleophyte
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:32:51 PM

irregardless

When you get to the gates of hell tell them that this is why you are here.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 6:21:15 PM
At 1/27/2015 5:32:51 PM, Paleophyte wrote:

irregardless

When you get to the gates of hell tell them that this is why you are here.

How do you know if I am going to hell?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 12:02:54 PM
At 1/26/2015 12:45:59 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 1/26/2015 12:41:07 PM, ethang5 wrote:

ok. You said,

He said to convert, but how do you know one is truly converted? Surely not just because he says it?

Ah, thus you will ignore the commandment until you can read human hearts? You good servant you! For my part I just try. Jesus will sort out the true from the false. My job is just to try. But when you do get that reading human hearts thing going, you're gonna make up for lost time and then some!

Good luck.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 12:33:09 PM

Sorry, I don;t see teh problem with that.

As far as being unevenbly yolked, that appliues to worship, marriage and business in partnership terms anyway.

The reason for that being that not only will you have religioujs doifferences you will also have very different life ambitions.

For instance a non-believee wil want to devote more time to making money that a believer, who will be more aware of the greater importance of spiritual things.

I realise that I am personally going somewhat against that advice, for numerous reasons, not least of which being my currently disfellowshipped state restricting my options, but I have chosen my future wife very carefully in order to minise any clashes and disagreements.

I admit the fact that she has, of her own volition, chosen to attend meetings near her home in order to learn what makes me the perfect husand she views me as is encouraging.

It may never be wise to marry or take on a business commitment, with soneone of another faith, or no faith at all,, but neither is it inevitably problematic either.