Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:05:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/25/2015 11:08:12 PM, Beastt wrote:
Who first told you that God exists?

How did they know?

What I want to know is why either of those things matter. Where you get information from does not render that information incorrect. If i read the Earth is round in a children's book I may not get it from a good source, but that doesn't make the knowledge false.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:11:09 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:05:59 AM, Geneaux wrote:

How did they know?

What I want to know is why either of those things matter. Where you get information from does not render that information incorrect. If i read the Earth is round in a children's book I may not get it from a good source, but that doesn't make the knowledge false.

I'd say a children's book that is educational and scientifically correct is an excellent source of information for a child. But you didn't answer the question in the OP. You skirted it.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:12:36 AM

How did they know?

It all comes back to their holy book. Rather it's how they heard or it came from their folks which got it from the bible. So it's all just the bible or other books.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:18:44 AM

How did they know?

My mother and my Sunday school told me. When I realized that they didn't know and it was all based on faith and that the stories I had been told were physically impossible, I questioned it. I learned very fast not to question adult theists because they told me I was ignorant for asking such questions. They still do to this day. So I read about astronomy and biology instead. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I was right all along. Don't question grownups why they believe in myths. :D
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:25:13 AM

How did they know?

I first heard it from a school teacher at religious instructions in primary school.
I guess they believed it because someone told them it was true and that someone obviously heard it from someone else and so forth in an infinite cycle of being passed down from one generation to the next till no one can find an original beginning for the concept so many stories are made up about the beginnings.

Superstition has always been part of human life according to history. Obviously it is still a huge part of many peoples lives.
A few grow up and stop being superstitious and drop any belief in invisible characters.
Others drop most belief in invisible characters except one to which they hold on like a security blanket just in case he does exist and they might be punished for not believing in him.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:35:21 AM

How did they know?

My parents, and I'm sure they learned it from their parents.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:39:45 AM

How did they know?

The situation is more that you've been told the Earth is flat, and took that to be true on the word of people who didn't know. And that's why it matters. Isaiah 40:22 tells us the Earth is round ("chwug"), and the Hebrew "chwug" means as that described by a compass - a round flat shape. The correct Hebrew term for "sphere" would be "dur" (ball-shaped), which is used elsewhere in the Bible, but not in describing the shape of Earth.

See how wrong you can be by believing what ancient people who were wrong, wrote?

Now perhaps you'd care to answer the question.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Geneaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:50:38 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:11:09 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

How did they know?

I'd say a children's book that is educational and scientifically correct is an excellent source of information for a child. But you didn't answer the question in the OP. You skirted it.

No I answered it fine. It's illogical to assert that where information came from or how someone knows information makes it incorrect, as OP is now doing. God bless you!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:52:49 AM

My grandmother.

How did they know?

Are you calling her a liar? I'll &*%$*&^% kill you!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:55:56 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:52:49 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

My grandmother.

How did they know?

Lying is intentional deception. Most religious deception is unintentional. Now... how did your grandmother know?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:59:10 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:50:38 AM, Geneaux wrote:

How did they know?

No I answered it fine. It's illogical to assert that where information came from or how someone knows information makes it incorrect, as OP is now doing. God bless you!

It's completely logical to ask where information came from and if the person who gave you that information provided you with sources. Gesundheit!
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:04:05 AM

How did they know?

It is completely logical to question the source of information. If someone told you they believed in leprechauns and cited a box of lucky charms cereal as their source, would that be relevant to the truth value of the claim?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:05:14 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:55:56 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/26/2015 12:52:49 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

My grandmother.

How did they know?

Lying is intentional deception. Most religious deception is unintentional. Now... how did your grandmother know?

That's a good question. A better question would be: how did you make that creepy profile pic?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Geneaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:33:56 AM
At 1/26/2015 1:04:05 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

How did they know?

It is completely logical to question the source of information. If someone told you they believed in leprechauns and cited a box of lucky charms cereal as their source, would that be relevant to the truth value of the claim?

It wouldn't have any effect on the truth value of the claim. Where claims come from do not make them true or false.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 2:08:37 AM

How did they know?

My hairdryer
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 2:18:39 AM

I don't remember who first told me, but by the time they did tell me, I already knew. This question is like asking, "Who first told you that girls were attractive?" I'm sure somewhere in my childhood someone mentioned that girls were pretty and that I would someday marry. But it wasn't necessary that I be told.

How did they know?

I assume the same way that I knew. I could feel it in my heart and it made logical sense. It was only later that I found the Bible which explained the human experience and purpose in a clear way that science could not.

Why do you ask?
Classified
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:20:55 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:12:36 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

How did they know?

It all comes back to their holy book. Rather it's how they heard or it came from their folks which got it from the bible. So it's all just the bible or other books.

Not only that but I also have experience of God's spirit in me.
It's not coincidence. I know my own experience the best.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:26:43 AM
Of course no one knows if the deity exist, those that say they know for sure are lying.

My parents were Christians of the ghastly 'born again' ilk, and so I had 'earache' from them about getting 'saved' throughout my childhood, YUCK!
yepIdid52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:45:38 AM
My mom. Her mother taught her & and other 10 siblings. I suppose that was handed down for many years. I am Agnostic. My son is an Atheist. And that, is that. Good question!
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:15:46 AM

Nobody had to tell me anything, as far back as I can remember I believed in a God, I have no idea how I knew the concept all I know is that I knew and talked to Him. There was never a time in my life where I didn't believe there was a God, I have always understood a spiritual existence I just sensed it and learned from it, it wasn't until later when I consciously decided to pursue God within Christianity. It's the spiritual connection to what I believe and what the scriptures teach that bind them together, the spiritual truth in scripture is flawless.

How did they know?

I just knew, I never doubted or believed different.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:26:41 AM
At 1/26/2015 6:15:46 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Nobody had to tell me anything, as far back as I can remember I believed in a God, I have no idea how I knew the concept all I know is that I knew and talked to Him. There was never a time in my life where I didn't believe there was a God, I have always understood a spiritual existence I just sensed it and learned from it, it wasn't until later when I consciously decided to pursue God within Christianity. It's the spiritual connection to what I believe and what the scriptures teach that bind them together, the spiritual truth in scripture is flawless.

How did they know?

How sad, in my opinion!
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:28:38 AM
At 1/26/2015 6:26:41 AM, JJ50 wrote:

How did they know?

How sad, in my opinion!

That doesn't surprise me.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:33:57 AM

How did they know?

How sad, in my opinion!

Is there anything else you'd like to add lol?? Why don't you just get it off your chest....
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:36:19 AM
At 1/26/2015 6:33:57 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

How did they know?

How sad, in my opinion!

Is there anything else you'd like to add lol?? Why don't you just get it off your chest....

How can people who believe in the literal truth of that not so good book, think the evil deity portrayed therein is good?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:40:48 AM
At 1/26/2015 6:36:19 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 1/26/2015 6:33:57 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

How did they know?

How sad, in my opinion!

How can people who believe in the literal truth of that not so good book, think the evil deity portrayed therein is good?

Speaking my opinion will not change yours, that I'm sure.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:43:09 AM
At 1/26/2015 4:20:55 AM, Classified wrote:

How did they know?

Well that I have to ask. How do you KNOW its not an illusion from the devil. I can say personal experience is the same for me, but it doesn't mean I have absolute knowledge. I just believe it is God due to my ability to comprehend what I've been given. The only way to absolutely know is to have all the knowledge in the world. The only way for that possible conclusion is if your God.
Classified
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:55:57 AM
At 1/26/2015 6:43:09 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 1/26/2015 4:20:55 AM, Classified wrote:

How did they know?

Well that I have to ask. How do you KNOW its not an illusion from the devil. I can say personal experience is the same for me, but it doesn't mean I have absolute knowledge. I just believe it is God due to my ability to comprehend what I've been given. The only way to absolutely know is to have all the knowledge in the world. The only way for that possible conclusion is if your God.

I'm not God. All men are created equal. Nobody has all knowledge. Only God has all-knowledge and I'm not God.

I always think about it and ponder about the situation to see if it is from the devil. If it is, then I would tell it to go away and stop bothering me in the name of Jesus Christ...

But obstacles like the ones I have faced, I have pondered. I always think. Blue hat...
May the devil lose its battles against God.

Thanks anyway, you give me more to think about.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:59:21 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:18:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

How did they know?

My mother and my Sunday school told me. When I realized that they didn't know and it was all based on faith and that the stories I had been told were physically impossible, I questioned it. I learned very fast not to question adult theists because they told me I was ignorant for asking such questions. They still do to this day. So I read about astronomy and biology instead. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I was right all along. Don't question grownups why they believe in myths. :D
^
Same here! :D
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 7:48:59 AM

How did they know?

My parents weren't religious per se. They may have mentioned God in my early childhood, but I don't recall. My first recollection of "God" was from a TV show my father was watching in the early 60s that talked about how God was dead.

By my early teens I harbored strong doubts about God's existence. To the best of my recollection, I can honestly say that nobody first told me that God exists. I made that determination on my own.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.