Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Religion = Bondage

drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 1:49:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Interesting. If I say I believe in God on this forum, a slew of Atheist are happy to debate. But in the posts where I suggest religions people should look at why they are of their religion, it's just crickets.
12_13
Posts: 1,365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 2:36:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person.

Maybe that is why it is said:

"If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32
Geogeer
Posts: 4,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 5:24:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:

Since you would like a discussion on this topic, I will provide you with one.

If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person.

Okay.

This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but could you provide evidence of this please?

Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths.

In one sense yes, and in another no. All paths to God must conform to the truth, because God is not abstract, but in fact the most "real thing" there is. As all things are from a perfect unchanging God they must conform to the Truth which is God.

Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire.

Are you sure of this? A purposeful rejection of the truth leads to a rejection of God. If you would rather love something other than the truth you could not bear to be in the presence of the truth. Thus God grants you the mercy of separation from Him.

It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

Define my way. I would agree with your statement that my personal view on God is fallible and that it is up to me to deepen my relationship with God and grow in a loving relationship with Him. That does not mean that my religion is false, only that I have not perfectly accepted it into my heart.

As for your original comment that religion is bondage, I fully agree with. It is a self-imposed bondage for a greater good. Like an athlete will forgo certain food and force himself to train for a greater goal, or like a student will focus her mind at a task in order to gain understanding. You would not look down on them for imposing bondage on themselves, yet you have a different standard for those of faith.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 7:02:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 5:24:18 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:

Since you would like a discussion on this topic, I will provide you with one.

If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person.

Okay.

This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but could you provide evidence of this please?

Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths.

In one sense yes, and in another no. All paths to God must conform to the truth, because God is not abstract, but in fact the most "real thing" there is. As all things are from a perfect unchanging God they must conform to the Truth which is God.

Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire.

Are you sure of this? A purposeful rejection of the truth leads to a rejection of God. If you would rather love something other than the truth you could not bear to be in the presence of the truth. Thus God grants you the mercy of separation from Him.

It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

Define my way. I would agree with your statement that my personal view on God is fallible and that it is up to me to deepen my relationship with God and grow in a loving relationship with Him. That does not mean that my religion is false, only that I have not perfectly accepted it into my heart.

As for your original comment that religion is bondage, I fully agree with. It is a self-imposed bondage for a greater good. Like an athlete will forgo certain food and force himself to train for a greater goal, or like a student will focus her mind at a task in order to gain understanding. You would not look down on them for imposing bondage on themselves, yet you have a different standard for those of faith.

I have never met anyone who said they know god exists but reject god. So everyone is on their own path towards finding God. Even athiests do not reject Gods truth, they simply cannot see it as truth yet. I believe all religions lead to God because life itself leads to an understanding of God.

As for bondage, your athlete example is temporary sacrifice not perminent bondage to one way. As for Bondage causing disrespect. When a christian tells an athiest or other non christian that they will go to hell if they do not accept christ. This is disrespectful. When the other person response calling them names, it escaltes.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 1:06:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

The word religion may carry the connotations of bondage but when you consider the implications of...
James 1:7 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

It is talking about being bound to a certain way of life which is more of a responsibility to our fellow man than a bondage in my perception.
None of us are bound to do good or to care for others in need but those who live a life of love and caring for others automatically help where they see a need.
That is much like an instinct. We are all bound to our own instincts.

Being bound to religious tradition and rituals is the kind of bondage from which Truth sets us free.
That is the kind of bondage Jesus was against.... binding people with heavy burdens of religious tradition which ties them to ritualistic idolatry, not practicing what they preach etc.

Matt 23.
BobbyPandaram
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 4:31:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

The statement is too generalised to be a justfied reason to conclude that Religion = Bondage.

If this be the criteria to draw a conclusion, I can very well say that Naturalism = Anarchy. Dawkins say that there is no good, no evil, no meaning, no purpose just pitiless difference and the universe is as we expect it to be and we are but the result of an unguided, mindless process. DNA just is and we dance to its music. This sounds like a licence to do anything since there is no reason to have rules.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 4:50:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I hope in the future all religion will die a death as meaningless fantasies. People should aim to be good, honest upright citizens because that makes life pleasant for all, rather than achieving some never never land heavenly reward.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 7:08:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/29/2015 4:31:11 AM, BobbyPandaram wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

The statement is too generalised to be a justfied reason to conclude that Religion = Bondage.

If this be the criteria to draw a conclusion, I can very well say that Naturalism = Anarchy. Dawkins say that there is no good, no evil, no meaning, no purpose just pitiless difference and the universe is as we expect it to be and we are but the result of an unguided, mindless process. DNA just is and we dance to its music. This sounds like a licence to do anything since there is no reason to have rules.

I believe in god but follow no religion. Naturalism does not mean anarchy just the study of nature. If you choose to live a meaningless life, that is your choice. Just as a life with purpose is. Beyond that Religion is the tool people use as a license to do anything. By Christian belief, a person could rape and kill many people then accept Jesus as their lord and savior and be saved.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 7:11:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/29/2015 1:06:32 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

The word religion may carry the connotations of bondage but when you consider the implications of...
James 1:7 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

It is talking about being bound to a certain way of life which is more of a responsibility to our fellow man than a bondage in my perception.
None of us are bound to do good or to care for others in need but those who live a life of love and caring for others automatically help where they see a need.
That is much like an instinct. We are all bound to our own instincts.

Being bound to religious tradition and rituals is the kind of bondage from which Truth sets us free.
That is the kind of bondage Jesus was against.... binding people with heavy burdens of religious tradition which ties them to ritualistic idolatry, not practicing what they preach etc.

Matt 23.

Always love your replies Sky, they are well stated and logical.
Martley
Posts: 126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 7:42:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

That would be the Argument Fallacy of Equivocation. You are taking advantage of the multiple meanings and etymologies of the word to mislead your reader. And you make the erroneous and misleading statement to appear that the etymology of the word is what you say it is... in hopes that your reader will assume your are correct... which you are not... the word "religion" has a diverse etymology and your claim is only one of many debated etymologies. In order for your position to be valid we must agree on the etymology of the term.... which we do not.

"If you look into the etymology of the word religion"... I encourage you to do exactly that, this time, without the blinders....

http://www.jstor.org...
A Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

The best time to do something was 20 years ago.... the second best to do something is now.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 8:15:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/29/2015 7:08:39 AM, drpiek wrote:
At 1/29/2015 4:31:11 AM, BobbyPandaram wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

The statement is too generalised to be a justfied reason to conclude that Religion = Bondage.

If this be the criteria to draw a conclusion, I can very well say that Naturalism = Anarchy. Dawkins say that there is no good, no evil, no meaning, no purpose just pitiless difference and the universe is as we expect it to be and we are but the result of an unguided, mindless process. DNA just is and we dance to its music. This sounds like a licence to do anything since there is no reason to have rules.


I believe in god but follow no religion. Naturalism does not mean anarchy just the study of nature. If you choose to live a meaningless life, that is your choice. Just as a life with purpose is. Beyond that Religion is the tool people use as a license to do anything. By Christian belief, a person could rape and kill many people then accept Jesus as their lord and savior and be saved.

Exactly! Someone as evil as Hitler could in theory have made a deathbed conversion and be waved through the pearly gates. A decent non-believer who has done a lot of good in their life, would burn in hell according to the Christian extremists!
Geogeer
Posts: 4,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 1:49:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 7:02:58 PM, drpiek wrote:
At 1/28/2015 5:24:18 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:

Since you would like a discussion on this topic, I will provide you with one.

If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person.

Okay.

This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but could you provide evidence of this please?

Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths.

In one sense yes, and in another no. All paths to God must conform to the truth, because God is not abstract, but in fact the most "real thing" there is. As all things are from a perfect unchanging God they must conform to the Truth which is God.

Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire.

Are you sure of this? A purposeful rejection of the truth leads to a rejection of God. If you would rather love something other than the truth you could not bear to be in the presence of the truth. Thus God grants you the mercy of separation from Him.

It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

Define my way. I would agree with your statement that my personal view on God is fallible and that it is up to me to deepen my relationship with God and grow in a loving relationship with Him. That does not mean that my religion is false, only that I have not perfectly accepted it into my heart.

As for your original comment that religion is bondage, I fully agree with. It is a self-imposed bondage for a greater good. Like an athlete will forgo certain food and force himself to train for a greater goal, or like a student will focus her mind at a task in order to gain understanding. You would not look down on them for imposing bondage on themselves, yet you have a different standard for those of faith.

I have never met anyone who said they know god exists but reject god. So everyone is on their own path towards finding God. Even athiests do not reject Gods truth, they simply cannot see it as truth yet. I believe all religions lead to God because life itself leads to an understanding of God.

So the mayans who sacrificed people to the Sun God were on the same path as Christians? This is one of those things that sounds nice on paper, but is not necessarily true.

Have atheists really not rejected God? Are you sure that they have not intentionally closed their hearts to God? Only God knows.

As for bondage, your athlete example is temporary sacrifice not perminent bondage to one way.

Temporary benefit - temporary sacrifice. Permanent benefit - permanent sacrifice.

As for Bondage causing disrespect. When a christian tells an athiest or other non christian that they will go to hell if they do not accept christ. This is disrespectful.

What if it is true? Is it disrespectful to tell someone that they are headed for bankruptcy if they keep on spending money like a drunken sailor? Now there are certainly better and worse ways to say something, but that does not mean that it is inherently disrespectful.

When the other person response calling them names, it escaltes.

As I said, there are better and worse ways to say or do things. Most of the time these people are used to discussing with other Christians where the understanding of Hell is nearly universally understood. Heck almost every faith has some concept of a negative consequence for an evil life.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 1:57:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 10:24:40 PM, drpiek wrote:
If you look into the etymology of the word religion you will realize it means to bind a person. This bondage is the cause of the disrespect in the debates on this forum. Each zealot of each religion assumes their way is the only way. Their religious teachings suggest gods power is limited to one path. God is obviously infinite and has infinite paths. Just because someone does not follow your select path does not mean they will end in hell fire. It is this human ego that suggests your way is the only way that causes all the problems in this world. Free your mind and find God!

Your wisdom came from the only one who is wise my friend. Wisdom frees us from the fears of this world. The world teaches us to fear.