Jump to topic:

Make a Religion

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 12:46:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't mean just for fun, or for people who are nonreligious.

For those who are religious; never mind what you are now( I know it's hard, but humor me). How would you want your religion to be?

For those who are nonreligious; just imagine that you were. How would you want it to be?

Assuming I was religious, I would probably believe in a God.
But I would say that the ONLY way to know God and to do his will is to have a personal relationship with him. I would deny all outside religious dogma. No bible or anything like that. Does that already exist? I dunno.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 12:50:20 PM
At 6/25/2010 12:46:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:

But I would say that the ONLY way to know God and to do his will is to have a personal relationship with him. I would deny all outside religious dogma. No bible or anything like that. Does that already exist? I dunno.

That certainly does exist although those people will claim to be "spiritual" rather than religious. My mom would probably fit under that category.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 1:09:09 PM
How bout a religion where the only path to heaven for attractive females is through sleeping with me?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 1:09:13 PM
I would want it based in spiritual principles and how that is connected with a higher power. I would not want dogmatic and archaic nonsense preached. The teachings of Christ are fine, but Paul is out. Paul hijacked the entire religion and made it something in his image. I would like it to inspire the individual to become more than they are, and to understand and define their purpose in the world.

Not a bad topic.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 1:11:24 PM
At 6/25/2010 1:09:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
How bout a religion where the only path to heaven for attractive females is through sleeping with me?

Is David Koresh in the house?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 2:49:35 PM

For those who are religious; never mind what you are now( I know it's hard, but humor me). How would you want your religion to be?

For those who are nonreligious; just imagine that you were. How would you want it to be?

Gnosticism and Sufism already have that.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 2:51:52 PM
Antifreedoism.

The belief that Freedo is annoying, and must be dispelled of immediately.

We also offer free personality tests.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 2:52:21 PM
At 6/25/2010 2:49:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You know i missed that portion of his post, not sure why. That is essentially my belief system.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 2:53:12 PM

That would significantly reduce the amount of people entering heaven. Most women will want to go to hell, but aside from that, how the frick do you plan to get these women into your house, let alone have them hump you, if you need to give a month's notice and planning permission to your mom to go on a bus?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 2:57:40 PM
At 6/25/2010 2:53:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

That would significantly reduce the amount of people entering heaven. Most women will want to go to hell, but aside from that, how the frick do you plan to get these women into your house, let alone have them hump you, if you need to give a month's notice and planning permission to your mom to go on a bus?

Hehe Valid question Panda... I believe the answer would be, "Oh sh*t. I'm going to die a virgin." :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 2:57:41 PM

Sufism is awesome.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:04:49 PM
At 6/25/2010 2:57:40 PM, annhasle wrote:

Hehe Valid question Panda... I believe the answer would be, "Oh sh*t. I'm going to die a virgin." :D

I'm expecting a witty response teeming with big words and some form of libertarian twist that would make Ayn rand proud.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:05:26 PM
At 6/25/2010 2:52:21 PM, innomen wrote:

You know i missed that portion of his post, not sure why. That is essentially my belief system.

Why haven't you converted to Gnosticism and leave Catholicism? Gnosticism was the very first Christian sect.

ReligiousTolerance.com: "Gnosticism involves the relational or experiential knowledge of God and of the divine or spiritual nature within us." - http://www.religioustolerance.org...

Yep, sounds like you.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:08:48 PM
At 6/25/2010 3:05:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/25/2010 2:52:21 PM, innomen wrote:

Why haven't you converted to Gnosticism and leave Catholicism? Gnosticism was the very first Christian sect.

ReligiousTolerance.com: "Gnosticism involves the relational or experiential knowledge of God and of the divine or spiritual nature within us." - http://www.religioustolerance.org...

Yep, sounds like you.

I am familiar with gnosticism, and know someone that is pretty up on it. I never really feel that i have to affiliate with something with perfection in order to identify with it. If this were the case i would never ever find a place where i fit. I typically don't fit in anywhere anyway, so you get used to it.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:17:12 PM
At 6/25/2010 3:08:48 PM, innomen wrote:
I never really feel that i have to affiliate with something with perfection in order to identify with it. If this were the case i would never ever find a place where i fit. I typically don't fit in anywhere anyway, so you get used to it.

So why identify as Catholic? What you just said kinda makes that choice arbitrary.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:28:24 PM
At 6/25/2010 3:17:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/25/2010 3:08:48 PM, innomen wrote:
I never really feel that i have to affiliate with something with perfection in order to identify with it. If this were the case i would never ever find a place where i fit. I typically don't fit in anywhere anyway, so you get used to it.

So why identify as Catholic? What you just said kinda makes that choice arbitrary.

I don't understand an need to have a perfect fit in order to belong. I go to mass, i like the sermons and generally agree with what is said. Why shouldn't i call myself a Catholic?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:31:12 PM
At 6/25/2010 3:28:24 PM, innomen wrote:

I don't understand an need to have a perfect fit in order to belong. I go to mass, i like the sermons and generally agree with what is said. Why shouldn't i call myself a Catholic?

Because you don't have a single Catholic belief. You reject the Bible (a book compiled by the Catholic Church) and you reject a middleman between you and God (the priest).

You say that your religious path only involves you and your relationship to God. That's Christian Gnosticisim, not Catholicism.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:33:04 PM
At 6/25/2010 3:31:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/25/2010 3:28:24 PM, innomen wrote:

Because you don't have a single Catholic belief. You reject the Bible (a book compiled by the Catholic Church) and you reject a middleman between you and God (the priest).

You say that your religious path only involves you and your relationship to God. That's Christian Gnosticisim, not Catholicism.

OKay, i'll be at gnostic mass this Sunday.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:38:20 PM
At 6/25/2010 3:33:04 PM, innomen wrote:

Great! Here's a link.

http://www.gclvx.org...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 3:50:58 PM
The Church of the Holy Rothbard
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:16:46 PM
At 6/25/2010 3:04:49 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/25/2010 2:57:40 PM, annhasle wrote:

I'm expecting a witty response teeming with big words and some form of libertarian twist that would make Ayn rand proud.

The path to heaven for the ugly women is handling the logistics. Among other things providing a new house.

(Come now, libertarian twist? It's a joke religion that would be literally impossible to get any libertarian to follow even if you replaced me with someone far more attractive).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:26:19 PM
Also, come fall they'll just have to get to a college campus. Much more convenient :P
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:35:50 PM
- Dying with understanding of the truth/purpose in the universe leads to eternal satisfaction/heaven/entertainment.
- Dying without figuring everything out puts you back in (Reincarnation) and erases your memory
- One omniscient God, a Moderator that mocks you with hints
- Cursing this God results in more painful hints
- Worshiping or tributing (sucking up) to this God causes the Moderator to facepalm
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:38:46 PM
- Life is a test of courage.
- Intentional death results in eternal bliss.
- Accidental/natural death results in eternal torture.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:42:04 PM
At 6/25/2010 4:38:46 PM, wjmelements wrote:

So reward suicide? Torture those who have the urge to live?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:44:50 PM
- Life is a game.
- Perspiration is a sin.
- Flatulation is a sin.
- Eructation is a sin.
- An unknown/arbitrary number of sins results in death.
- Death leads to chronic, widespread aches and pains.
- Being the last one left of all those born on the same day as you results in eternal bliss.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:46:15 PM
At 6/25/2010 4:42:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/25/2010 4:38:46 PM, wjmelements wrote:

So reward suicide? Torture those who have the urge to live?

Encourage suicide. Torture and kill those that hold on. When all the world is dead, take your own life.
Anacharsis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2010 4:46:58 PM

Gnosticism does not deny religious dogma. Rather, through a direct experience of That-Which-Exists, the gnostic re-interprets religious dogma to get at the truths buried within it, enabling him to better elucidate these truths to others in a more universal way.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 7:45:50 AM
At 6/25/2010 3:38:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/25/2010 3:33:04 PM, innomen wrote:

Great! Here's a link.

http://www.gclvx.org...

Okay, i think it's a little too complicated. Who knew there was actually a gnostic mass?...oh you did of course. I still like making up my own rules as i think they make sense, but remain Catholic.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2010 7:46:35 AM
At 6/25/2010 4:46:58 PM, Anacharsis wrote:

Gnosticism does not deny religious dogma. Rather, through a direct experience of That-Which-Exists, the gnostic re-interprets religious dogma to get at the truths buried within it, enabling him to better elucidate these truths to others in a more universal way.

Interesting. Can you give an example?