Total Posts:67|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why is atheism...

dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 8:53:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

It is religion which has caused most of the wars over the centuries not non belief!
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 9:32:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'll refer you to the "new atheist" movement of soviet Russia under Stalin. Many religious establishments were destroyed and many priests were executed because they failed to align themselves with a godless philosophy.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 9:35:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 9:32:32 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
I'll refer you to the "new atheist" movement of soviet Russia under Stalin. Many religious establishments were destroyed and many priests were executed because they failed to align themselves with a godless philosophy.

Actually, that was socialism that Stalin supposedly worked under. Yes, he was brutal and his regime murdered many, but not in the name of atheism, but socialism. Got any better answers?
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 9:36:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 9:32:32 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
I'll refer you to the "new atheist" movement of soviet Russia under Stalin. Many religious establishments were destroyed and many priests were executed because they failed to align themselves with a godless philosophy.

Because Stalin obviously did what he did because of atheism... *Rolls eyes*
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:02:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Honestly, the only reason why atheism is not a major threat to religion is because it does not have enough followers. You are operating under the assumption that atheists are harmless due to the fact that they have never done terrible things against other religions, like other religions have done to others in the past. This is not true. If atheism somehow becomes the dominant belief in the world, then it is inevitable that the tables will turn and religious people will be persecuted. This is because people are not violent in the name of religion, they just use it as an excuse.
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:03:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 9:36:29 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 9:32:32 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
I'll refer you to the "new atheist" movement of soviet Russia under Stalin. Many religious establishments were destroyed and many priests were executed because they failed to align themselves with a godless philosophy.

Because Stalin obviously did what he did because of atheism... *Rolls eyes*

Stalin was actually pretty obviously Orthodox, yet he claimed to be atheist so as to rise in the Bolshevik party. I'm pretty sure that most of the Bolsheviks were secret Christians.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:06:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 9:58:42 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Actually it was. It was part of a Marxism-Leninism movement.

I'll leave this here for the both of you:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

Because that is atheism... *rolls eyes*

Seriously, you do know atheism entails nothing, right? It's a completely empty label. Much like 'theism' is.
BubbaJoe
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:08:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
christian here to anser you

atheists are satanic sinners that do not believ in god and spread their unholy agenda n are satanists and secretly worship lucifer
proud american conservative
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:11:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:02:28 AM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Honestly, the only reason why atheism is not a major threat to religion is because it does not have enough followers. You are operating under the assumption that atheists are harmless due to the fact that they have never done terrible things against other religions, like other religions have done to others in the past. This is not true. If atheism somehow becomes the dominant belief in the world, then it is inevitable that the tables will turn and religious people will be persecuted. This is because people are not violent in the name of religion, they just use it as an excuse.

"This is not true. If atheism somehow becomes the dominant belief in the world, then it is inevitable that the tables will turn and religious people will be persecuted. This is because people are not violent in the name of religion, they just use it as an excuse."

I disagree. Atheists have no 'excuse' and, speaking for myself, I don't really care what other people believe except when it affects me. I couldn't care less if someone wants to worship their god and put up a cross in their front yard. As long as you don't try to make laws based solely on your religion or try to impinge on others' rights, have at it. There are actually plenty of laws on the books right now to prevent just such things but religious people keep violating them and claiming it's their right to do so. A purely non-religious government would simply enforce the law. Persecution is wasteful, unnecessary, and divisive.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:13:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:08:29 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
christian here to anser you

atheists are satanic sinners that do not believ in god and spread their unholy agenda n are satanists and secretly worship lucifer

Quick bit of information for you. Atheists don't accept that God exists and the don't accept that Satan (or Lucifer, Beelzebub, or Old Scratch, whatever you want to call him) exists either. It's quite impossible to worship anything you don't even think is real. Just wanted you to know.
BubbaJoe
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:19:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:13:46 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:08:29 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
christian here to anser you

atheists are satanic sinners that do not believ in god and spread their unholy agenda n are satanists and secretly worship lucifer

Quick bit of information for you. Atheists don't accept that God exists and the don't accept that Satan (or Lucifer, Beelzebub, or Old Scratch, whatever you want to call him) exists either. It's quite impossible to worship anything you don't even think is real. Just wanted you to know.

thats what the atheist sinners whant you to believe
proud american conservative
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:22:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:19:08 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:13:46 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:08:29 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
christian here to anser you

atheists are satanic sinners that do not believ in god and spread their unholy agenda n are satanists and secretly worship lucifer

Quick bit of information for you. Atheists don't accept that God exists and the don't accept that Satan (or Lucifer, Beelzebub, or Old Scratch, whatever you want to call him) exists either. It's quite impossible to worship anything you don't even think is real. Just wanted you to know.

thats what the atheist sinners whant you to believe

Dude, I am an agnostic atheist and I know exactly what I believe. I'd suggest you actually ask someone before making such sweeping statements with absolutely no substantive support.
BubbaJoe
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:24:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:22:10 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:19:08 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:13:46 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:08:29 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
christian here to anser you

atheists are satanic sinners that do not believ in god and spread their unholy agenda n are satanists and secretly worship lucifer

Quick bit of information for you. Atheists don't accept that God exists and the don't accept that Satan (or Lucifer, Beelzebub, or Old Scratch, whatever you want to call him) exists either. It's quite impossible to worship anything you don't even think is real. Just wanted you to know.

thats what the atheist sinners whant you to believe

Dude, I am an agnostic atheist and I know exactly what I believe. I'd suggest you actually ask someone before making such sweeping statements with absolutely no substantive support.

well i new some atheists at there town meeting they lissen to metal that glorify satan n they say they wnna kill god n taht lucifer isnt 2 bad. remmeber church of satan is atheist.
proud american conservative
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:25:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:06:57 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 9:58:42 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Actually it was. It was part of a Marxism-Leninism movement.

I'll leave this here for the both of you:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

Because that is atheism... *rolls eyes*

Seriously, you do know atheism entails nothing, right? It's a completely empty label. Much like 'theism' is.

I'll find the source that I had in the debate between me and thinkfirst as to whether or not "atheism" was responsible for the anti-religious ideology in soviet Russia under Lennin and Stalin. There's a source translated from Russian in the 1930's that explains exactly why "atheism" in particular aligns with the materialistic Marxism-lenninism movement that had the sole objective of removing all religion in Russia. This resulted in the execution and destruction of all religious figures.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:29:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:24:36 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:22:10 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:19:08 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:13:46 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:08:29 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
christian here to anser you

atheists are satanic sinners that do not believ in god and spread their unholy agenda n are satanists and secretly worship lucifer

Quick bit of information for you. Atheists don't accept that God exists and the don't accept that Satan (or Lucifer, Beelzebub, or Old Scratch, whatever you want to call him) exists either. It's quite impossible to worship anything you don't even think is real. Just wanted you to know.

thats what the atheist sinners whant you to believe

Dude, I am an agnostic atheist and I know exactly what I believe. I'd suggest you actually ask someone before making such sweeping statements with absolutely no substantive support.

well i new some atheists at there town meeting they lissen to metal that glorify satan n they say they wnna kill god n taht lucifer isnt 2 bad. remmeber church of satan is atheist.

No, actually, it's not. Atheism does not accept the existence of any deity, demon, or devil. If it is a true Satanist church then the adherents must believe in God because without God, Satan wouldn't exist. Once again you've either mistaken the meaning of atheism or intentionally misstated it as belief in Satan.

I am beginning to think you're just a troll, to be honest.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:30:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:25:00 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:06:57 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 9:58:42 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Actually it was. It was part of a Marxism-Leninism movement.

I'll leave this here for the both of you:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

Because that is atheism... *rolls eyes*

Seriously, you do know atheism entails nothing, right? It's a completely empty label. Much like 'theism' is.

I'll find the source that I had in the debate between me and thinkfirst as to whether or not "atheism" was responsible for the anti-religious ideology in soviet Russia under Lennin and Stalin. There's a source translated from Russian in the 1930's that explains exactly why "atheism" in particular aligns with the materialistic Marxism-lenninism movement that had the sole objective of removing all religion in Russia. This resulted in the execution and destruction of all religious figures.

I am quite sure you can find movements which are indeed atheistic. But it's an absurd stretch to state that atheism entails such movements. Much like it is an absurd stretch it say theism entails comparable negative movements.

These movements originate from ideologies. And both atheism and theism inherently have no ideology.

I could easily point to the European countries which are essentially entirely sexular in their population and government which achieve more economically and on quality of life terms than non-secular ones. It doesn't demonstrate anything except atheism doesn't entail anything.

These countries are not tearing themselves apart, or committing humanitarian crimes, etc. not something we would expect if atheism leads to movements like you are suggesting.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,821
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:30:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure theists kill more people that don't believe what they believe instead of atheists (Shia vs. Sunni, Christian vs. Muslim, etc.) I don't see the Muslims going to war against atheists.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BubbaJoe
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:32:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:29:32 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:24:36 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:22:10 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:19:08 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:13:46 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:08:29 AM, BubbaJoe wrote:
christian here to anser you

atheists are satanic sinners that do not believ in god and spread their unholy agenda n are satanists and secretly worship lucifer

Quick bit of information for you. Atheists don't accept that God exists and the don't accept that Satan (or Lucifer, Beelzebub, or Old Scratch, whatever you want to call him) exists either. It's quite impossible to worship anything you don't even think is real. Just wanted you to know.

thats what the atheist sinners whant you to believe

Dude, I am an agnostic atheist and I know exactly what I believe. I'd suggest you actually ask someone before making such sweeping statements with absolutely no substantive support.

well i new some atheists at there town meeting they lissen to metal that glorify satan n they say they wnna kill god n taht lucifer isnt 2 bad. remmeber church of satan is atheist.

No, actually, it's not. Atheism does not accept the existence of any deity, demon, or devil. If it is a true Satanist church then the adherents must believe in God because without God, Satan wouldn't exist. Once again you've either mistaken the meaning of atheism or intentionally misstated it as belief in Satan.

I am beginning to think you're just a troll, to be honest.

so u think im a troll jus because im a true and pure christain with good moral beliefs?? the church of satan was foundded by anton lavey n is atheist cult of satan wosrship do ur own research on it.
proud american conservative
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:36:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:30:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure theists kill more people that don't believe what they believe instead of atheists (Shia vs. Sunni, Christian vs. Muslim, etc.) I don't see the Muslims going to war against atheists.

I didn't say there was a war, yet. I said that atheism is seen as a threat to Christianity and Islam. In most Islamic countries there are laws against atheism and some of them prescribe the death penalty for simply not believing in any god, not just Allah. There are still clauses in many state constitutions that forbid atheists from holding public office. These are unenforceable, to be sure, but they are still there.

And as I mentioned, one poster on this site called for all religions to join together against the 'real enemy', atheism, and wipe it out. When I asked him exactly what he intended, he refused to answer me. If you were me, wouldn't you feel even the least threatened?

I don't disagree that theists are killing other theists who disagree, but if you put an atheist and a different denomination of their religion in front of them, I firmly believe they would kill the atheist first, probably with the enthusiastic help of the other sect member.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,821
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:38:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:36:44 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:30:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure theists kill more people that don't believe what they believe instead of atheists (Shia vs. Sunni, Christian vs. Muslim, etc.) I don't see the Muslims going to war against atheists.

I didn't say there was a war, yet. I said that atheism is seen as a threat to Christianity and Islam. In most Islamic countries there are laws against atheism and some of them prescribe the death penalty for simply not believing in any god, not just Allah. There are still clauses in many state constitutions that forbid atheists from holding public office. These are unenforceable, to be sure, but they are still there.

And as I mentioned, one poster on this site called for all religions to join together against the 'real enemy', atheism, and wipe it out. When I asked him exactly what he intended, he refused to answer me. If you were me, wouldn't you feel even the least threatened?

I don't disagree that theists are killing other theists who disagree, but if you put an atheist and a different denomination of their religion in front of them, I firmly believe they would kill the atheist first, probably with the enthusiastic help of the other sect member.

So one poster allows you to come to this conclusion that most theists feel that atheism is the real enemy?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:50:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:38:09 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:36:44 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:30:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure theists kill more people that don't believe what they believe instead of atheists (Shia vs. Sunni, Christian vs. Muslim, etc.) I don't see the Muslims going to war against atheists.

I didn't say there was a war, yet. I said that atheism is seen as a threat to Christianity and Islam. In most Islamic countries there are laws against atheism and some of them prescribe the death penalty for simply not believing in any god, not just Allah. There are still clauses in many state constitutions that forbid atheists from holding public office. These are unenforceable, to be sure, but they are still there.

And as I mentioned, one poster on this site called for all religions to join together against the 'real enemy', atheism, and wipe it out. When I asked him exactly what he intended, he refused to answer me. If you were me, wouldn't you feel even the least threatened?

I don't disagree that theists are killing other theists who disagree, but if you put an atheist and a different denomination of their religion in front of them, I firmly believe they would kill the atheist first, probably with the enthusiastic help of the other sect member.

So one poster allows you to come to this conclusion that most theists feel that atheism is the real enemy?

No, it's actually a series of things. Articles in other sources, things like ISIS going on and no one really attacking the problem, the fact that the religious right is slowly losing its power in government and will, IMO, feel the need to respond in some way. Heck, a survey conducted not that long ago showed that atheists are the least trusted group of people in the US, falling behind Islamic terrorists and other groups. Yep, I strongly believe that most theists see atheists and atheism in general as the most significant threat to their faith.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,821
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:51:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:50:16 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:38:09 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:36:44 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:30:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure theists kill more people that don't believe what they believe instead of atheists (Shia vs. Sunni, Christian vs. Muslim, etc.) I don't see the Muslims going to war against atheists.

I didn't say there was a war, yet. I said that atheism is seen as a threat to Christianity and Islam. In most Islamic countries there are laws against atheism and some of them prescribe the death penalty for simply not believing in any god, not just Allah. There are still clauses in many state constitutions that forbid atheists from holding public office. These are unenforceable, to be sure, but they are still there.

And as I mentioned, one poster on this site called for all religions to join together against the 'real enemy', atheism, and wipe it out. When I asked him exactly what he intended, he refused to answer me. If you were me, wouldn't you feel even the least threatened?

I don't disagree that theists are killing other theists who disagree, but if you put an atheist and a different denomination of their religion in front of them, I firmly believe they would kill the atheist first, probably with the enthusiastic help of the other sect member.

So one poster allows you to come to this conclusion that most theists feel that atheism is the real enemy?

No, it's actually a series of things. Articles in other sources, things like ISIS going on and no one really attacking the problem, the fact that the religious right is slowly losing its power in government and will, IMO, feel the need to respond in some way. Heck, a survey conducted not that long ago showed that atheists are the least trusted group of people in the US, falling behind Islamic terrorists and other groups. Yep, I strongly believe that most theists see atheists and atheism in general as the most significant threat to their faith.

That doesn't really make sense to me.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:52:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

I wonder why do muslims behead atheists. Do they think it is genetic or something?
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:52:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:51:05 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:50:16 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:38:09 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:36:44 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:30:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure theists kill more people that don't believe what they believe instead of atheists (Shia vs. Sunni, Christian vs. Muslim, etc.) I don't see the Muslims going to war against atheists.

I didn't say there was a war, yet. I said that atheism is seen as a threat to Christianity and Islam. In most Islamic countries there are laws against atheism and some of them prescribe the death penalty for simply not believing in any god, not just Allah. There are still clauses in many state constitutions that forbid atheists from holding public office. These are unenforceable, to be sure, but they are still there.

And as I mentioned, one poster on this site called for all religions to join together against the 'real enemy', atheism, and wipe it out. When I asked him exactly what he intended, he refused to answer me. If you were me, wouldn't you feel even the least threatened?

I don't disagree that theists are killing other theists who disagree, but if you put an atheist and a different denomination of their religion in front of them, I firmly believe they would kill the atheist first, probably with the enthusiastic help of the other sect member.

So one poster allows you to come to this conclusion that most theists feel that atheism is the real enemy?

No, it's actually a series of things. Articles in other sources, things like ISIS going on and no one really attacking the problem, the fact that the religious right is slowly losing its power in government and will, IMO, feel the need to respond in some way. Heck, a survey conducted not that long ago showed that atheists are the least trusted group of people in the US, falling behind Islamic terrorists and other groups. Yep, I strongly believe that most theists see atheists and atheism in general as the most significant threat to their faith.

That doesn't really make sense to me.

OK, thanks for responding.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 10:54:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:52:19 AM, Otokage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

I wonder why do muslims behead atheists. Do they think it is genetic or something?

I suppose they believe that atheism is communicable, like a disease. That's actually kind of correct, since logic and reason can occasionally overcome religious indoctrination.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,821
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 11:01:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 10:52:36 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:51:05 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:50:16 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:38:09 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:36:44 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/28/2015 10:30:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure theists kill more people that don't believe what they believe instead of atheists (Shia vs. Sunni, Christian vs. Muslim, etc.) I don't see the Muslims going to war against atheists.

I didn't say there was a war, yet. I said that atheism is seen as a threat to Christianity and Islam. In most Islamic countries there are laws against atheism and some of them prescribe the death penalty for simply not believing in any god, not just Allah. There are still clauses in many state constitutions that forbid atheists from holding public office. These are unenforceable, to be sure, but they are still there.

And as I mentioned, one poster on this site called for all religions to join together against the 'real enemy', atheism, and wipe it out. When I asked him exactly what he intended, he refused to answer me. If you were me, wouldn't you feel even the least threatened?

I don't disagree that theists are killing other theists who disagree, but if you put an atheist and a different denomination of their religion in front of them, I firmly believe they would kill the atheist first, probably with the enthusiastic help of the other sect member.

So one poster allows you to come to this conclusion that most theists feel that atheism is the real enemy?

No, it's actually a series of things. Articles in other sources, things like ISIS going on and no one really attacking the problem, the fact that the religious right is slowly losing its power in government and will, IMO, feel the need to respond in some way. Heck, a survey conducted not that long ago showed that atheists are the least trusted group of people in the US, falling behind Islamic terrorists and other groups. Yep, I strongly believe that most theists see atheists and atheism in general as the most significant threat to their faith.

That doesn't really make sense to me.

OK, thanks for responding.

Okay...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 11:06:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 8:53:55 AM, JJ50 wrote:

It is religion which has caused most of the wars over the centuries not non belief!

Are you saying that religion is directly responsible for the majority of wars throughout history? If so, can you show me evidence of that?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Geneaux
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 11:08:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/28/2015 8:53:55 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 1/28/2015 8:41:09 AM, dhardage wrote:
seen as such a threat to the Monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam? Both seem to find anyone who doesn't believe in any deity more dangerous than someone who believes in a different deity. I have seen one poster on this forum declaring that all religions should join against the 'real enemy' of atheism. That's quite a disturbing trend, since atheists are already beheaded in some Islamic states. Are we looking at a combined holy war to wipe out anyone who doesn't believe?

It is religion which has caused most of the wars over the centuries not non belief!

Religion is responsible for around 7% of wars. Meanwhile the campaigns of communist states to get rid of the churches in their countries killed tens of millions of people. See the oxford encyclopedia of wars. But you're probably just trolling anyway.