Jump to topic:

Holy Secrets

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 3:36:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Belgian authorities raided the Catholic Church's headquarters a few days ago to retrieve confidential documents relating to child rape allegations. And they even went so far to find information that they pried into the tombs of deceased Belgian archbishops. This leads me to wonder, is it customary for the Catholic Church to put confidential documents in the tombs of the deceased? Why would authorities look there unless they had some kind of tip that documents might be stored there? This is like something from the Da Vinci Code.

Here is an excerpt:

"In an exceedingly rare personal message and rebuke of a sovereign country, the pontiff also stressed the church's "autonomy" to conduct its own investigations and criticized the "lamentable methods" of Belgian police who last week detained bishops, confiscated files and even drilled into the tombs of at least one cardinal in the Brussels cathedral in a search for documents.

"On several occasions I have personally reiterated that such serious issues should be attended to by both civil and canon law, with respect for their reciprocal specificity and autonomy," Benedict said in a statement circulated by the Vatican on Sunday."

http://blog.beliefnet.com...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 3:46:20 PM
Or, they were being thorough. They were there to investigate after all. It's not like an urn on the mantle would stop an investigation into it here.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 7:37:41 PM
Lol really? Nobody thinks that drilling into a tomb is crossing a bit of a line? Thorough is thorough, but I don't ever remembering hearing about the police digging up the remains of an accused murderer's dead relatives to look for stashed weapons.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 7:38:18 PM
At 6/27/2010 7:37:41 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
Lol really? Nobody thinks that drilling into a tomb is crossing a bit of a line? Thorough is thorough, but I don't ever remember hearing about the police digging up the remains of an accused murderer's dead relatives to look for stashed weapons.

fix'd
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 3:35:26 AM
I heard about this. As far I'm concerned, the Catholic Church broke Belgian law, and are no different from any other business, organisation, etc. As long as a warrant was in place the Pope's just being whiny. Or is scared more action like this may follow and more secrets are unravelled.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 4:48:37 AM
At 6/27/2010 3:36:34 PM, Freeman wrote:
Belgian authorities raided the Catholic Church's headquarters a few days ago to retrieve confidential documents relating to child rape allegations. And they even went so far to find information that they pried into the tombs of deceased Belgian archbishops. This leads me to wonder, is it customary for the Catholic Church to put confidential documents in the tombs of the deceased? Why would authorities look there unless they had some kind of tip that documents might be stored there? This is like something from the Da Vinci Code.

Here is an excerpt:

"In an exceedingly rare personal message and rebuke of a sovereign country, the pontiff also stressed the church's "autonomy" to conduct its own investigations and criticized the "lamentable methods" of Belgian police who last week detained bishops, confiscated files and even drilled into the tombs of at least one cardinal in the Brussels cathedral in a search for documents.

"On several occasions I have personally reiterated that such serious issues should be attended to by both civil and canon law, with respect for their reciprocal specificity and autonomy," Benedict said in a statement circulated by the Vatican on Sunday."

The Catholic church is reaping what it has sown; unscriptural doctrine, earthly wealth and humanist agendas.
The Cross.. the Cross.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 6:41:48 AM
The Catholic Church is so arrogant. They believe they are above the law.

There's no difference between Catholic priests that interferes with children and any other paedophile.

Indeed, I think the Catholic clerics that oppose police investigations and who refuse to cooperate should be arrested and charged with Attempting to Pervert the Course of Justice.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 9:29:24 AM
Child Molesters should be punished no matter how high rank they have. I agree.

Digging their graves is the only way to reveal the Naked Truth.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 9:33:18 AM
Awhile ago, I was discussing these child molestation issues with my mom and she came up with a very good point, that maybe it wouldn't happen if they would just allow priests and other church authority to have partners. I don't see any harm in allowing priests, bishops, whatever to be married.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 10:36:48 AM
Was there any reason to believe that there was anything hidden in the tombs? If so, I guess drilling is necessary, but otherwise, that does seem somewhat disrespectful.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 10:42:02 AM
At 6/28/2010 9:33:18 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Awhile ago, I was discussing these child molestation issues with my mom and she came up with a very good point, that maybe it wouldn't happen if they would just allow priests and other church authority to have partners. I don't see any harm in allowing priests, bishops, whatever to be married.

Obviously, but as my religion teacher keeps arguing, said family will live on the funds raised within the Church, so that would be unfair to the community. or some bullsh*t like that. She just sucks up to the Pope.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 10:42:34 AM
At 6/28/2010 10:36:48 AM, mongeese wrote:
Was there any reason to believe that there was anything hidden in the tombs? If so, I guess drilling is necessary, but otherwise, that does seem somewhat disrespectful.

They're dead. What's the issue?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 10:44:07 AM
At 6/27/2010 7:37:41 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
Lol really? Nobody thinks that drilling into a tomb is crossing a bit of a line? Thorough is thorough, but I don't ever remembering hearing about the police digging up the remains of an accused murderer's dead relatives to look for stashed weapons.

If said murderer had access to said graves. However, seeing as it would be an inconvenience that they would, I doubt they'd bother, but seeing as the tombs were inside the church and not under six feet of dirt, it seems worthwhile to try.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 10:48:19 AM
At 6/28/2010 10:42:34 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Respect for the dead. It seems a bit of a disgrace to them to drill open (not just re-open, drill open) their tombs.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 10:50:43 AM
At 6/28/2010 10:42:02 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Obviously, but as my religion teacher keeps arguing, said family will live on the funds raised within the Church, so that would be unfair to the community. or some bullsh*t like that. She just sucks up to the Pope.

I could see how that could be a problem, but couldn't the wife get a job to sustain the family too?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 12:42:18 PM
At 6/28/2010 10:48:19 AM, mongeese wrote:
At 6/28/2010 10:42:34 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Respect for the dead. It seems a bit of a disgrace to them to drill open (not just re-open, drill open) their tombs.

The dead are dead. Nothing particularly special about them. All in all, they're a dead weight to society.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 12:42:59 PM
At 6/28/2010 10:50:43 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/28/2010 10:42:02 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I could see how that could be a problem, but couldn't the wife get a job to sustain the family too?

Probably, but if not, she's the wife of the priests, who's income is from the Church. Friction right there.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 3:20:49 PM
At 6/27/2010 6:38:53 PM, Anacharsis wrote:
I'm more intrigued with the pope's reaction than the action of the authorities. What arrogance!

Exactly!
The only good thing I can say about the current Pope is that to have such a conservative and twisted man as Pontiff during an age of cynicism and scandal should hopefully destroy Roman Catholicism and allow it's many branches to schism and develop morality.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 7:07:37 PM
At 6/27/2010 3:36:34 PM, Freeman wrote:

Here is an excerpt:

They should expect the church to hide such documents assuming they were dumb enough not to destroy them. You have an enormous stone container that usually contains dead people. There's no way in hell any sane person would want to look in there. With that in mind, where would YOU put the documents that show your church to be a hypocritical bunch of kiddy-fiddlers in funny hats?
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 3:09:06 AM
I do get the horrible feeling that some of you guys (along with Christopher Hitchens) are actually glad these kids got sexually abused; because it gives you all a chance to kick the Church in the teeth when it's down..

If not, then why make inane jokes? (like Hitchens' "No childs behind left" gag)
The Cross.. the Cross.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 8:52:58 AM
At 6/29/2010 3:09:06 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I do get the horrible feeling that some of you guys (along with Christopher Hitchens) are actually glad these kids got sexually abused; because it gives you all a chance to kick the Church in the teeth when it's down..

Couple of points.

Firstly, f*ck you.

Secondly, are you not using precisely the same logic to attack atheists and non-christian theists for attacking your church?

Three, why are you concerned with our reaction when your own church is contaminated with sick, sadistic individuals that are physically and psychologically damaging children.

Four, f*ck you again.

Five, the church is a multi-billion dollar recession proof worldwide corporation that influences the personal opinions and beliefs of billions, any politician or CEO would kill for a fraction of the power the church has, it is hardly "down." We are not referring to a wounded animal or smitten cult here.

Six: F*ck you a third time.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 10:09:32 AM

Is it only religious paedophilia you defend or do you support everyone's innate right to kiddie fiddle?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 3:55:06 AM
At 7/1/2010 8:52:58 AM, Veridas wrote:

Couple of points.

Firstly, f*ck you.

Secondly, are you not using precisely the same logic to attack atheists and non-christian theists for attacking your church?

Three, why are you concerned with our reaction when your own church is contaminated with sick, sadistic individuals that are physically and psychologically damaging children.

Four, f*ck you again.

Five, the church is a multi-billion dollar recession proof worldwide corporation that influences the personal opinions and beliefs of billions, any politician or CEO would kill for a fraction of the power the church has, it is hardly "down." We are not referring to a wounded animal or smitten cult here.

Have you considered some kind of anger-management counselling?

It seems the truth sets off some kind of deep seated hostility that could be worked out with the right therapist..

Toodle pip!

oh and by the way.. *REPORTED*
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 3:58:23 AM
At 7/1/2010 10:09:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Is it only religious paedophilia you defend or do you support everyone's innate right to kiddie fiddle?

I do not defend it, Tarzan ol' buddy ol' pal, I abhor it.

I was merely pointing out the unabashed glee with which you guys address this subject; perhaps a more sombre tone is called for?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 4:04:24 AM
At 7/5/2010 3:55:06 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Couple of points.

Firstly, f*ck you.

Four, f*ck you again.

It seems the truth sets off some kind of deep seated hostility that could be worked out with the right therapist..

Toodle pip!

Oh noes! not a report! anything but a report!

Wanker.

As for anger management, you're the one that was getting pissy that your church was being *gasp* criticised. Suck it up.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 4:10:32 AM
At 7/5/2010 4:04:24 AM, Veridas wrote:

Couple of points.

Firstly, f*ck you.

Four, f*ck you again.

Toodle pip!

Wanker.

As for anger management, you're the one that was getting pissy that your church was being *gasp* criticised. Suck it up.

A single report doesn't go very far, true, but continued reports of continued abusive behaviour goes VERY far! (ask Panda-boy!) So CARRY ON.. and thanks.

*REPORTED*
The Cross.. the Cross.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 4:19:30 AM
At 7/5/2010 4:10:32 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Couple of points.

Firstly, f*ck you.

Four, f*ck you again.

Toodle pip!

Wanker.

A single report doesn't go very far, true, but continued reports of continued abusive behaviour goes VERY far! (ask Panda-boy!) So CARRY ON.. and thanks.

*REPORTED*

Abusive behaviour you say?

Like your church's abusive behaviour towards children?

Why don't you go report them too?

Also, abuse is negligent, insulting or overly critical treatment that is undeserved, and trust me, you deserve a lot of it for trying to defend pederasts.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 4:37:13 AM
At 7/5/2010 4:19:30 AM, Veridas wrote:
At 7/5/2010 4:10:32 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Couple of points.

Firstly, f*ck you.

Four, f*ck you again.

Toodle pip!

Wanker.

*REPORTED*

Abusive behaviour you say?

Like your church's abusive behaviour towards children?

Why don't you go report them too?

Also, abuse is negligent, insulting or overly critical treatment that is undeserved, and trust me, you deserve a lot of it for trying to defend pederasts.

That's much better, now behave yourself in future like a good little atheist.
The Cross.. the Cross.