Total Posts:130|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Any Ex-Nonbelievers Who Converted?

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:24:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Has anyone here been previously an atheist/agnostic/secular, and then later converted to a religion? People like Lee Strobel for example, or popculturepooka as an example from here.

And for those who have always been Theists, were you convinced by theological or philosophical arguments for God or were did you simply believe for other reasons? What were they if for other reasons?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:27:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:25:59 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I was agnostic at one point.

What happened?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:28:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:27:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:25:59 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I was agnostic at one point.

What happened?

Mainly personal experiences that shifted my opinion.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:30:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:28:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:27:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:25:59 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I was agnostic at one point.

What happened?

Mainly personal experiences that shifted my opinion.

Is it too personal to ask what happened? It wasn't one of those, seeing Jesus on toast things was it? 0_0
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:31:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:30:46 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:28:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:27:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:25:59 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I was agnostic at one point.

What happened?

Mainly personal experiences that shifted my opinion.

Is it too personal to ask what happened? It wasn't one of those, seeing Jesus on toast things was it? 0_0

Nah, I'm not telling about my depressing past here. And no, it wasn't the religious figures on toast type things.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:32:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Satan on bacon?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:34:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:28:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:27:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
What happened?

Mainly personal experiences that shifted my opinion.

This has always been an interesting argument I hear from Theists. It's at least an honest answer as opposed to those who appeal to theological arguments.

What sort of experiences? I'm not requesting personal details, but a general description.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:35:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:32:46 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Satan on bacon?

No, that only happens at IHOP.

Well, here's another question. To those who were converted, was it during a sad point in your life where things just seemed to shift for the better?

I never hear that an atheist had a really good day and thought, "God exists!". It seems to only happen during the lowest point of someone's life... is that the wrong assumption?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:36:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was in confusion for a while, and I still may be in the same place. Nevertheless, I find comfort in believing that Jesus Christ gives us strength.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:35:40 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:32:46 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Satan on bacon?

No, that only happens at IHOP.

Well, here's another question. To those who were converted, was it during a sad point in your life where things just seemed to shift for the better?

I never hear that an atheist had a really good day and thought, "God exists!". It seems to only happen during the lowest point of someone's life... is that the wrong assumption?

For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:39:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

Yea, pretty much.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:39:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So do you believe in Jesus Christs because you think he really must be there or because of the personal benefit of him giving you strength and/or a positive outlook?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:40:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

I'm under the understanding that one of the main reasons that Christians (I can't say this for other religions) stick to God is out of the need for comfort.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:40:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I used to be a horrible, immoral Atheist but then God reached deep into my heart and now I'm a soldier for Jesus, walking the straight and narrow. :)
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:40:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:39:24 PM, annhasle wrote:
So do you believe in Jesus Christs because you think he really must be there or because of the personal benefit of him giving you strength and/or a positive outlook?

I admire what Jesus Christ did and represented. The comfort is icing on the cake ;)
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:40:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:40:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I used to be a horrible, immoral Atheist but then God reached deep into my heart and now I'm a soldier for Jesus, walking the straight and narrow. :)

Don't be mean.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:41:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:40:00 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

I'm under the understanding that one of the main reasons that Christians (I can't say this for other religions) stick to God is out of the need for comfort.

I thought it was because they believed him to have created us in his image and they worship him so they aren't damned for eternity....
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:42:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:40:35 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I admire what Jesus Christ did and represented. The comfort is icing on the cake ;)

Do you believe in the saving powers of Jesus and his supernatural abilities to fly and walk on water?

Or was he simply a wise philosopher that you really connect with?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:44:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:40:57 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:40:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I used to be a horrible, immoral Atheist but then God reached deep into my heart and now I'm a soldier for Jesus, walking the straight and narrow. :)

Don't be mean.

Didn't you see my conversion thread?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:49:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:42:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:40:35 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I admire what Jesus Christ did and represented. The comfort is icing on the cake ;)

Do you believe in the saving powers of Jesus and his supernatural abilities to fly and walk on water?

Or was he simply a wise philosopher that you really connect with?

The second question is easier for me to answer, so I'll respond to that first.

I do believe that Jesus was a wise philosopher that I really connect with. I find his teachings of human compassion and humility really powerful in teaching us how to interact with one another even to this day.

Jesus' miracles and supernatural abilities are something completely different. I believe that it is certainly possible for Jesus to have been able to accomplish most of these tasks, but I can't prove it.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:50:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:41:10 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:40:00 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

I'm under the understanding that one of the main reasons that Christians (I can't say this for other religions) stick to God is out of the need for comfort.

I thought it was because they believed him to have created us in his image and they worship him so they aren't damned for eternity....

COMFORT. Christians want comfort in *knowing* that they will have eternal life.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:52:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:50:18 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:41:10 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:40:00 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

I'm under the understanding that one of the main reasons that Christians (I can't say this for other religions) stick to God is out of the need for comfort.

I thought it was because they believed him to have created us in his image and they worship him so they aren't damned for eternity....

COMFORT. Christians want comfort in *knowing* that they will have eternal life.

I guess you can say I'm a little atypical for the Christian "norm."

I really emphasize my beliefs on Jesus Christ as a person and what he stood for. You guys can show me countless Bible verses that show God's anger and violence, and I am in no way disagreeing with the fact that God proved to be violent throughout the Scriptures. However, my main focus is on Jesus as a person and what he instructed us to do in revelance of behaving with one another and living earnestly.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 8:59:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:52:03 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:50:18 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:41:10 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:40:00 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

I'm under the understanding that one of the main reasons that Christians (I can't say this for other religions) stick to God is out of the need for comfort.

I thought it was because they believed him to have created us in his image and they worship him so they aren't damned for eternity....

COMFORT. Christians want comfort in *knowing* that they will have eternal life.

I guess you can say I'm a little atypical for the Christian "norm."

I really emphasize my beliefs on Jesus Christ as a person and what he stood for. You guys can show me countless Bible verses that show God's anger and violence, and I am in no way disagreeing with the fact that God proved to be violent throughout the Scriptures. However, my main focus is on Jesus as a person and what he instructed us to do in revelance of behaving with one another and living earnestly.

Ok, I respect that. But the only thing is... he's a man of contradictions. You choose to follow the "peaceful, perfect" Jesus and yet ignore the "violent, jealous" Jesus. These are two halves of one Jesus. And when you put them together... he seems human to me. Volatile, but peaceful. Kind yet jealous. Perfect until you do something wrong... These are very human characteristics. The scriptures say he is supernatural but his actions say otherwise.

Is it possible you aren't worshiping a God but really a human that thought he was a God?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 9:01:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:50:18 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:41:10 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:40:00 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

I'm under the understanding that one of the main reasons that Christians (I can't say this for other religions) stick to God is out of the need for comfort.

I thought it was because they believed him to have created us in his image and they worship him so they aren't damned for eternity....

COMFORT. Christians want comfort in *knowing* that they will have eternal life.

You can get comfort from a warm blanket and your favorite food. Why go the supernatural route? It can't be solely for comfort; that seems selfish and uncaring for the scriptures and other believers.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 9:02:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I suppose for me, part of it is a longing for a direct relationship with God. I have seen this to be most evident in Islam(hence why I'm a muslim).
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 9:08:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/27/2010 8:59:39 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:52:03 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:50:18 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:41:10 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:40:00 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:38:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2010 8:37:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
For me, that was a big part of it. I was really depressed in the point of my life where I started believing in God. It wasn't until much later where I finally settled in a religion though.

So it wasn't really a personal experience with the supernatural, it was the search for comfort that you found God?

I'm under the understanding that one of the main reasons that Christians (I can't say this for other religions) stick to God is out of the need for comfort.

I thought it was because they believed him to have created us in his image and they worship him so they aren't damned for eternity....

COMFORT. Christians want comfort in *knowing* that they will have eternal life.

I guess you can say I'm a little atypical for the Christian "norm."

I really emphasize my beliefs on Jesus Christ as a person and what he stood for. You guys can show me countless Bible verses that show God's anger and violence, and I am in no way disagreeing with the fact that God proved to be violent throughout the Scriptures. However, my main focus is on Jesus as a person and what he instructed us to do in revelance of behaving with one another and living earnestly.

Ok, I respect that. But the only thing is... he's a man of contradictions. You choose to follow the "peaceful, perfect" Jesus and yet ignore the "violent, jealous" Jesus. These are two halves of one Jesus. And when you put them together... he seems human to me. Volatile, but peaceful. Kind yet jealous. Perfect until you do something wrong... These are very human characteristics. The scriptures say he is supernatural but his actions say otherwise.

Is it possible you aren't worshiping a God but really a human that thought he was a God?

I am referencing Jesus the Son, not God the Father. Jesus only showed one sign of anger when he destroyed the temple because of the dirtiness of the people that were trading in it. Jesus was a great man; a great teacher. I appreciate that the Bible has given me a sense of Christ's devotion to the human soul.

That said, I am very open to many interpretations of the scriptures. There are many verses I simply don't like or don't agree with. After all, the way to the Father is through the Son ;)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2010 9:09:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
@sac8
If Jesus IS God, then he indeed committed all the atrocities and vengeful acts of God from the Old Testament.

It seems that you might as well give up belief in the angry God and believe in Jesus the philosopher.

@annhassle

You realize that the Bible isn't an accurate representation of Jesus, right? I believe Jesus was a great sage who probably didn't preach the some of the nonsense he said in the Bible. There's the non-canonical Gnostic Gospels as well.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat