Jump to topic:

Dwight Schrute is Baha'i

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:31:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Just found out Dwight Schrute from The Office is Baha'i (born into it and still is).

He also has his own website called SoulPancake.com (http://www.soulpancake.com...) which is a site that is for people searching for answers to "life's big questions."

In the video he discusses a bit on what the Baha'i faith is about.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:50:59 AM
And to those who need a reminder of what Baha'i is:

It's the second fastest growing religion and formed in the Middle East over 200 years ago. It believes that all the religious figures such as Abraham, Jesus, Buddha, Muhammed, and their prophet Baha'ullah are all divine messengers. It's syncretic, but it's not vague like Unitarian Universalism. It has a clear cut moral and existential philosophy.

They believe in a monotheistic God, but oddly, they believe in an eternal Universe. Regarding the afterlife, they believe that they are on an eternal journey of evolution and will keep personally evolving as well as incarnating into greater worlds each time.

So that's my short little synopsis.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 1:05:13 AM
At 6/29/2010 12:50:30 AM, Puck wrote:
Seems very ... fluffy. :P

Quite the opposite actually. I like a lot of what Rainn Wilson has to say on these matters. He's very inquisitive.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 1:18:23 AM
I watched that on the site. It doesn't live up to it in the least. :P

It's a fluffy attempt at a colourful forum about 'life's issues'.

http://www.soulpancake.com...

It's just another forum like countless others, where people answer the same questions in the same predictable manner. :P
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 1:25:34 AM
At 6/29/2010 1:18:23 AM, Puck wrote:
I watched that on the site. It doesn't live up to it in the least. :P
It's a fluffy attempt at a colourful forum about 'life's issues'.
It's just another forum like countless others, where people answer the same questions in the same predictable manner. :P

That's quite unfortunate I guess. I like what he's trying to do though.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 1:30:28 AM
At 6/29/2010 1:25:34 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Eh, would be better served just by linking to an SEP article on the topic. Mosts posts are posited as questions with a few paragraphs (or one) as filler. As a 'serious' website, it sure isn't. As a community thing, meh, there are worse built forums for sure.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 1:32:27 AM
At 6/29/2010 1:30:28 AM, Puck wrote:
At 6/29/2010 1:25:34 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Eh, would be better served just by linking to an SEP article on the topic. Mosts posts are posited as questions with a few paragraphs (or one) as filler. As a 'serious' website, it sure isn't. As a community thing, meh, there are worse built forums for sure.

I quite like it actually. I was posting there for awhile, asking Baha'is various questions about their faith as part of the learning process. I have since been participating in other discussions there and some have been quite interesting.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 3:16:07 AM
At 6/29/2010 12:31:38 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Just found out Dwight Schrute from The Office is Baha'i (born into it and still is).

He also has his own website called SoulPancake.com (http://www.soulpancake.com...) which is a site that is for people searching for answers to "life's big questions."

Hardly surprising is it?

A weirdo, who's really good at playing a weirdo, is into a weirdo new-age belief system.

but Oprah! Oh Oprah! shame on you Girl! you were brought up a Baptist; you KNOW the Truth and you have turned your back on Him!

What DOES it profit a (wo)man if (s)he gains the world but loses (Her) soul?

Huh?
The Cross.. the Cross.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 11:20:10 AM
At 6/29/2010 3:16:07 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Hardly surprising is it?

A weirdo, who's really good at playing a weirdo, is into a weirdo new-age belief system.

but Oprah! Oh Oprah! shame on you Girl! you were brought up a Baptist; you KNOW the Truth and you have turned your back on Him!

Baha'i is not at all New Agey.

Oprah on other hand, is very New Age.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 3:42:04 AM
At 6/29/2010 11:20:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/29/2010 3:16:07 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Hardly surprising is it?

Baha'i is not at all New Agey.

Oprah on other hand, is very New Age.

Oh C'mon! it's SO New Age! ~a~l~l ~i~s~ ~o~n~e~ ~a~n~d~ ~o~n~e~ ~i~s~ ~a~l~l~...
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 6:38:58 AM
1844 is new age?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 12:11:45 PM
@DATC

That's not the only tenet of New Age. Baha'i has very distinct beliefs compared New Age.

And Cereb is right. Baha'i came way before New Age was started. Though, the melding of beliefs it is based on come from the most ancient times, Hinduism being one of it's primary influences.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 12:13:21 PM
At 6/30/2010 12:11:45 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@DATC

That's not the only tenet of New Age. Baha'i has very distinct beliefs compared New Age.

And Cereb is right. Baha'i came way before New Age was started. Though, the melding of beliefs it is based on come from the most ancient times, Hinduism being one of it's primary influences.

To me, On the surface it almost seems like an offbeat sect of Islam. It does have some origins in Islam though, so meh.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 12:29:09 PM
At 6/30/2010 12:13:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
@DATC

To me, On the surface it almost seems like an offbeat sect of Islam. It does have some origins in Islam though, so meh.

This is commonly held by most, but I disagree. I think people say that because it formed in the Middle East and succeeded Islam. It just happens to believe that all messengers are divinely inspired and Muhammed is the last on before Baha'ulah.

The doctrines and tenets however are nothing at all like Islam.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 12:36:19 PM
At 6/30/2010 12:29:09 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/30/2010 12:13:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
@DATC

This is commonly held by most, but I disagree. I think people say that because it formed in the Middle East and succeeded Islam. It just happens to believe that all messengers are divinely inspired and Muhammed is the last on before Baha'ulah.

The doctrines and tenets however are nothing at all like Islam.

It has some similar practices though. Fasting is one that comes to mind.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 4:06:39 PM
At 6/30/2010 12:36:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

General dislike of the gays, another. :P
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 4:11:42 PM
At 6/30/2010 4:06:39 PM, Puck wrote:
At 6/30/2010 12:36:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

General dislike of the gays, another. :P

Hey, I'm not Anti-gay. I support same sex marriage. If religious institutions won't do it then the courts can.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 4:17:25 PM
You =/= Baha'i. You may disagree with that fairly explicit tenant of it, though. Which makes you a fringe member, not so much pseudo as a specific fresh cult where that tenant is ignored. Saying you are Baha'i though without a qualifier would be a bit disingenuous (or lazy, or something). :P
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 4:20:00 PM
At 6/30/2010 4:17:25 PM, Puck wrote:
You =/= Baha'i. You may disagree with that fairly explicit tenant of it, though. Which makes you a fringe member, not so much pseudo as a specific fresh cult where that tenant is ignored. Saying you are Baha'i though without a qualifier would be a bit disingenuous (or lazy, or something). :P

I'm not a Baha'i. I considered it for awhile, but i'm not one.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 4:22:26 PM
At 6/30/2010 4:21:09 PM, Puck wrote:
Oh you changed. Why answer the post that way then? O.o

It sounded like you were implying that muslims were anti-gay as well. :P While many are, I'm personally not.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 4:24:49 PM
At 6/30/2010 4:20:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/30/2010 4:17:25 PM, Puck wrote:

I'm not a Baha'i. I considered it for awhile, but i'm not one.

You just implied you were Bahai. Puck said Bahais are against gays, and you responded that you are not against gays. Unless you are Bahai the statement doesn't apply to you.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 4:25:44 PM
Nvm.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 3:44:27 AM
@DATC

No, New Age thinking started in the Garden of Eden; " perhaps the God who spoke to you is NOT the only power in the universe? perhaps He's lying to you? "

The New Age mentality is HINDUISM FOR RICH WHITE WESTERNERS, so thanks for confirming what I already knew.

Tatty bye bye..
The Cross.. the Cross.