Jump to topic:

Jesus Commands Old Testament Law

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:32:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This needs to be clear because too many people like to claim that they only follow Christ's teachings and that the OT doesn't apply. Well, if you follow Christ teachings, Christ taught that you must follow every OT law.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven." - Jesus (Matthew 5:17-20)

Even if you were to disregard that, Jesus is God, so all the atrocities that God committed in the Old Testament were actually committed by Jesus Christ. So there's really no way around it. (Unless you want to become a Gnostic. :] )
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:35:43 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:32:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This needs to be clear because too many people like to claim that they only follow Christ's teachings and that the OT doesn't apply. Well, if you follow Christ teachings, Christ taught that you must follow every OT law.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven." - Jesus (Matthew 5:17-20)

Even if you were to disregard that, Jesus is God, so all the atrocities that God committed in the Old Testament were actually committed by Jesus Christ. So there's really no way around it. (Unless you want to become a Gnostic. :] )

Thank you for posting this... It seems like a popular escape method for Christians is to say, "Well, God did that stuff in OT and I don't even follow that so Jesus is really peaceful and loving."

Yeah, right.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:37:43 PM
I posted this in the last thread. I'll post it again here as I'll like to have it addressed.

At 6/29/2010 7:21:15 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

As humans, we all sin. Thus, we cannot obey every tidbit of the OT. Common sense. That's why Jesus came and said that we don't need to do the old traditions of separating meat and dairy and sacrificing animals. Jesus came and created a New Covenant.

So how can Jews follow OT Law and not Christians? Jews are humans too.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:38:39 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:32:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I'm already refuting you in the other thread. I'm not going to do this in two threads. I have expanded more in the other one, and I'll keep expanding in that one if you want me to do so. You're really not understanding the wholeness of Christianity at this point. Snake.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:39:01 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:37:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I posted this in the last thread. I'll post it again here as I'll like to have it addressed.

At 6/29/2010 7:21:15 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

As humans, we all sin. Thus, we cannot obey every tidbit of the OT. Common sense. That's why Jesus came and said that we don't need to do the old traditions of separating meat and dairy and sacrificing animals. Jesus came and created a New Covenant.

So how can Jews follow OT Law and not Christians? Jews are humans too.

I already refuted this.

You guys need to be faster at posting.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:43:03 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:38:39 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I'm already refuting you in the other thread. I'm not going to do this in two threads. I have expanded more in the other one, and I'll keep expanding in that one if you want me to do so.

It's better to put this in it's own thread so the other one doesn't stray to far off topic. Feel free to copy and paste your rebuttals here if you want.

You're really not understanding the wholeness of Christianity at this point.

I'm not trying to focus on the wholeness of Christianity. Just one aspect of it.

Snake.

What does that mean? Do you view me as a tempter?

I can assure you I am not. I have come to refute vain doctrines as Buddha requested.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:45:00 PM
Hebrews 8:13 (King James Version)

13In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Matthew 22:37-40

"37And He said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Gal. 3:23-25: "But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. Therefore the Law has become our tutor (to lead us) to Christ, that we may be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Rom. 7:6: "But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter."

Do you need more examples?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:47:02 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:45:00 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

13In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

"37And He said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Gal. 3:23-25: "But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. Therefore the Law has become our tutor (to lead us) to Christ, that we may be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Rom. 7:6: "But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter."

PCP here to save the day! You have given Christianity a slight hope of vindication.

Though, isn't this a contradictory passage to the one I just posted? One of them has to be wrong.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:48:43 PM

If OT isn't being followed by Christians....what's the point of even having it in the Bible? Just put a synopsis of how "God created the world" and all that jazz in the front and go straight into the NT.

Give the OT to the Jews. They actually use it.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:49:43 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:43:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/29/2010 7:38:39 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I'm already refuting you in the other thread. I'm not going to do this in two threads. I have expanded more in the other one, and I'll keep expanding in that one if you want me to do so.

It's better to put this in it's own thread so the other one doesn't stray to far off topic. Feel free to copy and paste your rebuttals here if you want.

Keep it in the other thread. I'm feeling inspired right now.

You're really not understanding the wholeness of Christianity at this point.

I'm not trying to focus on the wholeness of Christianity. Just one aspect of it.

You are like the Pharisees and Saccudees. You focus on the little things; you ignore the wholeness and overall significance of Christ's message and the New Covenant.

Snake.

You are trying to veer me away from the Truth.

I can assure you I am not. I have come to refute vain doctrines as Buddha requested.

New Covenant, Jesus, etc. You focus on the little, miniscule things, when you don't understand the big picture. I am fired up. I'd just like to let you guys know that I am going to try to establish my ideals on the matter of Christianity so that you can better understand them. Thank you.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:51:21 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:48:43 PM, annhasle wrote:

If OT isn't being followed by Christians....what's the point of even having it in the Bible? Just put a synopsis of how "God created the world" and all that jazz in the front and go straight into the NT.

Ignorance is bliss. Don't you understand the importance of the life of Jesus, the New Covenant, etc.? You guys are all acting like the Pharisees; so focused on tiny, out-dated laws rather than focusing on the importance of Jesus' life and what He had to say. It's better to go from general to specific, and you guys are trying to go from specific to general.

Come on.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:53:33 PM
I would love to discuss more but I have a few things to do. Hopefully I can come back later.

Geo - I'll make sure to get to responding to your query. If I forget or something I'm sure you'll remind me. :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:53:50 PM

I wonder the same thing. They should just take it out if they're not going to follow it. I actually have a copy of the Bible that only contains the New Testament. Seems somebody is catching on.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:55:07 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:49:43 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

You are like the Pharisees and Saccudees. You focus on the little things; you ignore the wholeness and overall significance of Christ's message and the New Covenant.

I acknowledge that it's not the whole of Christianity, but such a statement made by Christ seems very important and is a radical statement at that.

Actually I'm trying to spread the Truth.

New Covenant, Jesus, etc. You focus on the little, miniscule things, when you don't understand the big picture.

Everything you have told me I have already heard. It sounds like the same usual Christian propaganda to fluff it up and focus on the good parts.

I am fired up. I'd just like to let you guys know that I am going to try to establish my ideals on the matter of Christianity so that you can better understand them. Thank you.

Ok, maybe you should make a thread explaining your ideals and take on Christianity. I'm open to hear it.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:58:11 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:55:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/29/2010 7:49:43 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I acknowledge that it's not the whole of Christianity, but such a statement made by Christ seems very important and is a radical statement at that.

Actually I'm trying to spread the Truth.

New Covenant, Jesus, etc. You focus on the little, miniscule things, when you don't understand the big picture.

Everything you have told me I have already heard. It sounds like the same usual Christian propaganda to fluff it up and focus on the good parts.

I am fired up. I'd just like to let you guys know that I am going to try to establish my ideals on the matter of Christianity so that you can better understand them. Thank you.

Ok, maybe you should make a thread explaining your ideals and take on Christianity. I'm open to hear it.

Sure, but I'm a little tired right now. I'll get to it in the next couple of days. If I don't, it'll be up in a couple of weeks, since I'll be on college campuses for visits. All in all, I don't think that I am the usual Christian who focuses on Jesus' human concepts but goes the other way and rejects people at the slightest notion of sin or the like. Truth is, I want to become a better person, and that way is through Christ. I understand that you have different beliefs, but we're on here to discuss and have intellectual conversation.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 7:58:57 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:53:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I wonder the same thing. They should just take it out if they're not going to follow it. I actually have a copy of the Bible that only contains the New Testament. Seems somebody is catching on.

New Covenant + life of Jesus = understanding that the many laws of the OT don't need to be followed because they are trivial to the significance of the faith.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:14:49 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:51:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Ignorance is bliss. Don't you understand the importance of the life of Jesus, the New Covenant, etc.? You guys are all acting like the Pharisees; so focused on tiny, out-dated laws rather than focusing on the importance of Jesus' life and what He had to say. It's better to go from general to specific, and you guys are trying to go from specific to general.

Come on.

Ignorance is bliss.
Ignorance is not bliss. Truth is. And that's what we're trying to uncover here.

Don't you understand the importance of the life of Jesus, the New Covenant, etc.?

Since I don't believe in it, it kind of lacks importance in my life. Also, the reason I'm refuting your contradictions is to better understand the Great Lie which is Christianity.

You guys are all acting like the Pharisees; so focused on tiny, out-dated laws rather than focusing on the importance of Jesus' life and what He had to say.

First of all, without the OT you could not have had the NT. So if you truly believe that it is out dated with tiny little laws you can ignore, you are denying part of your faith. I guess you'll have to answer to your "God" about that but personally, if I chose to believe in a religion, I wouldn't disregard information just because it would complicate my stance as believing in a "loving, peaceful religion".

Secondly, the importance of Jesus would not have even been realized without the OT. Because he would not exist. God was instated in the OT as the ultimate ruler and the ultimate truth to the world. How can you deny Him and still call yourself Christian? That's like one of the Judaic faith believing in Prophets and not God.

Jesus is the essence of God; he is his son. You speak of his importance and teachings but he is just the messenger of God's intentions and meanings. You refute the teachings of God because of the teachings of Jesus; when it is the same.

It's better to go from general to specific, and you guys are trying to go from specific to general.

Yet, this specific is a major contradiction to your proclamation of faith so it must be scrutinized.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:18:34 PM
At 6/29/2010 7:58:57 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

New Covenant + life of Jesus = understanding that the many laws of the OT don't need to be followed because they are trivial to the significance of the faith.

If the OT does not need to be followed, than you are proclaiming that the Ten Commandments can be ignored. That is the tenant of your faith that you are so willing to give up.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:19:37 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:18:34 PM, annhasle wrote:

If the OT does not need to be followed, than you are proclaiming that the Ten Commandments can be ignored. That is the tenant of your faith that you are so willing to give up.

Well it was Jewish law after all. :P
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:29:10 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:19:37 PM, Puck wrote:
At 6/29/2010 8:18:34 PM, annhasle wrote:

Well it was Jewish law after all. :P

True, the Judaic community will keep the Ten commandments... And the Christians will rewrite their religion to better suit them. Then they can ignore the importance of OT, forget about their fundamental teachings and focus on the "wonderful" Jesus. Even better, they can make Jesus the supreme ruler and get rid of God altogether!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:33:03 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:29:10 PM, annhasle wrote:

True, the Judaic community will keep the Ten commandments... And the Christians will rewrite their religion to better suit them. Then they can ignore the importance of OT, forget about their fundamental teachings and focus on the "wonderful" Jesus. Even better, they can make Jesus the supreme ruler and get rid of God altogether!

Haha that made me lol. And they are already close to that. They do believe Jesus was God incarnate afterall. ;)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:33:34 PM
I remember Christopher Hitchens mentioned in a debate once that an old Christian patriarch almost made the Christian sect be based only on the New Testament and that they would have been a lot better off if they did that.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:36:40 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:33:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Haha that made me lol. And they are already close to that. They do believe Jesus was God incarnate afterall. ;)

I think people feel better worshiping a person rather than God because God isn't tangible or someone who can be seen or visualized, so people like Jesus and Muhammed get extra attention, and sometimes more attention than God.

I think the Jews and the Hindus are the only religions that don't rely on human incarnates and actually just believe in God. (Btw, Hindus are monotheists contrary to popular belief.)
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:38:24 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:29:10 PM, annhasle wrote:

True, the Judaic community will keep the Ten commandments... And the Christians will rewrite their religion to better suit them. Then they can ignore the importance of OT

Important how though is the relevance. The point of the sacrifice is in part to create a new system where all people including gentiles can gain access to God, where before prior, the Jewish race were the chosen.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:39:14 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:36:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/29/2010 8:33:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I think people feel better worshiping a person rather than God because God isn't tangible or someone who can be seen or visualized, so people like Jesus and Muhammed get extra attention, and sometimes more attention than God.

I think the Jews and the Hindus are the only religions that don't rely on human incarnates and actually just believe in God. (Btw, Hindus are monotheists contrary to popular belief.)

Well to be fair, I focus on God rather than a human being. That's one of the reasons I chose Islam over Christianity. And yes, Hindus are monotheists, but just have several incarnations of a single God if I remember correctly.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:43:36 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:40:46 PM, Puck wrote:
Depends upon the sect. Monotheism is not a prerequisite of Hinduism, it's a particularly interpretation.

I think many also have one personal God that they worship.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:47:54 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:43:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Depends upon the sect. Monotheism is not a prerequisite of Hinduism, it's a particularly interpretation.

I learned that there was one God and then secondary gods made in his image that symbolized different ideals or objects. But in truth, each secondary God was just a part of the one God so it was still monotheistic; just a different approach.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:50:00 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:47:54 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/29/2010 8:43:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I learned that there was one God and then secondary gods made in his image that symbolized different ideals or objects. But in truth, each secondary God was just a part of the one God so it was still monotheistic; just a different approach.

Yea, but even then different people will often worship a different part of this one God.