Jump to topic:

Genesis stories

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 4:20:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have opened this topic up in answer to a comment on someone elses thread.

The purpose is to discuss stories in Genesis.

Please feel free to choose any Genesis story to start a discussion on.thread.

It is alreaduy well established, well enough fro some scientistts to become Jehovah's Witnesses, that a close reading of Genesis 1 reveals two things.

1 is that Verse 14 is a bad and obvious mistranslation

and

2, the account, in what detail it supplies is 100% accurate, just undetailed.

Over to you.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 4:25:06 PM
At 1/30/2015 4:20:38 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
I have opened this topic up in answer to a comment on someone elses thread.

The purpose is to discuss stories in Genesis.

Please feel free to choose any Genesis story to start a discussion on.thread.

It is alreaduy well established, well enough fro some scientistts to become Jehovah's Witnesses, that a close reading of Genesis 1 reveals two things.

1 is that Verse 14 is a bad and obvious mistranslation

and

2, the account, in what detail it supplies is 100% accurate, just undetailed.

Over to you.

Not one Christian, including all JW's understands the metaphors and prophecies in the book of Genesis
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 4:44:03 PM
At 1/30/2015 4:32:26 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
This should prove moderately interesting. I'll just sit back and watch the fur fly.

Christians have never known our Creator like us saints do. A few Christians were chosen to be God's believers who listen to the gospel I preach to them but most of them are heathens who pretend to know God by reading words in a book called the Bible. The Bible cannot bring God into your life. It has actually deceived more people from their true created existence than any other book in this world.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:48:06 PM
This should prove moderately interesting. I'll just sit back and watch the fur fly.

Lol, sorry to disappoint you but I ceased to take BornofGod seriously a long time ago.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:53:24 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:48:06 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Lol, sorry to disappoint you but I ceased to take BornofGod seriously a long time ago.

Everyone feels the same about you also.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:07:26 PM
At 1/30/2015 5:53:24 PM, Wylted wrote:

Not every, but I would be very surprised if teh majority didn't.

After all, the majority didn't take my King and master seriously when he was on earth did they.

If people didn't take him seriously, as he reminded all his followers, how can I expect them to take me any mroe so?

Anyway, the fact that they don't simply helps confirm the fulfilment of prophecy today, so I find it encouraging for that reason.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:09:01 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:07:26 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

After all, the majority didn't take my King and master seriously when he was on earth did they.

If people didn't take him seriously, as he reminded all his followers, how can I expect them to take me any mroe so?

Anyway, the fact that they don't simply helps confirm the fulfilment of prophecy today, so I find it encouraging for that reason.

I quit reading after the second sentence. So many unsupported presuppositions.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:16:47 PM
I take MCB more seriously than I take BOG. I haven't read any of BOG's post in a long time. I just skip over them. But I still read some of MCB's post. Of course that might just be because he's more interesting.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 6:18:05 PM

Odd that you find your answers in prophesies written thousands of years ago, written for a different time under different circumstances. Jesus tried that too not realizing people wanted him to improve their future and not delve into the past. Besides Jesus was helpless to change what was prophesied. He served no purpose.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 9:34:32 PM

You can't understand anything I testify for our Creator so that's why you can't take me seriously. This means you're not who you think you are. Christians can only imagine who God is by reading the Bible with their own interpretations. They actually believe the Holy Spirit is giving them wisdom as they read it. They don't even know what the Holy Spirit means.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 9:37:23 PM
At 1/30/2015 6:18:05 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Odd that you find your answers in prophesies written thousands of years ago, written for a different time under different circumstances. Jesus tried that too not realizing people wanted him to improve their future and not delve into the past. Besides Jesus was helpless to change what was prophesied. He served no purpose.

We saints ( including the first saint that Christians call Jesus ) are the only ones that God used during the 1,000 year reign of Christ to teach us who we are in Him. As soon as my body is killed by Christians, it will end the 1,000 year reign of Christ.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 6:32:19 AM
At 1/30/2015 6:18:05 PM, Harikrish wrote:

It was written under different conditions, yes, but many of teh prophecies were written for today and beyond.

God's interest in his creation didn't have a "best by" date on it.

The point is that he was able to foresee roughly what conditions would be like to day, and he already knew that once Satan was cast down to the eqaatrh he would step up his intent to make us destroy ourselves. An intent God thwarted once before at teh tower of Babel.

God is letting it run for now because his son is now on the throne (1914) and it is almost time to bring a permanent end to Satan's influence over the earth.

Yes, the bible foretells events, not jut for today, btu for many years to come, and even then points onwards to eternity.

It was written by his servants then, for his servants on into the future, even beyond today.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 6:33:07 AM
At 1/30/2015 6:16:47 PM, philochristos wrote:
I take MCB more seriously than I take BOG. I haven't read any of BOG's post in a long time. I just skip over them. But I still read some of MCB's post. Of course that might just be because he's more interesting.

Thank you, whatever your reason, lol..
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 6:33:57 AM
At 1/30/2015 6:09:01 PM, Wylted wrote:

Actually there was not one. All are supported by scripture, and scripture rests on the twin pillars of science and history.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 6:54:27 AM
At 1/31/2015 6:33:57 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/30/2015 6:09:01 PM, Wylted wrote:

Actually there was not one. All are supported by scripture, and scripture rests on the twin pillars of science and history.

No, you just brought that up and it's a bare assertion until you provide some premises for it. I'm sure you have premises that violate Occam's Razor, so no need to share them and waste your energy.

The Bible does have some usefulness for learning history just as the epic of Gilgamesh does but obviously the supernatural elements aren't to be trusted without some great evidence to support them, such as the talking Donkey story. Occam's razor would lead most people to believe the writer was full of crap about the Donkey or on some mind altering substance. It would lead you to believe in God somehow.

As far as science is concerned, it actually violates science in a ton of ways. You can trace back the genealogy to Adam and Eve and it would have you think that humans appeared on the Earth somewhere around 10,000 years ago and that the Earth was created just a few days prior. The amount of days is dependent on whether you believe Genesis 1 to be the correct order of creation or Genesis 2.

There is also references to the 4 corners of the Earth and another insinuation that the Earth is flat when Jesus is taken high enough to see all the kingdoms of the Earth by Satan. Science and the bible, definitely disagree with whether the Earth is flat or not.