Jump to topic:

Contempt and Disdain for This Section

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:48:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Every time I post in this section I am reminded of why I hate it. The culture of this section is fallen, and fallen it will remain until the people who have made it what it is now are gone.
Tsar of DDO
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:57:03 PM
At 1/31/2015 5:48:28 PM, YYW wrote:
Every time I post in this section I am reminded of why I hate it. The culture of this section is fallen, and fallen it will remain until the people who have made it what it is now are gone.

And why is that young fellow? Perhaps the participants in this section, have no time for idiots who invade their thread with rubbish that does not contribute in anyway to the topic being debated.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 6:58:12 PM

The only way to keep a religion forum civil is not to have one.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 7:17:27 PM
At 1/31/2015 6:58:12 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

The only way to keep a religion forum civil is not to have one.

AMEN !!!!!!!!!
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 7:35:45 PM
So why don't you stay and improve it? Set a positive example for others to follow.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 9:30:19 PM

Our Creator had His prophets say this; There is no peace in this world.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 7:12:41 AM

Why is it that everyone who saddles onto the religious forum to say it is lacking something never say exactly what the problem is?

Why do you hate it? You never say.

You say, "The culture of this section is fallen..." But you never say what "fallen" means.

The people who have made it what way? You never say.

Can anyone who thinks there is a problem with the religion forum tell me exactly and precisely what they think the the problem is?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 8:01:06 AM

If you hate it why bother to post at all.

I find some of the theists highly entertaining as their views are so crazy they cannot be taken seriously!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 8:09:00 AM
At 2/2/2015 7:12:41 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Why is it that everyone who saddles onto the religious forum to say it is lacking something never say exactly what the problem is?

It's lacking any intellectual discussion. It seems to be petty as hominem attacks that everyone continually fling at each other.

You say, "The culture of this section is fallen..." But you never say what "fallen" means.

It's not a place for intellectual discussion. If I post a thread about the KCA, you'll likely see nothing but straw mans and ad hominem attacks instead of actually having the group, discuss aspects of it as a group learning or excel use project. The rest of the site suffers from the same thing but it's just extremely bad in this section.

We know who they are. We can get banned for saying their name. It's clearly the ones who use every post as an insult and about 4 people who clearly have some sort of delusional mental disorder.

Can anyone who thinks there is a problem with the religion forum tell me exactly and precisely what they think the the problem is?

I stated it. Most people who think so, say so for the same reasons I stated. It actually seems to be getting better now that 2 of the biggest problems have been banned. When and if they come back it will likely revert back to that state. There are about 6 people who just destroy any chance of intelligent conversation taking place. Those people would disappear if people stopped feeding the trolls, but certain idiots like to engage with them, too much.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 8:36:02 AM
At 2/2/2015 8:09:00 AM, Wylted wrote:

It's lacking any intellectual discussion. It seems to be petty as hominem attacks that everyone continually fling at each other.

On this subject, and please be honest or don't answer, who do you think is more at fault? Theists or atheists? Give a percentage if that helps you.

It's not a place for intellectual discussion. If I post a thread about the KCA, you'll likely see nothing but straw mans and ad hominem attacks instead of actually having the group, discuss aspects of it as a group learning or excel use project. The rest of the site suffers from the same thing but it's just extremely bad in this section.

I wonder why is that? 1. Does the subject of religion attract more illogical people? Theist and atheist alike? 2. Or do religious people attract illogical atheists? 3. Or are religious people just illogical?

If 1 is true, all religious boards would be like ours. Is that the case?
If 2 is true, every religious board would have some level of infestation of trolls spewing illogical hate at theists. Is that the case?
If 3 is true, could religious doctrines, churches, and people have been so successful in the world? Are theist only boards just as bad as ours?

We know who they are. We can get banned for saying their name. It's clearly the ones who use every post as an insult and about 4 people who clearly have some sort of delusional mental disorder.

I personally agree with you, but in every debate I saw on this forum about the people banned, just as many people did not want them banned as did. You proposed solution will not come about from consensus.

I stated it.

And thank you for that.

Most people who think so, say so for the same reasons I stated.

That is reasonable but is it true? I wonder which group, atheists or theists, would judge the problem as more serious? It could be, that for the most part, one group does not think that is anything that needs fixing, and the other think the problem is rampant. A poll would be interesting.

It actually seems to be getting better now that 2 of the biggest problems have been banned.

That is true, but the banning itself (and the process leading up to it) attracted at least 2 other trolls. Unless Airmax is ready to do what he dislikes, our trolls will turn out to be hydras.

When and if they come back it will likely revert back to that state. There are about 6 people who just destroy any chance of intelligent conversation taking place. Those people would disappear if people stopped feeding the trolls, but certain idiots like to engage with them, too much.

Well, some are noobs who don't know. They can be excused. And then there's me. But I'm a special case as my interaction with trolls tend to make them less aggressive.

My 2 cents to Airmax. It will only be distasteful for a short while. Stay strong.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 8:48:02 AM
At 2/2/2015 8:36:02 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/2/2015 8:09:00 AM, Wylted wrote:

On this subject, and please be honest or don't answer, who do you think is more at fault? Theists or atheists? Give a percentage if that helps you.

I wonder why is that? 1. Does the subject of religion attract more illogical people? Theist and atheist alike? 2. Or do religious people attract illogical atheists? 3. Or are religious people just illogical?

People looking to discuss it all the time are more likely to be idiots, theist or atheist. I feel bad for people who are the exception to this rule.

If 1 is true, all religious boards would be like ours. Is that the case?

From what I understand, it's unfortunately the norm.

If 2 is true, every religious board would have some level of infestation of trolls spewing illogical hate at theists. Is that the case?

I think the wind that are evenly split are the problem. If 80% of the board is either atheist or theist, you're likely to get a better discussion than 50/50

If 3 is true, could religious doctrines, churches, and people have been so successful in the world? Are theist only boards just as bad as ours?

Probably better. I have theories for why the spread of religion was so successful but it's a complicated subject that needs it's own thread.

It's in bad taste to say and it could get me banned to name, names.

I personally agree with you, but in every debate I saw on this forum about the people banned, just as many people did not want them banned as did. You proposed solution will not come about from consensus.

No it needs to be a mods decision.

I stated it.

And thank you for that.

Most people who think so, say so for the same reasons I stated.

That is reasonable but is it true? I wonder which group, atheists or theists, would judge the problem as more serious? It could be, that for the most part, one group does not think that is anything that needs fixing, and the other think the problem is rampant. A poll would be interesting.

All intelligent atheists and theists pretty much agree with it, with only a few exceptions. It's not a belief system thing in that regard. It's just whether you value intelligent discourse or not.

It actually seems to be getting better now that 2 of the biggest problems have been banned.

That is true, but the banning itself (and the process leading up to it) attracted at least 2 other trolls. Unless Airmax is ready to do what he dislikes, our trolls will turn out to be hydras.

When and if they come back it will likely revert back to that state. There are about 6 people who just destroy any chance of intelligent conversation taking place. Those people would disappear if people stopped feeding the trolls, but certain idiots like to engage with them, too much.

Well, some are noobs who don't know. They can be excused. And then there's me. But I'm a special case as my interaction with trolls tend to make them less aggressive.

My 2 cents to Airmax. It will only be distasteful for a short while. Stay strong.