Total Posts:121|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Give Christianity a Chance??

EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 1:08:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Many atheists were Christian's, so they have given t a chance.

Appreciating the bible from a literary standpoint is completely different then believing God is real and the bible accurately represents him. And BTW, if you are going to characterize the bible then you need to take the whole bible into account.
debate_power
Posts: 726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 3:24:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

I'm giving you a chance. Prove that God exists, and your assumption that he does will cease to be baseless.

Self-validating arguments, on the other hand, can be dismissed without evidence.
You can call me Mark if you like.
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 3:48:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You pose an interesting question but while I appreciate the candor of your post, a few distinctions need to be addressed. On the surface, there is nothing wrong with what you are espousing with regards to modern, westernized Christianity.

The problem lies of course within the deeper levels or understanding of not only Christianity but religion itself. In other words, first distinction - Why Christianity? Why not Hinduism or Islam or Buddhism? There is quite a bit of peer review literature out there from main stream academic ancient historians that not only shed serious doubt about the authenticity of the Judeo-Christian bible, but the figure of Christ himself. And if most of the characters listed in the bible are mythical and the stories allegorical - then why base your beliefs on Iron and Bronze age texts riddled with horrible atrocities? Which brings me to the second distinction - Do you accept the bible as literally true or only parts? And if you are only cherry picking the parts that work for you - why use it at all? Wouldn't you be just as altruistic (or "Christian") if you followed the teachings of Plato, Socrates, Jefferson, Voltaire, or Einstein? Why drag yourself down with religious dogma?

It just seems so backwards to follow teachings that, while may have had applicable utility 2000 years ago, are so archaic and vapid. It took a lot of work, from an evolutionary standpoint, to climb down out of the trees, walk upright and progress as a species from the utilization of sticks and fur to that of nuclear energy, genetics and deep space exploration. Why can't we expect the same natural efforts with regards to setting our moral compasses and living a good and loving life with others without the burden of unfalsifiable, contradictory supernatural forces?
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 9:57:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

I obeyed God's commandment to become a Christian for about nine years so I could observe hypocrites in action. I obeyed every command by God, even His command to read the Bible for two years as a Christian. I liked going to church to listen to the music so when God finally humiliated me out of the last Christian church I attended, I was very angry with Him. I kept obeying His commandments and now I write and speak every word He commands me to write and speak.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:23:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:08:46 PM, Double_R wrote:
Many atheists were Christian's, so they have given t a chance.

Being a "Christian" means to live a life in fellowship with the Spirit of God and to pursue God not just for a moment but for life, some may believe different but I don't care, I know what I read and what I observe and that is the basis of what it means to follow Christ, it is a spiritual lifestyle. Being raised as a kid by churchy parents who made you listen to what they believe and forced you to go to church despite your doubts is not being "Christian". Those kids became Atheist because they despise what their parents did and how they lived their lives and now reject a spiritual existence and God along with it, they believe what Atheists are saying and follow a material mindset.
By giving it a chance means to let go of all the Atheist propaganda, narrow mind set and misplaced hatred for Christianity and really take a fresh look at it and see what Jesus actually teaches without the distraction from any stupid religious doctrine and maybe even be open to it, nothing has to be complicated.


Appreciating the bible from a literary standpoint is completely different then believing God is real and the bible accurately represents him. And BTW, if you are going to characterize the bible then you need to take the whole bible into account.

Who says I haven't lol? I've been reading scripture of my own choice since I was very young. This topic is specific to Christianity should be no confusion.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:26:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 3:24:15 PM, debate_power wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

I'm giving you a chance. Prove that God exists, and your assumption that he does will cease to be baseless.

No, I'm giving you a chance to prove you aren't a typical meathead. Give me a reason why I should bother when you've already made up your mind....

Self-validating arguments, on the other hand, can be dismissed without evidence.

What does this have to do with anything?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:47:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 3:48:25 PM, MEK wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You pose an interesting question but while I appreciate the candor of your post, a few distinctions need to be addressed. On the surface, there is nothing wrong with what you are espousing with regards to modern, westernized Christianity.

Lol tell me what the difference is between what Jesus taught and westernized Christianity please?

The problem lies of course within the deeper levels or understanding of not only Christianity but religion itself. In other words, first distinction - Why Christianity? Why not Hinduism or Islam or Buddhism? There is quite a bit of peer review literature out there from main stream academic ancient historians that not only shed serious doubt about the authenticity of the Judeo-Christian bible, but the figure of Christ himself. And if most of the characters listed in the bible are mythical and the stories allegorical - then why base your beliefs on Iron and Bronze age texts riddled with horrible atrocities? Which brings me to the second distinction - Do you accept the bible as literally true or only parts? And if you are only cherry picking the parts that work for you - why use it at all? Wouldn't you be just as altruistic (or "Christian") if you followed the teachings of Plato, Socrates, Jefferson, Voltaire, or Einstein? Why drag yourself down with religious dogma?

Lets start with my question above I don't want to get off topic here but I'll answer one thing, I DON'T CHERRY PICK, why do Atheists always assume that lol? I was clear about the topic, I AM a Christian and what a Christian follows is specific to what Jesus taught, I'm not cherry picking or ignoring the whole of scripture now that that's out of the way maybe we can talk.

It just seems so backwards to follow teachings that, while may have had applicable utility 2000 years ago, are so archaic and vapid. It took a lot of work, from an evolutionary standpoint, to climb down out of the trees, walk upright and progress as a species from the utilization of sticks and fur to that of nuclear energy, genetics and deep space exploration. Why can't we expect the same natural efforts with regards to setting our moral compasses and living a good and loving life with others without the burden of unfalsifiable, contradictory supernatural forces?

Okay seems like you have an ear for naturalism and living a good life but when anything of a spiritual nature comes up you're all deaf lol.
I don't pursue God to live "a good moral life", I can do that alone I pursue God to learn spiritual things and how they apply, although living a moral life walks hand in hand when pursuing God it's not the reason it's just an outcome.
bulproof
Posts: 25,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:49:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You know absolutely nothing about atheism. Thanks for posting your pig ignorance.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:51:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:49:55 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You know absolutely nothing about atheism. Thanks for posting your pig ignorance.

Oh look it's Bul lol, give me an example of how I know nothing?
bulproof
Posts: 25,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:53:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:51:32 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:49:55 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You know absolutely nothing about atheism. Thanks for posting your pig ignorance.

Oh look it's Bul lol, give me an example of how I know nothing?

I quoted your post already dummy, job done.
Give me a kiss.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Proving_a_Negative
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:57:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I used to believe in god and argued for his existence. Now I am the complete opposite. Christianity had its chance. Now you should give atheism a chance.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 7:38:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

I was a 'born again' Christian as a young person, not a great experience that is for sure. I never once had the feeling the deity or Jesus were around. I was more than glad I lost my faith by the time I married at 19. I certainly haven't missed it.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:26:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

It's all complete bs, there isn't a stitch of truth to any of it. The only thing Christianity appears to accomplish is to push away and divide people into "us and them", a mentality of intolerance and hatred towards others.

If you aren't with them, you must be against them.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 10:29:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:23:46 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:08:46 PM, Double_R wrote:
Many atheists were Christian's, so they have given t a chance.

Being a "Christian" means to live a life in fellowship with the Spirit of God and to pursue God not just for a moment but for life, some may believe different but I don't care, I know what I read and what I observe and that is the basis of what it means to follow Christ, it is a spiritual lifestyle. Being raised as a kid by churchy parents who made you listen to what they believe and forced you to go to church despite your doubts is not being "Christian". Those kids became Atheist because they despise what their parents did and how they lived their lives and now reject a spiritual existence and God along with it, they believe what Atheists are saying and follow a material mindset.
By giving it a chance means to let go of all the Atheist propaganda, narrow mind set and misplaced hatred for Christianity and really take a fresh look at it and see what Jesus actually teaches without the distraction from any stupid religious doctrine and maybe even be open to it, nothing has to be complicated.

Everyone has their own story and/or reasons that lead them to atheism. To pretend that every atheist became one as a result of despising their parents for making them go to church is the most narrow-minded and quite frankly stupidest insinuation repeated continuously in the theist community. Many atheists were strong followers of Christ till well after mommy and daddy were out of the picture. Matt Dillahunty, one of the most prominent atheists today was a Christain for 25 years and was studying to become a preacher when he realized that his beliefs were without merit.

I understand that it is much easier to discredit atheists then it is to deal with the arguments, but if you have any interest in an honest viewpoint based on reality and reason then the arguments are what you need to focus on.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 1:30:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I gave it a chance for a couple of decades until all the inconsistencies and contradictions became too much. I could no longer ignore what was wrong and only focus on what I was told by preachers and others. In short, I gave it a chance and it failed miserably. Why don't you give rationality a chance, try seeing the world, indeed, the universe we live in without theist glasses?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 5:33:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:57:59 AM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:
I used to believe in god and argued for his existence. Now I am the complete opposite. Christianity had its chance. Now you should give atheism a chance.

Why are you the complete opposite? What do you mean "it had it's chance"?

Why would I go from an open minded free thinking mindset to a narrow minded strictly material mindset and beliefs??? That's not gonna happen, I already know what Atheists believe and they have nothing to offer, it doesn't shed light on anything beyond the physical and that is something I will never embrace because I know better.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 5:37:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:53:28 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:51:32 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:49:55 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You know absolutely nothing about atheism. Thanks for posting your pig ignorance.

Oh look it's Bul lol, give me an example of how I know nothing?

I quoted your post already dummy, job done.
Give me a kiss.

Don't be scared to answer my question Bul, that's not gonna cut it. I'll give you a kiss when you make some sense for a change, I want an example of something I don't know about Atheism.....this I gotta know.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 5:41:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 7:38:20 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

I was a 'born again' Christian as a young person, not a great experience that is for sure. I never once had the feeling the deity or Jesus were around. I was more than glad I lost my faith by the time I married at 19. I certainly haven't missed it.

What exactly do you believe made you a "born again Christian" only as a young person? And if I may why was it not a great experience?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 5:44:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 8:26:04 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

It's all complete bs, there isn't a stitch of truth to any of it. The only thing Christianity appears to accomplish is to push away and divide people into "us and them", a mentality of intolerance and hatred towards others.

Show me in the teaching of Christian scripture why I should believe that...

If you aren't with them, you must be against them.

What are you against?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 5:53:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 10:29:15 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:23:46 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:08:46 PM, Double_R wrote:
Many atheists were Christian's, so they have given t a chance.

Being a "Christian" means to live a life in fellowship with the Spirit of God and to pursue God not just for a moment but for life, some may believe different but I don't care, I know what I read and what I observe and that is the basis of what it means to follow Christ, it is a spiritual lifestyle. Being raised as a kid by churchy parents who made you listen to what they believe and forced you to go to church despite your doubts is not being "Christian". Those kids became Atheist because they despise what their parents did and how they lived their lives and now reject a spiritual existence and God along with it, they believe what Atheists are saying and follow a material mindset.
By giving it a chance means to let go of all the Atheist propaganda, narrow mind set and misplaced hatred for Christianity and really take a fresh look at it and see what Jesus actually teaches without the distraction from any stupid religious doctrine and maybe even be open to it, nothing has to be complicated.

Everyone has their own story and/or reasons that lead them to atheism. To pretend that every atheist became one as a result of despising their parents for making them go to church is the most narrow-minded and quite frankly stupidest insinuation repeated continuously in the theist community. Many atheists were strong followers of Christ till well after mommy and daddy were out of the picture. Matt Dillahunty, one of the most prominent atheists today was a Christain for 25 years and was studying to become a preacher when he realized that his beliefs were without merit.

So do you disagree with my assessment of what it means to be a Christian? I go by what I observe and what the majority of Atheists say that were once "Christian". I'm well aware of "Matt Dillahunty" and if he'd like to join the conversation then I'd be glad to discuss the problem.

I understand that it is much easier to discredit atheists then it is to deal with the arguments, but if you have any interest in an honest viewpoint based on reality and reason then the arguments are what you need to focus on.

Like what? What is it that I'm not dealing with?
Proving_a_Negative
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 5:54:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 5:33:12 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:57:59 AM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:
I used to believe in god and argued for his existence. Now I am the complete opposite. Christianity had its chance. Now you should give atheism a chance.

Why are you the complete opposite? What do you mean "it had it's chance"?

Why would I go from an open minded free thinking mindset to a narrow minded strictly material mindset and beliefs??? That's not gonna happen, I already know what Atheists believe and they have nothing to offer, it doesn't shed light on anything beyond the physical and that is something I will never embrace because I know better.

I realized that there was absolutely no evidence for a belief in god. I then used Pascal's Wager to stay a christian. I then realized that since there are so many different religions out there that say "You must believe us to go to heaven." It became so unlikely you were picking the right religion that it isn't even worth trying.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:04:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 5:54:02 PM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:
At 2/8/2015 5:33:12 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:57:59 AM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:
I used to believe in god and argued for his existence. Now I am the complete opposite. Christianity had its chance. Now you should give atheism a chance.

Why are you the complete opposite? What do you mean "it had it's chance"?

Why would I go from an open minded free thinking mindset to a narrow minded strictly material mindset and beliefs??? That's not gonna happen, I already know what Atheists believe and they have nothing to offer, it doesn't shed light on anything beyond the physical and that is something I will never embrace because I know better.

I realized that there was absolutely no evidence for a belief in god. I then used Pascal's Wager to stay a christian. I then realized that since there are so many different religions out there that say "You must believe us to go to heaven." It became so unlikely you were picking the right religion that it isn't even worth trying.

Give me an example of what you believe is equivalent to Christianity. And what are the "so many" religions out there that say you must believe to go to Heaven?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:10:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 9:57:26 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

I obeyed God's commandment to become a Christian for about nine years so I could observe hypocrites in action. I obeyed every command by God, even His command to read the Bible for two years as a Christian. I liked going to church to listen to the music so when God finally humiliated me out of the last Christian church I attended, I was very angry with Him. I kept obeying His commandments and now I write and speak every word He commands me to write and speak.

Why would it surprise you to find hypocrisy in church? And why did God humiliate you?
I'm only asking because I see you made an attempt to abandon your normal repetitive stuff.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:12:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 5:53:34 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 10:29:15 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:23:46 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:08:46 PM, Double_R wrote:
Many atheists were Christian's, so they have given t a chance.

Being a "Christian" means to live a life in fellowship with the Spirit of God and to pursue God not just for a moment but for life, some may believe different but I don't care, I know what I read and what I observe and that is the basis of what it means to follow Christ, it is a spiritual lifestyle. Being raised as a kid by churchy parents who made you listen to what they believe and forced you to go to church despite your doubts is not being "Christian". Those kids became Atheist because they despise what their parents did and how they lived their lives and now reject a spiritual existence and God along with it, they believe what Atheists are saying and follow a material mindset.
By giving it a chance means to let go of all the Atheist propaganda, narrow mind set and misplaced hatred for Christianity and really take a fresh look at it and see what Jesus actually teaches without the distraction from any stupid religious doctrine and maybe even be open to it, nothing has to be complicated.

Everyone has their own story and/or reasons that lead them to atheism. To pretend that every atheist became one as a result of despising their parents for making them go to church is the most narrow-minded and quite frankly stupidest insinuation repeated continuously in the theist community. Many atheists were strong followers of Christ till well after mommy and daddy were out of the picture. Matt Dillahunty, one of the most prominent atheists today was a Christain for 25 years and was studying to become a preacher when he realized that his beliefs were without merit.

So do you disagree with my assessment of what it means to be a Christian? I go by what I observe and what the majority of Atheists say that were once "Christian". I'm well aware of "Matt Dillahunty" and if he'd like to join the conversation then I'd be glad to discuss the problem.

Yes, I disagree with your definition. You claim that to be a Christain they must follow Christ's teachings *for life*, which is a retroactive definition. You are defining what someone is now based on beliefs they do not yet hold which is absurd. By that definition no one can be considered a Christian till they are dead.

I understand that it is much easier to discredit atheists then it is to deal with the arguments, but if you have any interest in an honest viewpoint based on reality and reason then the arguments are what you need to focus on.

Like what? What is it that I'm not dealing with?

I am making a point that your assessment of why people become atheists is not just wrong in many (and probably most) cases, but is more importantly irrelevant to any attempt at an honest discussion about atheistic views and demonstrates quite smug arrogance on your part.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:20:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:12:55 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/8/2015 5:53:34 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 10:29:15 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:23:46 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:08:46 PM, Double_R wrote:
Many atheists were Christian's, so they have given t a chance.

Being a "Christian" means to live a life in fellowship with the Spirit of God and to pursue God not just for a moment but for life, some may believe different but I don't care, I know what I read and what I observe and that is the basis of what it means to follow Christ, it is a spiritual lifestyle. Being raised as a kid by churchy parents who made you listen to what they believe and forced you to go to church despite your doubts is not being "Christian". Those kids became Atheist because they despise what their parents did and how they lived their lives and now reject a spiritual existence and God along with it, they believe what Atheists are saying and follow a material mindset.
By giving it a chance means to let go of all the Atheist propaganda, narrow mind set and misplaced hatred for Christianity and really take a fresh look at it and see what Jesus actually teaches without the distraction from any stupid religious doctrine and maybe even be open to it, nothing has to be complicated.

Everyone has their own story and/or reasons that lead them to atheism. To pretend that every atheist became one as a result of despising their parents for making them go to church is the most narrow-minded and quite frankly stupidest insinuation repeated continuously in the theist community. Many atheists were strong followers of Christ till well after mommy and daddy were out of the picture. Matt Dillahunty, one of the most prominent atheists today was a Christain for 25 years and was studying to become a preacher when he realized that his beliefs were without merit.

So do you disagree with my assessment of what it means to be a Christian? I go by what I observe and what the majority of Atheists say that were once "Christian". I'm well aware of "Matt Dillahunty" and if he'd like to join the conversation then I'd be glad to discuss the problem.

Yes, I disagree with your definition. You claim that to be a Christain they must follow Christ's teachings *for life*, which is a retroactive definition. You are defining what someone is now based on beliefs they do not yet hold which is absurd. By that definition no one can be considered a Christian till they are dead.

Then show me otherwise, so you believe that a person "was" a Christian and who is now an Atheists qualifies them as a Christian lol? Show me in scripture please.

I understand that it is much easier to discredit atheists then it is to deal with the arguments, but if you have any interest in an honest viewpoint based on reality and reason then the arguments are what you need to focus on.

Like what? What is it that I'm not dealing with?

I am making a point that your assessment of why people become atheists is not just wrong in many (and probably most) cases, but is more importantly irrelevant to any attempt at an honest discussion about atheistic views and demonstrates quite smug arrogance on your part.

My assessment I stand by... I believe if you talk with me you will find that to not be the case.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:30:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:20:09 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:12:55 PM, Double_R wrote:
Yes, I disagree with your definition. You claim that to be a Christain they must follow Christ's teachings *for life*, which is a retroactive definition. You are defining what someone is now based on beliefs they do not yet hold which is absurd. By that definition no one can be considered a Christian till they are dead.

Then show me otherwise, so you believe that a person "was" a Christian and who is now an Atheists qualifies them as a Christian lol? Show me in scripture please.

Wow. No.

I did not say that someone who is now an atheist is a Christian. I said that someone who is now a Christian is a Christian. My definition of a Christian comes from the dictionary:
https://www.google.com...

I am making a point that your assessment of why people become atheists is not just wrong in many (and probably most) cases, but is more importantly irrelevant to any attempt at an honest discussion about atheistic views and demonstrates quite smug arrogance on your part.

My assessment I stand by... I believe if you talk with me you will find that to not be the case.

I will find what to not be the case? If you're talking about my comment regarding your smug arrogance then I am not saying that this is an accurate description of your character (I haven't had enough interactions with you to suggest that), I am saying that it is apparent in your insinuation which is why I advised you to not make it and focus on other things.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:33:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You are following the teachings of Jesus who was crucified as a criminal for what he taught which was blasphemy to the Jews. They tried, convicted and put Jesus to death for blasphemy. If you read the evil that God did to the world and the Jews even you would find the Jews were fully justified for crucifying Jesus when they heard Jesus claiming to be God.

1. God drowns the whole earth.
In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and perhaps unicorns. Only a single family survives. In Matthew 24:37-42, gentle Jesus approves of this genocide and plans to repeat it when he returns.
2. God kills half a million people.
In 2 Chronicles 13:15-18, God helps the men of Judah kill 500,000 of their fellow Israelites.
3. God slaughters all Egyptian firstborn.
In Exodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn.
4. God kills 14,000 people for complaining that God keeps killing them.
In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.
5. Genocide after genocide after genocide.
In Joshua 6:20-21, God helps the Israelites destroy Jericho, killing "men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys." In Deuteronomy 2:32-35, God has the Israelites kill everyone in Heshbon, including children. In Deuteronomy 3:3-7, God has the Israelites do the same to the people of Bashan. In Numbers 31:7-18, the Israelites kill all the Midianites except for the virgins, whom they take as spoils of war. In 1 Samuel 15:1-9, God tells the Israelites to kill all the Amalekites " men, women, children, infants, and their cattle " for something the Amalekites" ancestors had done 400 years earlier.
6. God kills 50,000 people for curiosity.
In 1 Samuel 6:19, God kills 50,000 men for peeking into the ark of the covenant. (Newer cosmetic translations count only 70 deaths, but their text notes admit that the best and earliest manuscripts put the number at 50,070.)
7. 3,000 Israelites killed for inventing a god.
In Exodus 32, Moses has climbed Mount Sinai to get the Ten Commandments. The Israelites are bored, so they invent a golden calf god. Moses comes back and God commands him: "Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor." About 3,000 people died.
8. The Amorites destroyed by sword and by God"s rocks.
In Joshua 10:10-11, God helps the Israelites slaughter the Amorites by sword, then finishes them off with rocks from the sky.
9. God burns two cities to death.
In Genesis 19:24, God kills everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah with fire from the sky. Then God kills Lot"s wife for looking back at her burning home.
10. God has 42 children mauled by bears.
In 2 Kings 2:23-24, some kids tease the prophet Elisha, and God sends bears to dismember them. (Newer cosmetic translations say the bears "maul" the children, but the original Hebrew, baqa, means "to tear apart.")
11. A tribe slaughtered and their virgins raped for not showing up at roll call.
In Judges 21:1-23, a tribe of Israelites misses roll call, so the other Israelites kill them all except for the virgins, which they take for themselves. Still not happy, they hide in vineyards and pounce on dancing women from Shiloh to take them for themselves.
12. 3,000 crushed to death.
In Judges 16:27-30, God gives Samson strength to bring down a building to crush 3,000 members of a rival tribe.
13. A concubine raped and dismembered.
In Judges 19:22-29, a mob demands to rape a godly master"s guest. The master offers his daughter and a concubine to them instead. They take the concubine and gang-rape her all night. The master finds her on his doorstep in the morning, cuts her into 12 pieces, and ships the pieces around the country.
14. Child sacrifice.
In Judges 11:30-39, Jephthah burns his daughter alive as a sacrificial offering for God"s favor in killing the Ammonites.
15. God helps Samson kill 30 men because he lost a bet.
In Judges 14:11-19, Samson loses a bet for 30 sets of clothes. The spirit of God comes upon him and he kills 30 men to steal their clothes and pay off the debt.
16. God demands you kill your wife and children for worshiping other gods.
In Deuteronomy 13:6-10, God commands that you must kill your wife, children, brother, and friend if they worship other gods.
17. God incinerates 51 men to make a point.
In 2 Kings 1:9-10, Elijah gets God to burn 51 men with fire from heaven to prove he is God.
18. God kills a man for not impregnating his brother"s widow.
In Genesis 38:9-10, God kills a man for refusing to impregnate his brother"s widow.
19. God threatens forced cannibalism.
In Leviticus 26:27-29 and Jeremiah 19:9, God threatens to punish the Israelites by making them eat their own children.
20. The coming slaughter.
According to Revelation 9:7-19, God"s got more evil coming. God will make horse-like locusts with human heads and scorpion tails, who torture people for 5 months. Then some angels will kill a third of the earth"s population. If he came today, that would be 2 billion people.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:39:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:30:31 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:20:09 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 2/8/2015 6:12:55 PM, Double_R wrote:
Yes, I disagree with your definition. You claim that to be a Christain they must follow Christ's teachings *for life*, which is a retroactive definition. You are defining what someone is now based on beliefs they do not yet hold which is absurd. By that definition no one can be considered a Christian till they are dead.

Then show me otherwise, so you believe that a person "was" a Christian and who is now an Atheists qualifies them as a Christian lol? Show me in scripture please.

Wow. No.

I did not say that someone who is now an atheist is a Christian. I said that someone who is now a Christian is a Christian. My definition of a Christian comes from the dictionary:
https://www.google.com...

I already provided the definition, and now according to you one can be a "Christian" momentarily lol? So I would like you to show me within scripture why I should believe that, and then when you're done I can show you why it is not true.

I am making a point that your assessment of why people become atheists is not just wrong in many (and probably most) cases, but is more importantly irrelevant to any attempt at an honest discussion about atheistic views and demonstrates quite smug arrogance on your part.

My assessment I stand by... I believe if you talk with me you will find that to not be the case.

I will find what to not be the case? If you're talking about my comment regarding your smug arrogance then I am not saying that this is an accurate description of your character (I haven't had enough interactions with you to suggest that), I am saying that it is apparent in your insinuation which is why I advised you to not make it and focus on other things.

Focus on what? And why is my comment smug arrogance when there is truth to it?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:43:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/8/2015 6:33:35 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/7/2015 1:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Atheists.... would you ever give it a chance? (lol I'm not expecting kind answers)

I'm simply a "non-denominational" Christian, meaning I have no ties with any particular organization so my opinions are not restricted to a specific religious doctrine I simply apply what I learn to my life or least that is the goal, to me that is the simplicity of Christian teaching.
What does "Christianity" mean and what exactly is it.....
For the sake of argument I think it's fair to say that to be a "Christian" means to adhere to or follow the Teachings of Christ which I believe can be found in any definition of the word.
Well what ARE the teachings of Christ and what is the point....
My own spin on it or what I get from it would be to say that the point of Christianity (what Christ taught) is to individually bring man to "God", it's an "avenue" to connect and abide with "God", it sheds light on basic information we spiritually need to know, in a nut-shell would you disagree with that? Not do you believe that, but would you disagree with that assessment scripturally and if not can you show me ...preferably using scripture?
If you do agree with that assessment can you tell me what your main problem with that is and why it would be something you have a problem with besides the fact you don't believe God exists obviously....

You are following the teachings of Jesus who was crucified as a criminal for what he taught which was blasphemy to the Jews. They tried, convicted and put Jesus to death for blasphemy. If you read the evil that God did to the world and the Jews even you would find the Jews were fully justified for crucifying Jesus when they heard Jesus claiming to be God.

Wrong, I don't find the Jews fully justified in murdering Jesus, but nice try.

1. God drowns the whole earth.
In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and perhaps unicorns. Only a single family survives. In Matthew 24:37-42, gentle Jesus approves of this genocide and plans to repeat it when he returns.
2. God kills half a million people.
In 2 Chronicles 13:15-18, God helps the men of Judah kill 500,000 of their fellow Israelites.
3. God slaughters all Egyptian firstborn.
In Exodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn.
4. God kills 14,000 people for complaining that God keeps killing them.
In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.
5. Genocide after genocide after genocide.
In Joshua 6:20-21, God helps the Israelites destroy Jericho, killing "men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys." In Deuteronomy 2:32-35, God has the Israelites kill everyone in Heshbon, including children. In Deuteronomy 3:3-7, God has the Israelites do the same to the people of Bashan. In Numbers 31:7-18, the Israelites kill all the Midianites except for the virgins, whom they take as spoils of war. In 1 Samuel 15:1-9, God tells the Israelites to kill all the Amalekites " men, women, children, infants, and their cattle " for something the Amalekites" ancestors had done 400 years earlier.
6. God kills 50,000 people for curiosity.
In 1 Samuel 6:19, God kills 50,000 men for peeking into the ark of the covenant. (Newer cosmetic translations count only 70 deaths, but their text notes admit that the best and earliest manuscripts put the number at 50,070.)
7. 3,000 Israelites killed for inventing a god.
In Exodus 32, Moses has climbed Mount Sinai to get the Ten Commandments. The Israelites are bored, so they invent a golden calf god. Moses comes back and God commands him: "Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor." About 3,000 people died.
8. The Amorites destroyed by sword and by God"s rocks.
In Joshua 10:10-11, God helps the Israelites slaughter the Amorites by sword, then finishes them off with rocks from the sky.
9. God burns two cities to death.
In Genesis 19:24, God kills everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah with fire from the sky. Then God kills Lot"s wife for looking back at her burning home.
10. God has 42 children mauled by bears.
In 2 Kings 2:23-24, some kids tease the prophet Elisha, and God sends bears to dismember them. (Newer cosmetic translations say the bears "maul" the children, but the original Hebrew, baqa, means "to tear apart.")
11. A tribe slaughtered and their virgins raped for not showing up at roll call.
In Judges 21:1-23, a tribe of Israelites misses roll call, so the other Israelites kill them all except for the virgins, which they take for themselves. Still not happy, they hide in vineyards and pounce on dancing women from Shiloh to take them for themselves.
12. 3,000 crushed to death.
In Judges 16:27-30, God gives Samson strength to bring down a building to crush 3,000 members of a rival tribe.
13. A concubine raped and dismembered.
In Judges 19:22-29, a mob demands to rape a godly master"s guest. The master offers his daughter and a concubine to them instead. They take the concubine and gang-rape her all night. The master finds her on his doorstep in the morning, cuts her into 12 pieces, and ships the pieces around the country.
14. Child sacrifice.
In Judges 11:30-39, Jephthah burns his daughter alive as a sacrificial offering for God"s favor in killing the Ammonites.
15. God helps Samson kill 30 men because he lost a bet.
In Judges 14:11-19, Samson loses a bet for 30 sets of clothes. The spirit of God comes upon him and he kills 30 men to steal their clothes and pay off the debt.
16. God demands you kill your wife and children for worshiping other gods.
In Deuteronomy 13:6-10, God commands that you must kill your wife, children, brother, and friend if they worship other gods.
17. God incinerates 51 men to make a point.
In 2 Kings 1:9-10, Elijah gets God to burn 51 men with fire from heaven to prove he is God.
18. God kills a man for not impregnating his brother"s widow.
In Genesis 38:9-10, God kills a man for refusing to impregnate his brother"s widow.
19. God threatens forced cannibalism.
In Leviticus 26:27-29 and Jeremiah 19:9, God threatens to punish the Israelites by making them eat their own children.
20. The coming slaughter.
According to Revelation 9:7-19, God"s got more evil coming. God will make horse-like locusts with human heads and scorpion tails, who torture people for 5 months. Then some angels will kill a third of the earth"s population. If he came today, that would be 2 billion people.