Total Posts:76|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is the buddhist world-view a viable view?

Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
uncung
Posts: 3,453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 7:08:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 7:54:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 7:08:43 PM, uncung wrote:
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.

Believing that our God is "The Son of Man" a four dimensional being, who, according to our concept of one directional linear time, does not yet exist. The Son of Man, who is the evolving spirit within the body of mankind, will be born when the umbilical cord that binds him to the mother body is severed with the death of that body, and He will/has descended through time, where all his elect and chosen ones have received a visitation from him.

Mankind stands on the top rung of the ladder of evolution, and is currently the Most High in the creation, but only the foolish atheists would dare to believe that the process of evolution ended when mankind came into being from his animal parentage.

The spirit of mankind had developed within the body of the proto-human species that preceded him, just as the Son of Man is currently developing within the expanding and pregnant androgynous body of Eve, who will continue to live as long as there is still one human being alive.

It is my belief that Brahman and the Word=Logos, are one and the same being. And that at the close of each cycle of universal activity, the Most High to have developed within that cycle enters into Brahman=Logos, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead to have developed=evolved within that generational body of the ever evolving universe.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 8:22:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 7:08:43 PM, uncung wrote:
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.

silly response, you follow Buddism because you like Buddhism. If you don't follow it you will never know what it is to follow Buddism. That is the risk. similar to never eating a food, or reading a book. Buddism does not suggest you will go to hell like other religions if you do not follow, just that you will stay in the current way of things. it is the Abrihamic religions that preach punishment as a means of recruiting people.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 8:38:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

I have studied Buddhism a decent amount. On the surface I initially found it intriguing, but after getting to know it I no longer liked it. Buddhism teaches that the world is suffering. I disagree. It teaches the path to enlightenment is detachment, I also disagree with this. In essence the message is, you suffer because you care. If you can detach and see everything as impermanent then you know the truth. The truth being that you are permanently the sum of all impermanence. The only answer for Buddhist is to reject the entire system, and that is nirvana. Of course different sects teach different aspects but this is the base.

I like the Hindu way better than the Buddhist way. But you really need to study Hinduism to understand it. Lots of metaphors.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 9:10:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

I have studied Buddhism a decent amount. On the surface I initially found it intriguing, but after getting to know it I no longer liked it. Buddhism teaches that the world is suffering. I disagree. It teaches the path to enlightenment is detachment, I also disagree with this. In essence the message is, you suffer because you care. If you can detach and see everything as impermanent then you know the truth. The truth being that you are permanently the sum of all impermanence. The only answer for Buddhist is to reject the entire system, and that is nirvana. Of course different sects teach different aspects but this is the base.

I like the Hindu way better than the Buddhist way. But you really need to study Hinduism to understand it. Lots of metaphors.

The Hindu way just offers a different way to "liberation" than the Buddhist's nirvana. And, I think there is some truth in the buddhist way of thinking. Nothing is permenant, emotions that have a "contaminated" reason behind them are suffering, there is no permanent self, and nirvana is possible (peace, as I like to see it).
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 9:11:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.

The question is not whether one should follow it, but whether its world view is an acceptable one. "By the world view I am referring to the four dharma seals.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 9:12:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

Believing that our God is "The Son of Man" a four dimensional being, who, according to our concept of one directional linear time, does not yet exist. The Son of Man, who is the evolving spirit within the body of mankind, will be born when the umbilical cord that binds him to the mother body is severed with the death of that body, and He will/has descended through time, where all his elect and chosen ones have received a visitation from him.

Mankind stands on the top rung of the ladder of evolution, and is currently the Most High in the creation, but only the foolish atheists would dare to believe that the process of evolution ended when mankind came into being from his animal parentage.

The spirit of mankind had developed within the body of the proto-human species that preceded him, just as the Son of Man is currently developing within the expanding and pregnant androgynous body of Eve, who will continue to live as long as there is still one human being alive.

It is my belief that Brahman and the Word=Logos, are one and the same being. And that at the close of each cycle of universal activity, the Most High to have developed within that cycle enters into Brahman=Logos, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead to have developed=evolved within that generational body of the ever evolving universe.

Is this related to hinduism? There is a concept of Brahman in hinduism, but I don't think that this is exactly it.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 9:56:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 9:10:16 PM, Pase66 wrote:

I have studied Buddhism a decent amount. On the surface I initially found it intriguing, but after getting to know it I no longer liked it. Buddhism teaches that the world is suffering. I disagree. It teaches the path to enlightenment is detachment, I also disagree with this. In essence the message is, you suffer because you care. If you can detach and see everything as impermanent then you know the truth. The truth being that you are permanently the sum of all impermanence. The only answer for Buddhist is to reject the entire system, and that is nirvana. Of course different sects teach different aspects but this is the base.

I like the Hindu way better than the Buddhist way. But you really need to study Hinduism to understand it. Lots of metaphors.

The Hindu way just offers a different way to "liberation" than the Buddhist's nirvana. And, I think there is some truth in the buddhist way of thinking. Nothing is permenant, emotions that have a "contaminated" reason behind them are suffering, there is no permanent self, and nirvana is possible (peace, as I like to see it).

The difference is Hinduism suggests there are limitless ways to liberation. That fits with my views of god.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 10:03:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 9:12:50 PM, Pase66 wrote:

Believing that our God is "The Son of Man" a four dimensional being, who, according to our concept of one directional linear time, does not yet exist. The Son of Man, who is the evolving spirit within the body of mankind, will be born when the umbilical cord that binds him to the mother body is severed with the death of that body, and He will/has descended through time, where all his elect and chosen ones have received a visitation from him.

Mankind stands on the top rung of the ladder of evolution, and is currently the Most High in the creation, but only the foolish atheists would dare to believe that the process of evolution ended when mankind came into being from his animal parentage.

The spirit of mankind had developed within the body of the proto-human species that preceded him, just as the Son of Man is currently developing within the expanding and pregnant androgynous body of Eve, who will continue to live as long as there is still one human being alive.

It is my belief that Brahman and the Word=Logos, are one and the same being. And that at the close of each cycle of universal activity, the Most High to have developed within that cycle enters into Brahman=Logos, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead to have developed=evolved within that generational body of the ever evolving universe.

Is this related to hinduism? There is a concept of Brahman in hinduism, but I don't think that this is exactly it.

According to the ancient cultures, we live in an eternal oscillating universe that expands outward and contracts back to its beginning in space time, a living universal being who is all that exists, and in who, all that is, exists. A living universal being who exists in the two states of visible matter and invisible energy.

"Universe after universe is like an interminable succession of wheels forever coming into view, forever rolling onwards, disappearing and reappearing; forever passing from being to non being, and again from non being to being. In short, the constant revolving of the wheel of life in one eternal cycle, according to fixed and immutable laws, is perhaps after all the sum and substance of the philosophy of Buddhism. And this eternal wheel has so to speak, six spokes representing six forms of existence." ---- Mon. Williams, Buddhism, pp. 229, 122.

The days and nights of Brahma are called Manvantara, or the cycle of manifestation, "The Great Day," which is a period of universal activity, that is preceded, and also followed by "Pralaya," a dark period, which to our finite minds seems as an eternity. "Manvantara," is a creative day as seen in the six days of creation in Genesis, "Pralaya," is the evening that proceeds the next creative day. The six periods of Creation and the seventh day of rest in which we now exist are referred to in the book of Genesis as the "GENERATIONS OF THE UNIVERSE."

The English word "Generation," is translated from the Hebrew "toledoth" which is used in the Old Testament in every instance as "births," or "descendants," such as "These are the generations of Adam," or "these are the generations of Abraham, and Genesis 2: 4; These are the generations of the Universe or the heavens and earth, etc.

And the "Great Day" in which the seven generations of the universe are eternally repeated, is the eternal cosmic period, or the eighth eternal day in which those who attain to perfection are allowed to enter, where they shall be surrounded by great light and they shall experience eternal peace, while those who do not attain to perfection are cast back into the refining fires of the seven physical cycles that perpetually revolve within the eighth eternal cosmic cycle.

Enoch the righteous wrote that God created an eighth day also, so that it should be the first after his works, and it is a day eternal with neither hours, days, weeks, months or years, for all time is stuck together in one eon, etc, etc, and all who enter into the generation of the Light beings, are able to visit all those worlds that still exist in space-time, but not in our three dimensional time.

A series of worlds following one upon the other,-- each world rising a step higher than the previous world, so that every later world brings to ripeness the seeds that were imbedded in the former, and itself then prepares the seed for the universe that will follow it.

This is the true resurrection in which all from the previous cycle of universal activity, who still have the judgemental war raging within them, are born again, when they are cast back into the refining fires, the next cycle of physical manifestation.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 10:14:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Continued from post #10:

The root to the word "BRAHMAN" originally meant "SPEECH", much the same as the "LOGOS" is said to mean "WORD," but both are in fact, the gathered genetic information of every universal body throughout all eternity. Both Brahman and Logos, should be seen as the essential divine reality of the universe the eternal spirit from which all being originates, and to which all must return.

You are body, soul and spirit. Your body is made up from the universal elements, and it is activated by the universal soul, which is the animating principle that pervades the entire universal body, activating everything within the universe, from the wave particles to the subatomic particles that make up the atoms which are the building blocks of the molecules from which the universal body is created. It is to the universal soul=LIFE-FORCE that all information = SPIRIT is gathered.

"YOU" the mind, are spirit. The body in which you, [The mind] are developing as the supreme head and controller of that body, is made up of the universal elements, which is activated by the soul [Animating life force] to which all the spirit [gathered information] of all your ancestors, human and prehuman, has been gathered in the evolution of whatever was in the beginning to become who you are, and that parental spirit dwells behind the veil to the inner most sanctuary of its earthly tabernacle=tent, which is your body.

If that body in which your parental spirit dwells, were born without the sense of sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc, then no information whatsoever could be taken into the brain, and "YOU" who are spirit [Gathered information] could never have begun to develop and the living body, in which the parental spirit dwells, would soon die, never having developed a personality = "CONTROLLING GODHEAD" to that body.

Then of the Thee in Me who works behind
The veil, I lifted up my hands to find
A lamp amid the Darkness; and I heard,
As from Without__ "The Me within Thee is blind.".... By Omar Khayyam.

When the body in which you [the mind] are being formed, dies, [This is the first death] and your body: "skin, flesh, muscle, blood, bone, brain matter etc, etc," has returned to the universal elements from which it was created, all that remains, is a shadow or rather, a facsimile of YOU = the mind=spirit, that has been imprinted into the universal life force=soul, from which it will be resurrected in the next cycle of universal activity. Unless of course, the information=spirit that is "YOU" is divided from the universal life-force, which is the second death. For the spirit=information that is you, can be divided from the universal soul----------"For the word of God is alive and active, sharper than any two edged sword. It cuts all the way through to the division of the soul and spirit."
'
The term, "THE WORD OF GOD," pertains to the sense that is identical to the term "LOGOS" or the mold. The mold by which the whole sense of a thing is given. In other words, the very plan from the outset. In Sanskrit the similar meaning is given in the use of the word 'vach.' Vach means word. But in Sanskrit teachings of the Sanatana Dharma, vach has many levels. Including where the word is first considered as being in the mind as a thought, not as the spoken word or speech.

We humans, may express in our spoken words, all the information that has been gathered through the senses of our bodies in the creation of the invisible minds=spirits that are "WE". Our word is the expression of "Who we are." Your words are the spirit that is "YOU" the mind.

But the "LOGOS=WORD" and BRAHMAN=SPEECH" who are the gathered information=spirit of the aeons, express the information that has been gathered to the universal soul as another universal body, which is in the image and likeness to the previous universe, [The Resurrection] in which the eternal Spirit=mind has and can continue to evolve.

In the Pseudigraphia of the Old Testament, The Lord God says to Adam, "Dust you are and to dust you must return, but when the resurrection comes around again, [The next cycle of universal activity] I will raise you and all of your seed etc. This is the reality of the resurrection.

The "LOGOS=BRAHMAN," is the essential divine reality of the Universe, the eternal spirit=mind from which all being originates and to which, all must return.
The LOGOS is today as it always was, and will be into all eternity. It is the only true constant in that it is constantly evolving. Show to me a mind that has ceased to evolve, and I will show to you a mind that has ceased to exist... At the close of each period of universal activity, the Godhead or the compilation of all the minds of the Most High species to have evolved in that period, enters into Brahman or Logos, as the supreme personality of godhead (The Light Of Man=all the knowledge, wisdom and insight gathered by the body of mankind who is the most high on the ladder of evolution in the physical creation] the life or controlling personality in Brahman or Logos.

To the Hindu, it is Krishna, the eighth manifestation of "Vishnu the Saviour", who enters into Brahman at the close of this cycle of universal manifestation as the evolved mind in the eternal evolving Logos God=Brahman.

To the biblical believer, it is their indwelling Lord, [Enoch reborn as Jesus] to who is gathered all the spirits of the righteous, who will enter into the Logos as the supreme personality of Godhead, the LIGHT and Life within the eternal evolving Godhead.
uncung
Posts: 3,453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 7:06:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.

silly response, you follow Buddism because you like Buddhism. If you don't follow it you will never know what it is to follow Buddism. That is the risk. similar to never eating a food, or reading a book. Buddism does not suggest you will go to hell like other religions if you do not follow, just that you will stay in the current way of things. it is the Abrihamic religions that preach punishment as a means of recruiting people.

What a lame reason you have in following the faith ritual such Buddhism. So you follow Buddhism only to get know what Buddhism is? LOL.
If we not eat the food we will get hungry, however, if we not know and not follow Buddhism, there is no risk at all. We able to get know Buddhism from just learning without involving.
Moreover, Buddhism does not suggest us to go to hell, then what is the real risk if dont follow it?
none able to answer this modestest question.
uncung
Posts: 3,453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 7:09:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 7:54:24 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/11/2015 7:08:43 PM, uncung wrote:
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.

Believing that our God is "The Son of Man" a four dimensional being, who, according to our concept of one directional linear time, does not yet exist. The Son of Man, who is the evolving spirit within the body of mankind, will be born when the umbilical cord that binds him to the mother body is severed with the death of that body, and He will/has descended through time, where all his elect and chosen ones have received a visitation from him.

Mankind stands on the top rung of the ladder of evolution, and is currently the Most High in the creation, but only the foolish atheists would dare to believe that the process of evolution ended when mankind came into being from his animal parentage.

The spirit of mankind had developed within the body of the proto-human species that preceded him, just as the Son of Man is currently developing within the expanding and pregnant androgynous body of Eve, who will continue to live as long as there is still one human being alive.

It is my belief that Brahman and the Word=Logos, are one and the same being. And that at the close of each cycle of universal activity, the Most High to have developed within that cycle enters into Brahman=Logos, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead to have developed=evolved within that generational body of the ever evolving universe.

Brahman is a God name of Indian ancestor. There is no wrong for it, since each nation belongs to its own name of God.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:23:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 10:14:47 PM, Gentorev wrote:
Continued from post #10:

The root to the word "BRAHMAN" originally meant "SPEECH", much the same as the "LOGOS" is said to mean "WORD," but both are in fact, the gathered genetic information of every universal body throughout all eternity. Both Brahman and Logos, should be seen as the essential divine reality of the universe the eternal spirit from which all being originates, and to which all must return.

You are body, soul and spirit. Your body is made up from the universal elements, and it is activated by the universal soul, which is the animating principle that pervades the entire universal body, activating everything within the universe, from the wave particles to the subatomic particles that make up the atoms which are the building blocks of the molecules from which the universal body is created. It is to the universal soul=LIFE-FORCE that all information = SPIRIT is gathered.

"YOU" the mind, are spirit. The body in which you, [The mind] are developing as the supreme head and controller of that body, is made up of the universal elements, which is activated by the soul [Animating life force] to which all the spirit [gathered information] of all your ancestors, human and prehuman, has been gathered in the evolution of whatever was in the beginning to become who you are, and that parental spirit dwells behind the veil to the inner most sanctuary of its earthly tabernacle=tent, which is your body.

If that body in which your parental spirit dwells, were born without the sense of sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc, then no information whatsoever could be taken into the brain, and "YOU" who are spirit [Gathered information] could never have begun to develop and the living body, in which the parental spirit dwells, would soon die, never having developed a personality = "CONTROLLING GODHEAD" to that body.

Then of the Thee in Me who works behind
The veil, I lifted up my hands to find
A lamp amid the Darkness; and I heard,
As from Without__ "The Me within Thee is blind.".... By Omar Khayyam.

When the body in which you [the mind] are being formed, dies, [This is the first death] and your body: "skin, flesh, muscle, blood, bone, brain matter etc, etc," has returned to the universal elements from which it was created, all that remains, is a shadow or rather, a facsimile of YOU = the mind=spirit, that has been imprinted into the universal life force=soul, from which it will be resurrected in the next cycle of universal activity. Unless of course, the information=spirit that is "YOU" is divided from the universal life-force, which is the second death. For the spirit=information that is you, can be divided from the universal soul----------"For the word of God is alive and active, sharper than any two edged sword. It cuts all the way through to the division of the soul and spirit."
'
The term, "THE WORD OF GOD," pertains to the sense that is identical to the term "LOGOS" or the mold. The mold by which the whole sense of a thing is given. In other words, the very plan from the outset. In Sanskrit the similar meaning is given in the use of the word 'vach.' Vach means word. But in Sanskrit teachings of the Sanatana Dharma, vach has many levels. Including where the word is first considered as being in the mind as a thought, not as the spoken word or speech.

We humans, may express in our spoken words, all the information that has been gathered through the senses of our bodies in the creation of the invisible minds=spirits that are "WE". Our word is the expression of "Who we are." Your words are the spirit that is "YOU" the mind.

But the "LOGOS=WORD" and BRAHMAN=SPEECH" who are the gathered information=spirit of the aeons, express the information that has been gathered to the universal soul as another universal body, which is in the image and likeness to the previous universe, [The Resurrection] in which the eternal Spirit=mind has and can continue to evolve.

In the Pseudigraphia of the Old Testament, The Lord God says to Adam, "Dust you are and to dust you must return, but when the resurrection comes around again, [The next cycle of universal activity] I will raise you and all of your seed etc. This is the reality of the resurrection.

The "LOGOS=BRAHMAN," is the essential divine reality of the Universe, the eternal spirit=mind from which all being originates and to which, all must return.
The LOGOS is today as it always was, and will be into all eternity. It is the only true constant in that it is constantly evolving. Show to me a mind that has ceased to evolve, and I will show to you a mind that has ceased to exist... At the close of each period of universal activity, the Godhead or the compilation of all the minds of the Most High species to have evolved in that period, enters into Brahman or Logos, as the supreme personality of godhead (The Light Of Man=all the knowledge, wisdom and insight gathered by the body of mankind who is the most high on the ladder of evolution in the physical creation] the life or controlling personality in Brahman or Logos.

To the Hindu, it is Krishna, the eighth manifestation of "Vishnu the Saviour", who enters into Brahman at the close of this cycle of universal manifestation as the evolved mind in the eternal evolving Logos God=Brahman.

To the biblical believer, it is their indwelling Lord, [Enoch reborn as Jesus] to who is gathered all the spirits of the righteous, who will enter into the Logos as the supreme personality of Godhead, the LIGHT and Life within the eternal evolving Godhead.

From what i'm gathering, you're describing adviata vedanta, a school of hindu thought which is non-dualistic. Again, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. And original Buddhism didn't really have anything to concern with God, as the Buddha himself was, in a sense, agnostic.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:29:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 7:06:58 AM, uncung wrote:
what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.

silly response, you follow Buddism because you like Buddhism. If you don't follow it you will never know what it is to follow Buddism. That is the risk. similar to never eating a food, or reading a book. Buddism does not suggest you will go to hell like other religions if you do not follow, just that you will stay in the current way of things. it is the Abrihamic religions that preach punishment as a means of recruiting people.

What a lame reason you have in following the faith ritual such Buddhism. So you follow Buddhism only to get know what Buddhism is? LOL.
If we not eat the food we will get hungry, however, if we not know and not follow Buddhism, there is no risk at all. We able to get know Buddhism from just learning without involving.
Moreover, Buddhism does not suggest us to go to hell, then what is the real risk if dont follow it?
none able to answer this modestest question.

Well, buddhism says that one will suffer if they don't atleast adopt the view. Its more of a guide to end suffering that to try an claim a monopoly on the world's religion. And based on your responses, I take it you are not well acquainted with Buddhism?
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:33:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago

The difference is Hinduism suggests there are limitless ways to liberation. That fits with my views of god.

From what I read, there are five yogas one can do to reach liberation. Buddhism can sort of be classified into one of these yogas (jana of raj). And buddhists believe that nirvana is peace, and suffering come from actions that are preformed in a negative context (greed, hate, jealously, etc.).
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Posts: 341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:39:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

It says that true happiness is achieved only by eliminating one's attachment to material things. If "attachment" refers to the belief that one cannot be happy without material objects, then I think it's rational.
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
Harikrish
Posts: 11,009
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:52:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 8:38:01 PM, drpiek wrote:
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

I have studied Buddhism a decent amount. On the surface I initially found it intriguing, but after getting to know it I no longer liked it. Buddhism teaches that the world is suffering. I disagree. It teaches the path to enlightenment is detachment, I also disagree with this. In essence the message is, you suffer because you care. If you can detach and see everything as impermanent then you know the truth. The truth being that you are permanently the sum of all impermanence. The only answer for Buddhist is to reject the entire system, and that is nirvana. Of course different sects teach different aspects but this is the base.

I like the Hindu way better than the Buddhist way. But you really need to study Hinduism to understand it. Lots of metaphors.

Buddhism does not teach the world is suffering.it teaches the suffering in the world is caused by desire, the desire of material pleasure. Buddhism does not teach detachment. It teaches us that ones desires cannot be satisfied by material pleasure because they are temporary, distracting and provide an illusion of satisfaction in their indulgence. The true path is living a pure life free from an endless quest to satisfy our insatiable appetite for material pleasure. This has been borne out by many people finding emptiness after achieving great material success.
Buddhism was started as a reform movement against Hinduism because Hinduism grew too complex and was not accessible to the common man.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 12:50:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 9:52:10 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/11/2015 8:38:01 PM, drpiek wrote:
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

I have studied Buddhism a decent amount. On the surface I initially found it intriguing, but after getting to know it I no longer liked it. Buddhism teaches that the world is suffering. I disagree. It teaches the path to enlightenment is detachment, I also disagree with this. In essence the message is, you suffer because you care. If you can detach and see everything as impermanent then you know the truth. The truth being that you are permanently the sum of all impermanence. The only answer for Buddhist is to reject the entire system, and that is nirvana. Of course different sects teach different aspects but this is the base.

I like the Hindu way better than the Buddhist way. But you really need to study Hinduism to understand it. Lots of metaphors.

Buddhism does not teach the world is suffering.it teaches the suffering in the world is caused by desire, the desire of material pleasure. Buddhism does not teach detachment. It teaches us that ones desires cannot be satisfied by material pleasure because they are temporary, distracting and provide an illusion of satisfaction in their indulgence. The true path is living a pure life free from an endless quest to satisfy our insatiable appetite for material pleasure. This has been borne out by many people finding emptiness after achieving great material success.
Buddhism was started as a reform movement against Hinduism because Hinduism grew too complex and was not accessible to the common man.

Dukkha (Pāli; Sanskrit: duM17;kha; Tibetan: '42;(01;'56;'06;&51;'26;'42;'88;'39;&51; sdug bsngal, pr. "duk-ngel") is a Buddhist term commonly translated as "suffering", "anxiety", "stress", or "unsatisfactoriness".[a] The principle of dukkha is one of the most important concepts in the Buddhist tradition. The Buddha is reputed to have said: "I have taught one thing and one thing only, dukkha and the cessation of dukkha."

In essences everything (the world) causes suffering. The cause is our attachment to things. The answer is detachment. If you do not understand the importance of detachment in reaching enlightenment please just google Buddhism and detachment. It is a core concept of the religion.

Also Buddhism was not a dumbed down version of Hinduism for the common man. It has a very long history in India even before being called Buddhism. Jainism is in essence an earlier version of Buddhism. It was a outgrowth of the ascetics in india.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 12:59:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 9:33:52 AM, Pase66 wrote:

The difference is Hinduism suggests there are limitless ways to liberation. That fits with my views of god.

From what I read, there are five yogas one can do to reach liberation. Buddhism can sort of be classified into one of these yogas (jana of raj). And buddhists believe that nirvana is peace, and suffering come from actions that are preformed in a negative context (greed, hate, jealously, etc.).

Keep reading and you will find that those 5 yogas are only one set of ideas on how to reach liberation. Hinduism as a whole does not prescribe any standard path. Instead it suggests everyone walks their own.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 1:05:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 7:06:58 AM, uncung wrote:
what do you mean a rational one? How could religion be rational yet they cannot defend their belief with a rational tangible proof? Let alone buddhism cannot describe why should we follow buddhism and what is the risk if dont.

silly response, you follow Buddism because you like Buddhism. If you don't follow it you will never know what it is to follow Buddism. That is the risk. similar to never eating a food, or reading a book. Buddism does not suggest you will go to hell like other religions if you do not follow, just that you will stay in the current way of things. it is the Abrihamic religions that preach punishment as a means of recruiting people.

What a lame reason you have in following the faith ritual such Buddhism. So you follow Buddhism only to get know what Buddhism is? LOL.
If we not eat the food we will get hungry, however, if we not know and not follow Buddhism, there is no risk at all. We able to get know Buddhism from just learning without involving.
Moreover, Buddhism does not suggest us to go to hell, then what is the real risk if dont follow it?
none able to answer this modestest question.

Someone who does not understand Buddhism would suggest the risk is rebirth and not achieving enlightenment. The true Buddhist knows that everyone will achieve it in time. So no rush, Buddhism does not recruit people with threats of hellfire. Only with compassion. Feel free to look elsewhere you have an eternity to get it right.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 1:08:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 9:39:14 AM, GamrDeb8rBbrH8r wrote:
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

It says that true happiness is achieved only by eliminating one's attachment to material things. If "attachment" refers to the belief that one cannot be happy without material objects, then I think it's rational.

The unfortunate reality is Buddhism also suggests detachment as a way to look at other people but to be compassionately detached. That concept still alludes me.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 1:12:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

All man's philosophies contain knowledge that God gave them to write down. However, only God's saints are taught ALL His knowledge about the past, present and future. This means we saints don't have to write philosophical writings with partial knowledge of God mixed with perceived ideas from the visible world.

For example; A man who throws a rock at a wall may suffer a wound as the rock bounces back and hits him in the head. It's best if the man doesn't throw a rock at a wall.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 4:22:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 12:59:16 PM, drpiek wrote:
At 2/12/2015 9:33:52 AM, Pase66 wrote:

The difference is Hinduism suggests there are limitless ways to liberation. That fits with my views of god.

From what I read, there are five yogas one can do to reach liberation. Buddhism can sort of be classified into one of these yogas (jana of raj). And buddhists believe that nirvana is peace, and suffering come from actions that are preformed in a negative context (greed, hate, jealously, etc.).

Keep reading and you will find that those 5 yogas are only one set of ideas on how to reach liberation. Hinduism as a whole does not prescribe any standard path. Instead it suggests everyone walks their own.

Well, actually it talks of ways to reach liberation, or moksha. The five ways are the most basic. What makes HInduism distinctive is that it doesn't make any distinctive claim on the truth, but is more a philosophy. And, almost all the ways to attain liberation can be found in the five ways. Hatha, raja, karma, bhakti, jana (There is a great chance I misspelled more than one of those).
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 4:24:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

All man's philosophies contain knowledge that God gave them to write down. However, only God's saints are taught ALL His knowledge about the past, present and future. This means we saints don't have to write philosophical writings with partial knowledge of God mixed with perceived ideas from the visible world.

For example; A man who throws a rock at a wall may suffer a wound as the rock bounces back and hits him in the head. It's best if the man doesn't throw a rock at a wall.

I'm not looking at Buddhism in a divine way. I just want to see if it contains any general truth that is applicable to our daily lives.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 4:26:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

Buddhism does not teach the world is suffering.it teaches the suffering in the world is caused by desire, the desire of material pleasure. Buddhism does not teach detachment. It teaches us that ones desires cannot be satisfied by material pleasure because they are temporary, distracting and provide an illusion of satisfaction in their indulgence. The true path is living a pure life free from an endless quest to satisfy our insatiable appetite for material pleasure. This has been borne out by many people finding emptiness after achieving great material success.
Buddhism was started as a reform movement against Hinduism because Hinduism grew too complex and was not accessible to the common man.

Actually, later Hinduism went on to adapt many parts of Buddhism. It even incorporated The Buddha as the 9th avatar of the God Vishnu.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 4:28:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 9:39:14 AM, GamrDeb8rBbrH8r wrote:
At 2/11/2015 5:46:27 PM, Pase66 wrote:
In our modern day, first world society, is the world-view of Buddhism a rational one to hold today? I hope we can spark some interesting discussion from various viewpoints and maybe even expand the discussion.

It says that true happiness is achieved only by eliminating one's attachment to material things. If "attachment" refers to the belief that one cannot be happy without material objects, then I think it's rational.

I personally think it does. It offers a way to peace without having to submit to any god of sorts. The only thing one must do to become a Buddhist is to take refuge in the tree treasures. Still, it offers (I think) great insight into the human condition and the problems with it,
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Harikrish
Posts: 11,009
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 5:44:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Buddhism has been successful in all the East Asian countries like China, Japan, Vietnam etc. it has also gained foothold in Australia. It is the most viable worldview in a world going mad from materialism and greed.
Buddhism satisfies both the management of our base instincts and the intellectual capacity to transcend our physical boundaries without appealing to some magical man in the sky.
It is a worldview that Christians should be familiar with because Buddha's teachings preceded Jesus by some 500 years. Buddha was the country roaming teacher which Jesus tried hard to emulate . But unlike Jesus, Buddha did not make any claims of divinity.
Max.Wallace
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 6:09:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Buddha has a big fat belly that is a great buffer to the Christian/Muslim war, but his belly leads me to believe his wish is to consume us all. Duh.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,009
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 6:21:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/12/2015 6:09:27 PM, Max.Wallace wrote:
Buddha has a big fat belly that is a great buffer to the Christian/Muslim war, but his belly leads me to believe his wish is to consume us all. Duh.

You are confusing the laughing Buddha the Chinese created as a symbol of prosperity and gave it a fat belly with the spiritual leader of Buddhism.
Yours is not a very encouraging beginning. But cockroaches have been very resistance to change. Just saying.....