Jump to topic:

Mayvbe the Universe is Eternal After All

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 10:04:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A new hypothesis about the origin of the universe has been presented that could change our entire cosmology and resolve the conflicts between General Relativity and Quantum Physics. Should be intriguing to see if it works out. Thoughs?

http://inhabitat.com...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:09:27 AM
At 2/12/2015 10:04:07 AM, dhardage wrote:
A new hypothesis about the origin of the universe has been presented that could change our entire cosmology and resolve the conflicts between General Relativity and Quantum Physics. Should be intriguing to see if it works out. Thoughs?

The crux of their hypothesis:

"They theorize a new gravity particle that was present in the universe at all epochs."

We'll have to see the evidence for this new particle, that is, unless they are already referring to the graviton?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:11:41 AM
At 2/12/2015 11:09:27 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

"They theorize a new gravity particle that was present in the universe at all epochs."

We'll have to see the evidence for this new particle, that is, unless they are already referring to the graviton?

As I understand it, they are positing the universe is filled with a 'quantum fluid' that exerts a constant force and is composed of gravitons. I only read a brief summary so I could have been mistaken. And I agree, we would need to se some evidence of gravitons, other than gravity.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:13:13 AM
At 2/12/2015 11:11:41 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/12/2015 11:09:27 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

As I understand it, they are positing the universe is filled with a 'quantum fluid' that exerts a constant force and is composed of gravitons. I only read a brief summary so I could have been mistaken. And I agree, we would need to se some evidence of gravitons, other than gravity.

I didn't see a link to their paper, I would very much like to read it and see the math.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 1:05:08 PM

God can make His people believe that there is no end to the universe by providing the information to do so. He also made physicists believe that particles are real, too.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 1:23:59 PM
At 2/12/2015 1:05:08 PM, bornofgod wrote:

God can make His people believe that there is no end to the universe by providing the information to do so. He also made physicists believe that particles are real, too.

And apparently god can't get the date of the assassination of his saints right. Interesting, isn't it? All these claims about god's power, yet the only testable one turned out to be false. Even your "in a few days" comment turned out to be false.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 1:26:14 PM
At 2/12/2015 11:13:13 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
I didn't see a link to their paper, I would very much like to read it and see the math.

Pretty sure this is the paper:
http://www.sciencedirect.com...
#WarOnDDO
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 1:26:17 PM
At 2/12/2015 1:23:59 PM, SNP1 wrote:

And apparently god can't get the date of the assassination of his saints right. Interesting, isn't it? All these claims about god's power, yet the only testable one turned out to be false. Even your "in a few days" comment turned out to be false.

Paranoiac with associated delusions of grandeur. He needs to get some professional help.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 2:20:28 PM
A new hypothesis about the origin of the universe...

How can anyone base his world view to these "scientific" theories, when they are constantly changing?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 2:29:29 PM
At 2/12/2015 2:20:28 PM, 12_13 wrote:

How can anyone base his world view to these "scientific" theories, when they are constantly changing?

Because continue to study and learn so we discover things are different that we had earlier determined. That is a strength, not a weakness, that allows science to dynamic and authentic instead of poorly written tales told by semi-nomadic hunter-gatherers several thousand years ago.
Unconditional_Love
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 2:38:08 PM

I don't understand that myself sir. It seems to that with every "answer" a new set of questions are made as well. Which would imply we are not meant to understand everything nor is there a need to. our limited time here would seem better spent on living life with and loving those who we are surrounded by.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 2:53:08 PM

Scientific theories are the best explanation for the evidence that currently exists. When more evidence is presented, then we can see if there is a better explanation to the evidence or not. No, scientific theories are not known with 100% certainty, but they are the best know explanations through empiricism.
#WarOnDDO
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:00:51 PM
At 2/12/2015 2:38:08 PM, Unconditional_Love wrote:

I don't understand that myself sir. It seems to that with every "answer" a new set of questions are made as well. Which would imply we are not meant to understand everything nor is there a need to. our limited time here would seem better spent on living life with and loving those who we are surrounded by.

And that kind of thinking would have left us living in caves. If you want to stagnate, find, but a lot of us want to keep moving forward, learning all we can and passing it on for the next generation. That does not keep us from living and loving as much as any other human being.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:20:55 PM

SNP1 brought it up in the Science Forum: http://www.debate.org...

It's very interesting, and a bit exciting.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:28:33 PM

I think it's likely that it's eternal, just not in terms of space, matter, or energy, but time. I would like to see evidence of the gravity particle, though.
You can call me Mark if you like.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:29:24 PM

Weird that he would give us such compelling evidence of everything other than his existence.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:29:58 PM

Base your worldview on them until they change. Easy.
Unconditional_Love
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:33:23 PM
At 2/12/2015 3:00:51 PM, dhardage wrote:

And that kind of thinking would have left us living in caves. If you want to stagnate, find, but a lot of us want to keep moving forward, learning all we can and passing it on for the next generation. That does not keep us from living and loving as much as any other human being.

I am sure that's what will be important to you on your death bed. Just as the men who dedicated their lives to prove the big bang will think if this becomes the new popular consensus. What will they say they have left to the next generation other than they wasted their time trying to prove something that they could not. Even if this were true how would that advance us when we cannot even fix what's wrong with the world we live in what would be the point of knowing that there is now no limit to the things we cannot do anything about? It is all useless as information unless we have the ability to explore it so why put the cart before the horse.
No it does not keep you from loving or living but if your on your death bed in the example above you would probably regret chasing the wind when you could have spent that wasted time interacting with those you love. I doubt they would be thinking if only I had brought to light more information to pass on to the next generation. That is my opinion though and I respect that yours may differ I am just stating mine.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:37:28 PM
At 2/12/2015 3:33:23 PM, Unconditional_Love wrote:
At 2/12/2015 3:00:51 PM, dhardage wrote:

I am sure that's what will be important to you on your death bed. Just as the men who dedicated their lives to prove the big bang will think if this becomes the new popular consensus. What will they say they have left to the next generation other than they wasted their time trying to prove something that they could not. Even if this were true how would that advance us when we cannot even fix what's wrong with the world we live in what would be the point of knowing that there is now no limit to the things we cannot do anything about? It is all useless as information unless we have the ability to explore it so why put the cart before the horse.
No it does not keep you from loving or living but if your on your death bed in the example above you would probably regret chasing the wind when you could have spent that wasted time interacting with those you love. I doubt they would be thinking if only I had brought to light more information to pass on to the next generation. That is my opinion though and I respect that yours may differ I am just stating mine.

If I have made a single life better by my presence then I will not have wasted or in any way regretted my life. That's my sole hope for after I am gone, to be fondly remembered by someone who was happier for my existence.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 3:45:56 PM

That's what the dinosaurs did, while the incoming celestial bodies were screaming toward earth, they spent their time living life, looking for their next food source, and their next sexual encounter, just before they were wiped out.

Hopefully, mankind will be able to predict if there is anything out there which is on a collision course with earth, and with our technology somehow divert its course, and if all else fails, perhaps we can created a genetic bank of every known plant and animal species, and with a few scientific minds, send them to a place, from where, after the surface of this planet has been incinerated, and the earth is once again capable of supporting life, they can return and the earth can then be repopulated.

"Under the guidance of Jupiter (Planet) man prepares, by means of religious exercises, for the journey to the life beyond (the human existence) and he attains rest under the influence of Saturn." (Basra Encyclopaedia), --- De Boer, Philosophy in Islam, p, 88.

"The world being melted and re-entered into the bosom of Jupiter, this God continues for some time totally concentered in himself: . . . afterwards we see a new world spring from him, perfect in all its parts; animals are produced anew; an innocent race of man is formed under more favourable auspices, in order to people this earth." " Seneca, Epist, 9, and Qucest. Nat. L. 3, c, ult.

Our scientists will one day prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the religious bodies of the ancients were correct in believing in an eternal evolving universe.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 4:57:17 PM
At 2/12/2015 1:26:14 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Wow, those guys have done some interesting math. They claim by having changed the classical geodesics of spacetime with a set of quantum geodesics (specified Planck length), which apparently provides for all other requirements for all of the properties of the graviton and answers the dark matter and dark energy questions, then predicts a infinite universe as a result of not requiring a singularity as well as crafting a cosmological constant.

Wow. This is one of those Theory of Everything kind of papers. Should come under a lot of scrutiny. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 5:05:18 PM

Please provide citations as to what theories have constantly changed? I suspect your claim is quite false.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 5:15:54 PM

So much wrong with so few words.

First, You say you don't understand how science works. Does that mean you want to understand or you don't want to understand?

If you sincerely do want to understand, there are some very good explanations I can offer.

Then, you say new questions arise from answers. Why would you think that is a problem, it is a very good thing. It means that scientists obviously found some answers and have moved on to answering more questions. Again, this is how science works and this is how we learn things.

Moving on, you say that somehow this implies we shouldn't bother learning things because we should spend more time living life. This makes absolutely no sense at all. People who learn things also have a life, families and friends, just like you. They are not robots or some other mindless drones.

So, rather than talking about things you don't understand, why not ask questions about what you don't understand. There are answers there for you if you're honest and sincere to hear them.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 8:40:30 PM

God is the only one who knows when His prophets and saints are killed along with everyone else that He kills in His program called Eternal Life.

It wasn't God that was wrong. He apparently doesn't want me to know when I'll be killed.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 8:43:49 PM
At 2/12/2015 3:29:24 PM, debate_power wrote:

Weird that he would give us such compelling evidence of everything other than his existence.

Our Creator is invisible to His creation. He hasn't taught any of us saints who He is or if He has a body of some sort sitting at a desk playing with His latest computer technology. I know that He didn't use any hands to make our flesh and the other objects of this universe. They're only illusions that come from processed information.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:40:14 PM
At 2/12/2015 8:40:30 PM, bornofgod wrote:

God is the only one who knows when His prophets and saints are killed along with everyone else that He kills in His program called Eternal Life.

It wasn't God that was wrong. He apparently doesn't want me to know when I'll be killed.

You are the one that said god revealed it to you, so did god lie or is god an idiot?
#WarOnDDO
Unconditional_Love
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 11:45:33 PM
At 2/12/2015 5:15:54 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

So much wrong with so few words.

First, You say you don't understand how science works. Does that mean you want to understand or you don't want to understand?

I never said I didn't understand science

If you sincerely do want to understand, there are some very good explanations I can offer.

No thank you. If I needed understanding I would not call upon you.

Then, you say new questions arise from answers. Why would you think that is a problem, it is a very good thing. It means that scientists obviously found some answers and have moved on to answering more questions. Again, this is how science works and this is how we learn things.

generally it would not pose a problem unless you are trying to explain the beginning of everything. Then if an answer arrives with more questions attached to it you obviously have not answered the beginning.

Moving on, you say that somehow this implies we shouldn't bother learning things because we should spend more time living life. This makes absolutely no sense at all. People who learn things also have a life, families and friends, just like you. They are not robots or some other mindless drones.

where did i say we shouldnt learn things. I said we weren't meant to know everything. You sure like to put word in my mouth. I said I think our time would be well spent focusing on the needs of others around us Instead of trying to break every single thing down to something you can slap a name or theory on . When you create something out of nothing then your science will have impressed me.
So, rather than talking about things you don't understand, why not ask questions about what you don't understand. There are answers there for you if you're honest and sincere to hear them.
Maybe you should take your own advice? I have more than I could ever need in this life already it is those who are lacking in life that seek to have more of this and that to make their existence mean something. I have found my meaning therfore I have no need for your understanding.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 12:45:39 AM
At 2/12/2015 3:20:55 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

SNP1 brought it up in the Science Forum: http://www.debate.org...

It's very interesting, and a bit exciting.

I find the religious belief of a universe that eternally oscillates between visible matter and invisible energy, which had been held for thousands of years, which our scientific minds of today are just beginning to come to terms with, to be very interesting, and much more than a bit exciting.

Universe after universe is like an interminable succession of wheels forever coming into view, forever rolln ing onwards, disappearing and reappearing; forever passing from being to non being, and again from non being to being. In short, the constant revolving of the wheel of life in one eternal cycle, according to fixed and immutable laws, is perhaps after all the sum and substance of the philosophy of Buddhism. And this eternal wheel has so to speak, six spokes representing six forms of existence." ---- Mon. Williams, Buddhism, pp. 229, 122.

The days and nights of Brahma are called Manvantara or the cycle of manifestation, "The Great Day," which is a period of universal activity, that is preceded, and also followed by "Pralaya," a dark period, which to our finite minds seems as an eternity. "Manvantara," is a creative day as seen in the six days of creation in Genesis, "Pralaya," is the evening that proceeds the next creative day. The six periods of Creation and the seventh day of rest in which we now exist are referred to in the book of Genesis as the generations of the universe.

The English word "Generation," is translated from the Hebrew "toledoth" which is used in the Old Testament in every instance as "births," or "descendants," such as "These are the generations of Adam," or "these are the generations of Abraham, and Genesis 2: 4; These are the generations of the Universe or the heavens and earth, etc. And the "Great Day" in which the seven generations of the universe are eternally repeated, is the eternal cosmic period, or the eighth eternal day in which those who attain to perfection are allowed to enter, where they shall be surrounded by great light and they shall experience eternal peace, while those who do not attain to perfection are cast back into the refining fires of the seven physical cycles that perpetually revolve within the eighth eternal cosmic cycle.

A series of worlds following one upon the other,-- each world rising a step higher than the previous world, so that every later world brings to ripeness the seeds that were imbedded in the former, and itself then prepares the seed for the universe that will follow it. Every universe from all eternity, from the smallest to the greatest, which have been created throughout the aeons of eternity, still exist in their independent Space-Time positions within the eternal and boundless cosmos.

The New international Version, the Scofield Referrence Bible, and the Companion Bible, all note that the phase in Genesis 1: 2; The earth was formless and void (Having neither shape or mass) should be correctly translated, "The earth became without form and void." The Hebrew word "Hayah" translated "was," means "To become, occur, come to pass, Be." (Vines Complete Expository of Old and New Testament Words, 1985. "To Be.")
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 6:25:41 AM
At 2/12/2015 1:26:14 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Fascinating article. Thank you.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 8:08:16 AM
At 2/12/2015 11:40:14 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/12/2015 8:40:30 PM, bornofgod wrote:

You are the one that said god revealed it to you, so did god lie or is god an idiot?

God did not tell me the exact date that I would be killed. He guided me to the prophecy in Revelation 11. Now go tell the rest the world that God isn't the one who is wrong.