Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Religion is society worshiping itself...

jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300"1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bulproof
Posts: 25,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300"1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 8:24:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300"1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

Only God can explain why He made religion during this first age. It won't exist in the next age when we awaken in our new bodies.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300-1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.

What amazes me is that modern religions are all relatively new when you consider that the Paleolithic religions span from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, people fail to recognize that if "God" wanted to be known that he could have done so much sooner than Abraham and the days of burning bushes. Which didn't happen until closer to the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC). Humans were obviously receptive to the idea of a deity much sooner. This is just further proof that religion is just an ancient societal norm that the ignorant cling to.

Religion in my opinion is truly "society worshiping itself".
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 8:47:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300-1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.

What amazes me is that modern religions are all relatively new when you consider that the Paleolithic religions span from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, people fail to recognize that if "God" wanted to be known that he could have done so much sooner than Abraham and the days of burning bushes. Which didn't happen until closer to the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC). Humans were obviously receptive to the idea of a deity much sooner. This is just further proof that religion is just an ancient societal norm that the ignorant cling to.

Religion in my opinion is truly "society worshiping itself".

All religions, languages, mathematics, sciences, etc. came from God's plan called the beast. It makes no difference when this plan took effect but it is working exactly as planned.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 8:53:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 8:47:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300-1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.

What amazes me is that modern religions are all relatively new when you consider that the Paleolithic religions span from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, people fail to recognize that if "God" wanted to be known that he could have done so much sooner than Abraham and the days of burning bushes. Which didn't happen until closer to the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC). Humans were obviously receptive to the idea of a deity much sooner. This is just further proof that religion is just an ancient societal norm that the ignorant cling to.

Religion in my opinion is truly "society worshiping itself".

All religions, languages, mathematics, sciences, etc. came from God's plan called the beast. It makes no difference when this plan took effect but it is working exactly as planned.

Well, it seems like waste if you ask me. You say we won't remember any of it anyway. We might as well "read porn and drink lemonade." :P
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 9:24:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 8:53:56 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:47:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300-1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.

What amazes me is that modern religions are all relatively new when you consider that the Paleolithic religions span from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, people fail to recognize that if "God" wanted to be known that he could have done so much sooner than Abraham and the days of burning bushes. Which didn't happen until closer to the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC). Humans were obviously receptive to the idea of a deity much sooner. This is just further proof that religion is just an ancient societal norm that the ignorant cling to.

Religion in my opinion is truly "society worshiping itself".

All religions, languages, mathematics, sciences, etc. came from God's plan called the beast. It makes no difference when this plan took effect but it is working exactly as planned.

Well, it seems like waste if you ask me. You say we won't remember any of it anyway. We might as well "read porn and drink lemonade." :P

If God planned for you to read porn and drink lemonade, then you will do as He commanded you to do.

If you're familiar with a computer simulation program called, "The Sims", you will learn that the Sims characters cannot do anything unless they have the information to do whatever the computer programmer planned for them to do. The Sims characters don't have the ability to know they exist because computer binary code is very primitive and a limited form of language that can't be processed into information to make the characters feel like they're real.

However, God's language of vibrations give God ( Master Programmer ) the ability to make an infinite amount of images and give some of those images ( characters called people and beasts ) the feeling of being real with the five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch along with their emotions, etc. All these senses are built with information ( vibrations ) to give each created character the sense of being real.

Not many people have the knowledge to know that we're living in a virtual reality but there are people who are talking about this on videos and in books. We saints get taught this knowledge directly from the Creator who put this virtual reality together. We're not taught exactly how He created all these vibrations ( His language ) to form all these images that each created character gets to experience but we know they exist now because quantum physicists found them through mathematics.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 9:26:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 9:24:16 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:53:56 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:47:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300-1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.

What amazes me is that modern religions are all relatively new when you consider that the Paleolithic religions span from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, people fail to recognize that if "God" wanted to be known that he could have done so much sooner than Abraham and the days of burning bushes. Which didn't happen until closer to the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC). Humans were obviously receptive to the idea of a deity much sooner. This is just further proof that religion is just an ancient societal norm that the ignorant cling to.

Religion in my opinion is truly "society worshiping itself".

All religions, languages, mathematics, sciences, etc. came from God's plan called the beast. It makes no difference when this plan took effect but it is working exactly as planned.

Well, it seems like waste if you ask me. You say we won't remember any of it anyway. We might as well "read porn and drink lemonade." :P

If God planned for you to read porn and drink lemonade, then you will do as He commanded you to do.

If you're familiar with a computer simulation program called, "The Sims", you will learn that the Sims characters cannot do anything unless they have the information to do whatever the computer programmer planned for them to do. The Sims characters don't have the ability to know they exist because computer binary code is very primitive and a limited form of language that can't be processed into information to make the characters feel like they're real.

However, God's language of vibrations give God ( Master Programmer ) the ability to make an infinite amount of images and give some of those images ( characters called people and beasts ) the feeling of being real with the five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch along with their emotions, etc. All these senses are built with information ( vibrations ) to give each created character the sense of being real.

Not many people have the knowledge to know that we're living in a virtual reality but there are people who are talking about this on videos and in books. We saints get taught this knowledge directly from the Creator who put this virtual reality together. We're not taught exactly how He created all these vibrations ( His language ) to form all these images that each created character gets to experience but we know they exist now because quantum physicists found them through mathematics.

I was born on All Saints Day. Does that mean I'm a saint too? :)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 9:27:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 9:26:20 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 9:24:16 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:53:56 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:47:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300-1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.

What amazes me is that modern religions are all relatively new when you consider that the Paleolithic religions span from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, people fail to recognize that if "God" wanted to be known that he could have done so much sooner than Abraham and the days of burning bushes. Which didn't happen until closer to the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC). Humans were obviously receptive to the idea of a deity much sooner. This is just further proof that religion is just an ancient societal norm that the ignorant cling to.

Religion in my opinion is truly "society worshiping itself".

All religions, languages, mathematics, sciences, etc. came from God's plan called the beast. It makes no difference when this plan took effect but it is working exactly as planned.

Well, it seems like waste if you ask me. You say we won't remember any of it anyway. We might as well "read porn and drink lemonade." :P

If God planned for you to read porn and drink lemonade, then you will do as He commanded you to do.

If you're familiar with a computer simulation program called, "The Sims", you will learn that the Sims characters cannot do anything unless they have the information to do whatever the computer programmer planned for them to do. The Sims characters don't have the ability to know they exist because computer binary code is very primitive and a limited form of language that can't be processed into information to make the characters feel like they're real.

However, God's language of vibrations give God ( Master Programmer ) the ability to make an infinite amount of images and give some of those images ( characters called people and beasts ) the feeling of being real with the five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch along with their emotions, etc. All these senses are built with information ( vibrations ) to give each created character the sense of being real.

Not many people have the knowledge to know that we're living in a virtual reality but there are people who are talking about this on videos and in books. We saints get taught this knowledge directly from the Creator who put this virtual reality together. We're not taught exactly how He created all these vibrations ( His language ) to form all these images that each created character gets to experience but we know they exist now because quantum physicists found them through mathematics.

I was born on All Saints Day. Does that mean I'm a saint too? :)

LOL !!!!!!!!! I would love to meet you in person. I have several friends who have great personalities like you have.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 9:29:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 9:27:46 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 9:26:20 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 9:24:16 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:53:56 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:47:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

According to Clifford Geertz, an Anthropologist (mid 1900s), religion is "(1) a system of symbols which acts to (2) establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by (3) formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and (4) clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that (5) the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic"

Anthropologist, Anthony F.C. Wallace proposes 4 categories of religion...

1) Individualistic: most basic; simplest. Example: vision quest.
2) Shamanistic: part-time religious practitioner, uses religion to heal, to divine, usually on the behalf of a client. Examples of shamans: spiritualists, faith healers, palm readers.
3) Communal: elaborate set of beliefs and practices; group of people arranged in clans by lineage, age group, or some religious societies; people take on roles based on knowledge, and ancestral worship.
4) Ecclesiastical: dominant in agricultural societies and states; are centrally organized and hierarchical in structure, paralleling the organization of states.

--The Prehistoric Origins of Religion--
Prehistoric religion encompasses the following periods.

Paleolithic religion - spans the period from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. Intentional burial, particularly with grave goods, showing concern for the dead. Evidence suggests that they possibly practiced excarnation. Archeologists propose that Middle Paleolithic societies may also have practiced the earliest form of animal worship in addition to their (presumably religious) burial of the dead.
Mesolithic religion - has different time spans in different parts of Eurasia, but lasted from about 20,000 to 5,000 BC. During this era lifestyles may have led to a more elaborate cosmology and ritualism. Vikings were supernaturalists with a complex plethora of gods and religious myths. Norse mythology was a complete supernatural belief system. The Vikings believed in the supernatural powers of Thor and other deities.
Neolithic religion - from about 8000"3000 BC there is great indication of religious concepts, cults, and rituals of the early farming communities. Religion was confined to a fertility cult and the worship of a supreme goddess (Magna Mater, Mother Earth, etc.). Circular Enclosures built in Central Europe around 5000 BC aligned with sunset and/or sunrise at the solstices.
Bronze Age religion - spans from approximately 3300-1200 BC (in some areas 600 BC) ushered in the end of the Mother Goddess and the birth of the Patriarchal God. It is in this era that the God of Abraham originated as one of the Patriarchal Gods.

--The Sociology and Psychology behind Religion?--

My question here is about the sociological and psychological reasons behind modern religion as it relates to our society and our prehistoric religious past.

1) With a universe of information at our fingertips, why do so many people continue to worship deities and subscribe to archaic religious rites?

2) Are we truly a society worshiping itself?

No!
We are people, like our cavemen ancestors, who are disturbed and afraid of death. Because we possess a capacity for imagination, we construct an existence that allows us to defeat this fear of death.
An afterlife allows us to accept the death of our children, especially, because it gives us the "comfort" of believing that we will meet them again.
We are a gregarious familial species with an intellect and imagination that makes it all possible. Well, back when we lived in caves and had no real knowledge. The cavemen of today are still killing each other because their god told them to.

What amazes me is that modern religions are all relatively new when you consider that the Paleolithic religions span from 300,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, people fail to recognize that if "God" wanted to be known that he could have done so much sooner than Abraham and the days of burning bushes. Which didn't happen until closer to the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BC). Humans were obviously receptive to the idea of a deity much sooner. This is just further proof that religion is just an ancient societal norm that the ignorant cling to.

Religion in my opinion is truly "society worshiping itself".

All religions, languages, mathematics, sciences, etc. came from God's plan called the beast. It makes no difference when this plan took effect but it is working exactly as planned.

Well, it seems like waste if you ask me. You say we won't remember any of it anyway. We might as well "read porn and drink lemonade." :P

If God planned for you to read porn and drink lemonade, then you will do as He commanded you to do.

If you're familiar with a computer simulation program called, "The Sims", you will learn that the Sims characters cannot do anything unless they have the information to do whatever the computer programmer planned for them to do. The Sims characters don't have the ability to know they exist because computer binary code is very primitive and a limited form of language that can't be processed into information to make the characters feel like they're real.

However, God's language of vibrations give God ( Master Programmer ) the ability to make an infinite amount of images and give some of those images ( characters called people and beasts ) the feeling of being real with the five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch along with their emotions, etc. All these senses are built with information ( vibrations ) to give each created character the sense of being real.

Not many people have the knowledge to know that we're living in a virtual reality but there are people who are talking about this on videos and in books. We saints get taught this knowledge directly from the Creator who put this virtual reality together. We're not taught exactly how He created all these vibrations ( His language ) to form all these images that each created character gets to experience but we know they exist now because quantum physicists found them through mathematics.

I was born on All Saints Day. Does that mean I'm a saint too? :)

LOL !!!!!!!!! I would love to meet you in person. I have several friends who have great personalities like you have.

If I ever make it to California I'll look for you.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 9:32:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/13/2015 9:29:12 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 9:27:46 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 9:26:20 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 9:24:16 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:53:56 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:47:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:26:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 2/13/2015 8:10:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/13/2015 7:57:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Consider this title carefully: "Religion is society worshiping itself" - Religious Anthropologist and Sociologist, Emile Durkheim (1912). Understanding the origin of religion is imperative to maintaining a healthy outlook on personal and social religious practices.

--The Anthropology of Religion--
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org... )

Well, it seems like waste if you ask me. You say we won't remember any of it anyway. We might as well "read porn and drink lemonade." :P

If God planned for you to read porn and drink lemonade, then you will do as He commanded you to do.

If you're familiar with a computer simulation program called, "The Sims", you will learn that the Sims characters cannot do anything unless they have the information to do whatever the computer programmer planned for them to do. The Sims characters don't have the ability to know they exist because computer binary code is very primitive and a limited form of language that can't be processed into information to make the characters feel like they're real.

However, God's language of vibrations give God ( Master Programmer ) the ability to make an infinite amount of images and give some of those images ( characters called people and beasts ) the feeling of being real with the five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch along with their emotions, etc. All these senses are built with information ( vibrations ) to give each created character the sense of being real.

Not many people have the knowledge to know that we're living in a virtual reality but there are people who are talking about this on videos and in books. We saints get taught this knowledge directly from the Creator who put this virtual reality together. We're not taught exactly how He created all these vibrations ( His language ) to form all these images that each created character gets to experience but we know they exist now because quantum physicists found them through mathematics.

I was born on All Saints Day. Does that mean I'm a saint too? :)

LOL !!!!!!!!! I would love to meet you in person. I have several friends who have great personalities like you have.

Where are you living now?