Jump to topic:

Ask a Nonbeliever.

Dagolas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 10:57:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm a non believer too. Do you think that something only exists when someone belives it is true? For example, since a majority of people on earth believe in the Christian God, does that not make them right somewhere, and us contrarians?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 11:01:50 AM
At 2/15/2015 10:57:20 AM, Dagolas wrote:
I'm a non believer too. Do you think that something only exists when someone belives it is true? For example, since a majority of people on earth believe in the Christian God, does that not make them right somewhere, and us contrarians?

Just because a lot of people believe in a deity doesn't mean one actually exists, as there is no evidence to support its existence.
IceCreamforBreakfast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 11:05:07 AM

I don't see how a person's mere perception of a thing could directly influence it in any way......
Dagolas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 11:05:33 AM
At 2/15/2015 11:01:50 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Just because a lot of people believe in a deity doesn't mean one actually exists, as there is no evidence to support its existence.

No, but everyone believes iron is a metal. If one person belives iron is a type of indian samosa, he's wrong. So clearly something is true if a majority of people believe it, since even one exception to it would invalidate "scientific fact"
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 11:32:07 AM
At 2/15/2015 11:05:33 AM, Dagolas wrote:

No, but everyone believes iron is a metal. If one person belives iron is a type of indian samosa, he's wrong. So clearly something is true if a majority of people believe it, since even one exception to it would invalidate "scientific fact"

That's called semantics. Iron is a type of metal because that is how it is defined. When communicating with others, words are merely a tool used to convey concepts from one person to another. The concept is what is important and what should be focused on. That's why there is such a heavy emphasis in these discussions on definitions. When someone says God is real my first question is always "what are you calling God?". If you're not used to these discussions you'd be surprised how many different answers you might get, but you can't begin to have a conversation about it until this question is clearly answered.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 11:42:47 AM
What exactly do you not believe in? What are some things you DO believe in?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
IceCreamforBreakfast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 11:57:18 AM
At 2/15/2015 11:42:47 AM, philochristos wrote:
What exactly do you not believe in? What are some things you DO believe in?

I do not associate myself with any major religions. I tend to not believe in things in general.
Atheism_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 12:53:16 PM
At 2/15/2015 11:32:07 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/15/2015 11:05:33 AM, Dagolas wrote:

That's called semantics. Iron is a type of metal because that is how it is defined. When communicating with others, words are merely a tool used to convey concepts from one person to another. The concept is what is important and what should be focused on. That's why there is such a heavy emphasis in these discussions on definitions. When someone says God is real my first question is always "what are you calling God?". If you're not used to these discussions you'd be surprised how many different answers you might get, but you can't begin to have a conversation about it until this question is clearly answered.
Very true