Jump to topic:

If no eternal life, would you believe?

NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 1:33:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As an atheist, I'm very convinced that why most people believe these religious claims is that they provide an escape from our fear of our own death. There is much psychological literature that makes it clear, people believe things they wish were true. Clearly we would wish not to die. Death scares us. So lets say, whatever religion you believe, all of it were to remain true, accept for the after life portion. That isn't something that can be true, for the sake of argument. Would you still believe, if when you died, you just simply died and that was it?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:43:18 PM
At 2/15/2015 1:33:46 PM, NoMagic wrote:

As an atheist, I'm very convinced that why most people believe these religious claims is that they provide an escape from our fear of our own death. There is much psychological literature that makes it clear, people believe things they wish were true. Clearly we would wish not to die. Death scares us. So lets say, whatever religion you believe, all of it were to remain true, accept for the after life portion. That isn't something that can be true, for the sake of argument.

We all die, whether you become a Christian or not. Anyone who becomes a Christian out of fear of death still dies. How does that save one from the fear of death?

Lets look at it logically.

History is full of Christians whose Christianity caused them to die. They became Christian and remained Christian even though they could have lived by renouncing their belief. How does that jive with the claim in the OP?

Christians worship a man who claimed that He came to Earth with the expressed purpose to die! Would that doctrine attract people living in fear of death? Would such people follow a man seeking death?

Christian doctrine calls Christians to die, to voluntarily give up their lives. Is that not exactly what people fearing death wish to avoid?

No, I don't think the central claim of the OP makes sense.

Would you still believe, if when you died, you just simply died and that was it?

I would still love and worship Jesus. He is more than worthy of my love and worship. He owes me nothing except an unceremonious fling push Hell. I would want it on record that I acknowledged His right-ness and my wrong-ness, that His treatment of me was always better than I deserved.

Truth is its own reward.
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 8:24:42 PM
At 2/23/2015 12:43:18 PM, ethang5 wrote:

As an atheist, I'm very convinced that why most people believe these religious claims is that they provide an escape from our fear of our own death. There is much psychological literature that makes it clear, people believe things they wish were true. Clearly we would wish not to die. Death scares us. So lets say, whatever religion you believe, all of it were to remain true, accept for the after life portion. That isn't something that can be true, for the sake of argument.

We all die, whether you become a Christian or not. Anyone who becomes a Christian out of fear of death still dies. How does that save one from the fear of death?

History is full of Christians whose Christianity caused them to die. They became Christian and remained Christian even though they could have lived by renouncing their belief. How does that jive with the claim in the OP?

Christians worship a man who claimed that He came to Earth with the expressed purpose to die! Would that doctrine attract people living in fear of death? Would such people follow a man seeking death?

Christian doctrine calls Christians to die, to voluntarily give up their lives. Is that not exactly what people fearing death wish to avoid?

Would you still believe, if when you died, you just simply died and that was it?

I would still love and worship Jesus. He is more than worthy of my love and worship. He owes me nothing except an unceremonious fling push Hell. I would want it on record that I acknowledged His right-ness and my wrong-ness, that His treatment of me was always better than I deserved.

Truth is its own reward.
Christianity has an afterlife. The Christian belief is that you get to keep living in another realm. I don't consider that an actual death perspective. That is an avoidance of death perspective as far as I'm concerned. Humans clearly have a natural fear of death. I'm fairly convinced that this fear of death plays a large part in why people are attracted to religions that market an afterlife. I can't but help wonder if this wasn't a part of the belief system, how many people would be attracted to it. I'm pretty sure significantly less.
I agree with you that truth is it's own reward. Truth is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. How do you go about determining what is true? How did you determine Christianity is true?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 9:09:14 PM
At 2/23/2015 12:43:18 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Truth is its own reward.

What would he have done to deserve your love and worship?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 12:57:14 AM
the right assertion supposed to be is:
would you still worship God if there is no after life, the answer is why on earth would we do that if there will be no reward for our worshiping?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 1:00:56 AM
At 2/24/2015 12:57:14 AM, uncung wrote:
the right assertion supposed to be is:
would you still worship God if there is no after life, the answer is why on earth would we do that if there will be no reward for our worshiping?

Woohoo, someone worked it out, well done.
What does that now to for your belief?
Since there is not a scrap of evidence to support the existence of an afterlife.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:01:28 AM
As an atheist, I'm very convinced that why most people believe these religious claims is that they provide an escape from our fear of our own death. There is much psychological literature that makes it clear, people believe things they wish were true. Clearly we would wish not to die. Death scares us. So lets say, whatever religion you believe, all of it were to remain true, accept for the after life portion. That isn't something that can be true, for the sake of argument. Would you still believe, if when you died, you just simply died and that was it?

No one will remember living in this first age anyway so it doesn't really matter if you know the Truth or not.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:04:51 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:01:28 AM, bornofgod wrote:

No one will remember living in this first age anyway so it doesn't really matter if you know the Truth or not.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.

Okay, your predictions failed. Don't you think that there is a slight possibility that that means you are not hearing god but are mentally unstable? Seek medical attention.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:11:21 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:04:51 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Isaiah 65

Okay, your predictions failed. Don't you think that there is a slight possibility that that means you are not hearing god but are mentally unstable? Seek medical attention.

My predictions have not failed at all. I will be killed for testifying to the Word of God after I have witnessed for our Creator for 42 months. The drought that is happening in Campbell, California for the past four years is part of this same prophecy.

3: And I will grant my two witnesses power to prophesy for one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth."
4: These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands which stand before the Lord of the earth.
5: And if any one would harm them, fire pours out from their mouth and consumes their foes; if any one would harm them, thus he is doomed to be killed.
6: They have power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to smite the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.
7: And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that ascends from the bottomless pit will make war upon them and conquer them and kill them,

It won't be long before the 1,000 year reign of Christ is over and the last day of this age is experienced by all the dead of this world.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:12:14 AM

Isaiah 65

My predictions have not failed at all. I will be killed for testifying to the Word of God after I have witnessed for our Creator for 42 months. The drought that is happening in Campbell, California for the past four years is part of this same prophecy.

3: And I will grant my two witnesses power to prophesy for one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth."
4: These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands which stand before the Lord of the earth.
5: And if any one would harm them, fire pours out from their mouth and consumes their foes; if any one would harm them, thus he is doomed to be killed.
6: They have power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to smite the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.
7: And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that ascends from the bottomless pit will make war upon them and conquer them and kill them,

It won't be long before the 1,000 year reign of Christ is over and the last day of this age is experienced by all the dead of this world.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:15:13 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:11:21 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Isaiah 65

You were supposed to be killed last month according to your prophecies. Get medical attention.
#WarOnDDO
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:17:47 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:15:13 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 2/24/2015 2:11:21 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Isaiah 65

You were supposed to be killed last month according to your prophecies. Get medical attention.

If I was supposed to be killed last month, I wouldn't be here typing this post. I will be killed on the exact day that our Creator planned it. He never told me the exact date. All He showed me was the prophecy.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:20:26 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:17:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:
If I was supposed to be killed last month, I wouldn't be here typing this post. I will be killed on the exact day that our Creator planned it. He never told me the exact date. All He showed me was the prophecy.

You are a schizophrenic. You are not hearing god. Your prophecy is not a real prophecy. You kept preaching for months that you would die in January 2015. A lot of people thought that your prophecy not coming true would be the wake up call you needed to finally go seek medical attention, but they were wrong. You are just trying to justify your views. What you need is to see a doctor.
#WarOnDDO
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:26:23 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:20:26 AM, SNP1 wrote:

You are a schizophrenic. You are not hearing god. Your prophecy is not a real prophecy. You kept preaching for months that you would die in January 2015. A lot of people thought that your prophecy not coming true would be the wake up call you needed to finally go seek medical attention, but they were wrong. You are just trying to justify your views. What you need is to see a doctor.

I did NOT die by January 24th, 2015 you fool. I never knew the exact date that I was to be killed because God never told me. All He did was guide me to this prophecy to let me know the timing of when I'll be killed. Not until after I have witnessed for Him for 42 months, I will be killed. I thought it meant that I would be killed 42 months from the day I started showing my whiteboard in public with a message I wrote on it. I started doing this on July 24th, 2011. 42 months from this date is January 24th, 2015 but it was NOT the exact date of when I would be killed. If it was the exact date, then our Creator would have told me that.

How many times do I have to tell this same story to you fools who DO NOT LISTEN to the voice of our Creator?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:27:54 AM
Since there is not a scrap of evidence to support the existence of an afterlife.

If you want that proof contact me on my inbox.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:37:03 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:26:23 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I did NOT die by January 24th, 2015 you fool. I never knew the exact date that I was to be killed because God never told me. All He did was guide me to this prophecy to let me know the timing of when I'll be killed. Not until after I have witnessed for Him for 42 months, I will be killed. I thought it meant that I would be killed 42 months from the day I started showing my whiteboard in public with a message I wrote on it. I started doing this on July 24th, 2011. 42 months from this date is January 24th, 2015 but it was NOT the exact date of when I would be killed. If it was the exact date, then our Creator would have told me that.

How many times do I have to tell this same story to you fools who DO NOT LISTEN to the voice of our Creator?

How about you shut up and listen for once? You are not hearing god, you need medical attention. You saying that the prophecy wasn't completely accurate is post hoc justification for a failed prophecy, especially when you then said you would be killed within a few days (been a month since then).

Seek medical help. You are not hearing the voice of "the creator". You have schizophrenia.
#WarOnDDO
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:38:00 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:27:54 AM, uncung wrote:

There is NO proof that there is an afterlife after the death of the flesh in this world. But there are plenty of prophecies that were written by God's prophets that Jacob and a remnant of Israel will be saved from this world.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:46:22 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:37:03 AM, SNP1 wrote:

How about you shut up and listen for once? You are not hearing god, you need medical attention. You saying that the prophecy wasn't completely accurate is post hoc justification for a failed prophecy, especially when you then said you would be killed within a few days (been a month since then).

Seek medical help. You are not hearing the voice of "the creator". You have schizophrenia.

I never said the prophecy wasn't completely accurate. The prophecy that I was guided to was written by one of God's saints close to 2,000 years ago. I'm God's last saint who has testified to the same knowledge of God that His other saints testified to but none of us get the exact date of our deaths for testifying for Him. All He does is guide us to the prophecies about the timing of our deaths. We learn that we will testify to the Word of God for 42 months, then we'll be killed.

You fools do NOT listen to the voice of the Lord and believe Him. You always find excuses NOT to believe in Him and His plan for us all.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:56:25 AM

No one is listening to your sick delusions, GET HELP!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:00:27 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:56:25 AM, JJ50 wrote:

No one is listening to your sick delusions, GET HELP!

Antichrists weren't made by God to listen to us saints. They were made to complain and reject our testimonies.

Jeremiah 6
10: To whom shall I speak and give warning, that they may hear? Behold, their ears are closed, they cannot listen; behold, the word of the LORD is to them an object of scorn, they take no pleasure in it.

John 15
18: "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.
19: If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
25: It is to fulfil the word that is written in their law, `They hated me without a cause.

Psalm 21
8:Your hand will find out all your enemies; your right hand will find out those who hate you.

Psalm 41
5: My enemies say of me in malice: "When will he die, and his name perish?"
6: And when one comes to see me, he utters empty words, while his heart gathers mischief; when he goes out, he tells it abroad.
7: All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:10:47 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:46:22 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I never said the prophecy wasn't completely accurate. The prophecy that I was guided to was written by one of God's saints close to 2,000 years ago. I'm God's last saint who has testified to the same knowledge of God that His other saints testified to but none of us get the exact date of our deaths for testifying for Him. All He does is guide us to the prophecies about the timing of our deaths. We learn that we will testify to the Word of God for 42 months, then we'll be killed.

You fools do NOT listen to the voice of the Lord and believe Him. You always find excuses NOT to believe in Him and His plan for us all.

You are currently on 43 months (exactly). The accuracy of that prophecy seems like crap.
#WarOnDDO
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:16:36 AM
At 2/24/2015 3:10:47 AM, SNP1 wrote:

You are currently on 43 months (exactly). The accuracy of that prophecy seems like crap.

I'm far from witnessing 42 months. I've taken many days off since I started preaching the gospel for our Creator. I've taken at least 2 months off this past year alone.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:17:15 AM
There is NO proof that there is an afterlife after the death of the flesh in this world. But there are plenty of prophecies that were written by God's prophets that Jacob and a remnant of Israel will be saved from this world.

bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:21:18 AM
At 2/24/2015 3:17:15 AM, uncung wrote:

I have spoken to many of God's chosen believers who have had near death experiences and came back to tell about them. One of my friends got killed twice. Once by being shot eight times in the chest and the last time by being stabbed four times in the back by a knife. The last time his body was announced dead, he got to witness our Creator's mind and learned that He was real.

These stories are NOT proof that there is an afterlife because none of them went on to the new Heaven and Earth. That's because ALL flesh must perish from this Heaven and Earth before the New Heaven and Earth begin.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:23:05 AM
At 2/24/2015 3:16:36 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I'm far from witnessing 42 months. I've taken many days off since I started preaching the gospel for our Creator. I've taken at least 2 months off this past year alone.

So... you are a part-time saint.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:26:54 AM
At 2/24/2015 3:23:05 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I put in a 15 hour day every day of the week unless I take off a few days to rest or visit friends and family. Last summer, I got to go visit my oldest son and his family in southern California for two weeks. I've spent a lot of time with my youngest son and his family this past three months, also. After working for three to four weeks straight, I usually go to a friend's apartment to rest a few days. Those 100 plus hour weeks can get grueling sometimes.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:30:39 AM
At 2/24/2015 3:26:54 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I put in a 15 hour day every day of the week unless I take off a few days to rest or visit friends and family. Last summer, I got to go visit my oldest son and his family in southern California for two weeks. I've spent a lot of time with my youngest son and his family this past three months, also. After working for three to four weeks straight, I usually go to a friend's apartment to rest a few days. Those 100 plus hour weeks can get grueling sometimes.

So.... yes, you are a part time saint. Your sainthood follows a self made schedule. There are times when you put 'saint' on the shelf, and get back to it when you feel the desire.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:33:03 AM
At 2/24/2015 3:30:39 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

So.... yes, you are a part time saint. Your sainthood follows a self made schedule. There are times when you put 'saint' on the shelf, and get back to it when you feel the desire.

A part time Saint, WOW, how very convenient, lol!
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:37:11 AM

Oh, so since you took 2 months off then it should be happening NEXT month. And when it doesn't will you finally seek the medical attention you need?
#WarOnDDO
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:40:02 AM
At 2/24/2015 3:30:39 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

My body is called a saint so I am a saint until this body dies. My created existence is the invisible Word of God and that remains after my body dies, which will happen after I testify to my true existence for 42 months. All the desires I get come from God's planned program called Eternal Life. When I desire to take a break, it comes from our Creator. When my friend or family member calls me to come and stay with them, then I know it's a signal from our Creator for me to take a break.