Jump to topic:

Lost in translation.

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 9:40:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This thread is a discussion about how the meanings of words can easily get lost in translation from one language to another. We will look at bible words and their different meanings in the different languages and discuss different idioms etc in different languages.

Meanings getting lost in translation is especially true when it comes to idioms and allegories which do not always come across the same in all languages.

For example, when we talk about opening a can of worms in English we are not necessarily talking about a real can or real worms. If a non English speaking person was not aware of the meaning of the idiom and it was translated into their language, it may very well come across to them as being something literal when it is not supposed to be literal at all.

I am opening a can of worms with this topic because translation and interpretation seem to go hand in hand. People can misinterpret each others words even when they speak the same language. They are just not connecting on the same wavelength when they misinterpret each others messages.

Where does the problem lie? Is it in the lack of clarity in sending the message or the lack of understanding in receiving the message or both?

Do people really want to understand each other or do they just want everyone to understand them because they think they have truth which others do not?

If people put no effort into understanding others, should they expect anyone to put in any effort to understand them?

Anyway, meanings get lost in translation regardless of whether they are translated from one language to another or interpreted in the mind of the readers or hearers of their own language.

How do we regain the meaning which has been lost in translation? Does anyone even care about regaining it or understanding what another person is really trying to say?
IRONHIDE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 10:50:37 PM
At 2/15/2015 9:40:41 PM, Skyangel wrote:
This thread is a discussion about how the meanings of words can easily get lost in translation from one language to another. We will look at bible words and their different meanings in the different languages and discuss different idioms etc in different languages.

Meanings getting lost in translation is especially true when it comes to idioms and allegories which do not always come across the same in all languages.

For example, when we talk about opening a can of worms in English we are not necessarily talking about a real can or real worms. If a non English speaking person was not aware of the meaning of the idiom and it was translated into their language, it may very well come across to them as being something literal when it is not supposed to be literal at all.

I am opening a can of worms with this topic because translation and interpretation seem to go hand in hand. People can misinterpret each others words even when they speak the same language. They are just not connecting on the same wavelength when they misinterpret each others messages.

Where does the problem lie? Is it in the lack of clarity in sending the message or the lack of understanding in receiving the message or both?

Do people really want to understand each other or do they just want everyone to understand them because they think they have truth which others do not?

If people put no effort into understanding others, should they expect anyone to put in any effort to understand them?

Anyway, meanings get lost in translation regardless of whether they are translated from one language to another or interpreted in the mind of the readers or hearers of their own language.

How do we regain the meaning which has been lost in translation? Does anyone even care about regaining it or understanding what another person is really trying to say?

Very well said and excellent question. How does one know in the bible for example, when something being said is an idiom, or who is it that makes that determination, to let others know, that it was an idiom and not to be perceived otherwise ?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 2:38:20 AM

This is why God uses us saints and prophets. He has us testify to His knowledge by having us write and speak in the languages we learn from childhood in this world. The original writings and spoken word is the only true testimonies that exist in this world. All the copies of these original written and spoken words should not be trusted as the Truth.

This means the only way to hear the Truth is directly from the mouth of God's last saint today, the one who is writing this post.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 3:15:58 AM
At 2/16/2015 2:38:20 AM, bornofgod wrote:

This is why God uses us saints and prophets. He has us testify to His knowledge by having us write and speak in the languages we learn from childhood in this world. The original writings and spoken word is the only true testimonies that exist in this world. All the copies of these original written and spoken words should not be trusted as the Truth.

This means the only way to hear the Truth is directly from the mouth of God's last saint today, the one who is writing this post.

EE: Seems you must of gotten OBSOLETE information from your creator as the LIFE I LIVE is far superior to what you and the other superstitious concepts try and offer.

What I have is the REAL deal.

How can others get the REAL DEAL?

Simple

GROW UP and leave the childish ways behind you and get a few responsible grown up clues.

SUPERSTITION blinds the mind of what is Truth and Reality and what is not.

Notice that the superstitious will not touch the topic of superstition?
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 3:19:48 AM
At 2/16/2015 3:15:58 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

EE: Seems you must of gotten OBSOLETE information from your creator as the LIFE I LIVE is far superior to what you and the other superstitious concepts try and offer.

What I have is the REAL deal.

How can others get the REAL DEAL?

Simple

GROW UP and leave the childish ways behind you and get a few responsible grown up clues.

SUPERSTITION blinds the mind of what is Truth and Reality and what is not.

Notice that the superstitious will not touch the topic of superstition?

You haven't share any information about what you believe in. There are many antichrists like you who believe they have the Truth but have no knowledge of God to teach with.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 2:32:19 PM
At 2/15/2015 10:50:37 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

Very well said and excellent question. How does one know in the bible for example, when something being said is an idiom, or who is it that makes that determination, to let others know, that it was an idiom and not to be perceived otherwise ?

Personally I tend to do research on various Hebrew and Greek idioms. You can find sites with that information. I also tend to look up the Hebrew and Greek lexicons a lot to try to compare the meanings of the words in the lexicon with the meanings of the English words.
I obviously keep the literal meaning in mind in English but I am constantly asking myself if something has been lost in translation and whether there could be another meaning hidden behind what the words appear to mean at first glance. I never discount any possibilities especially when it comes to ancient literature because words do have a tendency to evolve and the meanings can change over time. Some words also obviously have more than one meaning.
Obviously in the end all readers need to determine what makes the most sense to them.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 3:52:51 PM
Let's talk about the word God.

What exactly is God to you?

In English the word God conveys the idea of a single invisible supernatural character which English speaking believers perceive to be the invisible creator of the universe. In English the word is singular and refers to a single entity.

Unbelievers perceive the word God to be referring to a mythical character. They see no difference between the Hebrew God and the mythical Greek Gods. To them it is illogical to believe any mythical characters created the universe. It is also illogical to believe all the invisible supernatural Greek gods are mythical and one invisible supernatural Hebrew God is not mythical.

The Hebrew word which has been translated as God in Genesis is ELOHIYM.
Elohiym is a plural word in Hebrew. It does not refer to a single entity but to a group.
The meaning according to the Lexicon http://www.blueletterbible.org...
is rulers, judges, divine ones, angels, gods.

The word Elohiym has also been used in the bible to refer to humans in general.

Psalm 82:6. I have said, Ye are gods (ELOHIYM) ; and all of you are children of the most High.

Isaiah 41:23 Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods (ELOHIYM): yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.

Humans are the ELOHIYM in those scriptures.

We are obviously not invisible supernatural entities who have been created in the image of an invisible supernatural entity. We are very visible and have been created by the very visible people (ELOHIYM) before us. We are ELOHIYM ( gods) created in the image of ELOHIYM ( gods).

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

We are a group of people (ELOHIYM, rulers and judges ) which make up one corporate body as a family.

That is how I personally perceive the word Elohiym in reference to any gods. Not as any single supernatural individual, especially not as an invisible one but rather as all of humanity including all people of the past present and future.

We humans ( ELOHIYM) are creators. We have the ability to create anything we can imagine and we obviously do even if the creations are simply illusions of reality.

Many people seem to get lost in their own created illusions of reality. They end up lost in their own imaginations.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:33:36 AM
At 2/16/2015 3:31:03 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
seems you are lost in the translation Brad.

You have no knowledge to teach anyone how we were created.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 2:18:15 AM
At 2/17/2015 1:33:36 AM, bornofgod wrote:

EE: So explain just HOW you were created.
I already know how I was created.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 3:30:59 AM
At 2/17/2015 2:18:15 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

I've been explaining how we were created ever since I joined this forum over 1 1/2 years ago. There are lots of posts by me that contain information about how we were created. I have yet to see any information by you on how we were created.

If you can't explain to me how we, or you, were created, then I know you're a fraud who has no knowledge from our Creator to understand how we were created.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 4:03:15 AM
At 2/17/2015 3:30:59 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I've been explaining how we were created ever since I joined this forum over 1 1/2 years ago. There are lots of posts by me that contain information about how we were created. I have yet to see any information by you on how we were created.

If you can't explain to me how we, or you, were created, then I know you're a fraud who has no knowledge from our Creator to understand how we were created.

EE: You haven't explained anything in DETAIL.

You may of explained the OUTSIDE container,
but what about whats inside the container?

You might say the container is a illusion or such.

Then it would make sense that the contents were also an illusion.

You remind me of a radio program that is transmitted from so far away that it cuts in and out leaving most of the signal unheard.

I'm VERY AWARE of how a mindset like yours ?works? as I have know many such as yourself.

You are under the delusion that others can "fill in" the missing blank spaces.

You seem much like a trained parrot that says one liners and hasn't a clue as to what it all adds up to.

I AM not a person that follows or believes in ANY type or sort of superstitious based concepts.

If you or anyone else can point out where I AM in error,

please proceed with clear thought and caution...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:07:37 AM
At 2/17/2015 4:03:15 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
At 2/17/2015 3:30:59 AM, bornofgod wrote:

EE: You haven't explained anything in DETAIL.

You may of explained the OUTSIDE container,
but what about whats inside the container?

You might say the container is a illusion or such.

Then it would make sense that the contents were also an illusion.

You remind me of a radio program that is transmitted from so far away that it cuts in and out leaving most of the signal unheard.

I'm VERY AWARE of how a mindset like yours ?works? as I have know many such as yourself.

You are under the delusion that others can "fill in" the missing blank spaces.

You seem much like a trained parrot that says one liners and hasn't a clue as to what it all adds up to.

I AM not a person that follows or believes in ANY type or sort of superstitious based concepts.

You are a person who does NOT know how we were created. If you did know, you would be wise enough to teach others how we were created.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:16:10 AM
At 2/17/2015 11:07:37 AM, bornofgod wrote:

You are a person who does NOT know how we were created. If you did know, you would be wise enough to teach others how we were created.

Dear Voice of God, Creator , Saint, or whatever else you wish to be called. Let me help your own invisible vibrations understand how they were created. YOU created them in YOUR MIND and caused them to appear as visible to themselves but in reality they are NOT REAL at all but are just a figment of YOUR IMAGINATION which YOU CREATED in YOUR MIND.
The character Brad who you created as an illusion of a saint and an illusion of your voice to teach your other illusions that they are not real seems to think he is the only one who understands he is not real.
He does not understand that EE and I and many others also understand he is NOT REAL.
He seems to think his main goal and purpose in life is to teach all illusions that they are not real.
What do YOU, the creator of your own illusion of a saint, think YOU will achieve by teaching your illusions that they are not real through the illusion of a saint who is also not real?
Does it matter if your illusions are aware of their own existence or not since they are just illusions anyway?
Does it matter if they know what will happen to them or not since they are just illusions?
Why do you, Dear CREATOR of ILLUSIONS, bother talking to your own Illusions through one of your own illusions? Are you so bored with yourself that you have nothing REAL to keep you occupied and amused but you need to spend time talking to characters which do not exist in reality but only exist in YOUR own MIND?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:22:25 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:16:10 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 2/17/2015 11:07:37 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Dear Voice of God, Creator , Saint, or whatever else you wish to be called. Let me help your own invisible vibrations understand how they were created. YOU created them in YOUR MIND and caused them to appear as visible to themselves but in reality they are NOT REAL at all but are just a figment of YOUR IMAGINATION which YOU CREATED in YOUR MIND.
The character Brad who you created as an illusion of a saint and an illusion of your voice to teach your other illusions that they are not real seems to think he is the only one who understands he is not real.
He does not understand that EE and I and many others also understand he is NOT REAL.
He seems to think his main goal and purpose in life is to teach all illusions that they are not real.
What do YOU, the creator of your own illusion of a saint, think YOU will achieve by teaching your illusions that they are not real through the illusion of a saint who is also not real?
Does it matter if your illusions are aware of their own existence or not since they are just illusions anyway?
Does it matter if they know what will happen to them or not since they are just illusions?
Why do you, Dear CREATOR of ILLUSIONS, bother talking to your own Illusions through one of your own illusions? Are you so bored with yourself that you have nothing REAL to keep you occupied and amused but you need to spend time talking to characters which do not exist in reality but only exist in YOUR own MIND?

It was planned by Me that you wouldn't know Me before your flesh dies soon. I made you a liar for My purpose that you can't understand.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:45:18 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:22:25 AM, bornofgod wrote:

It was planned by Me that you wouldn't know Me before your flesh dies soon. I made you a liar for My purpose that you can't understand.

According to you. I am a liar of YOUR CREATION since you created the lie in your own mind. Why do you bother TELLING a LIE and a liar of your own creation that they will not understand why YOU CREATED the LIE and the LIAR?

Obviously YOU have no clue that my flesh is already dead since it does not exist in reality. It is just an ILLUSION of YOUR MIND remember?
The only reason YOU CREATED the LIES and LIARS is so you can LIE to YOURSELF and keep yourself amused and self deceived with all your lies and liars in your own mind.

What is the point of any illusion knowing its creator since the illusion will simply vanish into thin air anyway?
Does a rainbow become a better rainbow by knowing it is a rainbow or doesn't it matter if it knows what it is or not?

Does a sim character become a smarter or better character by knowing it is just a simulated character and not real or does it simply do what the game player makes it do anyway since it has no REAL mind of its own?

Does it matter what it thinks will happen to it after it dies and whether it comes back to life or not if it is still just a Sim either way and never ends up being a person who can think logically for themselves?

Dream On Dear CREATOR. Your DREAMS are obviously keeping you entertained and they also keep me thoroughly amused. It's better than playing the Sims anyway.

Don't you get tired of telling your illusions the same things day after day when you know they won't listen anyway since you created them to not listen or understand you?

Why do you bother talking to your own Illusions and invisible vibrations when they are NOT REAL?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:48:53 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:45:18 AM, Skyangel wrote:

According to you. I am a liar of YOUR CREATION since you created the lie in your own mind. Why do you bother TELLING a LIE and a liar of your own creation that they will not understand why YOU CREATED the LIE and the LIAR?

Obviously YOU have no clue that my flesh is already dead since it does not exist in reality. It is just an ILLUSION of YOUR MIND remember?
The only reason YOU CREATED the LIES and LIARS is so you can LIE to YOURSELF and keep yourself amused and self deceived with all your lies and liars in your own mind.

What is the point of any illusion knowing its creator since the illusion will simply vanish into thin air anyway?
Does a rainbow become a better rainbow by knowing it is a rainbow or doesn't it matter if it knows what it is or not?

Does a sim character become a smarter or better character by knowing it is just a simulated character and not real or does it simply do what the game player makes it do anyway since it has no REAL mind of its own?

Does it matter what it thinks will happen to it after it dies and whether it comes back to life or not if it is still just a Sim either way and never ends up being a person who can think logically for themselves?

Dream On Dear CREATOR. Your DREAMS are obviously keeping you entertained and they also keep me thoroughly amused. It's better than playing the Sims anyway.

Don't you get tired of telling your illusions the same things day after day when you know they won't listen anyway since you created them to not listen or understand you?

Why do you bother talking to your own Illusions and invisible vibrations when they are NOT REAL?

I made My illusions so perfectly that whatever they experience feels real to them. Only My chosen ones will understand how we were created during this first age. In the next age, life will be so exciting that they won't need to question their existence.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:58:43 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:48:53 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I made My illusions so perfectly that whatever they experience feels real to them. Only My chosen ones will understand how we were created during this first age. In the next age, life will be so exciting that they won't need to question their existence.

I do not question my existence Brad. You are the one questioning yours.
I accept that I am what I am regardless of who thinks I am illusion and who does not.
Before Abraham was. I AM.

You have no clue how the illusion called God was created.
He created himself in exactly the same way he created you.
He is his own illusion. He is an image of his own creation.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:02:08 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:58:43 AM, Skyangel wrote:

I accept that I am what I am regardless of who thinks I am illusion and who does not.

Our Creator is the only one who is real. Everything else is only a figment of His imagination. You are one lost being in a world that you believe is real.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:26:00 AM
At 2/18/2015 2:02:08 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Our Creator is the only one who is real. Everything else is only a figment of His imagination. You are one lost being in a world that you believe is real.

YOU made your illusions so perfectly that whatever they experience feels real to them. Only your illusion called Brad will understand how he was created during this first age because he is the only one you chose to reveal that information to. None of the others are chosen to know any of that. You chose Brad to tell your illusions things they are not chosen to know. In the next age, your illusion called Brad knows that life will be so exciting that he won't need to question his own existence any more. He will have a perfect woman to keep him amused and no longer need to pretend to be something he is not.
YOU made your illusion named Brad so perfect that whatever he experiences, and thinks he knows, feels real to him. He has no clue that it is NOT REAL at all. He has no clue the GREAT deceiver is deceiving him into knowing he is the last saint on Earth who knows he will be shot one day soon.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 8:57:39 AM
At 2/18/2015 2:26:00 AM, Skyangel wrote:

YOU made your illusions so perfectly that whatever they experience feels real to them. Only your illusion called Brad will understand how he was created during this first age because he is the only one you chose to reveal that information to. None of the others are chosen to know any of that. You chose Brad to tell your illusions things they are not chosen to know. In the next age, your illusion called Brad knows that life will be so exciting that he won't need to question his own existence any more. He will have a perfect woman to keep him amused and no longer need to pretend to be something he is not.
YOU made your illusion named Brad so perfect that whatever he experiences, and thinks he knows, feels real to him. He has no clue that it is NOT REAL at all. He has no clue the GREAT deceiver is deceiving him into knowing he is the last saint on Earth who knows he will be shot one day soon.

I can see how confused you are about how you were created. You won't be confused in Paradise in your new bodies.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 9:13:32 AM

I suspect the authors of the documents making up the Bible would be astonished at the interpretations put on their work, which may well not have been intended.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 6:55:29 PM
At 2/18/2015 8:57:39 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I can see how confused you are about how you were created. You won't be confused in Paradise in your new bodies.

It is nice to know that you believe you won't be confused in the next age Brad. It is a shame you don't believe that you can't become unconfused in this age.

I was once confused like a child is confused but I became unconfused in this age because I believed I could become unconfused in this age. I found answers because I believed answers existed and I found them because I made an effort to find them.

I hope you wake up from your fantasies one day Brad. However I won't hold my breath because it seems you love the fantasies in which you live more than you love reality.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:03:17 PM
At 2/18/2015 9:13:32 AM, JJ50 wrote:

I suspect the authors of the documents making up the Bible would be astonished at the interpretations put on their work, which may well not have been intended.

True enough.
However they might also find it as amusing as some readers do.
I am sure they would be proud that their works ended up as such controversial classics which have outlasted many other stories over the centuries.

I am sure many anonymous writers would love it if their mythical characters ended up as idols which were worshiped by future generations and kept their stories alive for centuries. They would love it if the readers believed the characters in the stories wrote the stories. Maybe we should start a religion which worships all cartoon characters as really existing in the heavens and glorify them as supernatural because of the lessons they teach us?
Mickey mouse inspired his own creator to create him.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 10:04:06 AM
At 2/19/2015 6:55:29 PM, Skyangel wrote:

It is nice to know that you believe you won't be confused in the next age Brad. It is a shame you don't believe that you can't become unconfused in this age.

I was once confused like a child is confused but I became unconfused in this age because I believed I could become unconfused in this age. I found answers because I believed answers existed and I found them because I made an effort to find them.

I hope you wake up from your fantasies one day Brad. However I won't hold my breath because it seems you love the fantasies in which you live more than you love reality.

No man has ever known our true reality within the thoughts of our Creator. Life is but a dream my dear lost child.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 1:52:36 PM
At 2/20/2015 10:04:06 AM, bornofgod wrote:

No man has ever known our true reality within the thoughts of our Creator. Life is but a dream my dear lost child.

Didn't you die on Jan 24, 2015?

How did you find out from the scriptures or anything else that you would be killed at the Campbell Community Center? Who told you that? Where'd it come from?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 2:05:10 PM

But you are writing in English. That is not the language of the God of the bible. God had to speak Hebrew to communicate with the Jews.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 3:16:42 PM
At 2/20/2015 10:04:06 AM, bornofgod wrote:

And you, my dear lost child are lost in your own dream which you believe is some kind of reality. You don't even understand your own dream is nothing but an illusion and a fantasy of your own creation. You deceive yourself with your own illusions and delusions and want to believe you don't even have a voice of your own so you need to use an illusion of your own creation to be your voice. That makes you an illusion with an illusion of a voice.
If you were REAL you would have created REAL people in your REAL image and given them a brain capable of understanding reality instead of creating ILLUSIONS in your IMAGE but obviously an ILLUSION like you has no clue how to create something real. You are are nothing but a fantasy who lives in fantasy land.

You need to wake up from your dream Brad. Face reality. It does actually exist.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 3:43:21 PM

I speak 3 different languages, English (my native tongue) , French, and Spanish, and I can tell you for a fact that the meaning of words in ANY language varies with usage, context, use of idioms, and even geographical location .

I lived in north central Mexico for a few years. An automobile was called a "carro". Then I accepted a position in northwestern Mexico. If I referred to an automobile as a "carro", I received looks like I was an idiot. There, an automobile is a "coche ".

My point? Anyone trying to translate ancient text is at an extreme disadvantage, they most likely do not know the usage, geographical, or idiomatic difference in use at that time, especially if working with the common venicular.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 3:57:33 PM
At 2/20/2015 3:43:21 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

I speak 3 different languages, English (my native tongue) , French, and Spanish, and I can tell you for a fact that the meaning of words in ANY language varies with usage, context, use of idioms, and even geographical location .

I lived in north central Mexico for a few years. An automobile was called a "carro". Then I accepted a position in northwestern Mexico. If I referred to an automobile as a "carro", I received looks like I was an idiot. There, an automobile is a "coche ".

My point? Anyone trying to translate ancient text is at an extreme disadvantage, they most likely do not know the usage, geographical, or idiomatic difference in use at that time, especially if working with the common venicular.

That is correct. Besides that, meanings of words also evolve and change over time. Therefore anything that has been translated from ancient texts into another language will definitely lose meaning in translation.
The fact is that idioms and allegories often cannot be translated as idioms and allegories from one language to another because they may work as idioms in one language and not work as idioms in another due to different languages having different idioms and expressions which are common to that particular culture but not to any other.