Jump to topic:

Ego and religion.

drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 10:25:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The biggest gift of the eastern religions and the biggest flaw of the western religions is the understanding of Ego. Abrahamnic religions like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam suffer from overzealous ego. To assume they are the whole truth, the only truth. To assume others who do not follow their ways will go to hell. To assume their version of God is bigger, better, the king of gods is simply like measuring d*ck size.
Once you realize there is only one god, and god has no chosen religion, chosen path, or chosen people the truth becomes known. You are no better than anyone else in this world, neither is your religion, or faith. Being a theist is not better than being atheist or agnostic. When you experience ego loss, you realize who you are.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 11:29:16 PM
At 2/15/2015 10:25:46 PM, drpiek wrote:
To assume they are the whole truth, the only truth.

That doesn't have anything to do with having an ego. That has to do with logic. If A is true, then "not-A" is false. So naturally, anybody who subscribes to a religion is going to think that religion is true (otherwise, why subscribe to it), and if they think their religion is true, then any religion that contradicts it (which every other religion does) is going to be false.

To assume others who do not follow their ways will go to hell.

I don't see what that has to do with ego. If one thinks X is wrong and that God is the ultimate judge is going to think people who do X is going to be punished. That's no more egotistical than a person who thinks that X is illegal and that anybody who does X is going to be prosecuted.

Being a theist is not better than being atheist or agnostic.

If it's better to believe true things than false things, then it's either better to be a theist or it's better to be an atheist because either God exists or he doesn't.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 2:41:15 AM
The biggest gift of the eastern religions and the biggest flaw of the western religions is the understanding of Ego. Abrahamnic religions like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam suffer from overzealous ego. To assume they are the whole truth, the only truth. To assume others who do not follow their ways will go to hell. To assume their version of God is bigger, better, the king of gods is simply like measuring d*ck size.
Once you realize there is only one god, and god has no chosen religion, chosen path, or chosen people the truth becomes known. You are no better than anyone else in this world, neither is your religion, or faith. Being a theist is not better than being atheist or agnostic. When you experience ego loss, you realize who you are.

Who are you?
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 3:22:41 AM

Religion is the way of livling according to God wills and then there must be just one way, mustn't it?
But there are many religions, because human corrupted the original message,through history.

Actually, there is one God and He wants to be known, first of all. But apart from believers in God must be set apart disbelievers, because they don't believe.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 4:55:35 AM
At 2/15/2015 11:29:16 PM, philochristos wrote:

That doesn't have anything to do with having an ego. That has to do with logic. If A is true, then "not-A" is false. So naturally, anybody who subscribes to a religion is going to think that religion is true (otherwise, why subscribe to it), and if they think their religion is true, then any religion that contradicts it (which every other religion does) is going to be false.

I don't see what that has to do with ego. If one thinks X is wrong and that God is the ultimate judge is going to think people who do X is going to be punished. That's no more egotistical than a person who thinks that X is illegal and that anybody who does X is going to be prosecuted.

If it's better to believe true things than false things, then it's either better to be a theist or it's better to be an atheist because either God exists or he doesn't.

I was going to post to this thread but there's nothing left of the original argument.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 7:25:54 AM

It is Ego, Look up the whole meaning of Ego. The assumption that a person gains self worth because they follow the "true" religion. The problem is within the limited mind scope you suggest where "If A=True then Not A =False" There can be many truths.

Here is your little A=True, Not A=False as i see it for religion.

My Apple is the best Apple, since your apple is not the same as my apple it is not the best apple.

If religion is a path to God, which path is True? The most direct, the most scenic, the most caring,....? If the most direct path is the True path, is the most caring path false?

Again, for western religions the assumption is that everyone does X (sin), but god will save those who follow my religion. This is ego. My religion is better than your.

I would rather be an open mined atheist than a closed minded theist, or an open minded theist than a close minded agnostic. The only thing I see as better is not how you label yourself, it's about being open to change.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 7:28:09 AM
At 2/16/2015 2:41:15 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Who are you?

I am that I am, just as all of us are.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 7:30:26 AM
At 2/16/2015 3:22:41 AM, frbnsn wrote:

Religion is the way of livling according to God wills and then there must be just one way, mustn't it?

Why would an infinite God create only one path to him, there are many ways up a mountain.

But there are many religions, because human corrupted the original message,through history.

Actually, there is one God and He wants to be known, first of all. But apart from believers in God must be set apart disbelievers, because they don't believe.

Disbelievers are simply in the earliest part of the path.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 7:31:34 AM
At 2/16/2015 4:55:35 AM, ethang5 wrote:

I was going to post to this thread but there's nothing left of the original argument.

Keep reading.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:39:52 AM
At 2/16/2015 7:28:09 AM, drpiek wrote:

Who are you?

You are nothing but My thoughts.
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 2:37:37 AM
At 2/16/2015 7:30:26 AM, drpiek wrote:
At 2/16/2015 3:22:41 AM, frbnsn wrote:

Why would an infinite God create only one path to him, there are many ways up a mountain.

It is possible that there are many ways to the God, O.K. But also there must be sound principles, which are unconditional, like seeking best effort to climb to reach Him, in your example.

I think, you are right.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 7:18:37 AM
At 2/17/2015 1:39:52 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Who are you?

Yes I am your thoughts, and that is all you are.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:05:46 AM
At 2/17/2015 7:18:37 AM, drpiek wrote:

Who are you?

It's good that you know that.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:14:13 AM
At 2/17/2015 11:05:46 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Who are you?

capital I AM of coarse
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:51:50 AM
At 2/17/2015 11:14:13 AM, drpiek wrote:
At 2/17/2015 11:05:46 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Who are you?

capital I AM of coarse

I AM created all thoughts which is where His creation exists.