Total Posts:60|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Who is more secure in their belief?

seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 10:48:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

Given the perceived consequences of each one being wrong - Yours is an interesting question. Which one has the most to loose by being 'wrong.'

Something to think about.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 10:48:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

Of course there is always doubt, there is no evidence a deity does exist, but there is always the very remote possibility one might exist somewhere.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 10:49:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:48:13 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.


Given the perceived consequences of each one being wrong - Yours is an interesting question. Which one has the most to loose by being 'wrong.'


Something to think about.

A variation on Pascal's wager and not really worth thinking about.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 10:52:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

I'm agnostic, but if anything, lean towards the theistic side. If anything, I don't really dwell on it. Whatever happens, happens, and I brace for the worst.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:00:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:49:41 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:48:13 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.


Given the perceived consequences of each one being wrong - Yours is an interesting question. Which one has the most to loose by being 'wrong.'


Something to think about.

A variation on Pascal's wager and not really worth thinking about.

Not that I would disagree with you (in the end) but that is something I would rather make a determination about; myself.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:01:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:48:30 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

Of course there is always doubt, there is no evidence a deity does exist, but there is always the very remote possibility one might exist somewhere.

So probably 'moderate' for you?
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:02:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:48:13 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.


Given the perceived consequences of each one being wrong - Yours is an interesting question. Which one has the most to loose by being 'wrong.'


Something to think about.

How much would you say you experience?
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:05:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:00:26 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:49:41 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:48:13 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.


Given the perceived consequences of each one being wrong - Yours is an interesting question. Which one has the most to loose by being 'wrong.'


Something to think about.

A variation on Pascal's wager and not really worth thinking about.

Not that I would disagree with you (in the end) but that is something I would rather make a determination about; myself.

No one said you should not. I was simply voicing my opinion. I think everyone should make their own determination about such things, using reason and logic and all of critical thinking tools available to us.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:07:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

It's hard to doubt disbelief, as it is the end consequence of doubt - I have so much doubt in the theistic claim that I don't believe it. Does that mean I'm certain in my position? No; evidence could come along to change my mind. I don't doubt the current lack of evidence though, because it's pretty clear-cut: either I have been presented with some convincing evidence or I have not. If I had been, I wouldn't doubt the claim it supported.
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:09:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:52:31 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

I'm agnostic, but if anything, lean towards the theistic side. If anything, I don't really dwell on it. Whatever happens, happens, and I brace for the worst.

Would you say it is 'some times' (doubt), against leaning towards the atheist side?
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:11:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:02:13 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:48:13 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.


Given the perceived consequences of each one being wrong - Yours is an interesting question. Which one has the most to loose by being 'wrong.'


Something to think about.

How much would you say you experience?

How much doubt?

I probably have an equal amount both ways. Give or take a little (very little) on any given day.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:11:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:09:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:52:31 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

I'm agnostic, but if anything, lean towards the theistic side. If anything, I don't really dwell on it. Whatever happens, happens, and I brace for the worst.

Would you say it is 'some times' (doubt), against leaning towards the atheist side?

Could you rephrase the question please? Don't really understand it.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:12:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:07:37 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

It's hard to doubt disbelief, as it is the end consequence of doubt - I have so much doubt in the theistic claim that I don't believe it. Does that mean I'm certain in my position? No; evidence could come along to change my mind. I don't doubt the current lack of evidence though, because it's pretty clear-cut: either I have been presented with some convincing evidence or I have not. If I had been, I wouldn't doubt the claim it supported.

It seems you are totally secure and never doubt your belief in no God/gods.

Strong.
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:13:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:11:07 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:02:13 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:48:13 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.


Given the perceived consequences of each one being wrong - Yours is an interesting question. Which one has the most to loose by being 'wrong.'


Something to think about.

How much would you say you experience?

How much doubt?

I probably have an equal amount both ways. Give or take a little (very little) on any given day.

Ahhh I understand.
Thank you.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:15:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:12:22 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:07:37 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

It's hard to doubt disbelief, as it is the end consequence of doubt - I have so much doubt in the theistic claim that I don't believe it. Does that mean I'm certain in my position? No; evidence could come along to change my mind. I don't doubt the current lack of evidence though, because it's pretty clear-cut: either I have been presented with some convincing evidence or I have not. If I had been, I wouldn't doubt the claim it supported.

It seems you are totally secure and never doubt your belief in no God/gods.

Strong.

I guess if you don't read what I post and just jump to whatever conclusion suits your agenda it could seem like anything. I disbelieve every faith claim I've encountered as there has been a lack of convincing evidence/arguments to make me believe. That does not mean I'm 'secure' in believing there is 'no god(s)'. As I quite clearly said, I'm open to the idea that evidence could come along and change my mind.

If you aren't going to listen to the answers, why ask the question in the first place?
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:18:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:11:57 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:09:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:52:31 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

I'm agnostic, but if anything, lean towards the theistic side. If anything, I don't really dwell on it. Whatever happens, happens, and I brace for the worst.

Would you say it is 'some times' (doubt), against leaning towards the atheist side?

Could you rephrase the question please? Don't really understand it.

You 'some times' have doubts for atheism?
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:20:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:18:51 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:11:57 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:09:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:52:31 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

I'm agnostic, but if anything, lean towards the theistic side. If anything, I don't really dwell on it. Whatever happens, happens, and I brace for the worst.

Would you say it is 'some times' (doubt), against leaning towards the atheist side?

Could you rephrase the question please? Don't really understand it.

You 'some times' have doubts for atheism?

Yes, I do. That's why I'm agnostic. When it comes to the existence of a "God", I'm unsure of the truth. I would like to believe, but I can't bring myself to that.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:20:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't know that I'd describe what a weak atheist experiences as "doubt." Curiosity at the possibility of something existing seems more accurate. Yes, I experience that curiosity sometimes. That's part of why I come to religious forums in search of arguments and evidence for the existence of gods. From moment to moment, though, I generally have more important and real things on my mind.
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:27:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:15:16 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:12:22 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:07:37 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

It's hard to doubt disbelief, as it is the end consequence of doubt - I have so much doubt in the theistic claim that I don't believe it. Does that mean I'm certain in my position? No; evidence could come along to change my mind. I don't doubt the current lack of evidence though, because it's pretty clear-cut: either I have been presented with some convincing evidence or I have not. If I had been, I wouldn't doubt the claim it supported.

It seems you are totally secure and never doubt your belief in no God/gods.

Strong.

I guess if you don't read what I post and just jump to whatever conclusion suits your agenda it could seem like anything. I disbelieve every faith claim I've encountered as there has been a lack of convincing evidence/arguments to make me believe. That does not mean I'm 'secure' in believing there is 'no god(s)'. As I quite clearly said, I'm open to the idea that evidence could come along and change my mind.

If you aren't going to listen to the answers, why ask the question in the first place?

It could mean I am not understanding, sorry on my part. So you are not secure? This not secure in your opinion how would you rate it with these terms. 'Not secure' some times, moderate, often. It can't be never then?

Or there is no rating it for you?
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:29:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:20:20 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:18:51 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:11:57 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:09:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:52:31 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

I'm agnostic, but if anything, lean towards the theistic side. If anything, I don't really dwell on it. Whatever happens, happens, and I brace for the worst.

Would you say it is 'some times' (doubt), against leaning towards the atheist side?

Could you rephrase the question please? Don't really understand it.

You 'some times' have doubts for atheism?

Yes, I do. That's why I'm agnostic. When it comes to the existence of a "God", I'm unsure of the truth. I would like to believe, but I can't bring myself to that.

Ah...ok thank you.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:31:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:27:35 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:15:16 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:12:22 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:07:37 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

It's hard to doubt disbelief, as it is the end consequence of doubt - I have so much doubt in the theistic claim that I don't believe it. Does that mean I'm certain in my position? No; evidence could come along to change my mind. I don't doubt the current lack of evidence though, because it's pretty clear-cut: either I have been presented with some convincing evidence or I have not. If I had been, I wouldn't doubt the claim it supported.

It seems you are totally secure and never doubt your belief in no God/gods.

Strong.

I guess if you don't read what I post and just jump to whatever conclusion suits your agenda it could seem like anything. I disbelieve every faith claim I've encountered as there has been a lack of convincing evidence/arguments to make me believe. That does not mean I'm 'secure' in believing there is 'no god(s)'. As I quite clearly said, I'm open to the idea that evidence could come along and change my mind.

If you aren't going to listen to the answers, why ask the question in the first place?

It could mean I am not understanding, sorry on my part. So you are not secure? This not secure in your opinion how would you rate it with these terms. 'Not secure' some times, moderate, often. It can't be never then?

Or there is no rating it for you?

I don't think it makes sense to rate it. I currently have an abundance of doubt about the theistic claim(s). This does not relate to prospective doubt against different, future claims based on different evidence/arguments. Until I hear those arguments, I can't rate my doubt 'level' regarding them.

I am not certain there is no god. If I were certain, there would be no room for doubt and I'd be stating there there could not be, under any circumstances, anything remotely recognisable as a deity. That is not what my position is. I simply don't believe in any of the ones I've so far been presented with. As there's a potentially infinite number of other formulations I've as yet not been presented with, I can't possibly guess at how doubtful of them I would be because I don't know what it is I would be doubting or on what grounds.
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:36:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:20:48 AM, Burzmali wrote:
I don't know that I'd describe what a weak atheist experiences as "doubt."

So you are saying all weak atheist are totally secure. Strong people they are.

Curiosity at the possibility of something existing seems more accurate. Yes, I experience that curiosity sometimes. That's part of why I come to religious forums in search of arguments and evidence for the existence of gods.

Thank you curiosity sometimes, became maybe you doubt some times the other? Or that has nothing to do with doubt?

From moment to moment, though, I generally have more important and real things on my mind.

Real things in mind. Thank you.
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:40:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:36:55 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:20:48 AM, Burzmali wrote:
I don't know that I'd describe what a weak atheist experiences as "doubt."

So you are saying all weak atheist are totally secure. Strong people they are.


Curiosity at the possibility of something existing seems more accurate. Yes, I experience that curiosity sometimes. That's part of why I come to religious forums in search of arguments and evidence for the existence of gods.

Thank you curiosity sometimes, became maybe you doubt some times the other? Or that has nothing to do with doubt?

^because


From moment to moment, though, I generally have more important and real things on my mind.

Real things in mind. Thank you.
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:45:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:31:38 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:27:35 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:15:16 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:12:22 AM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:07:37 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

It's hard to doubt disbelief, as it is the end consequence of doubt - I have so much doubt in the theistic claim that I don't believe it. Does that mean I'm certain in my position? No; evidence could come along to change my mind. I don't doubt the current lack of evidence though, because it's pretty clear-cut: either I have been presented with some convincing evidence or I have not. If I had been, I wouldn't doubt the claim it supported.

It seems you are totally secure and never doubt your belief in no God/gods.

Strong.

I guess if you don't read what I post and just jump to whatever conclusion suits your agenda it could seem like anything. I disbelieve every faith claim I've encountered as there has been a lack of convincing evidence/arguments to make me believe. That does not mean I'm 'secure' in believing there is 'no god(s)'. As I quite clearly said, I'm open to the idea that evidence could come along and change my mind.

If you aren't going to listen to the answers, why ask the question in the first place?

It could mean I am not understanding, sorry on my part. So you are not secure? This not secure in your opinion how would you rate it with these terms. 'Not secure' some times, moderate, often. It can't be never then?

Or there is no rating it for you?

I don't think it makes sense to rate it.

Maybe doubt is the wrong word for you. Do you ever think of a argument or a struggle with yourself and say.......... maybe there right and God is real.

Do you ever experience this?

I currently have an abundance of doubt about the theistic claim(s). This does not relate to prospective doubt against different, future claims based on different evidence/arguments. Until I hear those arguments, I can't rate my doubt 'level' regarding them.

I am not certain there is no god. If I were certain, there would be no room for doubt and I'd be stating there there could not be, under any circumstances, anything remotely recognisable as a deity. That is not what my position is. I simply don't believe in any of the ones I've so far been presented with. As there's a potentially infinite number of other formulations I've as yet not been presented with, I can't possibly guess at how doubtful of them I would be because I don't know what it is I would be doubting or on what grounds.
IRONHIDE
Posts: 326
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:48:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

I will be honest....you have read a lot of my beliefs and faith in God...and have engaged in thought provoking questions. back and forth, with each other over doctrine.

While I sometimes question, my belief concerning certain issues and beliefs of scripture and continue to examine them, I am secure in my belief there is a God.

Though at times I even found my self questioning If there was even a God in past times in my life. I am always brought back to a certain security there is a God. Just looking at the wonders of the universe and life its self, bring me that security knowing God is real and this was no big bang accident.

This recent 4 min illustration of the wonder of Gods creation left me in awe of his wonders and reassured me there was indeed a God https://www.youtube.com...
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:50:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

The only valid "doubt" belongs to the one making an assertion. Agnostics make no assertions regarding the existence of a god. They are simply rejecting the assertions that are made by theists. Atheists, on the other hand, can be seen as making an assertion, depending on their stance (i.e. "there is no god," "god cannot exist," etc.) with respect to any god. Rejection of a purported god is not an assertion, it is the rejection of a baseless assertion.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 12:00:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 11:50:34 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

The only valid "doubt" belongs to the one making an assertion. Agnostics make no assertions regarding the existence of a god. They are simply rejecting the assertions that are made by theists. Atheists, on the other hand, can be seen as making an assertion, depending on their stance (i.e. "there is no god," "god cannot exist," etc.) with respect to any god. Rejection of a purported god is not an assertion, it is the rejection of a baseless assertion.

So you never have a doubt and argue with yourself about it. Maybe there is a God.....or argue and say......Maybe there is no God.

No struggle about it?
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 12:05:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 12:00:52 PM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:50:34 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

The only valid "doubt" belongs to the one making an assertion. Agnostics make no assertions regarding the existence of a god. They are simply rejecting the assertions that are made by theists. Atheists, on the other hand, can be seen as making an assertion, depending on their stance (i.e. "there is no god," "god cannot exist," etc.) with respect to any god. Rejection of a purported god is not an assertion, it is the rejection of a baseless assertion.

So you never have a doubt and argue with yourself about it. Maybe there is a God.....or argue and say......Maybe there is no God.

No struggle about it?

Since my position is not one of "there is no god," no. There is no struggle. My position is one of "no god ever invented by humans is possible." There is zero struggle in my rejection of anything that humans have ever written or told me about the god in which they believe. None of them make any rational sense. I make no assertion, one way or the other, about the actual existence of a deity. I am completely open to finding that some form of deity exists (some time in the future), if we acquire evidence as to the existence of a deity. Not one "holy" book has ever described a deity that is even remotely believable.

Doubt: zero.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
seeu46
Posts: 578
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 12:50:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2015 12:05:02 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 2/16/2015 12:00:52 PM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/16/2015 11:50:34 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 2/16/2015 10:44:32 AM, seeu46 wrote:
Theist believe in God.

Atheist don't believe in God.

Who experiences less 'doubt'?

This may be a wrong opinion but for some reason I believe Atheists don't experience as much doubt as a theist does and maybe even some none at all, but I could be wrong with this generalization. I imagine this also could just depend on the person and not as a whole.

Theists/Atheists do you experience doubt? And if you do how much would you classify it at times for yourself with these terms...... moderate, often, severe or never.

Thank you for your time.

The only valid "doubt" belongs to the one making an assertion. Agnostics make no assertions regarding the existence of a god. They are simply rejecting the assertions that are made by theists. Atheists, on the other hand, can be seen as making an assertion, depending on their stance (i.e. "there is no god," "god cannot exist," etc.) with respect to any god. Rejection of a purported god is not an assertion, it is the rejection of a baseless assertion.

So you never have a doubt and argue with yourself about it. Maybe there is a God.....or argue and say......Maybe there is no God.

No struggle about it?

Since my position is not one of "there is no god," no. There is no struggle. My position is one of "no god ever invented by humans is possible." There is zero struggle in my rejection of anything that humans have ever written or told me about the god in which they believe. None of them make any rational sense. I make no assertion, one way or the other, about the actual existence of a deity. I am completely open to finding that some form of deity exists (some time in the future), if we acquire evidence as to the existence of a deity. Not one "holy" book has ever described a deity that is even remotely believable.

Doubt: zero.

No struggle. Zero doubt? Wow. Then you are secure with not knowing the unknown. Until it is known. But you are curious and wonder, in searching for the unknown at the same time. But is not that your struggle then? To find this truth that is unknown to you.

And you wonder because you are confused? As thus you are here in the religion forum, due to this type of 'struggle' within yourself?