Posted: 1 year ago
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

I'm tempted to become a born again Jew.....pass me over that scalpel

They are a relatively small group of people that have had a relatively consistent culture for a few thousand years, have outlasted all of their contemporaries in the region... They have outlasted:

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

For their size they have had a disproportionate influence on society and one of their folk spawned the largest religions on the planet.

They are influential, have the most functional nation in the middle east, value education, do well in business, art and entertainment and have all the best jokes - this is despite the fact people have consistently tried to wipe them out time and time again. So you have to wonder.....if they are not God's chosen people....how in the blazes are they still thriving after all this time when so many other larger, more powerful civilisations have all but crumbled?
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:02:51 PM
At 2/16/2015 9:22:43 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

They are a relatively small group of people that have had a relatively consistent culture for a few thousand years, have outlasted all of their contemporaries in the region... They have outlasted:

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

For their size they have had a disproportionate influence on society and one of their folk spawned the largest religions on the planet.

They are influential, have the most functional nation in the middle east, value education, do well in business, art and entertainment and have all the best jokes - this is despite the fact people have consistently tried to wipe them out time and time again. So you have to wonder.....if they are not God's chosen people....how in the blazes are they still thriving after all this time when so many other larger, more powerful civilisations have all but crumbled?

What about the Greeks?

The Romans are still going. They're called Italians now.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:13:41 PM
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

Lol, I remember this being falsely attributed to Dorothy Parker. There are many more variations, I think.

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

Eh, so have the Armenians, and any diaspora, really. Not the same enemies, but analogous ones.

And the Persians actually had a pretty good relationship with the Jews historically; the Arabs sort of took over for them once they beat the snot of Byzantium.

It's sort of ironic that everyone complains about them being bankers, but Jews tended to adopt that profession precisely because of intense persecution and the idea that was usury was 'dirty'. 'We hate you! Take our money!' - Europeans should have thought that one over a bit.

They are having a good moment. The last ~1,800 years have sucked pretty badly though, so lets see how long it lasts. In the grand scheme of history, Israel isn't even a blastocyte yet.

Plus, its situation isn't exactly stable.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2015 11:13:56 PM
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

Our God is the Most High to have developed within the previous world that was destroyed by water. It was he who was carried to the throne of the then current MOST HIGH in the creation, where he was anointed as the successor to the throne of the Most High, and translated from a being of physical matter into one of glorious and unapproachable light. And the Israelites of who the Jews are but one tribe (Judah) are of his human genetic line of "Second born" who receive the blessing of "First Born."

Shem was the second born of Noah, Abraham was the second born of Terah, Isaac was the second born of Abraham, Jacob whose name was changed to "Israel" was the second born son of Isaac, etc. But all received the blessings of "First Born."
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:07:13 AM
At 2/16/2015 11:02:51 PM, dee-em wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

What about the Greeks?

The Greeks and Roman culture that we have now has changed quite substantially from the ones of old. Rome went from a city of more than a million down to a few tens of thousands, they abandoned all their old Gods and took on a Jewish one. I dare say that there are more pictures of Jews hanging in peoples homes in Italy than there are of Emporer, gladiators and centurians.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:32:12 AM
At 2/16/2015 11:13:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

Lol, I remember this being falsely attributed to Dorothy Parker. There are many more variations, I think.

Dorothy Parker was half Jewish - they are everywhere!! Love this poem....its true 'cause it rhymes.

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

Eh, so have the Armenians, and any diaspora, really. Not the same enemies, but analogous ones.

The Armenians have not had the same level of influence as their souterly neighbours.

And the Persians actually had a pretty good relationship with the Jews historically; the Arabs sort of took over for them once they beat the snot of Byzantium.

It's sort of ironic that everyone complains about them being bankers, but Jews tended to adopt that profession precisely because of intense persecution and the idea that was usury was 'dirty'. 'We hate you! Take our money!' - Europeans should have thought that one over a bit.

Bit of a sorry tale when the English borrowed a lot of money from Jewish bankers only to never pay it back and repaid their creditors by putting them in a boat, dropping them in the channel on some mud flats and left them to deal with the rising tide.

They are having a good moment. The last ~1,800 years have sucked pretty badly though, so lets see how long it lasts. In the grand scheme of history, Israel isn't even a blastocyte yet.

That is what is so amazing, despite all the rubbish they have put up with, they punch way above their weight when it comes to their impact on the world. I think one of the reasons they have been hated is that where ever they go they tend to be successful and the green eyed monsters attack.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:47:43 AM
At 2/17/2015 12:32:12 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

Dorothy Parker was half Jewish - they are everywhere!! Love this poem....its true 'cause it rhymes.

Lol, one of the other ones: "Moses, Jesus, Marx, Einstein, and Freud; No wonder the goyim are annoyed."

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

The Armenians have not had the same level of influence as their southerly neighbours.

Their expulsion was also more recent.

Bit of a sorry tale when the English borrowed a lot of money from Jewish bankers only to never pay it back and repaid their creditors by putting them in a boat, dropping them in the channel on some mud flats and left them to deal with the rising tide.

When was this? I know of the standard blood libel cases and seized assets during the Crusades, but I'm not familiar with this story.

That is what is so amazing, despite all the rubbish they have put up with, they punch way above their weight when it comes to their impact on the world. I think one of the reasons they have been hated is that where ever they go they tend to be successful and the green eyed monsters attack.

I find the degraded relationship with the Arab world to be especially depressing. Westerners pretty much exported blood libel to them; when they were free of Western influences the Jews actually had stable, flourishing communities for once. I think that that case has less to do with envy and more to do with Israel being seen as an outpost of Western society.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:10:55 AM
At 2/17/2015 12:47:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/17/2015 12:32:12 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

Lol, one of the other ones: "Moses, Jesus, Marx, Einstein, and Freud; No wonder the goyim are annoyed."

Groucho Marx (another Jew) wanted to know if his half Jewish daughter could go into the local country club pool at least half way as they had a Jewish exclusion policy.

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

The Armenians have not had the same level of influence as their southerly neighbours.

Their expulsion was also more recent.

When was this? I know of the standard blood libel cases and seized assets during the Crusades, but I'm not familiar with this story.

Bit of a longish read....do a search for "drown" and you will get to the right spot...

http://www.iamthewitness.com...

I find the degraded relationship with the Arab world to be especially depressing. Westerners pretty much exported blood libel to them; when they were free of Western influences the Jews actually had stable, flourishing communities for once. I think that that case has less to do with envy and more to do with Israel being seen as an outpost of Western society.

My comment was mainly directed at the traditional western view of the Jews, rather than the Arab one. The Arab issue seems more to do with land than anything else
Not my gumdrop buttons!

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:13:22 AM
At 2/17/2015 12:07:13 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

What about the Greeks?

The Greeks and Roman culture that we have now has changed quite substantially from the ones of old. Rome went from a city of more than a million down to a few tens of thousands, they abandoned all their old Gods and took on a Jewish one. I dare say that there are more pictures of Jews hanging in peoples homes in Italy than there are of Emporer, gladiators and centurians.

I can't disagree on the culture change. It could be argued that the Roman Empire morphed into the Roman Catholic Church.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 1:18:43 AM
At 2/17/2015 1:13:22 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/17/2015 12:07:13 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

What about the Greeks?

I can't disagree on the culture change. It could be argued that the Roman Empire morphed into the Roman Catholic Church.

They have a lot in common.... They both have "Roman" in their name AND they both have an awesome wardrobe
Not my gumdrop buttons!

bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:16:14 AM
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

God planned to use the Jews as a symbolic message to us saints. Think of all God's people as the Jews who are headed for the promised land ( Paradise ) but only after all the flesh has perished in this first age.
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:26:10 AM
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

What's even more odd is why God chose NOT to reveal himself to all the other humans that came before. The countless humans eeking out a meager existence, starving, diseased, and constantly on the brink of extinction and due to not knowing God, presumably burning in hell now. Then he finally chose to reveal himself, not in the age of video cameras and the internet, but to a bunch of illiterate, iron age peasants....It's much more curious the contemplate the things God didn't do than it is to contemplate the things he did do some times.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:27:52 AM
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,

What so odd about it? Does not the god of any religion choose that religion above all others?

The God of Islam chooses Muslims as his chosen people.
The God of Christianity chooses Christians as his chosen people..
The God of JW's chooses JW's as his chosen people.
The God of dogs chooses dogs as his chosen people.
The God of fairies chooses fairies as his chosen people.
The God of Brad chooses Brad as his one and only chosen saint.

etc
etc
You get the drift?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:33:14 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:27:52 AM, Skyangel wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,

What so odd about it? Does not the god of any religion choose that religion above all others?

The God of Islam chooses Muslims as his chosen people.
The God of Christianity chooses Christians as his chosen people..
The God of JW's chooses JW's as his chosen people.
The God of dogs chooses dogs as his chosen people.
The God of fairies chooses fairies as his chosen people.
The God of Brad chooses Brad as his one and only chosen saint.

etc
etc
You get the drift?
\
There's only one Creator and I'm the one who speaks for Him. Many of My people don't believe that I exist and that's because they believe what they see in this world is real.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:39:45 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:26:10 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

What's even more odd is why God chose NOT to reveal himself to all the other humans that came before. The countless humans eeking out a meager existence, starving, diseased, and constantly on the brink of extinction and due to not knowing God, presumably burning in hell now. Then he finally chose to reveal himself, not in the age of video cameras and the internet, but to a bunch of illiterate, iron age peasants....It's much more curious the contemplate the things God didn't do than it is to contemplate the things he did do some times.

And what is even more odd is that even though God has revealed himself, and his Son to boot and they have consistently said, help the poor, help the starving, the downtrodden, the orphans, etc etc we still continue not to do that terribly well and still blame him for their plight. The mind boggles.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:33:33 AM
At 2/18/2015 1:39:45 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

And what is even more odd is that even though God has revealed himself, and his Son to boot and they have consistently said, help the poor, help the starving, the downtrodden, the orphans, etc etc we still continue not to do that terribly well and still blame him for their plight. The mind boggles.

Yeah, there is some good thoughts in those books (along with some truly aweful ones)....unfortunately too many followers feel the need to protect the pearly gates from down here and make sure those darn homosexuals don't get married, etc.... rather than simply improving the lives of everyone. Makes questioning the utility of religion a much more valid inquiry; especially considering the rise of atheist charities and their recent impact. For such a small bunch without any God to motivate them, those atheists are a charitable bunch....
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 3:18:01 AM
At 2/18/2015 2:33:33 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

Yeah, there is some good thoughts in those books (along with some truly aweful ones)....unfortunately too many followers feel the need to protect the pearly gates from down here and make sure those darn homosexuals don't get married, etc.... rather than simply improving the lives of everyone. Makes questioning the utility of religion a much more valid inquiry; especially considering the rise of atheist charities and their recent impact. For such a small bunch without any God to motivate them, those atheists are a charitable bunch....

The atheist charity thing is kind of interesting - its a little.... Look we can be good too!! I just did a debate where my opponent gave out a list of secular charities to demonstrate the goodness of atheists, and when I looked into them most were founded by Jews or Christians. One of them was set up by a Christian specifically to give atheists an avenue to be charitable. But it is all good though, yay for atheist giving!! - money is like manure, its better when it is spread around
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 4:07:13 AM
At 2/18/2015 3:18:01 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

The atheist charity thing is kind of interesting - its a little.... Look we can be good too!! I just did a debate where my opponent gave out a list of secular charities to demonstrate the goodness of atheists, and when I looked into them most were founded by Jews or Christians. One of them was set up by a Christian specifically to give atheists an avenue to be charitable. But it is all good though, yay for atheist giving!! - money is like manure, its better when it is spread around

I saw that debate. Seems like it would be a hard one to win without getting all Christopher Hitchens on religion. I'm surprised he didn't try to separate leadership from charity values. Would have been an easy case to make. Showing that while some of the founders may have been religious, the charities themselves are modeled after secular ideals and lack any religious rhetoric or affiliations.....

Most atheists I know come from a humanist perspective, so it's not surprising that they would spread around a lot of money. Since humanism is a utilitarian philosophy, it makes sense to look at money and time as means rather than as ends.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 5:20:16 AM
At 2/18/2015 4:07:13 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

I saw that debate. Seems like it would be a hard one to win without getting all Christopher Hitchens on religion. I'm surprised he didn't try to separate leadership from charity values. Would have been an easy case to make. Showing that while some of the founders may have been religious, the charities themselves are modeled after secular ideals and lack any religious rhetoric or affiliations.....

Most atheists I know come from a humanist perspective, so it's not surprising that they would spread around a lot of money. Since humanism is a utilitarian philosophy, it makes sense to look at money and time as means rather than as ends.

Still waiting on some votes to see which way it goes - thought before we started it could have been an easy one to lose, but think I might have got through it - we will see. The debate challenges are a bit thin on the ground at the moment - not much to choose from.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 5:58:27 AM
At 2/18/2015 5:20:16 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
At 2/18/2015 4:07:13 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
How odd of God,
to choose the Jews,
But not as odd
as those who choose
A Jewish God
Yet spurn the Jews....

The Romans,
The Persian
The Egyptians
The Hittites
The Nazi's etc etc

Still waiting on some votes to see which way it goes - thought before we started it could have been an easy one to lose, but think I might have got through it - we will see. The debate challenges are a bit thin on the ground at the moment - not much to choose from.

Yeah; the voting thing is kinda rough too. Can't vote yet since I only have one debate. However, I'd probably have to vote for you. You definitely had the harder mountain to climb; CON just did a poor job of framing his rebuttals and didn't set up his arguments to shield himself from easy counter arguments. It's like chess, you gotta cover your pieces....