Jump to topic:

Marriage, what really is it

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 8:03:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
When you stop to think about it, it has only been in very recent centuries that there was any requirement for marriages to be legally registered, and that was only brought in as a legal requirement to protect the legal rights of wives, which were non existent, in the UK at least, until the 1900s.

In fact, in the UK, it is no longer even for the marriage to be registered for it to be recognised in law as a marriage for legal purposes.

That s why most UK legal forms no longer ask if you have a wide, simply a partner, which covers both the registered and non registered state of partnership.

A Common Law wife, now has almost as many rights as a legally registered wife.

Technically Imelda is now my "Common Law wife" until we can legally register the marriage as we were prevented fr doing a year ago.

Of course different countries have differing views on these matter, some even having no legal registration at all, so I can only speak for the UK.

Most so-called "Christian" Churches, completely scripturally claimed that if you weren't married in church you weren't married in God's eyes, and whilst that does have some basis in the scriptural idea of marriage it is simply a way of raising money for the church and or it's resident minister.

In fact, in God's eyes the "ceremony" was very simple, and the marriage of Joseph and Mary is a perfect example.

All that happened between the tow is that Joseph "took Mary to his home" in public view. No doubt others had been told this was happening to it would in effect be a public demonstration of their marriage. Though the Jews did hold wedding feasts there is no record of Joseph and Mary having one, possibly because they could not afford one. Anyway the were definitely an "optional extra".

So in reality all God requires is that the commitment be declared publicly, which one and Imelda's has, and that both husband and wife start to meet scriptural requirements for behaving as man and wife, which Imelda and I already do, in all senses. I have made the commitment in front of her, very large family, and in fact n public on my Facebook page, though in fact, that last was Imelda's doing I simply had to confirm that we are "married" which I did

Thus the only element missing is the legal registration, which a change in the system for obtaining the needed affidavit meant I could not get one within the time of my stay in the Philippines.

To go some way towards explaining that, my stay was limited to 30 days, because the UK and Ireland have a special arrangement with the Philippines which means that holders of UK and Irish passports can stay in the Philippines for 30 days without the need for a visa. Because the UK Embassy had switched to an appointment system only a few days before my arrival, I was unable any longer to just walk in and obtain the needed affidavit, and the system had been swamped with applications for appointments, which meant the first appointment I could get was not until a month after I had to be back in the UK.

If not for that unforeseen change Imelda and I would have been married a year ago.

The one positive side of all this is that it has given me a reason to explain fully God's view of marriage, and what comprises one.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 8:23:23 AM
Serially adultery, in your case.
Serial sinner.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 8:39:52 AM
At 2/17/2015 8:03:14 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
When you stop to think about it, it has only been in very recent centuries that there was any requirement for marriages to be legally registered, and that was only brought in as a legal requirement to protect the legal rights of wives, which were non existent, in the UK at least, until the 1900s.

In fact, in the UK, it is no longer even for the marriage to be registered for it to be recognised in law as a marriage for legal purposes.

That s why most UK legal forms no longer ask if you have a wide, simply a partner, which covers both the registered and non registered state of partnership.

Technically Imelda is now my "Common Law wife" until we can legally register the marriage as we were prevented fr doing a year ago.

Of course different countries have differing views on these matter, some even having no legal registration at all, so I can only speak for the UK.

Most so-called "Christian" Churches, completely scripturally claimed that if you weren't married in church you weren't married in God's eyes, and whilst that does have some basis in the scriptural idea of marriage it is simply a way of raising money for the church and or it's resident minister.

In fact, in God's eyes the "ceremony" was very simple, and the marriage of Joseph and Mary is a perfect example.

All that happened between the tow is that Joseph "took Mary to his home" in public view. No doubt others had been told this was happening to it would in effect be a public demonstration of their marriage. Though the Jews did hold wedding feasts there is no record of Joseph and Mary having one, possibly because they could not afford one. Anyway the were definitely an "optional extra".

So in reality all God requires is that the commitment be declared publicly, which one and Imelda's has, and that both husband and wife start to meet scriptural requirements for behaving as man and wife, which Imelda and I already do, in all senses. I have made the commitment in front of her, very large family, and in fact n public on my Facebook page, though in fact, that last was Imelda's doing I simply had to confirm that we are "married" which I did

Thus the only element missing is the legal registration, which a change in the system for obtaining the needed affidavit meant I could not get one within the time of my stay in the Philippines.

To go some way towards explaining that, my stay was limited to 30 days, because the UK and Ireland have a special arrangement with the Philippines which means that holders of UK and Irish passports can stay in the Philippines for 30 days without the need for a visa. Because the UK Embassy had switched to an appointment system only a few days before my arrival, I was unable any longer to just walk in and obtain the needed affidavit, and the system had been swamped with applications for appointments, which meant the first appointment I could get was not until a month after I had to be back in the UK.

If not for that unforeseen change Imelda and I would have been married a year ago.

The one positive side of all this is that it has given me a reason to explain fully God's view of marriage, and what comprises one.

Of course a marriage has to be registered in the UK, there are strict rules about it. I know that for a fact as my daughter is vicar, and is responsible for registering the marriages she conducts!

The Bible doesn't give any details about Mary and Joseph tying the knot, so you have no idea if they actually had a ceremony, or if they just lived together! Mary was pregnant by Joseph or another man before she became his wife.

So what you are saying is that you only have to declare to your version of the deity you and your girlfriend are 'married' and you are? Well that is a convenient way of looking at it, lol! So this is your excuse for 'living in sin'? Thank you for giving me a giggle.

I have no problem with people living together without getting married, if they are adults and not cheating on a partner, gay or straight. We were pleased that our two married girls lived with their partners for a couple of years before they entered into the commitment of marriage. My husband and I have been married for 46 years this year and never considered divorce, murder a few times though, lol!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 8:45:47 AM

Yes, the guilt and fear of your abomination to God, where you knowingly broke one his sacred commands having sex out of wedlock, and now even worse, attempting to justify your abomination by lying and saying you are married, when you're obviously not. God will judge you very harshly for both of those.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 8:51:38 AM
The deity is in no position to judge anyone as it is evil, it supposedly got a young girl pregnant!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:01:23 AM
At 2/17/2015 8:23:23 AM, bulproof wrote:
Serial sinner.

I really don't know where you get that from since I am scripturally and legally divorced and so is Imelda.

There has been no adultery in my life for a long time now.

Even for my past "efforts" serial adulterer is a little harsh, but multiple would have been more accurate I am afraid.

However, past is past, and in the eyes of God and Christ, as well as any reasonable, compassionate human being, should remain there.

You judge yourself worse than you judge me in teh eyes of God and Christ. Matthew 7:1-5 definitely applies in your case. "ASV(i) 1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brothers eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye; and lo, the beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brothers eye."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:04:43 AM
At 2/17/2015 8:51:38 AM, JJ50 wrote:
The deity is in no position to judge anyone as it is evil, it supposedly got a young girl pregnant!

God is in the perfect position to judge, since Mary's pregnancy was not through any from of sexual intervention, but through either an act of creation of an egg in her womb, or a form of non-penetrative micro surgery on one of her eggs, neither of which is remotely beyond God's power, since he evidently performed a similar operation on Adam's rib to create Eve.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:05:19 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:01:23 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You judge yourself worse than you judge me in teh eyes of God and Christ. Matthew 7:1-5 definitely applies in your case. "ASV(i) 1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brothers eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye; and lo, the beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brothers eye."

We can post the very verses each and every time YOU judge us here, hypocrite.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:06:40 AM
At 2/17/2015 8:45:47 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Yes, the guilt and fear of your abomination to God, where you knowingly broke one his sacred commands having sex out of wedlock, and now even worse, attempting to justify your abomination by lying and saying you are married, when you're obviously not. God will judge you very harshly for both of those.

That is your judgement based on false teachings, not God's. I have no fear of his judgement, and his spirit causes me to now that.

I guess this applies to you also.

Matthew 7:1-5
ASV(i) 1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brothers eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye; and lo, the beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brothers eye.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:09:13 AM
Serial sinner.

I really don't know where you get that from since I am scripturally and legally divorced and so is Imelda.
Jesus declares that only adultery is a valid reason for divorce, he also says that the only way not to commit adultery is if you remarry the person you committed adultery against. That means that all of your sexual intercourses since your first adultery are just more adultery.
NO! All of your life is adultery.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:10:47 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:05:19 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I don't judge you. I judge what you teach.

Matthew 15:11
ASV(i) 11 Not that which entereth into the mouth defileth the man; but that which proceedeth out of the mouth, this defileth the man.

That most definitely applies to you, thug admittedly it is your keyboard not your actual mouth.

As does this since you insist on bearing false witness against me.

Matthew 15:19
ASV(i) 19 For out of the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, railings:

I am more than happy to leave y judgement to God and Christ.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:11:38 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:09:13 AM, bulproof wrote:
Serial sinner.

Jesus declares that only adultery is a valid reason for divorce, he also says that the only way not to commit adultery is if you remarry the person you committed adultery against. That means that all of your sexual intercourses since your first adultery are just more adultery.
NO! All of your life is adultery.

That's ridiculous, lol. You reveal your true colours yet again.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:14:31 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:10:47 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes, you judge many of us, so stop lying about that.

ASV(i) 11 Not that which entereth into the mouth defileth the man; but that which proceedeth out of the mouth, this defileth the man.

That most definitely applies to you, thug admittedly it is your keyboard not your actual mouth.

Yes, you continue to judge me.

ASV(i) 19 For out of the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, railings:

They will certainly judge you harshly if you indeed believe Scriptures to be 100%.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:21:48 AM
At 2/17/2015 8:39:52 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Of course a marriage has to be registered in the UK, there are strict rules about it. I know that for a fact as my daughter is vicar, and is responsible for registering the marriages she conducts!

The Bible doesn't give any details about Mary and Joseph tying the knot, so you have no idea if they actually had a ceremony, or if they just lived together! Mary was pregnant by Joseph or another man before she became his wife.

So what you are saying is that you only have to declare to your version of the deity you and your girlfriend are 'married' and you are? Well that is a convenient way of looking at it, lol! So this is your excuse for 'living in sin'? Thank you for giving me a giggle.

I have no problem with people living together without getting married, if they are adults and not cheating on a partner, gay or straight. We were pleased that our two married girls lived with their partners for a couple of years before they entered into the commitment of marriage. My husband and I have been married for 46 years this year and never considered divorce, murder a few times though, lol!

Then I suggest you check the legal aspect of it rather than take the word of an active member of demonstrably Apostate church.

If I were you I would also warn her that she falls foul of scripture because of her teachings and therefore is in line for Christ to treat her as he said at Matthew 7:21-23.

In fact get her on here to discuss it with me, or do so yourself if you wish. I love a good discussion on scripture. A debate would be no good and would be too limiting, but I am happy to compare each aspect of her teachings on scripture and prove many of them to be unscriptural, and not according to what Christ taught.

I constantly check my teachings to see that they stay n line with his, not in line with some churches doctrine.

There is no legal requirement of the registration of a marriage and has not been for about 2 decades now.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I did clearly say that a Common Law wife now has almost as much protection as a legally registered wife, but Common Law marriage has not been illegal for many years, if ever.

Maybe yu should look at a few benefits or pension application forms and see if they even mention marriage, and yet they are legal forms.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:23:22 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:04:43 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

God is in the perfect position to judge, since Mary's pregnancy was not through any from of sexual intervention, but through either an act of creation of an egg in her womb, or a form of non-penetrative micro surgery on one of her eggs, neither of which is remotely beyond God's power, since he evidently performed a similar operation on Adam's rib to create Eve.

If you believe that nonsense to be true you will believe anything!
Comrade_Silly_Otter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:26:44 AM
Marriage isn't much of a religious thing in these modern times. However, religion does influence for some people.

Either way, people can be together and not be married. Nothing wrong with that.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:31:57 AM
Serial sinner.

Even for my past "efforts" serial adulterer is a little harsh, but multiple would have been more accurate I am afraid.

However, past is past, and in the eyes of God and Christ, as well as any reasonable, compassionate human being, should remain there.

The scriptures have judged you. You are a serial adulterer and will always remain one. Just like a serial murderer who may not commit a murder for a while, but he is still a serial murderer.
Now shamefully you are presenting yourself as an expert on marriages. You abandoned your children, your wife dumped you because she found you were a serial adulterer. You are a low life obsessed with anal and oral sex and rather than just seeking forgiveness for your sins which are among the most egregious, you preach to others in judgement and wish the end of times for all as a solution for your own immorality. You will be judge alone because you stand alone in your shame and unholy pack with satan. You are the least among even the most wretched. You need to stop corrupting the scriptures with your foul mouth and deranged mind. You have done enough damage. May God spare your Asian friends from the evil abuse they will suffer from a perverted sick man who has lost his soul to the devil who also taught him to quote scriptures.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:37:21 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:26:44 AM, Comrade_Silly_Otter wrote:
Marriage isn't much of a religious thing in these modern times. However, religion does influence for some people.

True, and it isn't a problem at all, except for MCB, who constantly judges the rest of us based on his beliefs that Scriptures is 100% true, yet he himself goes against Scriptures with his lifestyle. We are simply pointing out his blatant hypocrisy.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:03:43 AM

For those who truly follow Christ everything is a "religious thing", our faith, and the scriptures rule every aspect of our lives.

If you want to serve Christ it is not an option, as it was for Christ and the apostles our faith is 24/7/365.

The is why I am always carefully to check what is happening against scriptural principle.

Sometimes circumstances force us to have to rely on God's mercy and understanding, and such is my state at present.

I know that he knows better than I do that it was impossible for me to follow what had planned and why, and he is being patient with me until I get an opportunity to put it right.

He is actually demonstrating his love and mercy in my case, and waiting to see if I do take the first possible opportunity to correct the error that was foisted on me.

I know that I will, and I am sure he is confident of that also.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:06:42 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:37:21 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

True, and it isn't a problem at all, except for MCB, who constantly judges the rest of us based on his beliefs that Scriptures is 100% true, yet he himself goes against Scriptures with his lifestyle. We are simply pointing out his blatant hypocrisy.

I do not judge people, only what they say and do, as I am authorised by God's word and spirit to do.

It is the only means I have of trying to wake people up to their error and helping them to get on course.

Only the "sick" need a "doctor", but what good is that "doctor" if he has nothing to tell him in what ways his prospective patient is "sick"?

Scripture gives me that information to use.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:09:20 AM

In the next age, man will be formed in two bodies who will be perfect partners for each other. They will never be married or divorced.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:11:22 AM

Those who interpret the scriptures literally are deceived of the true deeper meanings of what God has intended for us saints to understand.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:11:23 AM

Strictly speaking no. But those who follow Christ prefer to get their marriages legally registered, even where not legally necessary, as is the case in the UK, in order not to stumble others, which is why I intend to comply with that, as soon as humanly possible.

Unfortunately there are those overly judgemental people who are only looking for something to pull others down by, as the reaction to my honest admission of my current state, which I need not have made, shows.

They reveal themselves to be ones who simply want to bring others down to feel better in themselves, rather than for any positive purpose..
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:14:46 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:23:22 AM, JJ50 wrote:

If you believe that nonsense to be true you will believe anything!

Not quite. I don;t believe the lies that non-believers spread.

I only believe God, his son, and the Apostles, because I am joined with them via holy spirit.

I broke free of Satan's brainwashing many years ago and chose God's brainwashing instead.

The sad thing is that most people con;t realise how thoroughly brainwashed they are and therefore can't break free from it.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:16:48 AM
At 2/17/2015 11:06:42 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 2/17/2015 9:37:21 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I do not judge people, only what they say and do, as I am authorised by God's word and spirit to do.

Yes, by your admittance, you judge people. You are not authorized to judge anyone.

It is the only means I have of trying to wake people up to their error and helping them to get on course.

And yet, the only results we see are you judging people while committing abominations to God, you're a hypocrite who can't even control his sexual desires.

Only the "sick" need a "doctor", but what good is that "doctor" if he has nothing to tell him in what ways his prospective patient is "sick"?

You are not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination.

Scripture gives me that information to use.

The same Scripture you have admitted to not follow when it suits your lifestyle.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 11:21:18 AM
At 2/17/2015 9:14:31 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

They will certainly judge you harshly if you indeed believe Scriptures to be 100%.

On the contrary God would judge me harshly as would his son if I doubted their word.

I have no intention whatever of calling God a liar, or his son who said that his father's word was true from Genesis to Malachi, and frequently quoted from it, as well as always teaching from it.

If the Hebrew Scriptures are true, which they are, so are the Christian Greek Scriptures which are based on them.

It is because of what the scriptures teach me about God's mercy, with the aid of holy spirit. that I know I am OK as long as I correct the error I was forced into on my next visit to the Philippines.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:10:40 PM
At 2/17/2015 11:21:18 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

On the contrary God would judge me harshly as would his son if I doubted their word.

I have no intention whatever of calling God a liar, or his son who said that his father's word was true from Genesis to Malachi, and frequently quoted from it, as well as always teaching from it.

If the Hebrew Scriptures are true, which they are, so are the Christian Greek Scriptures which are based on them.

It is because of what the scriptures teach me about God's mercy, with the aid of holy spirit. that I know I am OK as long as I correct the error I was forced into on my next visit to the Philippines.

Those who do NOT doubt the religious teachings in the new testament do NOT know our Creator. Water baptism has nothing to do with getting to know our Creator.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:20:46 PM
At 2/17/2015 12:10:40 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/17/2015 11:21:18 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Those who do NOT doubt the religious teachings in the new testament do NOT know our Creator. Water baptism has nothing to do with getting to know our Creator.

What would you know about marriage? You are a recovering alcoholic who was also dumped by wife and family. Now you are turning to the scriptures to justify your miserable existence. Funny how the more destitute one gets the more God enters his consciousness. You need to stop preaching and seek healing for your own transgression. Your insanity is not an excuse to mock Christianity. Come back when you have your full faculty in place. You have done enough harm already to family and friends. Why humiliate yourself when you are at your lowest point in life?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 10:54:52 PM
Serial sinner.

What do you think of the following scriptures? ....
Matt 19:8-10
He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

Does that not imply that anyone who marries a divorced person is committing adultery?

1 Cor 7:27-28 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.

Paul recommended that people remain single. He obviously recommends that divorced people don't go looking for new wives.