Jump to topic:

Science?

seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:02:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you believe science can one day answer the God question?

Or

Do you believe science can never answer the God question?

Or do you simply say to this question? "I don't know."
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:29:44 PM
At 2/18/2015 1:02:28 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Or

Science doesn't try to answer the God question since God is irrelevant to science. God is supernatural and science is only concerned with the observable, measurable, material, natural universe we live in.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:39:02 PM
At 2/18/2015 1:29:44 PM, dhardage wrote:

Or

Science doesn't try to answer the God question since God is irrelevant to science. God is supernatural and science is only concerned with the observable, measurable, material, natural universe we live in.

So you choose 'never'. Understood and thank you.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:43:07 PM
At 2/18/2015 1:39:02 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Or

I didn't choose any answer since the question is without merit. I can understand why you would interpret that as 'never' since science will never try to prove or disprove something that cannot be detected or measured and has no means of proving or disproving its existence.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:47:45 PM
At 2/18/2015 1:43:07 PM, dhardage wrote:

Or

I didn't choose any answer since the question is without merit. I can understand why you would interpret that as 'never' since science will never try to prove or disprove something that cannot be detected or measured and has no means of proving or disproving its existence.

Since you understand why. Is it a illogical decision on my part? Or logical?

Since you did not choose. Which one would you choose, it will help my understanding on what people believe with science, please?

Thanks for your time.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:50:08 PM

Or

I would say it depends on which god question.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:01:32 PM
At 2/18/2015 1:50:08 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Or

God/Creator/Intelligent.

The one God concept, not the religious/denominational different ones.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:11:22 PM
At 2/18/2015 1:47:45 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Or

Since you did not choose. Which one would you choose, it will help my understanding on what people believe with science, please?

Thanks for your time.

People don't 'believe with science'. Science makes observations, collects data, hypothesizes a cause, develops and runs experiments to test the hypothesis and repeats the process until it has a hypothesis that stands up under rigorous testing for a long time. It is then declared a Theory, such as Atomic Theory or The Theory of Relativity.

Since observations are critical to science, something that cannot be observed or detected is not within its purview. The concept and the belief that the concept is real then becomes a matter of faith, which does not require rigorous testing or evidence since the object of that faith cannot be so examined.

Thus, the question about whether science will ever answer the so-called 'God question' is moot since no attempt by science will ever be made to test it.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:12:02 PM

Or

Science answers questions about nature, so if God is part of nature, we should be able to detect and measure God, and eventually answer the God question(s).
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:14:14 PM
At 2/18/2015 2:11:22 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/18/2015 1:47:45 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Or

Thanks for your time.

People don't 'believe with science'. Science makes observations, collects data, hypothesizes a cause, develops and runs experiments to test the hypothesis and repeats the process until it has a hypothesis that stands up under rigorous testing for a long time. It is then declared a Theory, such as Atomic Theory or The Theory of Relativity.

Since observations are critical to science, something that cannot be observed or detected is not within its purview. The concept and the belief that the concept is real then becomes a matter of faith, which does not require rigorous testing or evidence since the object of that faith cannot be so examined.

Thus, the question about whether science will ever answer the so-called 'God question' is moot since no attempt by science will ever be made to test it.

No attempt.
Thank you for your time.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:15:11 PM
At 2/18/2015 2:12:02 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Or

Science answers questions about nature, so if God is part of nature, we should be able to detect and measure God, and eventually answer the God question(s).

Thank you for your time.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:34:12 PM
At 2/18/2015 2:01:32 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Or

God/Creator/Intelligent.

That didn't clarify the question for me. The point I'm implicitly raising is that there is no 'one god concept'. There are at least as many 'god questions' as there are definitions for god.

I'd ask you what definition of god you're using here, but I fear it will just turn into a convoluted and meaningless argument. So here's my catch-all answer. If you can formulate your god questions as a scientific hypothesis, then science may one day be able to answer it. Is that sufficiently clear?
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 2:52:44 PM
At 2/18/2015 2:34:12 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Or

God/Creator/Intelligent.

That didn't clarify the question for me. The point I'm implicitly raising is that there is no 'one god concept'. There are at least as many 'god questions' as there are definitions for god.

I'd ask you what definition of god you're using here, but I fear it will just turn into a convoluted and meaningless argument. So here's my catch-all answer. If you can formulate your god questions as a scientific hypothesis, then science may one day be able to answer it. Is that sufficiently clear?

uuummmm
Thank you for your time
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 3:07:11 PM
At 2/18/2015 2:52:44 PM, seeu46 wrote:
At 2/18/2015 2:34:12 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Or

God/Creator/Intelligent.

uuummmm
Thank you for your time

You seem confused. Oh well. Good day.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 5:13:10 PM

I think it already has, SeeU.

The moral and metaphysical authority of ancient scriptures depends on their ability to get key details right in their account of the world: its development, history and operation. Essentially, the more authority scriptures claim, the more easily disproof topples that authority.

And scriptures have claimed absolute authority about everything.

Science therefore doesn't have to debunk every claim in order to show that ancient scriptures have no authority, and more than enough claims have already been debunked in the last few centuries to show that ancient scriptures are ignorant and wrong on every big claim that has been tested.

Since all the God-claims are scriptural, there's now no claim related to God that science must refute. Scripture needs to show why any of its claims must be given more consideration than its numerous false claims. Essentially, no scriptural claim should be viewed as serious any more, and if you want to talk about the origins of the universe (if that's even a meaningful concept) or the nature of man, you now have to start in a different place.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 7:32:49 PM
At 2/18/2015 5:13:10 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

I think it already has, SeeU.

The moral and metaphysical authority of ancient scriptures depends on their ability to get key details right in their account of the world: its development, history and operation. Essentially, the more authority scriptures claim, the more easily disproof topples that authority.

And scriptures have claimed absolute authority about everything.

Science therefore doesn't have to debunk every claim in order to show that ancient scriptures have no authority, and more than enough claims have already been debunked in the last few centuries to show that ancient scriptures are ignorant and wrong on every big claim that has been tested.

Since all the God-claims are scriptural, there's now no claim related to God that science must refute. Scripture needs to show why any of its claims must be given more consideration than its numerous false claims. Essentially, no scriptural claim should be viewed as serious any more, and if you want to talk about the origins of the universe (if that's even a meaningful concept) or the nature of man, you now have to start in a different place.

You think it has. A different answer but an answer none the less.

Thank you for your time.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 10:10:57 PM
At 2/18/2015 7:32:49 PM, seeu46 wrote:
You think it has.

Yes. If scientists thought the existence of an intercessory creator had any relevance to the operation of the universe, they'd still be looking for evidence of such intercession. Back in the 18th century, they were doing just that -- hunting for evidence of Noah's ark say, or seeking the salty remains of Lot's wife.

But they've abandoned all that. Science is interested in everything -- except for very stupid questions. The worst thing science can ever say about a question is "that's not interesting", and the god question has silently been put into that basket. They may not have made a big production out of it, but scientists have voted on the question with their feet.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 10:45:45 PM

Or

God used both science and the prophecies to teach me exactly how He created everything.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 12:18:24 AM
At 2/18/2015 10:45:45 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Or

God used both science and the prophecies to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Thanks for a response.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 2:42:59 AM

Or

I don't know for sure of course, but I think science will be able to solve the question one way or another eventually. I am hopeful it will be a negative where any deity is concerned.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:38:46 AM
At 2/19/2015 2:42:59 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Or

I don't know for sure of course, but I think science will be able to solve the question one way or another eventually. I am hopeful it will be a negative where any deity is concerned.

When scientists finally come to the realization that there is a master designer to the universe we're experiencing, your pride will keep you from agreeing with them.

Psalms 22
27: All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; and all the families of the nations shall worship before him.
28: For dominion belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations.
29: Yea, to him shall all the proud of the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and he who cannot keep himself alive.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 8:04:17 AM

Or

What would be the purpose for God to teach you science? You are a homeless alcoholic in your 60's with no formal education. Why would he waste time telling you how he created everything when anyone can see your immediate concerns should the mess you created that put you in the dog house. Every forum you visited questioned you about your mental state. Get help for your condition.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 8:12:57 AM
At 2/19/2015 8:04:17 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Or

What would be the purpose for God to teach you science? You are a homeless alcoholic in your 60's with no formal education. Why would he waste time telling you how he created everything when anyone can see your immediate concerns should the mess you created that put you in the dog house. Every forum you visited questioned you about your mental state. Get help for your condition.

Most people like yourself can't get past what they observe. They actually believe what they observe is real.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 10:38:01 AM
At 2/19/2015 8:12:57 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Or

Most people like yourself can't get past what they observe. They actually believe what they observe is real.
You never quite understood the observer effect in QM and that is because you are science illiterate. Get an education!!! The observer turns possibilities into reality.

And people like you who suffer from cognitive dissonance cannot get your facts straight.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 10:45:45 AM
At 2/19/2015 10:38:01 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Or

You never quite understood the observer effect in QM and that is because you are science illiterate. Get an education!!! The observer turns possibilities into reality.

And people like you who suffer from cognitive dissonance cannot get your facts straight.

The observer was created by our Creator and anything the observer observes was planned by our Creator. Physicists, Christians and the rest of My people don't understand this yet.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 10:54:18 AM

Or

One says no attempt from science on the God question.
One says science has already answered the God question.
One says it is possible depending on the God question by hypothesis.
And you say I don't know but are hopeful.
Thank you for your time.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 12:09:40 PM
At 2/19/2015 10:54:18 AM, seeu46 wrote:

Or

Thank you for your time.

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

If you listen to My voice, I will tell you why everyone is confused.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 12:17:24 PM
At 2/19/2015 12:09:40 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/19/2015 10:54:18 AM, seeu46 wrote:

Or

Thank you for your time.

If you listen to My voice, I will tell you why everyone is confused.

Including you. Nobody on here is outright stupid enough to predict the date, place, and perpetrators of his own death.

By the way, Brad .... where did you get the idea of the PLACE? Didn't you tell us that God revealed that to you?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 1:24:28 PM
At 2/19/2015 10:45:45 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Or

The observer was created by our Creator and anything the observer observes was planned by our Creator. Physicists, Christians and the rest of My people don't understand this yet.
Why is it then that God did not create you as a saint from the beginning. But instead God let you turn into an alcoholic which was what we all observed was the cause of your demise. You said God does not talk to sinners or saints. But he must talk to alcoholics like you to show you the dog house. Or how would you have ended there?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 9:49:02 AM
At 2/19/2015 1:24:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/19/2015 10:45:45 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Or

Why is it then that God did not create you as a saint from the beginning. But instead God let you turn into an alcoholic which was what we all observed was the cause of your demise. You said God does not talk to sinners or saints. But he must talk to alcoholics like you to show you the dog house. Or how would you have ended there?

He created me as His voice but for the first 54 years of my life in this world, I thought I was created a man like everyone else.