Total Posts:146|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Ask a Muslim

YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 3:44:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Did Aisha have any children or did the prophet ruin her productive organs by marrying her at 6.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 3:51:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

Besides stuff like salvation through works, denial of the divinity of Jesus Christ, and denial of the existence of the Trinity, what other doctrinal differences exist between Christianity and Islam?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:06:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:51:20 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

Besides stuff like salvation through works, denial of the divinity of Jesus Christ, and denial of the existence of the Trinity, what other doctrinal differences exist between Christianity and Islam?

- What does Salvation through works exactly mean?!

- I think, there are certainly many similarities between Christianity & Islam, & equally many differences. But, I think much of these differences are generated form the notion of Tawhid in Islam vs Trinity in Christianity.
> The notion of God is fundamentally different! God in Islam is One, disjoint from His creation, & there are no commonalities between God & all else.
> Free Will: in Islam there is no such thing a real Free Will, it's thus understood as intellect: knowing Right from Wrong.
> Good & Evil: in Islam, God is not Omnibenevolent: he is not Good nor Evil, though he is the originator of both.
> Destiny: in Islam, we believe in absolute predestination, no place for free choice. . .
> Original Sin: in Islam, there is no such thing as Original Sin.
> God's Love: in Islam God doesn't love everybody, & saying that is considered a form of Shirk (a Grave Sin).
> Human actions: in Islam God created Man & his actions.
. . .etc.

- I am not sure if the Christian Tradition agrees with any of that, I am no expert on the Christian Doctrine. But, IMO these will be some of the differences between the two Abrahamic Religions.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:11:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:13:11 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Did Mohammed personally kill anyone?

- He injured one person (Ubayy Ibn Khalaf) when they fought in the battle of Uhud, & he died few days later from that injury. Other than that, No. He actually never laid his hand on anyone for that matter. (Narrated Aisha: "Allah's Messenger never laid a hand on anyone, neither on a women, nor on a servant" [Muslim #2328])
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:15:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

What is your opinion of Christianity?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:30:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 4:15:34 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

What is your opinion of Christianity?

- Well, from a doctrinal point of view, I completely disagree with it. As a Religious Tradition, Christianity has a solid Tradition, & a lot to offer, & as long as it's not abused, it's a force of good for the individual & the society (in this Life of course). & as a Religion itself, we muslims believe in the Torah & the Gospel, & we believe that they are both Revelations like the Qur'an, we just think they have been tempered with, & thus we don't know how much of the Bible is true & how much isn't.
> Narrated Abu Huraira:
The people of the Book used to read the Torah in Hebrew and then explain it in Arabic to the Muslims. The Prophet said: . "Do not believe the people of the Book, nor disbelieve them, but say, 'We believe in Allah and whatever is revealed to us, and whatever is revealed to you.' " [Bukhari #7362]
>>> Meaning: we shouldn't say such & such in the Bible is true, nor false, because we don't know either ; but instead, we should just believe that the Bible in its original form came from God.

- As for Christians, they are called in Islam: the People of the Book, & we are asked to honour them, & protect them, & deal kindly & justly with them, unless they attack us. But, we are forbidden to share their religious allegiance & rites.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Amoranemix
Posts: 521
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 6:05:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
-Harikrish 3
Did Aisha have any children or did the prophet ruin her productive organs by marrying her at 6.
- YassineB
[no response]
It looks like Harikrish has found a tender spot.

YassineB to Vox_Veritas
Good & Evil: in Islam, God is not Omnibenevolent: he is not Good nor Evil, though he is the originator of both.
Is there good reason then to praise, worship or love Allah ?

Here is a video where Ravi Zacharias explains why Christianity is the one true religion :
https://www.youtube.com...

In summary, he says the following :

All major religions are fundamentally different and only superficially the same.

Religions should be evaluated on how they answer these four questions :
Origin, meaning, morality and destiny.
Christianity can best answer those questions according to the criteria of correspondence (with reality or truth) and coherence (with each other). Ravi Zacharias guarantees that only Christianity can do that. He gives the example of the Koran being the only historic document denying the death on the cross of Jesus Christ and a leading Shia cleric confided to him that it is time Muslims reconsider that position and start asking why Jesus died on the cross.

So it looks like if one is to adhere to any religion, it should be Christianity, not Islam.
The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 8:01:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 6:05:08 AM, Amoranemix wrote:
-Harikrish 3
Did Aisha have any children or did the prophet ruin her productive organs by marrying her at 6.
- YassineB
[no response]
It looks like Harikrish has found a tender spot.

- Nope, Harikrish is a troll that can't stop harrassing me. If it was someone else who asked the question I would've answered, & whatever question Harikrish might ask, I will not answer.

Is there good reason then to praise, worship or love Allah ?

- Yes, because He is God.

Here is a video where Ravi Zacharias explains why Christianity is the one true religion :
https://www.youtube.com...

In summary, he says the following :

All major religions are fundamentally different and only superficially the same.

Religions should be evaluated on how they answer these four questions :
Origin, meaning, morality and destiny.

- Islam answers these questions far better than Christianity does, & based on Reason, unlike Christianity, which is mostly based on Faith.

Christianity can best answer those questions according to the criteria of correspondence (with reality or truth) and coherence (with each other).

- First, Christianity with its thousands of denominations disagree on these matters.
- Second, non-christians would obviously also disagree with the Christian view & what constitutes Truth.
- Third, any rigorous philosophical approach will surely find deep incoherences in the Christian world view, & that's not the case for Islam. Christianity was first built as a force of the Supernatural as opposed to the Reasonable (i.e. it doesn't make sense in the mind, & thus needs faith), in contrast, Islam was founded from its beginning on Reason, & thus there are no incoherences.

Ravi Zacharias guarantees that only Christianity can do that. He gives the example of the Koran being the only historic document denying the death on the cross of Jesus Christ

- The Qur'an doesn't deny the Crucifixion, on the opposite, it confirms it. What it denies is the identity of the man crucified, & asserts that it's not Jesus (pbuh) himself, but someone looking like him. Besides, the accounts about the Crucifixion reported in the different Gospels are so inconsistent, it becomes imperative to doubt the Christian claim as well.

a leading Shia cleric confided to him that it is time Muslims reconsider that position and start asking why Jesus died on the cross.

- Any 'Shia' who says that is immediately non-muslim, & thus non-Shia. <<< That's a contradiction, the credibility of Mr. Ravi just dropped exponentially.

So it looks like if one is to adhere to any religion, it should be Christianity, not Islam.

- Says the Christian?! Seriously?!

- Have you examined Islam, like really? Have you studied it?! Did you compare it with Christianity to check which is the Truth?! DO you even really know anything about Islam.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 11:52:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

How do you define God?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 4:24:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 11:52:46 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

How do you define God?

- In Islam God:
> Is Essentially Existent: >> whose existence never fails.
> Is One: >> singular & without parts.
> Has Absolute Free Will: >> Omnipotent & Omniscient.
> Is Disjoint from His creation: >> God is strictly not-not-God, i.e. nothing has anything in common with God.

- God in Islamic Theology is defined as: the One Essential Existence, the Self-Subsistent Omniscient & Omnipotent Absolute Essence, the Creator disjoint from His creation, Transcendent through His Attributes of Exaltedness & Immanent through his Attributes of Beauty.

- In the Qur'an God is defined as the One Absolute God that creates, initiates, designs, sustains, originates, dominates, determines, decrees Everything:
>"Say: He is Allah, the One! The Self-Sufficient Master, the Eternal, the Absolute, the eternally Besought of all, He on Whom all depend. He begets not, nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him." "He is Allah, the Creator, the Initiator, the Designer" "The Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds" "Allah is the Creator of every thing and He has charge over every thing." "Say,: All things are from Allah." "And Allah created you and whatever you do." "And you do not will except that Allah wills - Lord of the worlds." "Your Lord does create and choose as He pleases. In no way do they have the choice. All Extolment be to Allah, and Supremely Exalted be He above whatever they associate (with Him)." "Allah leaves straying those whom He pleases and guides whom He pleases: and He is Exalted in power, full of Wisdom" He punishes whom He pleases, and He grants Mercy to whom He pleases, and to Him you will be returned." "To Him belongs dominion, and to Him belongs all praise, and He has power over all things." . . .
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 4:25:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 12:12:33 PM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Do you approve of this cover?
https://www.youtube.com...

- In what sense do I approve it or not?
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 4:47:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do Muslim men choose to marry girls as young as 6 like the prophet did when he married His child bride Aisha when she was 6 because young Muslim girls are not required to cover their faces or wear burqas to cover/hide their bodies. This way the Muslim men can see who or what they are marrying. Whereas the older Muslim women are always covered and the men don't know what they are going to get picking them out of a group of aging covered females possibly rejected for the same reason.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 4:57:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 4:47:30 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Do Muslim men choose to marry girls as young as 6 like the prophet did when he married His child bride Aisha when she was 6 because young Muslim girls are not required to cover their faces or wear burqas to cover/hide their bodies. This way the Muslim men can see who or what they are marrying. Whereas the older Muslim women are always covered and the men don't know what they are going to get picking them out of a group of aging covered females possibly rejected for the same reason.

- & where is the question?! If you don't have an honest question, I won't answer you.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 5:09:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

What would you say to a christian to convince him/her to convert to islam?

What would you say to a member of ISIS to make them renounce ISIS?
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 5:10:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 4:57:20 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 2/20/2015 4:47:30 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Do Muslim men choose to marry girls as young as 6 like the prophet did when he married His child bride Aisha when she was 6 because young Muslim girls are not required to cover their faces or wear burqas to cover/hide their bodies. This way the Muslim men can see who or what they are marrying. Whereas the older Muslim women are always covered and the men don't know what they are going to get picking them out of a group of aging covered females possibly rejected for the same reason.

- & where is the question?! If you don't have an honest question, I won't answer you.

The question is. Do Muslim men marry girls as young as 6 because they can see what and who they are marrying because older women unlike young girls are fully covered and the men don't want to be surprised?
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 5:20:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 5:09:43 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

What would you say to a christian to convince him/her to convert to islam?

- "Study Islam".

What would you say to a member of ISIS to make them renounce ISIS?

- "Learn Islam from the Scholars, not from yourself".
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 5:22:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 5:20:33 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 2/20/2015 5:09:43 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

What would you say to a christian to convince him/her to convert to islam?

- "Study Islam".

What would you say to a member of ISIS to make them renounce ISIS?

- "Learn Islam from the Scholars, not from yourself".

These are terribly vague answers.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 5:37:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 5:22:14 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/20/2015 5:20:33 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 2/20/2015 5:09:43 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

What would you say to a christian to convince him/her to convert to islam?

- "Study Islam".

What would you say to a member of ISIS to make them renounce ISIS?

- "Learn Islam from the Scholars, not from yourself".

These are terribly vague answers.

- The best short answers I could come up with :) . More detailed answers will depend much on the person, his way of thinking, his issues, his background, his tolerance, whether he is more the intellectual type or the spiritual type, it depends. But, I think, the course of action will be me answering properly the questions of the other, until he is convinced.

- I have had experience with all sorts of religious & irreligious people, & each has his/her own combination of arguments. However, I only ever succeeded in converting one Christian, though I helped a lot of other converts.

- As for the fanatic muslims, I usually win them over quickly, sometimes it may take hours or even days. The least amount of time I spent with a fanatic is few minutes, when I showed him that a verse from the Qur'an could not possibly mean what he thought it meant, it completely blew his mind, & he kinda started revising everything he knew. <<< I am here talking about simple fanatics (moderate fanatics), not those who are fixated on killing people, you come to figure out that these types are just ex-criminals that 'found' God, much like born-agains, they obviously don't listen to anything nor to anyone. & I don't ever wish to meet any of them, I'd fear for my life, if they think I am an apostate or something.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 6:02:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 5:37:18 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 2/20/2015 5:22:14 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/20/2015 5:20:33 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 2/20/2015 5:09:43 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

What would you say to a christian to convince him/her to convert to islam?

- "Study Islam".

What would you say to a member of ISIS to make them renounce ISIS?

- "Learn Islam from the Scholars, not from yourself".

These are terribly vague answers.

- The best short answers I could come up with :) . More detailed answers will depend much on the person, his way of thinking, his issues, his background, his tolerance, whether he is more the intellectual type or the spiritual type, it depends. But, I think, the course of action will be me answering properly the questions of the other, until he is convinced.

- I have had experience with all sorts of religious & irreligious people, & each has his/her own combination of arguments. However, I only ever succeeded in converting one Christian, though I helped a lot of other converts.

- As for the fanatic muslims, I usually win them over quickly, sometimes it may take hours or even days. The least amount of time I spent with a fanatic is few minutes, when I showed him that a verse from the Qur'an could not possibly mean what he thought it meant, it completely blew his mind, & he kinda started revising everything he knew. <<< I am here talking about simple fanatics (moderate fanatics), not those who are fixated on killing people, you come to figure out that these types are just ex-criminals that 'found' God, much like born-agains, they obviously don't listen to anything nor to anyone. & I don't ever wish to meet any of them, I'd fear for my life, if they think I am an apostate or something.

Much better answers, thanks.
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 6:22:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

Why are you muslim?
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 6:25:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 6:02:13 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Much better answers, thanks.

- Thank you, & you're welcome.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 6:49:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 6:22:55 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.

Why are you muslim?

- Well, for uncountable reasons. I believe God exists, through both reason & meaning, & I believe God deserves to be worshipped, & I believe God created our intellect to know Truth from Falsehood, & so they are different & thus both should cause different effects on us. & thus each will be designated to what corresponds best to it, either rewarded or punished.
- & the main reason I chose Islam is because of its unique concept of Tawhid: God is One. It's simple, as strait-forward as any definition of God can be, & conforms best to common sense, reason, & intuition. The God as described in Islam is truly Absolute, everything originated directly from Him no exception, everything is equally insignificant to Him, everything is strictly decreed by Him, He does whatever He pleases, & no one can say otherwise, He is not obligated to conform to any human conception nor to any moral or even to His own promises, He has zero humans' or creatures' attributes. . . basically, the kind of God that truly deserves to be worshipped, loved & feared.
- Also, I didn't have to face the problems associated with the Trinity, Free Will, Evil & Good. . .
- Also, I believe that if any Religion is True, it should at least have an intact Book, completely untempered with. & the only Religion who makes that claim is Islam.
- Also, I believe that Revelation & Reason are two faces of the same coin, & thus they must go together. & Islam was the only choice where this combination was truly in effect, for Islam was founded on that principal from its very beginning, whereas other great religions relied much more on faith, even after introducing Reason into them.
. . .etc.

- Overall, Islam to me makes perfect sense, & answers all possible questions the best way, & is consistent throughout.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 7:06:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 5:10:29 PM, Harikrish wrote:
The question is. Do Muslim men marry girls as young as 6 because they can see what and who they are marrying because older women unlike young girls are fully covered and the men don't want to be surprised?

- Muslim men can't marry 6 years old! That's nonsense. Marriage in Islam is validated through a Contract, & thus, unless the Contract is concluded the actual Marriage can't happen.

- Here is how the marriage goes:

Engagement (Khutuba) >>> Contract ('Aq'd) >>> Establishment (Binaa).

- Engagement:
* Here, either the man asks the woman for marriage or the opposite, with the presence of her guardian (father). In the girl is a virgin, then both her & her father are required to accept the proposal, if any of the two doesn't, the engagement may not take place, unless the father is not the guardian. In that case, i.e. if the guardian is not the father (either due to him losing that right, or him being unavailable), then only the girl's permission is needed. If the girl is not a virgin, only she may decide to either accept or reject the proposal, her guardian thus is simply the middleman.
* During the Engagement, the man proposing is allowed to see who he is proposing to: her face, hair, neck, arms, feet & legs, with the presence of her guardian. & if in doubt, he is allowed to see as much as needed.

- Contract: the Marriage Contract consists of a series of Stipulations. Approved Stipulations by Islamic Law are valid stipulations, Unapproved Stipulations are ignored even if they appear in the Contract, Invalid Stipulations make the Contract invalid as well.

> Among the Valid Stipulations, there are some that come by default with the Contract, & therefore can not be changed, they are effective whether they appear on the Contract or not. They are as follows:
* The Husband must pay the Dower: a valuable sum given to the Bride by the Groom > Its Amount & its Nature (Cash, Gold, Jewellery..) is decided by the Bride.
* The Husband must assume all the 7 Obligatory Expanses: Housing, Nutrition, Clothing, Furniture, the Help, Medical Care, Ornaments (& also, if possible, secondary expanses such as Education...) for his Wife & their Children.
* The Husband must pay the Zakat (taxes).
* The Husband must agree to pay the Blood-money or the Restitutions (In case the Wife happens to kill someone by mistake or destroy a property by mistake)
* The Husband must agree to pay the alimony to his Wife: if they separate, or if she is pregnant with his son, or have children with him (for a designated period, depending on which case is it).
* The Husband may not be absent from his Wife for more than 4 consecutive months.
* The Husband may not leave his Wife's bed (sex) for more than 4 consecutive months.
* The Husband may not visit the Wife's parents without her consent.
* The Husband may not stop his wife from going to a mosque for prayer.
* The Husband may not hit his Wife, unless as prescribed in Shari'a.
* The Husband may not have any control over his Wife's Wealth unless with her permission.
... (etc).
* The Wife must comply to the will of her Husband when he asks her to bed (meaning if the husband asks her to have sex, the wife must comply, unless she is physically or morally not able to, or for a legitimate reason) <<< If the wife doesn't comply for no reason, her husband can't force her, that's not allowed.
* The Wife may not bring anyone into her Husband's house without his permission.
* The Wife must preserve the Wealth & the Honour of her Husband when he is absent.
... (etc)
=>>> These Stipulations aren't just suggestions, a breach of any of these is a direct ground for Divorce.

> Some of the Valid Stipulations are Conditional Agreements, such as: - The Husband may not marry a 2nd Wife without the consent of the 1st. or - The Husband may only marry a 2nd wife after Divorcing the 1st...

> Some of the Unapproved Stipulations are those that contradicts the Norms of the Country. Example: If the Norms of the Country suggest that wives normally cook for husbands, putting a condition that is against this custom is ineffective. & the opposite is true too.

> Cooking & Cleaning (. . . etc) are not obligations on the Wife. In fact, if the wife refuses to cook or clean, it becomes an Obligation on the Husband to do so. In the Hanafi Madhahb, wives can only cook & clean for a fee, if they don't get paid, they don't cook. Still, if the Wife chooses to please her Husband by cooking for him she'll be rewarded greatly.

- Binaa: it's the process where the bride moves from under the care of father, to the care of her new husband, subsequent to which, all her expanses fall to the husband & no longer to the guardian. The Binaa can only take place under these conditions:
* The Marriage Contract is concluded (with the Dower & everything).
* Both the bride & the groom are sexually able & both are over the age of 9.
* Neither are forced or coerced or duped into the marriage.

=> After Binaa, sexual intercourse is allowed, & thus before Binaa the wife-to-be & the husband-to-be are strangers to each-other, like any other strangers.

- Now, the minimum age of the newly weds is called a Thari'a Mursala (Pending Medium). There are there types of Thari'a (Medium: means to an end):
1. Thari'a Mamnu'a (Blocked Medium): means that are blocked by Shari'a. Such as alcohol is means to commit crimes.
2. Thari'a Mubaha (Open Medium): means that are opened by Shari'a, & thus can not be opened. Such as planting vineyards, these are means to a end which is: Wine. But they are open, because grapes in vineyards can still be consumed without turned into Wine.
3. Thari'a Mursala: (Pending Medium): means to an end that are 'blank', & thus have to be filled with the Situation at hand.

=> The age of the bride/groom (over 9) is a means to an end, that is: Marriage. & since it's neither Blocked nor Opened, it must depend on the circumstances, & this case, on the Norms.
=> Point being, in a society where Marriage among young people is against its current customs, it thus becomes Blocked, & thus Unlawful.

- Finally, if there is any or Harm or Hardship brought unto any party of the Marriage, it will thus be annulled.
* The Five Major Universal Maxims of Shari'a read:
1. Matters are to be judged in light of their objectives: An objective that brings benefit and prevents harm.
2. That which is established with certainty is not removed by doubt.
3. Hardship begets ease.
4. Harm should be removed.
5. Norms are legally binding.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 7:12:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.
Which Sect do you belong to and why that Sect?
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 7:23:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 7:12:09 PM, Composer wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.
Which Sect do you belong to and why that Sect?

- Sects in Islam are understood more as denominations of Schools of Thought, rather than forms of cults or something.

- Thus, I am Maliki in Fidh, Ash'ari in Aqueedah, & Junaidi in Tasawuf. In other words, I follow:
> The Maliki Legal School of Thought.
> The Ash'ari Theological School of Thought.
> The Junaidi Mystical School of Thought (Sufism).

- To understand what that means, let me make a short intro: >>> Islam has 3 dimensions: "Islam' (relating to one"s actions), "Iman' (relating to one"s beliefs), "Ihsan' (relating to one"s spirituality), each with its pillars.

1. The Physical Dimension: which deals with the body (actions & practices); it is described through the Sciences of Jurisprudence ("Fiqh'). There are currently 5 major Legal Schools of Thought in the Muslim World: Maliki Madhab, Shafi"i Madhab, Hanafi Madhab, Hanbali Madhab (all Sunni) & Ja"fari Madhab (Shia). (named after their respective founders in the 8th century, Madhab means School of Thought).

2- The Intellectual Dimension: which deals with the mind (beliefs & convictions), described through the Sciences of Theology ("Aqeedah" or "Kalam"). There are currently 3 major Theological Schools of Thought: Ash"ari Madhab (the majority: 88%), Athari Madhab (1.7%, Salafi adopted mainly by Saudi Arabia), Mu"tazili Madhab (10%, "Usuli' adopted by the Shia).

3- The Spiritual Dimension: which deals with the soul (spirituality & intentions), described through the Sciences of Mysticism (called 'Tasawuf' or "Sufism'). There are currently 5 major Mystic Schools of Thought: Junaidya, Rifa"ya, Shathilya, Qadirya & Tijanya.

- I hope I was clear enough. :)
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 10:09:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/20/2015 7:12:09 PM, Composer wrote:
At 2/19/2015 3:12:04 PM, YassineB wrote:
Well, fire away. :)

Nobody wants to debate it, so let's just discuss it here.
Which Sect do you belong to and why that Sect?

At 2/20/2015 7:23:03 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Sects in Islam are understood more as denominations of Schools of Thought, rather than forms of cults or something.

- Thus, I am Maliki in Fidh, Ash'ari in Aqueedah, & Junaidi in Tasawuf. In other words, I follow:
> The Maliki Legal School of Thought.
> The Ash'ari Theological School of Thought.
> The Junaidi Mystical School of Thought (Sufism).

- To understand what that means, let me make a short intro: >>> Islam has 3 dimensions: "Islam' (relating to one"s actions), "Iman' (relating to one"s beliefs), "Ihsan' (relating to one"s spirituality), each with its pillars.

1. The Physical Dimension: which deals with the body (actions & practices); it is described through the Sciences of Jurisprudence ("Fiqh'). There are currently 5 major Legal Schools of Thought in the Muslim World: Maliki Madhab, Shafi"i Madhab, Hanafi Madhab, Hanbali Madhab (all Sunni) & Ja"fari Madhab (Shia). (named after their respective founders in the 8th century, Madhab means School of Thought).

2- The Intellectual Dimension: which deals with the mind (beliefs & convictions), described through the Sciences of Theology ("Aqeedah" or "Kalam"). There are currently 3 major Theological Schools of Thought: Ash"ari Madhab (the majority: 88%), Athari Madhab (1.7%, Salafi adopted mainly by Saudi Arabia), Mu"tazili Madhab (10%, "Usuli' adopted by the Shia).

3- The Spiritual Dimension: which deals with the soul (spirituality & intentions), described through the Sciences of Mysticism (called 'Tasawuf' or "Sufism'). There are currently 5 major Mystic Schools of Thought: Junaidya, Rifa"ya, Shathilya, Qadirya & Tijanya.

- I hope I was clear enough. :)

Well the following details what YOU claim as ' schools of thought ' as = SECTS!

73 Sects / Denominations / Schisms in fact - (Sects in Islam, Source: http://www.real-islam.org...)

NB: 73 differing ones!

ALL no doubt claiming to be the only valid one among them!