Jump to topic:

Ask a Christian

Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:13:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well I think the title speaks for itself. But of course there are rules.

1: Ask questions in a respectfully non-pejorative way.
2: Don't ask about apocryphal material, as it's not apart of actual Christian material.
3: This is for the philosophical questions, not scientific questions.
4: Stupid questions will be ignored. This includes questions posted purely as faith-bashing.

Understand also that not every denomination may be represented, as there are too many to do so with. You are most likely to receive a protestant response.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:46:26 PM
At 2/19/2015 4:13:29 PM, Unitomic wrote:

2: Don't ask about apocryphal material, as it's not apart of actual Christian material.
4: Stupid questions will be ignored. This includes questions posted purely as faith-bashing.

Understand also that not every denomination may be represented, as there are too many to do so with. You are most likely to receive a protestant response.

This may be a really dumb question, but are you a Christian?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:49:55 PM
At 2/19/2015 4:46:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Who better to answer questions about the religion?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:50:39 PM
At 2/19/2015 4:49:55 PM, Unitomic wrote:

So that's a yes?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 4:51:03 PM
At 2/19/2015 4:50:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/19/2015 4:49:55 PM, Unitomic wrote:

So that's a yes?
Yes.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 5:18:00 PM

Are your parents Christian?
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 5:24:12 PM

Also is it appropriate for Christians to make statements like this:
"Aww, he thinks he is special enough that we care if he quits. How about you get a butthurt ointment prescription, and try coming back"

Just curious on what is the model behavior for Christians.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Badger_10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 6:02:12 PM

I made a forum post asking this already, but I might as well ask you directly.

Would a loving and eternal God send someone to burn in Hell for all eternity for something they did in the average human lifespan of 70-80 years?

80 years compared to eternity?

Eternity is a long time, after all. And wouldn't God understand if we couldn't find reason in some of the Bible's teachings? Wouldn't he be more understanding of nonbelievers?

Thanks for your time.
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 6:29:25 PM
At 2/19/2015 6:02:12 PM, Badger_10 wrote:

I made a forum post asking this already, but I might as well ask you directly.

Would a loving and eternal God send someone to burn in Hell for all eternity for something they did in the average human lifespan of 70-80 years?

80 years compared to eternity?

Eternity is a long time, after all. And wouldn't God understand if we couldn't find reason in some of the Bible's teachings? Wouldn't he be more understanding of nonbelievers?

Thanks for your time.

There are many different idea's as to what hell is. Many believe that hell is actually a world separate from Heaven, where God simply doesn't act. It wouldn't have any hell fire or be a world of physical darkness. It would appear to be a nightmare to true Christians, so the theory goes. Most people may not believe it, but most people spend their time focusing on other parts of the faith, so the details of hell tend not to cross their mind.

Another theory though is that "hell" is simply non-existence, a horrible thought for those who try to imagine it. Overall, many Christians are reinterpreting the idea of what Hell is, and in religious texts, it's easy to imagine that a description of a place which these people haven't physically been to is simply metaphorical of the persons view of it. I do personally subscribe to the idea that it's just a plane of existence where God doesn't take part in. This is a big deal to many Christians, because many Christians believe that without God's interference, we would likely have done far greater damage to our planet (remember all the times they said Climate Change would have cause so much more damage by this point? Many Christians believe it hasn't because of Divine Interference).

But we also have to question whether our views on morality hold up to him? The morals against torture (baring in mind that many don't view hell as fire and brimstone) are not example natural human morals. They have not appeared in large quantity throughout history until the last century or two. A thousand or more years ago, a massive number of people believed that fiery torture was fitting for us (after all, one sin isn't big, but a life time creates a lot of pain and suffering in others, and that's what you're punished for). We should try to remember how fragile and constantly changing our morality is. We can't treat a modern morality as though it's a universal truth. And God existed infinitely longer then the entire human species. It's somewhat arrogant to declare a morality that is changes constantly to be paramount over a his own personal morality held since time begin. Most people don't like hearing that answer, but it's the answer I have.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 6:37:16 PM

Some people believe there are apparent contradictions in the Bible. What do you think of this?
You can call me Mark if you like.
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:12:31 PM
At 2/19/2015 6:37:16 PM, debate_power wrote:

Some people believe there are apparent contradictions in the Bible. What do you think of this?

Depends on how it's interpreted. As I've said before, much of the bible isn't suppose to be literal. Of course contradictions are the least of our problems if we take everything in the bible literally. Some things seem to contradict although they situations and context are very different. It depends on which contradiction you pull up.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:24:38 PM

What is your opinion of Judaism and Islam? Are their holy books valid in your opinion?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:34:36 PM
At 2/19/2015 7:24:38 PM, SamStevens wrote:

What is your opinion of Judaism and Islam? Are their holy books valid in your opinion?

we consider Judaism's holy books to be technically valid, since Christianity is viewed as a continuation of Judaism. As for Islam, we do not consider it valid as we don't recognize any future major addition past Christ (his sacrifice is kind of suppose to be that final addition)