Jump to topic:

Challenge to the Christians

DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 5:37:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a question, are there any Christians on this site that are not hypocrites? I ask because many on this site term themselves as Christian but clearly do not follow the doctrine. I see them hurling insults, aggravating other members, and some cases trying to put a threat out.

Would Jesus of Nazareth be proud of your behavior? I think not. Then again, Jesus of Nazareth knew there was a reason why he had 12 disciples or 70/72 if you read Luke, Jesus knew better than to affiliate with the fakes, frauds, and hypocrites. Most of you are probably Christian due to circumstances as opposed to personal conviction or resolution.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 5:51:59 PM
At 2/19/2015 5:37:40 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
I have a question, are there any Christians on this site that are not hypocrites? I ask because many on this site term themselves as Christian but clearly do not follow the doctrine. I see them hurling insults, aggravating other members, and some cases trying to put a threat out.

Would Jesus of Nazareth be proud of your behavior? I think not. Then again, Jesus of Nazareth knew there was a reason why he had 12 disciples or 70/72 if you read Luke, Jesus knew better than to affiliate with the fakes, frauds, and hypocrites. Most of you are probably Christian due to circumstances as opposed to personal conviction or resolution.

I'm sure I've been guilty of hypocrisy lots of times in my life, but over all, I think I'm pretty pleasant and swell chap.

Jesus was no cuddly teddy bear when it came to addressing those he opposed or that opposed him. Take a look at Matthew 23. Jesus could be quite harsh toward other people, even more so than a lot of Christians here.

And as far as Jesus associating with fakes, frauds, and hypocrites, Jesus had a reputation for associating with sinners, and when confronted with it, his answer was, "It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick" (Luke 5:31).
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Badger_10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 6:06:03 PM

I'm sure Christians as a whole are a pretty decent group of people, since I know a fair amount in real life who are pretty nice.

Just being religious doesn't necessarily make you more moral or nicer than everyone else; there's more to it than that, as you probably know.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 9:02:05 PM

As a Christian, I have been hypocritical, and when I do, it's wrong. I cringe when I see people who claim to be Christians behave in nasty or juvenile ways here, and I try to avoid them. Christ would probably have rebuked them, if they really are in the wrong. The disciples were not chosen because they were perfect, they bickered too. (You're mixing up the 70 disciples, who included many women, and the Chosen 12 disciples, later called Apostles. Luke, who mentions the 70, is also the one who wrote Acts, which talks about the 12 in the selection of Judas Iscariot's replacement. Acts 1:13)
Keep in mind the title of Christian carries a lot of weight with it, that's why EVERY US President so far has claimed to be Christian, when several obviously weren't. Joel Olstien has a HUGE following as a "pastor" but him and his wife preach what we call a "gospel of prosperity" contrary to everything Jesus said. Just because someone claims to be something doesn't mean they are.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 9:11:55 PM

Are you stupid? There is no man who is not a hypocrite! That cannot be denied, and as such, if we are hypocritical without religion then will we not be with it?
It's very wrong and shameful on our part, and a major problem many of us, including myself, need to fix.
I dont understand why you are so surprised. Get a grip dude. If a professing Christian is acting more like a moron than a professing Christian, ignore him/her, or seeing as how you have a good thought in how we are to act that is, surprisingly, somewhat based on Scripture, use that.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 10:10:49 PM
It does an Egyptian good to see that Jews and Christians are still worshiping God in our old astro-theological ways, e.g. the good old Sun God number of "12 Disciples" conveniently mirroring the 12 Signs of the Zodiac that the sun moves through during the course of the year. And let's not ever forget Osiris 70 days between his death and resurrection, that "70" number popping up all through our Jewish texts and into New Testament ones too. "42"? Oh yeah, that was the number of our major Egyptian gods so of course have to capture that number for Judaism and Christianity. But the spiritual truth remains: Judaism and Christianity basic tenets are all borrowed ones from older pagan religions, borrowed without attribution and sold to Jews and Christians as "original" to Judaism when these ideas never were. Such as the earthly torah concocted by priests of Judah that now causes rabbis to not know the true historical origin of the word "Torah" in ancient Egyptian worship, that story one I will be posting soon after any rabbi accepts my challenge to tell us the origin of the word "Torah".
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 10:32:51 PM
At 2/19/2015 10:10:49 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
It does an Egyptian good to see that Jews and Christians are still worshiping God in our old astro-theological ways, e.g. the good old Sun God number of "12 Disciples" conveniently mirroring the 12 Signs of the Zodiac that the sun moves through during the course of the year. And let's not ever forget Osiris 70 days between his death and resurrection, that "70" number popping up all through our Jewish texts and into New Testament ones too. "42"? Oh yeah, that was the number of our major Egyptian gods so of course have to capture that number for Judaism and Christianity. But the spiritual truth remains: Judaism and Christianity basic tenets are all borrowed ones from older pagan religions, borrowed without attribution and sold to Jews and Christians as "original" to Judaism when these ideas never were. Such as the earthly torah concocted by priests of Judah that now causes rabbis to not know the true historical origin of the word "Torah" in ancient Egyptian worship, that story one I will be posting soon after any rabbi accepts my challenge to tell us the origin of the word "Torah".

I see the pot supply is holding out pretty well this winter, eh?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 10:46:10 PM
At 2/19/2015 9:02:05 PM, Skynet wrote:

As a Christian, I have been hypocritical, and when I do, it's wrong. I cringe when I see people who claim to be Christians behave in nasty or juvenile ways here, and I try to avoid them. Christ would probably have rebuked them, if they really are in the wrong. The disciples were not chosen because they were perfect, they bickered too. (You're mixing up the 70 disciples, who included many women, and the Chosen 12 disciples, later called Apostles. Luke, who mentions the 70, is also the one who wrote Acts, which talks about the 12 in the selection of Judas Iscariot's replacement. Acts 1:13)
Keep in mind the title of Christian carries a lot of weight with it, that's why EVERY US President so far has claimed to be Christian, when several obviously weren't. Joel Olstien has a HUGE following as a "pastor" but him and his wife preach what we call a "gospel of prosperity" contrary to everything Jesus said. Just because someone claims to be something doesn't mean they are.

Yeh...so? Atheism is a relatively new thing-although it pre-dates the US republic, public acceptability to atheism is a very new thing. In old days, professors would lose their post (ex. Fichte) if they were convicted of being an atheist. Even God-loving Spinoza was called an atheist in his times.
praise the lord Chin Chin
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:04:24 AM

As Hot Chocolate used to sing.... Everyone's a sinner baby.... That's the truth.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:36:46 AM

If someone comes across as sincere then this is the way I will respond. If someone is here with an agenda, to promote atheism or a false religion, then I am going to answer the fool as his folly deserves as per Proverbs 25:5:

"Answer a fool as his folly deserves, That he not be wise in his own eyes."

Generally, it is not hard to figure out when someone has an ulterior motive by their words. Words reveal what is in the heart.

Proverbs 23:7
For as he thinks within himself, so he is. He says to you, "Eat and drink!" But his heart is not with you.

A false worldview needs to be torn down. Would you want to believe a lie? How do you do that? One way is to start be showing the falsity of that belief and by placing yourself in the shoes of the one holding the belief and showing the irony of holding the belief.

God uses His word to confound the wise yet today we live in an age of utter skeptics. You have to show them the utter hopelessness of the worldview they hold or as Jesus said:

Matthew 7:24-28New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The Two Foundations

24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell"and great was its fall."

28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching;

Jesus knew why He had twelve disciples. What is that reason? Do you know?

Peter
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:54:31 AM
Thanks to everyone who commented. I wanted to know what was the take on the appropriate behavior for Christians. I think I have received answers that were detailed and very thoughtful. Many thanks.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Tylered
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 5:22:21 PM
At 2/19/2015 10:46:10 PM, 18Karl wrote:
At 2/19/2015 9:02:05 PM, Skynet wrote:

Yeh...so? Atheism is a relatively new thing-although it pre-dates the US republic, public acceptability to atheism is a very new thing. In old days, professors would lose their post (ex. Fichte) if they were convicted of being an atheist. Even God-loving Spinoza was called an atheist in his times.

Actually aitheism has been around since 4th century BC. Diagoras of Melos
The term Atheist is relatively new. Not the ideal.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 6:56:18 PM
At 2/20/2015 12:36:46 AM, PGA wrote:
A false worldview needs to be torn down. Would you want to believe a lie? How do you do that? One way is to start be showing the falsity of that belief and by placing yourself in the shoes of the one holding the belief and showing the irony of holding the belief.
You mean religious worldviews?
I agree.