Jump to topic:

Religion: Theoretical choice?

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:53:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ok, I'm going to use the Muslim burka as my example but it isn't confined to that.

Do you honestly think that people in your community have the REAL choice not to wear the burka? I just don't know if that is true...
It is not only part of your religion, it is part of your culture. People can recognise an someone, who otherwise would seem like any other person, as a Muslim simply because of the burka.
You're not literally forced to wear it, so you have the theoretical choice... but what IS the choice? If the alternative is not wear the burka and be disrespected in your community, how is that a choice?
Let me reiterate:
If the choices are wear the burka, without consequence or don't wear the burka, without consequence, that's fine. Those are not the choices.
You can either wear it and be seen as different from outside your community or not wear it and be seen as different from inside your community.
What do you think?
(I realise I'm talking almost directly to InsertNameHere but obviously everyone will have something to say.)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:58:28 PM
Well firstly, in some situations wearing the burqa isn't a choice(Taliban rule in Afghanistan is an example of this, but they're nutters). However, as I've mentioned in the other thread, covering the face isn't an obligation. It's a symbol of fundamentalism. So yea, in reality choosing whether to cover the face or not is usually a personal choice aside from a few exceptions. Most women just go with the simpler option and cover their hair.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:03:26 PM
I was talking about the option of covering their hair or not.

Muh threads
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:06:20 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:03:26 PM, tvellalott wrote:

It does talk about covering the hair in islamic scriptures, yes. There are also talk of that in the Old Testament as well although it's rarely followed. There is a minority within christianity that do actually veil though.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:07:00 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:06:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It does talk about covering the hair in islamic scriptures, yes. There are also talk of that in the Old Testament as well although it's rarely followed. There is a minority within christianity that do actually veil though.

But do you cover your hair?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:08:48 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:07:00 PM, annhasle wrote:

Not all the time due to certain circumstances, but I do.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:09:25 PM
I think that religious people like to think that they have the convenience of choice, but in the texts, there's usually passages that say these things are required, not choices.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:09:59 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:08:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

And if you were to never cover your hair, would you be treated differently by other Muslims?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:10:59 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:09:59 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/10/2010 6:08:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

And if you were to never cover your hair, would you be treated differently by other Muslims?

I think it would probably depend on the group of muslims and how liberal or conservative they are, etc.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:18:14 PM
If your scriptures demand it, you don't have a choice.
If you have to think about whether it's acceptable or not, you don't have a choice.
I do believe that we will see a growing number of Muslim woman living in the West not wearing Burka all the time or even at all.

Muh threads
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:22:12 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:18:14 PM, tvellalott wrote:
If your scriptures demand it, you don't have a choice.

You're right. Covering the hair is an obligation although there's some muslim women who still don't. Soon I'll strive to always cover my hair. It's a must in prayer btw.

If you have to think about whether it's acceptable or not, you don't have a choice.

That's where controversy comes in. There's those women who are being forced to cover more than just their hair, and are being forced to cover their face as well. I view covering as acceptable as long as it's the woman's choice and not somebody else's choice that is being forced on to her by a male relative.

I do believe that we will see a growing number of Muslim woman living in the West not wearing Burka all the time or even at all.

It's a tiny minority in the west who cover their entire face.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 8:40:25 PM
There are some circumstances when a Muslim can choose not to wear a head covering. However, there are no circumstances, none whatsoever, when a modern Liberal can choose not to recycle. It's good to keep that in mind when comparing the strengths of traditional and modern faiths.