Jump to topic:

Kairos

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:59:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Well, I am going to be a Senior in high school this year. At my school (parochial), the administration offers Seniors three "opportunities" to attend an event known as "Kairos." Essentially, Kairos is a three-day event in which students leave school, arrive at a secret area, and pretty much spend almost all of their time praying, doing something associated with Catholicism, and avoiding sleep.

I don't find anything about Kairos appealing. Seniors are not forced to go on Kairos, but my parents are making me go later on in the year. I'd like to know if there is anything that I can possibly do to get out of this situation, especially since I may be eighteen when my parents are forcing me to go. My mother is one of those born-again Christians who is strict about attending Sunday church (which I also try to get out of, because it doesn't do much for me) and anything that involves Christian values. My father is also one of the sorts who feels the need to control others. Essentially, I'd like to know if there is anything legally or domestically that could be done about this.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:06:05 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:59:46 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Well, I am going to be a Senior in high school this year. At my school (parochial), the administration offers Seniors three "opportunities" to attend an event known as "Kairos." Essentially, Kairos is a three-day event in which students leave school, arrive at a secret area, and pretty much spend almost all of their time praying, doing something associated with Catholicism, and avoiding sleep.

I don't find anything about Kairos appealing. Seniors are not forced to go on Kairos, but my parents are making me go later on in the year. I'd like to know if there is anything that I can possibly do to get out of this situation, especially since I may be eighteen when my parents are forcing me to go. My mother is one of those born-again Christians who is strict about attending Sunday church (which I also try to get out of, because it doesn't do much for me) and anything that involves Christian values. My father is also one of the sorts who feels the need to control others. Essentially, I'd like to know if there is anything legally or domestically that could be done about this.

Just don't go. If they try to physically force you into going, sue them.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:06:23 PM
...doing something associated with Catholicism, and avoiding sleep...

LMAO!

Seniors are not forced to go on Kairos, but my parents are making me go later on in the year.

You have the coolest parents ever. Are they looking to adopt a pretentious Asian kid?

I'd like to know if there is anything that I can possibly do to get out of this situation

The F*CK?! You don't want to ditch out on a fricken' school day WHEN IT'S ALOWED?!

Essentially, I'd like to know if there is anything legally or domestically that could be done about this.

Change your mind. Ditch school.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:08:22 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:06:23 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
...doing something associated with Catholicism, and avoiding sleep...

LMAO!

Seniors are not forced to go on Kairos, but my parents are making me go later on in the year.

You have the coolest parents ever. Are they looking to adopt a pretentious Asian kid?

I'd like to know if there is anything that I can possibly do to get out of this situation

The F*CK?! You don't want to ditch out on a fricken' school day WHEN IT'S ALOWED?!

I don't like missing school. I get stressed out enough as it is with my course load, and missing three days would be horrible. Plus, no one sleeps during Kairos, and I'm packed in a constricted area with a group of usually immature people.

Essentially, I'd like to know if there is anything legally or domestically that could be done about this.

Change your mind. Ditch school.

I'm fine.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:09:37 PM
Uh, I'd rather be in school and home rather than praying for 3 days lol. I'm sure Jesus would still love me just as much. Anyway sac8 you should probably just tell your parents that you'd rather not go, and appease your mom by saying that you would rather pray in your own way (or something like that... basically something that lets her know you still love God and that you don't want to go for non-religious reasons). Good luck!
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:09:39 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:06:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Just don't go. If they try to physically force you into going, sue them.

I was considering just skipping the bus ride and leaving before I'd be counted, but I figure I'd hold the whole trip up if my parents put me on the list. However, by this time, I may be eighteen. I don't think that cops would take it so seriously if they resorted to physical violence, would they?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:11:36 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:09:37 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Uh, I'd rather be in school and home rather than praying for 3 days lol. I'm sure Jesus would still love me just as much. Anyway sac8 you should probably just tell your parents that you'd rather not go, and appease your mom by saying that you would rather pray in your own way (or something like that... basically something that lets her know you still love God and that you don't want to go for non-religious reasons). Good luck!

Lol, thanks. I've been trying to make my mom understand that I find many faults in the ways she tries to force me to all of these Christian gigs, but she simply won't listen. Like normal parents, they're focused on controlling everything. Nevertheless, I'm going to try and convince them, but all that will happen is my dad losing his temper and my mother starting a crying session. My dad's been a little more physical with us in the past couple of months, so I don't know what would happen if he keeps getting angry.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:16:40 PM
Wait... is Kairos for partying or praying... because when I read "doing something associated with Catholicism," I read that as... well, you know.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:17:25 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:16:40 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Wait... is Kairos for partying or praying... because when I read "doing something associated with Catholicism," I read that as... well, you know.

It's praying.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:22:41 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:17:25 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

It's praying.

Oh, in that case, ditch. You'll be eighteen. Your parents don't have a legal say. ;D
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:24:02 PM

It's praying.

As 18 years old, you are legally able to excuse yourself from school and your parents wouldn't be able to make you go back. Since you are legally an adult, you are responsible for your own education. However, they can still ground your @ss when you get home. Also, if your mom is a "born-again" Christian, she might see you getting out of praying as a really bad thing and torture you in another way. Like sending you to a two week Bible camp later on. Be careful; but get out of it.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:24:49 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:22:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

It's praying.

Oh, in that case, ditch. You'll be eighteen. Your parents don't have a legal say. ;D

I understand that, but I'm still living under their roof. There's only one Kairos available when I'm eighteen. I'm sick of my parents trying to control me and run my life. I just keep thinking that all I have is less than a year in this house.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:26:40 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:24:02 PM, annhasle wrote:

It's praying.

As 18 years old, you are legally able to excuse yourself from school and your parents wouldn't be able to make you go back. Since you are legally an adult, you are responsible for your own education. However, they can still ground your @ss when you get home. Also, if your mom is a "born-again" Christian, she might see you getting out of praying as a really bad thing and torture you in another way. Like sending you to a two week Bible camp later on. Be careful; but get out of it.

Very true. However, when I'm eighteen, and I'm able to avoid Kairos, my mom won't be able to send me to Bible camp. After this first semester of school, I'll essentially be accepted to college, and all I'll have to do is wait another semester to begin my life.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:31:24 PM
Sounds awful to me. I wouldn't want to go either. Are your friends going?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:31:46 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:26:40 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/10/2010 7:24:02 PM, annhasle wrote:

It's praying.

Very true. However, when I'm eighteen, and I'm able to avoid Kairos, my mom won't be able to send me to Bible camp. After this first semester of school, I'll essentially be accepted to college, and all I'll have to do is wait another semester to begin my life.

Exactly. You'll just have to wait it out.... Parents are always controlling but hopefully they realize you have the last say about where and when you're going anywhere. Just make sure to "let them down" easily and not to shock them into thinking you're an atheist, ya know? Say that you still accept Catholic ways but don't find that the people you are going with to be supportive and that they make your faith a complete joke (or some BS like that). Your mom will probably be sensitive to that kind of ridicule and agree that you don't need to go.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:41:34 PM
I just told my mom about my denial to go on Kairos, and she took away my labtop. I'm getting this quick message on a downstairs computer, but I won't have much time. All my parents want to do is control me. It's really ridiculous in the measures they take and how they interpret various situations. Nevertheless, I'll get the labtop back. Less than a year, and I'm a free man.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:44:14 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:41:34 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I just told my mom about my denial to go on Kairos, and she took away my labtop. I'm getting this quick message on a downstairs computer, but I won't have much time. All my parents want to do is control me. It's really ridiculous in the measures they take and how they interpret various situations. Nevertheless, I'll get the labtop back. Less than a year, and I'm a free man.

My sympathies are with you. You should stand strong. Don't go this Kairos do-dad whatever they do.

Muh threads
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:49:02 PM
If your parents are "born again" Christians surely they aren't Catholics, those are two different strains no? What specific sect are they? I'm sure many hardcore evangelical sects will have a minister or two willing to inform you in writing (and therefore enable you to inform your mother) that the Pope is the Antichrist and attending this camp is a good way to go to hell.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:49:51 PM
It's worth a try anyway.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:59:50 PM
my 2cents though: they're hardly gonna throw you out of home for refusing to be indoctrinated. just say no and meet whatever comes at you head on. this is your life we're talking about.
signature
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 8:06:51 PM
There are many possibilities:

1. Every time the subject of Kairos comes up, mumble something in which all the words except "masturbation" and "hot babes" are unintelligible.

2. Get stoned. Three days will go by in no time. There are several ddo members who can help with this approach. Check out the thread on "most important issue" in the politics forum.

3. Learn some Zen paradoxes, repeat them often, and say you are looking forward to Kairos to discuss them with others.

4. Say that you believe that with three days of constant prayer and repeating a mantra, you believe you will be able to levitate. Practice every evening in preparation.

5. Claim you feel extremely sick when sleep deprived, and ask to see a physician so that tests can be performed to ensure it is safe. Ask to make out a will, "just in case."

If none of these work, get back to me for more.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 11:14:36 PM
Best advice in this thread incoming: Get a job.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 11:18:20 PM
At 7/10/2010 8:06:51 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
There are many possibilities:

1. Every time the subject of Kairos comes up, mumble something in which all the words except "masturbation" and "hot babes" are unintelligible.

2. Get stoned. Three days will go by in no time. There are several ddo members who can help with this approach. Check out the thread on "most important issue" in the politics forum.

3. Learn some Zen paradoxes, repeat them often, and say you are looking forward to Kairos to discuss them with others.

4. Say that you believe that with three days of constant prayer and repeating a mantra, you believe you will be able to levitate. Practice every evening in preparation.

5. Claim you feel extremely sick when sleep deprived, and ask to see a physician so that tests can be performed to ensure it is safe. Ask to make out a will, "just in case."

If none of these work, get back to me for more.

>:)

Muh threads
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 12:08:54 AM

Once you find God on weed you ain't gonna bother trying to find him by sitting around with a bunch of dudes praying.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:12:13 AM
At 7/11/2010 12:08:54 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:

Once you find God on weed you ain't gonna bother trying to find him by sitting around with a bunch of dudes praying.

You're mom's born again and she wants you to go to a Catholic prayer session? That sounds really odd. Tell her that you will be praying a rosary, and you will be begin a novena, and ask her to buy you some rosary beads. You'll see.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 7:59:31 AM
At 7/11/2010 2:12:13 AM, innomen wrote:
At 7/11/2010 12:08:54 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:

You're mom's born again and she wants you to go to a Catholic prayer session? That sounds really odd. Tell her that you will be praying a rosary, and you will be begin a novena, and ask her to buy you some rosary beads.
"Rosary" beads and personal lubricant. Tell her it's on the official list of what to bring written by the priest who runs the place.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 8:14:06 AM
Tell her God told you not to go, and rather, pray in your own time in your room (i.e. Fap)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.