Jump to topic:

Gimme that Buddhist side hug!

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 6:59:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My mom is trying to convert me, so she brought me to a Buddhist youth festival thing. Apparently, there are Buddhist rap groups and dance crews. Inorite? Mind=blown.

Discuss.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:26:07 PM
At 7/10/2010 6:59:53 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
My mom is trying to convert me, so she brought me to a Buddhist youth festival thing. Apparently, there are Buddhist rap groups and dance crews. Inorite? Mind=blown.

Discuss.

How is dancing and rapping supposed to convert you? I don't believe break dancing is part of the Eightfold path...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 7:34:09 PM

Discuss.

Hmm... I'm trying to imagine what a "Buddhist youth festival" would be like. And how is anyone supposed to get converted by listening to rap and joining dance crews?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 8:28:54 PM

Given the wording of your post, the rapping and dancing wasn't at the youth festival they took you to, correct?

What was actually at the festival you went to?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 8:33:24 PM
Buddhism spread rapidly in the ancient world because it was quite accommodating of other beliefs. taking no position on god allows people to keep their traditional gods. Most Japanese are both Shinto and Buddhist, for example.

So if they can accommodate the ten thousand Shinto gods, a little rap music is probably tolerable.

It is good for atheists to learn a little Buddhism. Christians pester you if say you are an atheist, but "Buddhist" usually brings a blank stare and a change of subject.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 8:38:59 PM
At 7/10/2010 7:26:07 PM, annhasle wrote:

Discuss.

How is dancing and rapping supposed to convert you? I don't believe break dancing is part of the Eightfold path...

I think they were trying to make Buddhism hip, sort of like how Youth Ministries have Christian Music.

At 7/10/2010 8:28:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Given the wording of your post, the rapping and dancing wasn't at the youth festival they took you to, correct?

Oh, my apologies. Maybe that was bad wording.

I literally watched Buddhists rap and crump:
http://img819.imageshack.us...
http://img5.imageshack.us...

It was interesting to say the least: "I'mma promote world peace, yo!"
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 8:49:12 PM
At 7/10/2010 8:33:24 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Buddhism spread rapidly in the ancient world because it was quite accommodating of other beliefs. taking no position on god allows people to keep their traditional gods.

Actually, it does take a position on God, more akin to strong atheism and anti-theism:

Buddha [Lankavatara Sutra]: "All such notions [of a]...personal soul, Supreme Spirit, Sovereign God, Creator, are all figments of the imagination and manifestations of mind."

Buddha [Lankavatara Sutra]: "This position rises the question of a first cause which the philosophers meet by asserting that their first cause, God and the primal elements, are un-born and un-annihilate; which position is without evidence and is irrational."

Buddha [Lankavatara Sutra]: "Again, Mahamati, some philosophers owing to their foolishness declare this to be Nirvana: that there is a primary substance, there is a supreme soul, and they are seen differently by each, and that they produce all things from the transformations of the qualities."

Buddha [Tittha Sutta]: "Is it true that you hold that whatever a person experiences is all caused by a Supreme Being's act of creation? Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of a Supreme Being's act of creation. A person is a thief, unchaste, a liar, a divisive speaker, a harsh speaker, an idle chatterer, greedy, malicious, a holder of wrong views because of a Supreme Being's act of creation.

When one falls back on creation by a Supreme Being as being essential, there is no desire [motivation], no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my second righteous refutation of those priests & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 12:57:16 PM
At 7/11/2010 7:24:31 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Buddhism tries to actively convert?

I can't speak for his parents, but Buddhism isn't out to convert people, but rather to spread the Dharma (Buddhist philosophy) and keep it alive. People don't necessarily have to convert if the goal is to preserve the teachings.

According to Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 1:12:42 PM
Ooooommmm..Oooooommm.....Ooooommmm...*chicka-a-chicka*

Back in the village,
Where I was meditatin'
I found this shawty
With the 8 fold path to slavation
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 1:13:04 PM
At 7/11/2010 1:12:42 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Back in the village,
Where I was meditatin'
I found this shawty
With the 8 fold path to salvation

Fix'd
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 1:21:31 PM
At 7/11/2010 1:16:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 7/11/2010 1:13:04 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 7/11/2010 1:12:42 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Back in the village,
Where I was meditatin'
I found this shawty
With the 8 fold path to salvation

Fix'd

Is that a play on Gangster's Paradise?

No, just thought it up.