Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why are we still fighting about religion?

True_Atheist
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:16:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

That's the whole problem, certain people who claim to be Christian believe they DO have the right to impose their religion on EVERYONE. They are no better than the radical fundamentalist Islamist.

They claim to fight for religious freedom. What they actually believe in and fight for is religious tyranny.

My purpose on these forums is to oppose their tyranny.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:02:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

Sorry, TA, but as an atheist I disagree.

We're agreed that the existence of a creator is a largely philosophical question and has nothing to do with social concerns. We'd likely both agree that this is usually where theists and atheists debate.

But it's the wrong debate.

The right debate is the supposed moral and/or intellectual authority of their deity, its prophets, doctrines, and any clergy or laeity purporting have the authority to interpret them.

Because that authority, if accepted or even tolerated, has the power to prescribe morality, change laws, redefine citizenship, and shape the cultures and relations of nations. So it's of interest to every citizen and must be held to account for the supposed legitimacy of its claims, its methods and its advocacy.

I hope that may help.
True_Atheist
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:51:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:02:42 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

Sorry, TA, but as an atheist I disagree.

We're agreed that the existence of a creator is a largely philosophical question and has nothing to do with social concerns. We'd likely both agree that this is usually where theists and atheists debate.

But it's the wrong debate.

The right debate is the supposed moral and/or intellectual authority of their deity, its prophets, doctrines, and any clergy or laeity purporting have the authority to interpret them.

Because that authority, if accepted or even tolerated, has the power to prescribe morality, change laws, redefine citizenship, and shape the cultures and relations of nations. So it's of interest to every citizen and must be held to account for the supposed legitimacy of its claims, its methods and its advocacy.

I hope that may help.

That's not really the point. I apologize if I was unclear, but I am not not against religion, nor am I saying that religion should not exist. I am also not saying that we should ignore others' beliefs. The only point that I am trying to make is that FIGHTING over which belief is right is a problem that always leads to suffering.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:07:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:51:55 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
The only point that I am trying to make is that FIGHTING over which belief is right is a problem that always leads to suffering.

A religion that makes no claim of moral supremacy is essentially a philosophy. Philosophers can disagree amiably, and seldom fight so bitterly.

What makes religious fights (between sects and with secular groups) so bitter, is the claim of some moral right to power tucked under claims of truth.

And opposing that claim has led to persecution, exile, torture, murder and genocide.

But not opposing it has lead to subjugation, exploitation, oppression and slavery.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:08:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:51:55 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:02:42 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

Sorry, TA, but as an atheist I disagree.

We're agreed that the existence of a creator is a largely philosophical question and has nothing to do with social concerns. We'd likely both agree that this is usually where theists and atheists debate.

But it's the wrong debate.

The right debate is the supposed moral and/or intellectual authority of their deity, its prophets, doctrines, and any clergy or laeity purporting have the authority to interpret them.

Because that authority, if accepted or even tolerated, has the power to prescribe morality, change laws, redefine citizenship, and shape the cultures and relations of nations. So it's of interest to every citizen and must be held to account for the supposed legitimacy of its claims, its methods and its advocacy.

I hope that may help.

That's not really the point. I apologize if I was unclear, but I am not not against religion, nor am I saying that religion should not exist. I am also not saying that we should ignore others' beliefs. The only point that I am trying to make is that FIGHTING over which belief is right is a problem that always leads to suffering.

Yes, fighting - as in the use of force- leads to suffering, whether over religion or anything else. The best weapon is accuracy. It always wins in the end.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
dee-em
Posts: 6,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:09:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

Ignorance is bliss? We should just leave our fellow human beings to their delusions as long as they are happy? I have a problem with that but I could just about go along with it if it wasn't for one thing. They don't stop at keeping their delusions to themselves. They indoctrinate their children as they themselves were indoctrinated. They continually try and cross the line of a secular democracy. They try to get creationism taught as science. They demonize homosexuals. They bomb abortion clinics. They deny condom use to those at risk from AIDS. They subjugate women. Need I go on? That is why I as an atheist speak up and make my voice heard.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 2:37:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:16:27 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

That's the whole problem, certain people who claim to be Christian believe they DO have the right to impose their religion on EVERYONE. They are no better than the radical fundamentalist Islamist.

They claim to fight for religious freedom. What they actually believe in and fight for is religious tyranny.

My purpose on these forums is to oppose their tyranny.
The problem is that now we've had situations where Christians were not imposing their beliefs, were completely on the defensive as opposed to the offensive, and have been accused of discrimination. These types of instances, like the bakery in Colorado, were predicted in the past. Do you think the owner of the bakery, and similar instances involving wedding photographers and florists, who are completely on the defensive, should be cited as practicing discrimination? Or, should their religious rights be honored?

http://aclu-co.org...
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 2:51:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am of the opinion that people are entitled to their belief system, always providing they don't proselytise and force it on children and the vulnerable using scare tactics . Obviously if extremists, like the Islamic State mob, and some ultra extreme Christians, use it as a means of repression,they should be brought down.
freechrist
Posts: 15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:18:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

have you ever played with children 3-5 yrs old... some of them often say and insist that what they say only is right. People who say that my religion is only right are the same. It is associated with childishness or incomplete development resulting in narrow mindedness.
further whenever one feels insecure they have to satisfy their ego . and my religion is the only correct one does that job for some and makes them feel secure. Then what if only 100 people are following your religion while 9000 people are following other religion.... huge insecurity ... what if 9000 people are following their own religion but, 100 are following other religion still insecurity.... then it will be like this what makes these 100 people not take my religion even though they are so few, what makes them so strong in their belief ...no it should not be like that they should be strong in my belief only - otherwise again insecure! and if they are a successful and flourishing group of 100 people it will still add to their insecurity in tons ...etc.. etc... take home message .... there will be always a need to convert the other man to their religion
finally man is a free will person and there will be always new branches in religion....
so so so the story will be same :)
parting line
The man who does not have confidence in his faith looks to his neighbors for the support , for him the more people follow his religion the more he will feel safe/secure... Insecurity lack of faith ego etc.... goes on!
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:34:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

Whilst I do observe quite a bit of bickering and often times tension within religious discussions, I find it to be important that there is disagreements and dissimilar perspectives. This reflects individuality. This also enables the exchange of ideas, information, and an opportunity to discover a varying outlook.
dee-em
Posts: 6,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:45:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 2:37:01 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:16:27 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

That's the whole problem, certain people who claim to be Christian believe they DO have the right to impose their religion on EVERYONE. They are no better than the radical fundamentalist Islamist.

They claim to fight for religious freedom. What they actually believe in and fight for is religious tyranny.

My purpose on these forums is to oppose their tyranny.
The problem is that now we've had situations where Christians were not imposing their beliefs, were completely on the defensive as opposed to the offensive, and have been accused of discrimination.

Get real. They were imposing their beliefs by denying the service which the business was set up to provide. A wedding cake business has nothing to do with religious beliefs. It's business, and denying service is discrimination. Even when the rule of law is applied, you guys can't accept it. You're unbelievable.

These types of instances, like the bakery in Colorado, were predicted in the past. Do you think the owner of the bakery, and similar instances involving wedding photographers and florists, who are completely on the defensive, should be cited as practicing discrimination? Or, should their religious rights be honored?

Religious rights have nothing to do with the business they chose to conduct. You can't refuse service based on something unrelated to the business - personal beliefs about a deity. Theirs wasn't a 'defensive' action (lol). It was highly offensive.

http://aclu-co.org...
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 10:48:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 4:45:23 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/22/2015 2:37:01 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:16:27 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

That's the whole problem, certain people who claim to be Christian believe they DO have the right to impose their religion on EVERYONE. They are no better than the radical fundamentalist Islamist.

They claim to fight for religious freedom. What they actually believe in and fight for is religious tyranny.

My purpose on these forums is to oppose their tyranny.
The problem is that now we've had situations where Christians were not imposing their beliefs, were completely on the defensive as opposed to the offensive, and have been accused of discrimination.

Get real. They were imposing their beliefs by denying the service which the business was set up to provide. A wedding cake business has nothing to do with religious beliefs. It's business, and denying service is discrimination. Even when the rule of law is applied, you guys can't accept it. You're unbelievable.

These types of instances, like the bakery in Colorado, were predicted in the past. Do you think the owner of the bakery, and similar instances involving wedding photographers and florists, who are completely on the defensive, should be cited as practicing discrimination? Or, should their religious rights be honored?

Religious rights have nothing to do with the business they chose to conduct. You can't refuse service based on something unrelated to the business - personal beliefs about a deity. Theirs wasn't a 'defensive' action (lol). It was highly offensive.

http://aclu-co.org...
I've you asked you this before, and for some reason offense was taken. This is why I addressed the question to this other individual. I'll go ahead and ask you, but I don't want to get side-tracked from this other person, because the question is not meant to offend. So if you just want to make a comment, and not answer this next question, then I suggest ignoring my response to you altogether.

First off (a statement), the businessman was not on the offensive. Yes, there was offense taken from the couple. That's entirely different, and not what I'm talking about.

If the baker, wedding photographer, and florist were practicing discrimination when refusing to service a gay wedding ceremony, then what about a minister (a pastor) in/of a church refusing to perform a wedding ceremony for a gay couple?

Yes, I know the question involves a church and not a secular business (this was part of the monkey wrench that disrupted the waters in our conversation). That part has been settled over 200 years (in the U.S.). You can still answer the question if you want.

Again, I say if you want because last time a wise member here (who disagreed with my views also) pointed out that there was really no reason to take any offense to my posts. You responded back to him that he was right, and somehow you apparently let me get to you. To make it clear. The question is not meant to get to you or the person I originally responded to.
Tylered
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:38:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you mean imposing my religion on someone who don't agree by force or by taking away a freedom of choice. I will agree. But if you mean, affirming what I believe and voicing what i affirm and voice where i disagree (from other religions then I disagree. For that would be taking away my freedom of choice and religion. But there is a contradiction in your proposal. You asking for tolerance while being intolerant of those who reject tolerance. See , some of the religions you are asking to be be accepting of other religions and to "get along" (tolerant) with the other religion goes contrary to their belief. Jewish : believe Jewish belief is the only "way", true religion. Islam:Islam is the only way. Christianity: Belief in Christ's death, burial, and ressurection is the only way. I am a Christian, and I accept and affirm what The Word of God accepts and affirms and reject what it rejects. See its not that I disagree with every religion in everything. I agree with the parts other religions that coincides with the Word of God, and I disagree with the parts of other religions where the Word of God disagrees with other religions.
dee-em
Posts: 6,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 6:19:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 10:48:38 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 2/22/2015 4:45:23 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/22/2015 2:37:01 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:16:27 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

That's the whole problem, certain people who claim to be Christian believe they DO have the right to impose their religion on EVERYONE. They are no better than the radical fundamentalist Islamist.

They claim to fight for religious freedom. What they actually believe in and fight for is religious tyranny.

My purpose on these forums is to oppose their tyranny.
The problem is that now we've had situations where Christians were not imposing their beliefs, were completely on the defensive as opposed to the offensive, and have been accused of discrimination.

Get real. They were imposing their beliefs by denying the service which the business was set up to provide. A wedding cake business has nothing to do with religious beliefs. It's business, and denying service is discrimination. Even when the rule of law is applied, you guys can't accept it. You're unbelievable.

These types of instances, like the bakery in Colorado, were predicted in the past. Do you think the owner of the bakery, and similar instances involving wedding photographers and florists, who are completely on the defensive, should be cited as practicing discrimination? Or, should their religious rights be honored?

Religious rights have nothing to do with the business they chose to conduct. You can't refuse service based on something unrelated to the business - personal beliefs about a deity. Theirs wasn't a 'defensive' action (lol). It was highly offensive.

http://aclu-co.org...
I've you asked you this before, and for some reason offense was taken. This is why I addressed the question to this other individual. I'll go ahead and ask you, but I don't want to get side-tracked from this other person, because the question is not meant to offend. So if you just want to make a comment, and not answer this next question, then I suggest ignoring my response to you altogether.

First off (a statement), the businessman was not on the offensive. Yes, there was offense taken from the couple. That's entirely different, and not what I'm talking about.

Offense was taken because offense was given. What is it about personal beliefs that you don't understand? Personal beliefs should be kept personal.

If the baker, wedding photographer, and florist were practicing discrimination when refusing to service a gay wedding ceremony, then what about a minister (a pastor) in/of a church refusing to perform a wedding ceremony for a gay couple?

And this is what you did last time. We're going from a very specific situation covered by legislation to a hypothetical. (I answered the hypothetical last time, I don't need to do it again). You raised this case and now you run away from it. Please stop creating a strawman. Address what I said about this case and how it is a clear example of discrimination.

Yes, I know the question involves a church and not a secular business (this was part of the monkey wrench that disrupted the waters in our conversation). That part has been settled over 200 years (in the U.S.). You can still answer the question if you want.

Again, I say if you want because last time a wise member here (who disagreed with my views also) pointed out that there was really no reason to take any offense to my posts. You responded back to him that he was right, and somehow you apparently let me get to you. To make it clear. The question is not meant to get to you or the person I originally responded to.

You're moving the goalposts. Up above you asked:

Do you think the owner of the bakery, and similar instances involving wedding photographers and florists, who are completely on the defensive, should be cited as practicing discrimination? Or, should their religious rights be honored?

Those are the questions I addressed. You immediately ignored the answers and shifted to something else entirely. How about you make an effort to stay on-topic this time?
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:05:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 6:19:20 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 2/22/2015 10:48:38 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:


If the baker, wedding photographer, and florist were practicing discrimination when refusing to service a gay wedding ceremony, then what about a minister (a pastor) in/of a church refusing to perform a wedding ceremony for a gay couple?

And this is what you did last time. We're going from a very specific situation covered by legislation to a hypothetical. (I answered the hypothetical last time, I don't need to do it again). You raised this case and now you run away from it. Please stop creating a strawman. Address what I said about this case and how it is a clear example of discrimination.

This is not a hypothetical. No need to get my question confused with what if a minister refused to perform a wedding for a gay couple?. There are many churches throughout the U.S.....and abroad that will not perform a wedding for a gay couple. That is a fact, not a hypothetical. So the question again, these churches that will not perform weddings for gay couples, are they practicing discrimination?

Yes, I know the question involves a church and not a secular business (this was part of the monkey wrench that disrupted the waters in our conversation). That part has been settled over 200 years (in the U.S.). You can still answer the question if you want.

Again, I say if you want because last time a wise member here (who disagreed with my views also) pointed out that there was really no reason to take any offense to my posts. You responded back to him that he was right, and somehow you apparently let me get to you. To make it clear. The question is not meant to get to you or the person I originally responded to.

You're moving the goalposts. Up above you asked:

Do you think the owner of the bakery, and similar instances involving wedding photographers and florists, who are completely on the defensive, should be cited as practicing discrimination? Or, should their religious rights be honored?

No, that was to the other individual. That was not my question to you. My question to you is a progression of that quote because I've briefly discussed it with you before.

Those are the questions I addressed. You immediately ignored the answers and shifted to something else entirely. How about you make an effort to stay on-topic this time?
I'm sorry, but no, you did not answer the question. Here it is again:

these churches that will not perform weddings for gay couples, are they practicing discrimination?

This is the question I straight up asked you sometime ago in a different thread. And because of how the interaction ended up, I left that thread. So I emphasize again, I'm not demanding you answer the question. I get the impression that you may very well not want to answer the question...but that's okay. I don't want this to get side-tracked from the individual I initially posed a question to in this thread.
bulproof
Posts: 25,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:36:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 2:37:01 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:16:27 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:52:10 PM, True_Atheist wrote:
I am an atheist. I do not believe in a higher power. Does this give me the right to force my belief, or, more properly, lack thereof, on another person? No, it does not. If everyone could finally figure out that fighting over religion does absolutely no good, the world would just be so much better off. The Church started the Crusades, leaving millions dead, and what did that accomplish? Nothing. The argument is still going on today. Why is it so hard to just accept that people are different, accept that people think differently and have different beliefs, and get on with your life? There is simply no reason to be angry at someone because of their differing beliefs. It's like two countries going to war because one likes hamburgers better than hot dogs, and for the other it's vice versa. What do you think the end result of that fight would be? Hundreds, thousands of people dead, and one country is STILL going to like hamburgers more, and the other country is STILL going to like hot dogs more. It is just a pointless fight. The only one who should care what one person believes is that person. No one else

That's the whole problem, certain people who claim to be Christian believe they DO have the right to impose their religion on EVERYONE. They are no better than the radical fundamentalist Islamist.

They claim to fight for religious freedom. What they actually believe in and fight for is religious tyranny.

My purpose on these forums is to oppose their tyranny.
The problem is that now we've had situations where Christians were not imposing their beliefs, were completely on the defensive as opposed to the offensive, and have been accused of discrimination. These types of instances, like the bakery in Colorado, were predicted in the past. Do you think the owner of the bakery, and similar instances involving wedding photographers and florists, who are completely on the defensive, should be cited as practicing discrimination? Or, should their religious rights be honored?

http://aclu-co.org...

How can baking a cake impinge on the religious rights of a cake baker?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
genesis01
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:41:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am spreading my belief on Christianity because it is the TRUE religion. Anybody who isn't saved by Christ will go to hell. Spread of Christianity is only a good thing because it helps save people from hell.

Your atheism will only lead to eternal suffering.
genesis01
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:42:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Also, we have to have society UNDER god's word. If we don't live under god's word, he will punish us.
bulproof
Posts: 25,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:45:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:42:30 PM, genesis01 wrote:
Also, we have to have society UNDER god's word. If we don't live under god's word, he will punish us.

Which god? Quetzalcoatl?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
genesis01
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:46:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:45:10 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:42:30 PM, genesis01 wrote:
Also, we have to have society UNDER god's word. If we don't live under god's word, he will punish us.

Which god? Quetzalcoatl?

The Christian god, the only real god.
bulproof
Posts: 25,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:46:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:41:32 PM, genesis01 wrote:
I am spreading my belief on Christianity because it is the TRUE religion. Anybody who isn't saved by Christ will go to hell. Spread of Christianity is only a good thing because it helps save people from hell.

Your atheism will only lead to eternal suffering.

You mean save people from the alleged god that created hell.
No thanks, I wouldn't want to spend a nano second with such a skank.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
genesis01
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:47:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:46:50 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:41:32 PM, genesis01 wrote:
I am spreading my belief on Christianity because it is the TRUE religion. Anybody who isn't saved by Christ will go to hell. Spread of Christianity is only a good thing because it helps save people from hell.

Your atheism will only lead to eternal suffering.

You mean save people from the alleged god that created hell.
No thanks, I wouldn't want to spend a nano second with such a skank.

Going against god will only lead to eternal suffering after you die.
bulproof
Posts: 25,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:48:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:46:06 PM, genesis01 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:45:10 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:42:30 PM, genesis01 wrote:
Also, we have to have society UNDER god's word. If we don't live under god's word, he will punish us.

Which god? Quetzalcoatl?

The Christian god, the only real god.

Take your message to Raqqa, I'll bet they disagree. Your opinion is as worthless as theirs.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
genesis01
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:49:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:48:02 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:46:06 PM, genesis01 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:45:10 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:42:30 PM, genesis01 wrote:
Also, we have to have society UNDER god's word. If we don't live under god's word, he will punish us.

Which god? Quetzalcoatl?

The Christian god, the only real god.

Take your message to Raqqa, I'll bet they disagree. Your opinion is as worthless as theirs.

It is not an opinion, it is a fact. God has revealed himself to me and has spoken to me.
bulproof
Posts: 25,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:50:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:47:43 PM, genesis01 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:46:50 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:41:32 PM, genesis01 wrote:
I am spreading my belief on Christianity because it is the TRUE religion. Anybody who isn't saved by Christ will go to hell. Spread of Christianity is only a good thing because it helps save people from hell.

Your atheism will only lead to eternal suffering.

You mean save people from the alleged god that created hell.
No thanks, I wouldn't want to spend a nano second with such a skank.

Going against god will only lead to eternal suffering after you die.
I know it lets you sleep at night, but the stories of an afterlife were created by scared little men like you.
Don't take them seriously.
Unless you want to look for a pot at the end of a rainbow as well.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:52:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:46:06 PM, genesis01 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:45:10 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:42:30 PM, genesis01 wrote:
Also, we have to have society UNDER god's word. If we don't live under god's word, he will punish us.

Which god? Quetzalcoatl?

The Christian god, the only real god.

Interesting.
Why it and not someone like Yama?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
genesis01
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:53:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:50:12 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:47:43 PM, genesis01 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:46:50 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:41:32 PM, genesis01 wrote:
I am spreading my belief on Christianity because it is the TRUE religion. Anybody who isn't saved by Christ will go to hell. Spread of Christianity is only a good thing because it helps save people from hell.

Your atheism will only lead to eternal suffering.

You mean save people from the alleged god that created hell.
No thanks, I wouldn't want to spend a nano second with such a skank.

Going against god will only lead to eternal suffering after you die.
I know it lets you sleep at night, but the stories of an afterlife were created by scared little men like you.
Don't take them seriously.
Unless you want to look for a pot at the end of a rainbow as well.

I have seen proof for an afterlife. God has revealed himself and I have heard him spoke to me.
bulproof
Posts: 25,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:53:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 7:49:28 PM, genesis01 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:48:02 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:46:06 PM, genesis01 wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:45:10 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/22/2015 7:42:30 PM, genesis01 wrote:
Also, we have to have society UNDER god's word. If we don't live under god's word, he will punish us.

Which god? Quetzalcoatl?

The Christian god, the only real god.

Take your message to Raqqa, I'll bet they disagree. Your opinion is as worthless as theirs.

It is not an opinion, it is a fact. God has revealed himself to me and has spoken to me.

What did he say?
What did she sound like?
Did it have an accent?
High pitched or low pitched?
What did it look like?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin