Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

why did christ say i will destroy the temple?

freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 3:41:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I will destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days?
what does the words imply?

https://www.youtube.com...

that is the vid bit from passion of Christ over the same topic
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:19:30 AM
At 2/22/2015 3:41:25 AM, freechrist wrote:

what does really temple mean in this term? it is sound a paganist place. why didnt he use synagoge or chusrch instead?
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:32:27 AM
At 2/22/2015 4:19:30 AM, uncung wrote:

what does really temple mean in this term? it is sound a paganist place. why didnt he use synagoge or chusrch instead?

the temple hear means
http://en.wikipedia.org...
I guess they still call it holy temple....the temple of Jerusalem... I can not change it :)
My question why Christ used the words so radical as I will destroy the place of worship...... watch the video where priest confronts Christ over the same with anger? My question is why did Christ incited so much enmity of the priest and etc... the people by saying I will destroy the temple...what Christ did mean here?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 5:34:43 AM

the temple hear means
I guess they still call it holy temple....the temple of Jerusalem... I can not change it :)
My question why Christ used the words so radical as I will destroy the place of worship...... watch the video where priest confronts Christ over the same with anger? My question is why did Christ incited so much enmity of the priest and etc... the people by saying I will destroy the temple...what Christ did mean here?

the right word of this term is Bait/Beit (house of..) not temple instead. In Hebrew and Arabic it is Baitul Maqdis (the holy house). Not all spiritual words deserve to be translated in to foreign language.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:11:59 AM
At 2/22/2015 5:34:43 AM, uncung wrote:

the temple hear means

the right word of this term is Bait/Beit (house of..) not temple instead. In Hebrew and Arabic it is Baitul Maqdis (the holy house). Not all spiritual words deserve to be translated in to foreign language.

thanks for the info but, do you like to say anything about why Christ said so ?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:24:06 AM
At 2/22/2015 7:11:59 AM, freechrist wrote:

the temple hear means

The very human Jesus is quoted as saying lots of things, whether he actually said them is open to question. Clearly he didn't destroy the Temple, so was shooting his mouth off, if he actually said it!
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:43:23 AM
At 2/22/2015 7:24:06 AM, JJ50 wrote:

the temple hear means

The very human Jesus is quoted as saying lots of things, whether he actually said them is open to question. Clearly he didn't destroy the Temple, so was shooting his mouth off, if he actually said it!

According to the most known scriptures Christ said those words destroy the temple...... Destroy here is a metaphoric ....? That people should leave the old methods of worship and attribution to God that he is jealous, revengeful etc.... should be discarded ! Instead a forgiving god not limited to one group but, the entire humanity? I think so but, I will be glad to have some input from people here...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:51:41 AM
At 2/22/2015 7:43:23 AM, freechrist wrote:

the temple hear means

According to the most known scriptures Christ said those words destroy the temple...... Destroy here is a metaphoric ....? That people should leave the old methods of worship and attribution to God that he is jealous, revengeful etc.... should be discarded ! Instead a forgiving god not limited to one group but, the entire humanity? I think so but, I will be glad to have some input from people here...

As the gospels were written long after he was a rotting corpse somewhere in the Middle East, and most of the stories about Jesus are not credible anyway, it is open to question if he was correctly quoted. But even if he was, so what?
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:33:52 PM
At 2/22/2015 7:51:41 AM, JJ50 wrote:

the temple hear means

As the gospels were written long after he was a rotting corpse somewhere in the Middle East, and most of the stories about Jesus are not credible anyway, it is open to question if he was correctly quoted. But even if he was, so what?

let us assume it was true for the discussion sake here
Imagine what will happen if someone declares that they are going to destroy the holy temple of Jerusalem , macca masjid , Vatican or the hindu temples in Kasi etc... the public will kill/destroy the person who declares so...what was the necessity for Christ to declare so radically?
the point to be noted is that Christ was "against religion" in declaring so

in this video

Jesus was saving woman accused of prostitution... which is not at all permitted by the old testament the then existent religion.
what jesus did above was madness as he was standing against the strongest force in the society.

That is the reason why he was condemned to death...because he bought enmity with Religion.
Please watch the videos they are only 2-3 mts time snippets from passion of Christ movie which will make my point more clear,
Thanks
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 2:11:40 PM

the temple hear means

It is obvious most Christians here do not know their scriptures. Surprisingly the one who claims to be a saint (BOG) but is in fact just a recovering alcoholic has not attempted to enlighten us by answering your question. As for the other expert who stuck his tongue into too many unholy places is down with clinical depression and literally suffering from a foot and mouth disease (MCB) mad cow bovine disease.
What Christ was referring to when he said destroy the temple and I will raise it in 3 days. The temple was his body. The 3 days was referring to the 3 days Jonah took to escape from the fish's stomach. And to raise was referring to his resurrection. That is what happened. Jesus was crucified and he was resurrected on the 3rd day.
I am a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition, a Hindu by birth. I am trained to interpret esoteric scriptures and studied comparative religion, Christian theology and Islamic fundamentalism.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 4:31:00 PM
At 2/22/2015 2:11:40 PM, Harikrish wrote:

the temple hear means

It is obvious most Christians here do not know their scriptures. Surprisingly the one who claims to be a saint (BOG) but is in fact just a recovering alcoholic has not attempted to enlighten us by answering your question. As for the other expert who stuck his tongue into too many unholy places is down with clinical depression and literally suffering from a foot and mouth disease (MCB) mad cow bovine disease.
What Christ was referring to when he said destroy the temple and I will raise it in 3 days. The temple was his body. The 3 days was referring to the 3 days Jonah took to escape from the fish's stomach. And to raise was referring to his resurrection. That is what happened. Jesus was crucified and he was resurrected on the 3rd day.
I am a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition, a Hindu by birth. I am trained to interpret esoteric scriptures and studied comparative religion, Christian theology and Islamic fundamentalism.

What Christ, our Lord God and saviour, who is the one who was anointed as the successor to the throne of the Most High in the creation, was saying was: "Destroy this Temple=dwelling place=the body of the man Jesus, in which I reveal myself to the world, and I will raise it up in three days."

They were not the words of the man Jesus, but the words of our Lord who chose Jesus as the one who he would send to speak in his name.

It was not Jesus who raised his own body, But the Lord God our saviour.

Whose words were these in reference to the body of Jesus, which had been filled by the spirit of the Lord which had descended upon him in the form of a dove?

"Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up?"

Acts 5: 30; The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you slew and hanged on a tree.

Acts 13: 30; But God raised him from the dead: and he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee, etc.

1st Corinthians 6: 14; And God has both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

2nd Corinthians 1: 9; But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead.

2nd Corinthians 4: 14; knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence.

Act 17: 31; For he (The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.) has fixed a day (A period of one thousand years) in which he will judge the whole world with justice by means of a man he has chosen. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising that man from death.

The word for Tabernacle, mishkan, is a derivative of the same root and is used in the sense of dwelling-place in the Bible, e.g. Psalm 132:5 ("Before I find a place for God, mishkanot (dwelling-places) for the Strong One of Israel.") Accordingly, in classic Jewish thought, the Shekhinah refers to a dwelling or settling in a special sense, a dwelling or settling of divine presence, to the effect that, while in proximity to the Shekhinah, the connection to God is more readily perceivable.
Some Christian theologians have connected the concept of Shekhinah to the Greek term "Parousia", "presence" "arrival," which is used in the New Testament in a similar way for "Divine Presence".

The Light of man=Son of Man=successor to the throne of Godhead, came In the body of a human being, which he had filled with his spirit and lived with us, and we saw his Sh'khinah, (Dwelling place) the Sh'khinah, or Dwelling place, which was the body that the Father had prepared for his Son, who was to come down and fill with his spirit that body that his Father had prepared for him, the earthly dwelling of the Father's only Son, full of grace and truth.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 8:20:54 PM

the temple hear means

why it is not like this " I will destroy the temple means : not that physically destroy the temple or the body but, destroy the existing methods of worship and the belief? Why it is not that by saying destroy the temple he was referring to destroy all that belief and when he resurrects the temple will follow his new teachings? thus temple is rebuilt or resurrected anew....
if it is just about miracle of being dead and raising up does christ need to say those words destroy the temple, which made him public enemy
This vid bit shows public demanding release Barabbas but, not Christ....

the temple ( the priests) condemned Christ to death with huge suffering. But, whatever magnitude of suffering the temple failed in forcing Jesus to follow its line.
The temple or the existing God was destroy the enemy. Christ God was who asks you to love your enemy. With embracing crucifixion he was able teach against the old thought and thus destroy it and instead replace it with his new God? his resurrection completed his reformation of the temple as nothing gives more authenticity than a miracle to the public.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 8:35:29 PM
At 2/22/2015 8:20:54 PM, freechrist wrote:

the temple hear means

why it is not like this " I will destroy the temple means : not that physically destroy the temple or the body but, destroy the existing methods of worship and the belief? Why it is not that by saying destroy the temple he was referring to destroy all that belief and when he resurrects the temple will follow his new teachings? thus temple is rebuilt or resurrected anew....
if it is just about miracle of being dead and raising up does christ need to say those words destroy the temple, which made him public enemy
This vid bit shows public demanding release Barabbas but, not Christ....

the temple ( the priests) condemned Christ to death with huge suffering. But, whatever magnitude of suffering the temple failed in forcing Jesus to follow its line.
The temple or the existing God was destroy the enemy. Christ God was who asks you to love your enemy. With embracing crucifixion he was able teach against the old thought and thus destroy it and instead replace it with his new God? his resurrection completed his reformation of the temple as nothing gives more authenticity than a miracle to the public.

Jesus made it very clear he was not sent to change the system. The Jews were given the mosaic laws to follow. Jesus as a Jew followed Jewish laws. His mission was to turn the jews back to God. They were restless with the Roman occupation and began to question
God as their liberator.

Matthew 5:17 "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 4:44:20 AM
Dear Harikrish

Matthew 5:17 "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.
the above quote is a very valid one but, I will get back to you once I find my references exactly.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:44:43 PM
Jesus made it very clear he was not sent to change the system. The Jews were given the mosaic laws to follow. Jesus as a Jew followed Jewish laws. His mission was to turn the jews back to God. They were restless with the Roman occupation and began to question
God as their liberator.

hi harikrish you are talking about the same lines right?
Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 2:24:58 PM
At 2/23/2015 4:44:20 AM, freechrist wrote:
Dear Harikrish

the above quote is a very valid one but, I will get back to you once I find my references exactly.
Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished

Here fulfill means bringing to a proper end...... ?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:54:02 AM

If you read the story correctly he never said "I will destroy the temple."

He said "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."
" Destroy this temple" suggests the character is telling the people to destroy it. It does not imply he is going to destroy it. It is like saying "IF YOU destroy it, I will raise it up".

He was not even talking about the building.
Check out the story....

John 2: 19-22 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
But he spake of the temple of his body.
When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

He was talking about his own body not about a man made building.
He was speaking in parables about his own death and resurrection.

1 Cor 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:04:21 AM

The Christians who came up with this video have a wild imagination. There may have been a few antichrists around when the jealous Jews had the Roman government kill God's first saint but I know there were many antichrists around when the rest of God's saints were killed for their testimonies of the invisible word of the Lord.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 1:45:07 PM
God as their liberator.

Hi Harikrish, this is from Mark10

2 Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"

3 "What did Moses command you?" he replied.

4 They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."

5 "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied.

This the one I was saying that I will reply with reference. you are very much a scholar on bible , I wonder how you missed this?
"It was because your hearts were harder that Moses wrote you this law "
The old testament laws were not independent of the existing society, this summary we can derive from Christ words.
The same Christ when he says that I came to fulfil not abolish , what can be understood from fulfill.., whatever is incomplete with the laws Christ will fulfil ?
actually I lifted this idea from this page, and I agree dissecting the meaning of fulfil is tough but, mark 10 was the reference when I made those comments!
http://shanekastler.typepad.com...
Abraham Lincoln was not an abolitionist who wanted immediate end to slavery...first he was not sure how he can work under the existing political system. next he even declared which implied that white and black are not socially equal . based on these n others there are arguments which say that Lincoln was basically not against slavery etc....
But, Lincoln is the one who was responsible for prolonged, depressing bloody war over the same issue . it is by Lincoln that slavery is abolished. To change a society preaching which shocks them will not really helps. Probably Christ was doing the same not saying an outright no but, at the end no.
he died for his preaching and his new values that is why we have new testament....

Note:
this is not declaring that Christians should treat old testament as not sacred but, they have to view that it is not made in view of them or any current people. the point I am trying to imply that they can not lift all the lines(moral codes) from old testament and have to force it on themselves. some thing worked some 3000 years before will be still good but, might not be applicable today. But, we can still take good from it.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:49:02 PM
At 2/24/2015 2:54:02 AM, Skyangel wrote:

If you read the story correctly he never said "I will destroy the temple."

He said "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."
" Destroy this temple" suggests the character is telling the people to destroy it. It does not imply he is going to destroy it. It is like saying "IF YOU destroy it, I will raise it up".

He was not even talking about the building.
Check out the story....

John 2: 19-22 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
But he spake of the temple of his body.
When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

He was talking about his own body not about a man made building.
He was speaking in parables about his own death and resurrection.

1 Cor 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

http://www.jesus-story.net...
this page shows paintings of Jesus driving away money lenders

if you have not seen this vid ref above regarding saving the woman accused of prostitution
the temple could never forgive this act of Jesus as long as it is bound by old testament!

Jesus washing the feet of his disciples
which is directly against the authority priest commands in the society for Christ is asking priest to serve the society....

as I already said above Jesus preaching was about love the enemy even while Old testament is about destroy the enemy... etc... etc...

old testament is the book of the temple ( holy temple ) and Christ preaching was against , not in line with them.

all these do not make you think that Christ was in friction with the temple and methods ( not with the god)?
If Christ who is in friction with temple said I will destroy the temple shall we think he was referring to his body ?

even so Christ did not destroy his body but, sacrificed ! Destroy is a word with negative end result whereas sacrifice is positive.

finally here is the fury of temple against Christ vid ref

I believe that Christ was against old testament in the sense that it was not applicable to the current society (some 30 AD?) and its spiritual essence is what man should take!

finally even if we think that by destroy the temple Christ meant destroy his body or the temple both are parallel and rather practically synonymous as it led to the establishment of new testament . either way , temple/old testament's method authority is replaced by new testament for the Christians!
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 4:17:45 PM
At 2/24/2015 3:04:21 AM, bornofgod wrote:

The Christians who came up with this video have a wild imagination. There may have been a few antichrists around when the jealous Jews had the Roman government kill God's first saint but I know there were many antichrists around when the rest of God's saints were killed for their testimonies of the invisible word of the Lord.

I am talking about Christ ! next better to say that jews were protecting their belief from blasphemy. because of the effect of new testament you are calling this video as wild imagination . If you were bond only by old testament and if that video above offended your old testament you would have reacted very similarly as the jews of those times reacted against Christ.
practically speaking jesus taught society against the existing methods of thousand years and made so many enemies in the society( nobody likes to listen when someone comes and talks against their religious tenets even today), practically enmity with entire society. if you don't believe that what saint peter did with Christ?

Christ was a loner on the day of crucifixion because he walked against the religious tenets of the society. it is not jew it is the society , it is not few but the majority wanted Christ to be crucified. persecution of his disciples could be attributed to the same.
even today if some one walks against religious tenets of the majority and strong, sure he/she will be persecuted unless that society is strongly influenced by new testament!

this vid ref to remind how people were against Christ
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:32:09 PM
At 2/24/2015 4:17:45 PM, freechrist wrote:

I am talking about Christ ! next better to say that jews were protecting their belief from blasphemy. because of the effect of new testament you are calling this video as wild imagination . If you were bond only by old testament and if that video above offended your old testament you would have reacted very similarly as the jews of those times reacted against Christ.
practically speaking jesus taught society against the existing methods of thousand years and made so many enemies in the society( nobody likes to listen when someone comes and talks against their religious tenets even today), practically enmity with entire society. if you don't believe that what saint peter did with Christ?

Christ was a loner on the day of crucifixion because he walked against the religious tenets of the society. it is not jew it is the society , it is not few but the majority wanted Christ to be crucified. persecution of his disciples could be attributed to the same.
even today if some one walks against religious tenets of the majority and strong, sure he/she will be persecuted unless that society is strongly influenced by new testament!

Christ is NOT the name of a person. Christ means the thoughts of God where we all exist. All God's prophets and us saints testified to the thoughts of God that are not of this world.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 8:56:29 PM
At 2/24/2015 7:32:09 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Christ is NOT the name of a person. Christ means the thoughtsof God where we all exist. All God's prophets and us saints testified to the thoughts of God that are not of this world.

The word Christ means the anointed one, you foolish child. And no man has ascended to heaven and anointed as the successor to the throne of Godhead, except: and that one exception was Enoch the righteous.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:11:20 PM

Off the bat, I would take it to mean that he was going to destroy to false temple and replace it with a true one based on holiness? Jesus did say that those who had transformed the temple into a marketplace had made it a den of inequities.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 10:55:09 PM
At 2/24/2015 8:56:29 PM, Gentorev wrote:

Christ is NOT the name of a person. Christ means the thoughtsof God where we all exist. All God's prophets and us saints testified to the thoughts of God that are not of this world.

The word Christ means the anointed one, you foolish child. And no man has ascended to heaven and anointed as the successor to the throne of Godhead, except: and that one exception was Enoch the righteous.

for me the Galilean, Jesus, Christ , Christened one, Son of the God all are one and same.... !
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 11:11:35 PM
At 2/24/2015 8:56:29 PM, Gentorev wrote:

Christians have no idea what the anointed one is. They think it's the flesh that's anointed.
freechrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 11:43:25 PM
At 2/24/2015 9:11:20 PM, Idealist wrote:

Off the bat, I would take it to mean that he was going to destroy to false temple and replace it with a true one based on holiness? Jesus did say that those who had transformed the temple into a marketplace had made it a den of inequities.

If it was only about money lenders and market place , the priests would not have gone after Christ ( Jesus) with so much venom. Jesus wanted us to approach God anew in his own way.
He broke the Sabbath (technically ) and when confronted talks about King David making his critics silent.
Jesus was breaking rules(based on religious codes) and was making them in new direction since his return!
the impact of which is huge compared to driving away the money lenders . For ex saving the woman being stoned on accusation of prostitution. He was taking away priest hood from a class of people ( Levites) and instead he paved way that anyone can become a god man (priest) etc...etc... Christ suffocated temple with his new spirituality. They tried consistently by asking questions which will put Christ in conflict with words in scriptures but he was always able to answer them not by breaking the words of the old testament but, by being able to define them beyond what is read...etc...

Finally this may throw some light on what I am trying to convey here:
French revolution was against King and the priest rule whereas the some 1700 years before Christ asked priest to serve the society.... like a servant...
The point is priest always sits on the top of society but, Christ was the only one who asked them to come down...
The point to take is Christ was rapidly making the temple people who define the temple and the religious codes his enemies .
Christ was in 100 % acceptance with temple of god but, has many flags when it came to the methods... he will destroy the methods and raising it again anew in his spirit...

if you have not watched washing the feet above

here is a link to brief article on French revolution - religion
http://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu...