Jump to topic:

Concepts of God from atheists

pachomius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:17:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Atheists describe themselves as just lacking any belief in gods whatever.

I have a crucial question for them:

What is your (atheists') concept of gods?

Pachomius
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:22:38 PM
I do not believe in any concept of God, since I do not believe there to ever have been a God, at least in the way humans have described Him/Her to be. For me, belief in a God is nonessential.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:22:48 PM
If one does exist, then it is a short-sighted, impractical, and overbearing God.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:24:39 PM
I don't except the concept of faith.

So unless I were to define God as myself, as some sense that I have or as existence itself it doesn't really matter.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:25:37 PM
At 7/11/2010 2:24:39 PM, FREEDO wrote:

So unless I were to define God as myself, as some sense that I have or as existence itself it doesn't really matter.

http://www.debate.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:27:38 PM
At 7/11/2010 2:25:37 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

lolwtf
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:28:10 PM

Funny, except God doesn't need to have faith in himself. He knows he exists therefore doesn't need evidence or facts to prove his own existence.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:29:33 PM
I don't have a concept of God, but rather, I reject the concept of God put forth by the majority of the world's population.

"Theists believe that reality's ultimate principle is God—an omnipotent, omniscient, goodness that is the creative ground of everything other than itself. Monotheism is the view that there is only one such God." - http://plato.stanford.edu...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:30:00 PM
At 7/11/2010 2:28:10 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Funny, except God doesn't need to have faith in himself. He knows he exists therefore doesn't need evidence or facts to prove his own existence.

He is almighty therefore he is. - emil d.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:30:20 PM
A fair question. "God", capital G, generally refers to the Judeo-Christian god. "Gods", lowercase G, to me refers to...broadly, anything generally thought of as a "god". The characteristics of gods vary wildly between cultures and times, which makes it a difficult line to draw. It is easier to simply use examples, but a god is a being which is transcendental, immortal (some cultures have non-immortal gods however), conscious, non-mortal (I'm not sure how to define this, what I mean is existing supernaturally) and holds a measure of power or authority over reality or the laws of it. I'm not very good at definitions, however I do wish to exclude concepts like "spirits" or "witches" for example as well as very vague concepts which don't really qualify as "beings".

The term "higher being" kind of sums it up I think. Anything from Zeus and friends to a deist's god.

Hope that helps.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:36:49 PM
At 7/11/2010 2:17:00 PM, pachomius wrote:

Pachomius

I do not know what a squirtlepuff is or a hibbabibbabubbapot.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:44:55 PM

Pachomius

Your description of an Atheist is also....a little lacking, I guess. Here's two types that seem to be accepted:

De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.

Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

Most atheists are De-facto, since reason alone cannot account for 100% certainty.

So, it's not that we "describe ourselves as just lacking any belief in gods whatever", but really because there is no evidence, it seems logically unfounded and it doesn't seem to change our lives by living under the assumption of there being no god/God.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 2:45:23 PM
At 7/11/2010 2:36:49 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Pachomius

I do not know what a squirtlepuff is or a hibbabibbabubbapot.

Dont forget the Machachaunasima and the gobbledegouperitius.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 3:06:26 PM

Pachomius

Gods can be anything.

Since man has never been able to fully understand the world around him he has ascribed the things he cannot explain to the work of "higher beings".

In more primitive times they may have been the sun, the moon and the stars or certain animals and now it is more human-like forms such as Buddha and the Abrahamic "God" / "Allah".
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:01:14 PM
At 7/11/2010 3:06:26 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Pachomius

Gods can be anything.

Since man has never been able to fully understand the world around him he has ascribed the things he cannot explain to the work of "higher beings".

In more primitive times they may have been the sun, the moon and the stars or certain animals and now it is more human-like forms such as Buddha and the Abrahamic "God" / "Allah".

Buddhists don't worship Buddha as God, do they?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:03:44 PM
At 7/11/2010 4:01:14 PM, Denote wrote:
Buddhists don't worship Buddha as God, do they?

Nope. Buddha explicitly denied being a God. I don't know of any sect that thinks he is a God. The only religion that does is Hinduism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:08:32 PM

Pachomius

Any deity worsipped by Theists.
I imagine him as a bearded sky wizard.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:09:00 PM
God/s are a way for cultures and individuals to project their ideas, emotions and justifications unto the real world. Gods of any culture often represent that culture in several ways, whether its the Abrahamic God that caters to the Levant societies, and the various political and cultural realities within them, or the old Greek gods which were curiously focused on the sea and sky, mainstays of Greek life and thought.

Essentially, any God can be explained anthropologically. There is no real mystery behind it that cannot be explained through looking at historical and cultural studies.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:19:05 PM
At 7/11/2010 4:08:32 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Any deity worsipped by Theists.
I imagine him as a bearded sky wizard.

That's actually the traditional idea of God, especially in the Abrahamic tradition. Though, Theists seem to be embarrassed of this idea and vehemently deny it saying it's an immature understanding of God and instead assert something incredibly vague.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
pachomius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:31:30 PM
Perhaps I should have first asked whether atheists are emotionally comfortable with the idea of God in the Christian faith or uncomfortable.

So, here goes:

Are you who call yourself an atheist emotionally comfortable with the idea of God in the Christian faith or uncomfortable, and why?

Pachomius
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:48:28 PM
At 7/11/2010 4:31:30 PM, pachomius wrote:
Perhaps I should have first asked whether atheists are emotionally comfortable with the idea of God in the Christian faith or uncomfortable.

So, here goes:

Are you who call yourself an atheist emotionally comfortable with the idea of God in the Christian faith or uncomfortable, and why?

Pachomius

That seems like an entirely different question and subject.

As for myself, and this seems to be the common feeling, is that...well, first, let me make something clear. There's more than one idea of God, within the Christian faith as well. There is not one idea of the Christian God. There are ideas of "him" as loving, as wrathful, as very human, as simply a "higher being", as jealous, etc. There are many diverging and conflicting ideas of the Christian God from Christians themselves.

I think most atheists would be unhappy if the God of the Bible were real, because of his jealousy, his wrath, his cruelty, his widespread murder and genocide and forcing of people's hands, his intense immorality. I am especially one of these.

As for a loving, forgiving, not-jealous God? Aside from the fact that the way of the world contradicts such a possibility, I and I think most atheists (myself included) would want this to be true. Cerebral is a good example of this, he desperately wants to believe. The fact is, however, we see little evidence of this, and while this seems to be the god Christians say they worship, the Biblical God seems to be the one they really believe in.

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:50:50 PM
At 7/11/2010 4:45:58 PM, Denote wrote:
I'm not an atheist, but what does that even mean?...

What does what mean?

Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:51:49 PM
At 7/11/2010 4:50:50 PM, Yvette wrote:

What does what mean?

That
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:55:24 PM
At 7/11/2010 4:51:49 PM, Denote wrote:
At 7/11/2010 4:50:50 PM, Yvette wrote:

What does what mean?

That

Right...

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 5:15:35 PM
At 7/11/2010 4:48:28 PM, Yvette wrote:

So, here goes:

Pachomius

That seems like an entirely different question and subject.

As for myself, and this seems to be the common feeling, is that...well, first, let me make something clear. There's more than one idea of God, within the Christian faith as well. There is not one idea of the Christian God. There are ideas of "him" as loving, as wrathful, as very human, as simply a "higher being", as jealous, etc. There are many diverging and conflicting ideas of the Christian God from Christians themselves.

I think most atheists would be unhappy if the God of the Bible were real, because of his jealousy, his wrath, his cruelty, his widespread murder and genocide and forcing of people's hands, his intense immorality. I am especially one of these.

I'm always amazed when moral nihlists and/or relativists take such strong moral positions. :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 5:39:25 PM

So, here goes:

Pachomius

I'm highly uncomfortable with the idea of God & his army of dead people in the sky watching me go to the toilet and masterbate.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 5:50:47 PM

I was a Christian for the majority of my life, and not just a luke-warm. I was serious about the Christian faith and was emotionally attached to it. So, obviously, I am capable of being comfortable with this being. However, after further philosophical introspection, I realize God is not desirable.

So, here goes:

"[Belief in God] is a totalitarian belief. It is the wish to be a slave. It is the desire that there be an unalterable, unchallengeable, tyrannical authority who can convict you of thought crime while you are asleep, who can subject you - who must, indeed, subject you - to total surveillance around the clock every waking and sleeping minute of your life - I say, of your life - before you're born and, even worse and where the real fun begins, after you're dead." - Christopher Hitchens
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat