Jump to topic:

The power of Satan ... what power?

Larks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 8:46:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As an agnostic atheist I have to wonder ... why do so many religious people attribute things to "the power of Satan"? Isn't Satan* supposed to be imprisoned, freezing his butt off** and powerless before the power of God?

*I'm going to ignore the question of if there's a difference between Lucifer, Devil and Satan
**admittedly the butt freezing comes from what amounts to Biblical fanfiction***, but so do most descriptions of hell
***Dante's Inferno
Fact: In science, an observation repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as "true." Truth in science, however, is never final. What is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.
Law: A descriptive generalization about how some aspect of the natural world behaves under stated circumstances.
Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 8:55:56 PM
As an agnostic atheist I have to wonder> You have the ISSSSSSSSS Right > we just need the snake symbol> and all is right on this thread . Enjoy
Larks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:15:21 PM
At 2/22/2015 8:55:56 PM, Rant wrote:
As an agnostic atheist I have to wonder> You have the ISSSSSSSSS Right > we just need the snake symbol> and all is right on this thread . Enjoy

Okay, after looking through your posts ... are you a person or a spambot? Especially curious since you seem to consistently hold the shift key when typing periods.
Fact: In science, an observation repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as "true." Truth in science, however, is never final. What is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.
Law: A descriptive generalization about how some aspect of the natural world behaves under stated circumstances.
Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:19:11 PM
At 2/22/2015 8:46:42 PM, Larks wrote:
As an agnostic atheist I have to wonder ... why do so many religious people attribute things to "the power of Satan"? Isn't Satan* supposed to be imprisoned, freezing his butt off** and powerless before the power of God?

*I'm going to ignore the question of if there's a difference between Lucifer, Devil and Satan
**admittedly the butt freezing comes from what amounts to Biblical fanfiction***, but so do most descriptions of hell
***Dante's Inferno

Satan is nothing but a personification of all that humans perceive as evil.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:22:18 PM
At 2/22/2015 9:19:11 PM, Skyangel wrote:

***Dante's Inferno

Satan is nothing but a personification of all that humans perceive as evil.

Just like the demons were cast into pigs making them unholy to the Jews. But Christians have no problem eating pork or bacon.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:03:28 AM

***Dante's Inferno

- I think that's a Christian world view, unless I am wrong. In the Islamic world view, however, God "is the Creator of every thing and He has charge over every thing." (39:62), & so everything to God is equally powerless, wether be it Satan, the Devil, the angels . . .
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.