Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Why do some Christians claim................

JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

Of course it is a religion, and like all the others created by humans with no input from any deity, imo!
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:42:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

And some Christian dogmas have very negative connotations, especially the 'born again' belief.
ethang5
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.
Lupo
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:03:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

To me, religion means rituals and dogmas, and atheism doesn't have any of both.
ethang5
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:19:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

Or say that not going to church is a religion....

http://www.theguardian.com...
At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world " the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

No God business, but plenty of the religion business.

http://www.vice.com...
The service began like an ordinary church service, with a hymn, a rousing and easily sung selection.
Then the preacher bounded onto the stage"tall, bearded, and long-haired, he's Jesus Christ's second coming reimagined as a camp counselor.
.....then the passing around of a collection plate, and finally, a brief, contemplative silence that resembled prayer.


Nope. No religion here.

http://www.christianpost.com...
British comedian Sanderson Jones, one of the founders of the group, said there were "so many things that I like about church, such as the community, and the singing, but there was one thing I didn't like and that was God." He and fellow comedian Pippa Evans decided to "steal the best bits" and form The Sunday Assembly.

With its beginnings in London in January 2013, the group has spread to major U.S. cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, Nashville and New York. Around the world, non-theists are now meeting in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Canada, Hungary and Germany.

In a separate 2013 interview, Jones again explained that he finds a lot of benefits in church, but rejects its central premise of worshiping God.


They don't like God, but love religion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Atheist "church" the Sunday Assembly has become an international phenomenon, boasting 63 "parishes" across the globe.

The business offers non-believers an alternative to a traditional religious service. Services take place twice a month on a Sunday.


Noooo. No religion here.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:26:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

If Christianity is a religion with God as the driving force. Then atheism is the opposite of Christianity and therefore not a religion.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:28:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM, JJ50 wrote:
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

I haven't seen this claim in Australia where I live, but I understand that in the US, Bill O'Reilly and others sometimes say that it's not a religion, but a relationship with God.

This seems to me a grab for yet more privilege. Some have called it special pleading. If you say you're not a religion then your faith don't have to respect the religious freedoms of others. So you can teach it as part of your nation's 'way of life' without being unconstitutional, for example. You can make it pre-eminent in schools, insist on government funding for it, because you're not really funding religion; you're funding nationalism.

The irony in this, JJ, is that most religions emerge from (and thus support) nationalism in the first place. Despite having created the universe, the Christian god Yhwh, for example, was never interested in being a god of all mankind. He was only ever a god of the clannish, insular and highly xenophobic Israelites. In the Bronze age, his only interest in other cultures was how to terrorise or exterminate them, and it seems a bit strange to me that of all the pagan cultures he attacked, not a single one -- not the Philistines, Canaanites or Egyptians -- adopted him to propitiate his filthy temper.

Doesn't it strike you as odd then, that Joshua ben Joseph -- an illiterate Nazarene day-labourer from outside the Jewish priest class -- had anything to preach to anyone else? The Romans barely heard about him prior to his crucifixion. The only people who knew about him were Jews and some trading Greeks immersed in Jewish culture, and so his sermons were given to Jews, and and presumably directed toward Jews, that's the context in which they should be read: as nationalistic Jewish speeches.

Bear in mind that even as late as the 19th century, words like 'man' and 'humanity' didn't apply to people from Africa. Back in the Iron Age when slavery was common, and citizenship only belonged to men of the same ethnicity, do you really believe that a Jewish prophet was preaching to all men? Do you think that the clannish and xenophobic Jews of the day would have accepted that?

The parable of the Good Samaritan... why is it important? Is it really a 'help your neighbour' story? If so, why isn't it about a good Jew helping a Samaritan? Surely, it's a story admonishing Jews not to be too xenophobic -- because even gentiles can help a Jew?

I think when Jesus was preaching to 'men', he was preaching to Jewish men, and anyone the Jews considered friends. Yet, after his rejection by the priests and subsequent death, suddenly his apostles were preaching his words to gentiles. And now today, modern gentiles are trying to read and interpret sermons and meditations given to ancient Jews as though that thought was ever written for them.

Is it any wonder that trying to extract modern morality from Bronze Age Israelite nationalism produces such odd and barbaric results?

So, sure... Christianity wasn't a religion. It was a nationalistic Jewish relationship with a Bronze Age civic god.

But now, that nation is gone. So today, Christianity is an oddly successful, yet disturbingly inappropriate religion, adopted by people it was never really meant for, now trying to interpret everything out of its original, intended context.

Modern Christianity isn't a relationship with God; it's bibliomancy from a How to be a good Jew self-help book. :p
numberwang
Posts: 1,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:29:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 12:19:20 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

Or say that not going to church is a religion....

http://www.theguardian.com...
At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world " the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

No God business, but plenty of the religion business.

http://www.vice.com...
The service began like an ordinary church service, with a hymn, a rousing and easily sung selection.
Then the preacher bounded onto the stage"tall, bearded, and long-haired, he's Jesus Christ's second coming reimagined as a camp counselor.
.....then the passing around of a collection plate, and finally, a brief, contemplative silence that resembled prayer.


Nope. No religion here.

http://www.christianpost.com...
British comedian Sanderson Jones, one of the founders of the group, said there were "so many things that I like about church, such as the community, and the singing, but there was one thing I didn't like and that was God." He and fellow comedian Pippa Evans decided to "steal the best bits" and form The Sunday Assembly.

With its beginnings in London in January 2013, the group has spread to major U.S. cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, Nashville and New York. Around the world, non-theists are now meeting in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Canada, Hungary and Germany.

In a separate 2013 interview, Jones again explained that he finds a lot of benefits in church, but rejects its central premise of worshiping God.


They don't like God, but love religion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Atheist "church" the Sunday Assembly has become an international phenomenon, boasting 63 "parishes" across the globe.

The business offers non-believers an alternative to a traditional religious service. Services take place twice a month on a Sunday.


Noooo. No religion here.

Yeah, so that group of atheists who get together and have services could be said to be religious because they have meetings which resemble religious meetings (and the point for those people, I think, is that they enjoyed the community of believers, just not the beliefs of any church). Atheism as a whole still isn't a religion because it doesn't mandate a moral code or a system behavior, it doesn't have any mandated rituals or services, and it doesn't attempt to explain anything else about the universe or existence.
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Posts: 341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:42:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM, JJ50 wrote:
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

Of course it is a religion, and like all the others created by humans with no input from any deity, imo!

Because they're desperate for some arguments for God. That's why.
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Posts: 341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:43:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

No, Christians are saying it for special pleading. Us atheists can actually back it up.
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:52:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 12:19:20 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

Or say that not going to church is a religion....

http://www.theguardian.com...
At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world " the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

No God business, but plenty of the religion business.

http://www.vice.com...
The service began like an ordinary church service, with a hymn, a rousing and easily sung selection.
Then the preacher bounded onto the stage"tall, bearded, and long-haired, he's Jesus Christ's second coming reimagined as a camp counselor.
.....then the passing around of a collection plate, and finally, a brief, contemplative silence that resembled prayer.


Nope. No religion here.

http://www.christianpost.com...
British comedian Sanderson Jones, one of the founders of the group, said there were "so many things that I like about church, such as the community, and the singing, but there was one thing I didn't like and that was God." He and fellow comedian Pippa Evans decided to "steal the best bits" and form The Sunday Assembly.

With its beginnings in London in January 2013, the group has spread to major U.S. cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, Nashville and New York. Around the world, non-theists are now meeting in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Canada, Hungary and Germany.

In a separate 2013 interview, Jones again explained that he finds a lot of benefits in church, but rejects its central premise of worshiping God.


They don't like God, but love religion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Atheist "church" the Sunday Assembly has become an international phenomenon, boasting 63 "parishes" across the globe.

The business offers non-believers an alternative to a traditional religious service. Services take place twice a month on a Sunday.


Noooo. No religion here.

Nope. Just a bunch of people getting together to have a good time and pleasant conversation. It is only a church for legal purposes so they can get the same tax privileges that theists have had for a long time. No God, no worship, no religion. QED.
ethang5
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:53:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 12:26:39 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

If Christianity is a religion with God as the driving force. Then atheism is the opposite of Christianity and therefore not a religion.

That doesn't seem logical to me. Religions don't need a God to be religions. Plus it depends on how you define opposite. For example, a man can be considered the opposite of a woman, but they are yet both human. Atheism could be the opposite of Christianity but both could still be religions.

My original point was that people who avoid the "religion" title do so out of the same motivation. The negative connotation associated with the word "religion".
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 1:15:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 12:19:20 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

Or say that not going to church is a religion....

http://www.theguardian.com...
At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world " the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

No God business, but plenty of the religion business.

http://www.vice.com...
The service began like an ordinary church service, with a hymn, a rousing and easily sung selection.
Then the preacher bounded onto the stage"tall, bearded, and long-haired, he's Jesus Christ's second coming reimagined as a camp counselor.
.....then the passing around of a collection plate, and finally, a brief, contemplative silence that resembled prayer.


Nope. No religion here.

http://www.christianpost.com...
British comedian Sanderson Jones, one of the founders of the group, said there were "so many things that I like about church, such as the community, and the singing, but there was one thing I didn't like and that was God." He and fellow comedian Pippa Evans decided to "steal the best bits" and form The Sunday Assembly.

With its beginnings in London in January 2013, the group has spread to major U.S. cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, Nashville and New York. Around the world, non-theists are now meeting in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Canada, Hungary and Germany.

In a separate 2013 interview, Jones again explained that he finds a lot of benefits in church, but rejects its central premise of worshiping God.


They don't like God, but love religion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Atheist "church" the Sunday Assembly has become an international phenomenon, boasting 63 "parishes" across the globe.

The business offers non-believers an alternative to a traditional religious service. Services take place twice a month on a Sunday.


Noooo. No religion here.

Looks like you're confusing an atheistic religion with the idea that atheism is a religion. As a comparison, Christianity is a theistic religion, but theism itself is not a religion.
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 1:58:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM, JJ50 wrote:
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

Of course it is a religion, and like all the others created by humans with no input from any deity, imo!

Ok, then also evolution theory is religion and natural history museums are its temples and scientists are its priests and its god is the Mother Nature (="natural selection", naturally).

Christian meant originally disciple of Jesus. They form a group, but I think it is not a religion.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 2:03:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 1:58:56 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM, JJ50 wrote:
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

Of course it is a religion, and like all the others created by humans with no input from any deity, imo!

Ok, then also evolution theory is religion and natural history museums are its temples and scientists are its priests and its god is the Mother Nature (="natural selection", naturally).

Christian meant originally disciple of Jesus. They form a group, but I think it is not a religion.

Fecal matter of a male bovine. If you worship a supernatural deity then you have a religion. Evolutionary theory is based on observation of the natural world, not from any form of 'divinely inspired' writing or personal revelation. You're not comparing apples to orange, you're comparing apples to rocks.
mrsatan
Posts: 418
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 5:30:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Saying atheism is a religion is no different than saying theism is a religion. Either way, it's nonsense. There are theistic religions, and there are atheistic religions, but neither theism or atheism is a religion in and of itself.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
ethang5
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:45:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 1:15:25 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 2/23/2015 12:19:20 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

Or say that not going to church is a religion....

http://www.theguardian.com...
At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world " the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

No God business, but plenty of the religion business.

http://www.vice.com...
The service began like an ordinary church service, with a hymn, a rousing and easily sung selection.
Then the preacher bounded onto the stage"tall, bearded, and long-haired, he's Jesus Christ's second coming reimagined as a camp counselor.
.....then the passing around of a collection plate, and finally, a brief, contemplative silence that resembled prayer.


Nope. No religion here.

http://www.christianpost.com...
British comedian Sanderson Jones, one of the founders of the group, said there were "so many things that I like about church, such as the community, and the singing, but there was one thing I didn't like and that was God." He and fellow comedian Pippa Evans decided to "steal the best bits" and form The Sunday Assembly.

With its beginnings in London in January 2013, the group has spread to major U.S. cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, Nashville and New York. Around the world, non-theists are now meeting in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Canada, Hungary and Germany.

In a separate 2013 interview, Jones again explained that he finds a lot of benefits in church, but rejects its central premise of worshiping God.


They don't like God, but love religion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Atheist "church" the Sunday Assembly has become an international phenomenon, boasting 63 "parishes" across the globe.

The business offers non-believers an alternative to a traditional religious service. Services take place twice a month on a Sunday.


Noooo. No religion here.

Looks like you're confusing an atheistic religion with the idea that atheism is a religion. As a comparison, Christianity is a theistic religion, but theism itself is not a religion.

That is a very good point, though I can see disagreement. I think it's just a quibble so I can accept it. "Atheanity" is an atheist religion.

An atheist can be religious. And atheism does not preclude religiosity.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 8:03:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:45:46 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 1:15:25 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 2/23/2015 12:19:20 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

Or say that not going to church is a religion....

http://www.theguardian.com...
At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world " the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

No God business, but plenty of the religion business.

http://www.vice.com...
The service began like an ordinary church service, with a hymn, a rousing and easily sung selection.
Then the preacher bounded onto the stage"tall, bearded, and long-haired, he's Jesus Christ's second coming reimagined as a camp counselor.
.....then the passing around of a collection plate, and finally, a brief, contemplative silence that resembled prayer.


Nope. No religion here.

http://www.christianpost.com...
British comedian Sanderson Jones, one of the founders of the group, said there were "so many things that I like about church, such as the community, and the singing, but there was one thing I didn't like and that was God." He and fellow comedian Pippa Evans decided to "steal the best bits" and form The Sunday Assembly.

With its beginnings in London in January 2013, the group has spread to major U.S. cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, Nashville and New York. Around the world, non-theists are now meeting in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Canada, Hungary and Germany.

In a separate 2013 interview, Jones again explained that he finds a lot of benefits in church, but rejects its central premise of worshiping God.


They don't like God, but love religion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Atheist "church" the Sunday Assembly has become an international phenomenon, boasting 63 "parishes" across the globe.

The business offers non-believers an alternative to a traditional religious service. Services take place twice a month on a Sunday.


Noooo. No religion here.

Looks like you're confusing an atheistic religion with the idea that atheism is a religion. As a comparison, Christianity is a theistic religion, but theism itself is not a religion.

That is a very good point, though I can see disagreement. I think it's just a quibble so I can accept it. "Atheanity" is an atheist religion.

An atheist can be religious. And atheism does not preclude religiosity.

I think a bunch of Catholics I lack that. Religous atheist.
ethang5
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 12:23:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 8:03:41 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:45:46 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 1:15:25 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 2/23/2015 12:19:20 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

Or say that not going to church is a religion....

http://www.theguardian.com...
At the weekend, the Sunday Assembly launched new services in 35 cities across the world " the largest expansion yet of their 'atheist churches'. Started in January 2013 by British comedians Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, the Sunday Assembly seeks to offer the communal, uplifting aspect of church, without any of the God business.

No God business, but plenty of the religion business.

http://www.vice.com...
The service began like an ordinary church service, with a hymn, a rousing and easily sung selection.
Then the preacher bounded onto the stage"tall, bearded, and long-haired, he's Jesus Christ's second coming reimagined as a camp counselor.
.....then the passing around of a collection plate, and finally, a brief, contemplative silence that resembled prayer.


Nope. No religion here.

http://www.christianpost.com...
British comedian Sanderson Jones, one of the founders of the group, said there were "so many things that I like about church, such as the community, and the singing, but there was one thing I didn't like and that was God." He and fellow comedian Pippa Evans decided to "steal the best bits" and form The Sunday Assembly.

With its beginnings in London in January 2013, the group has spread to major U.S. cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, Nashville and New York. Around the world, non-theists are now meeting in Belgium, Netherlands, New Zealand, Canada, Hungary and Germany.

In a separate 2013 interview, Jones again explained that he finds a lot of benefits in church, but rejects its central premise of worshiping God.


They don't like God, but love religion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Atheist "church" the Sunday Assembly has become an international phenomenon, boasting 63 "parishes" across the globe.

The business offers non-believers an alternative to a traditional religious service. Services take place twice a month on a Sunday.


Noooo. No religion here.

Looks like you're confusing an atheistic religion with the idea that atheism is a religion. As a comparison, Christianity is a theistic religion, but theism itself is not a religion.

That is a very good point, though I can see disagreement. I think it's just a quibble so I can accept it. "Atheanity" is an atheist religion.

An atheist can be religious. And atheism does not preclude religiosity.

I think a bunch of Catholics I lack that. Religous atheist.

So are the majority of Anglicans and Lutherans.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 3:51:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM, JJ50 wrote:
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

Of course it is a religion, and like all the others created by humans with no input from any deity, imo!

They are trying to say "Christianity is not organized religion". This whole trend started because of a guy named Jefferson Bethke with a video called "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus." Once he explained what he thought of the two, people began to think he was both crazy and a genius. SO he started a trend that was hated by both annoyed atheists and theists. I believe organized religion isn't what true Christianity is, but I believe it is still a religion by definition. I just practice it.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 8:43:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 3:51:58 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM, JJ50 wrote:
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

Of course it is a religion, and like all the others created by humans with no input from any deity, imo!

They are trying to say "Christianity is not organized religion". This whole trend started because of a guy named Jefferson Bethke with a video called "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus." Once he explained what he thought of the two, people began to think he was both crazy and a genius. SO he started a trend that was hated by both annoyed atheists and theists. I believe organized religion isn't what true Christianity is, but I believe it is still a religion by definition. I just practice it.

Is there such a thing as 'true' Christianity? Surely as it has so many doctrines, dogmas, sects and cults, it is whatever a person wants it to be?
PureX
Posts: 1,523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 9:03:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Religion is basically what we call the application of some theological proposition, to one's life. It's how a person lives according to the theological beliefs they hold. And this being the case, Christianity is certainly a religion for most people who call themselves 'Christian'. Though, I suppose there may be a few folks who label themselves Christian and yet do nothing in their life according to their understanding of Christianity. But they are rare and mostly irrelevant to this discussion.

But "religion" is one of those categorical words that includes a lot of sub-categories; like "art" or "literature". And so it often happens that people say they are not "religious" even though they are "Christian" (for example). What they mean is that they are not a part of whatever religious sub-category is being discussed, even though they do hold and live by some theological proposition. They are religious in the general sense of the term, but they are not religious in some specific ways.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 2:44:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 8:43:20 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 2/24/2015 3:51:58 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:01:21 AM, JJ50 wrote:
.................Christianity isn't a religion?

Of course it is a religion, and like all the others created by humans with no input from any deity, imo!

They are trying to say "Christianity is not organized religion". This whole trend started because of a guy named Jefferson Bethke with a video called "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus." Once he explained what he thought of the two, people began to think he was both crazy and a genius. SO he started a trend that was hated by both annoyed atheists and theists. I believe organized religion isn't what true Christianity is, but I believe it is still a religion by definition. I just practice it.

Is there such a thing as 'true' Christianity? Surely as it has so many doctrines, dogmas, sects and cults, it is whatever a person wants it to be?

There are many flavors, but you get the same result if it's the right brand. Then you got imposter brands. (Imposter brands Is my idea of referencing back to Slim Jim commercials)
Leugen9001
Posts: 495
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 9:01:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

However, there are philosophies, rituals, and codes of conduct that are shared by most atheists. While atheism itself is not a religion, there are religion-like groups built around atheism; this is just like how linux is not an operating system, but operating systems are built around it.
:) nac
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 8:44:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 9:01:21 PM, Leugen9001 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:58:00 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:52:31 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 2/23/2015 11:38:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because religion tends to have negative connotations.

That is probably the same reason some atheists claim atheism isn't a religion.

Totally wrong. Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god or gods. It has no dogma, no other philosophy, no rituals to observer, no rules of conduct, none of the trappings of any other religion. Might as well say that not collecting coins is a hobby.

However, there are philosophies, rituals, and codes of conduct that are shared by most atheists. While atheism itself is not a religion, there are religion-like groups built around atheism; this is just like how linux is not an operating system, but operating systems are built around it.

" However, there are philosophies, rituals, and codes of conduct that are shared by most atheists"

Name 5

"While atheism itself is not a religion"

Point made.

"this is just like how linux is not an operating system"

Wrong again

Linux is a Unix-like and mostly POSIX-compliant[7] computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution. The defining component of Linux is the Linux kernel,[8] an operating system kernel first released on 5 October 1991 by Linus Torvalds.

http://en.wikipedia.org... for more information.

Please know the facts. If you really want to know what is entailed in being an atheist, ask one, don't have the hubris to believe you know the individual better than the individual knows him or herself. As for atheists as a group, we are as different in beliefs and philosophies as it is possible to be.