Jump to topic:

Fake Religion Part 2

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 3:14:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is an expansion of my previous waffle concerning the benefits of an artificial religion.

Imagine you work in a widget factory, you are paid a flat rate with a performance bonus on top (say minimum wage and some sort of piece work bonus). In an utterly realistic fashion highly productive widget makers are promoted into management. You have a partner, a mortgage, kids and expensive hobbies to support.

You also utterly hate your job, it is the most mind numbing rubbish imaginable, it is possible that trained chimps could replace you.

Naturally you try your hardest to make as many widgets as possible. Your boss is always breathing down neck giving you extra stress.

One day he goes sick, it is in your interests to work your nuts off trying to make as many widgets as possible... but you are utterly depressed by your job and you dont have your boss breathing down your neck. It is a struggle to meet your normal production.

What however if you simply believed your boss still to be there, or if you pretended, and 'acted' as if he was.

It is for this reason I proposed the benefit of an artificial religious system.

Imagine a superior being, don't worry if it is a supreme being or anything like that. Just a superior, advanced, benign being. If you had to account your life to him might it not make you more productive, successful and happy?

Is it not beneficial to construct such a 'God', or it could even be a future version of your self, to act as a focus and inspiration?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 3:34:48 PM
If you had to account your life to him might it not make you more productive, successful and happy?

Except you haven't shown that theists are happier and atheists are sadder, theists productive and atheists unproductive, theists successful and atheists unsuccessful.

In your situation, the person hates their job and won't do their work without being forced to. I can hardly say this analogy fits for many, many of us love life, love specific things in it, and even theists are motivated by things not of their god.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 3:41:01 PM
At 7/12/2010 3:34:48 PM, Yvette wrote:
If you had to account your life to him might it not make you more productive, successful and happy?

Except you haven't shown that theists are happier and atheists are sadder, theists productive and atheists unproductive, theists successful and atheists unsuccessful.

In your situation, the person hates their job and won't do their work without being forced to. I can hardly say this analogy fits for many, many of us love life, love specific things in it, and even theists are motivated by things not of their god.

I feel so special.

In responce to your fake religion idea, is that not how every religion started?

Its just after many years people will actually believe what their told, and it doesn't seem fake to them anymore.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 3:50:29 PM
At 7/12/2010 3:14:36 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
What however if you simply believed your boss still to be there, or if you pretended, and 'acted' as if he was.

You should be motivated to work hard to sustain your position and not get fired, motivated because it's how you earn your living. Not because a boss scares you into doing stuff.

No benefits. I already experienced believing in a strict space daddy that kept me in fear.

Imagine a superior being, don't worry if it is a supreme being or anything like that. Just a superior, advanced, benign being.

In that case, why wouldn't aliens suffice. The Annunaki seeded life here thousands of years ago, so they could suit as your creator and superior.

Is it not beneficial to construct such a 'God', or it could even be a future version of your self, to act as a focus and inspiration?

No. Being in a constant state of fear is not fun. Plus, a God would not make me more productive, it would stifle motivation. With God, you can sit back and do nothing because he is in control of everything.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 3:58:33 PM
"When one falls back on creation by a Supreme Being as being essential, there is no desire [motivation], no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should and shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered and unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative." - the Buddha
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 4:10:04 PM
Just as Pascals Wager doesn't work because you can't choose to believe in something, neither will this. At least not for me anyway.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 4:12:44 PM

If the only way you will ever find focus and inspiration is through constructing a God, then yes; it could be beneficial for you. But why can you only find inspiration through a God? Why is a higher being so important to you; that living without one renders your life empty?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 12:57:58 AM

True, however surely they should be? Not much of an argument I know.

Yes, but your still a student aren't you?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 12:59:55 AM
At 7/12/2010 3:41:01 PM, lovelife wrote:

I feel so special.

In responce to your fake religion idea, is that not how every religion started?

No, religion started as an attempt to explain the world around us.

Its just after many years people will actually believe what their told, and it doesn't seem fake to them anymore.

True, not mutually exclusive.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 1:00:29 AM
If you have to create something you know to be false, and make yourself believe in the falsity, then I think a psychiatrist would help you tons.
I miss the old members.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 1:06:21 AM
At 7/12/2010 3:50:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You should be motivated to work hard to sustain your position and not get fired, motivated because it's how you earn your living. Not because a boss scares you into doing stuff.

Read the original post.

No benefits. I already experienced believing in a strict space daddy that kept me in fear.

Again read the original post, it does not have to be about fear.

Imagine a superior being, don't worry if it is a supreme being or anything like that. Just a superior, advanced, benign being.

In that case, why wouldn't aliens suffice. The Annunaki seeded life here thousands of years ago, so they could suit as your creator and superior.

If that fits as a fictitious construct that you can engage with then yes it would. We are not talking about an actually intellectual belief system.

No. Being in a constant state of fear is not fun. Plus, a God would not make me more productive, it would stifle motivation. With God, you can sit back and do nothing because he is in control of everything.

No again you are ignoring large sections of the original post. We get that you stand in opposition to God (that you don't believe in). In your case it could be an imaginary alien scientist judging an experiment, David Icke, or a future version of yourself.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 1:07:21 AM
At 7/12/2010 3:58:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"When one falls back on creation by a Supreme Being as being essential, there is no desire [motivation], no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should and shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered and unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative." - the Buddha

The quote is not relevant to this thread.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 1:11:04 AM
At 7/13/2010 1:07:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

You are trying to argue that belief in a Supreme Being is beneficial and motivates one to be productive. This quote explains that relying on a Supreme Being stifles the motive to act, the discernment of what should be done, and this belief leaves you bewildered and unworthy of being considered a contemplative.

Not sure why you don't understand that. It's quite clear.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 1:11:39 AM
At 7/13/2010 1:00:29 AM, Atheism wrote:
If you have to create something you know to be false, and make yourself believe in the falsity, then I think a psychiatrist would help you tons.

No one is arguing to believe in a falsity.

Have you read a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

It provides a tongue in cheek example of what I am saying, in part of it Arthur Dent encounters a woman who in order to increase her efficiency pretends that everytime she has to do something she has a broken arm and is under fire. She has gadgets to immobilise her arm and to simulate laser noises. She is not mad, she is attempting to simulate stress because that provides her with greater motivation.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 1:47:36 AM
At 7/13/2010 1:11:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It provides a tongue in cheek example of what I am saying, in part of it Arthur Dent encounters a woman who in order to increase her efficiency pretends that everytime she has to do something she has a broken arm and is under fire. She has gadgets to immobilise her arm and to simulate laser noises. She is not mad, she is attempting to simulate stress because that provides her with greater motivation.

However, to get the desired effects, you must delude yourself to some level or other, which, depending on the situation you delude yourself into, is not very healthy. For example, if you made yourself believe(something hard enough) in a god(Makes your task horribly hard) sufficiently enough that you actually do believe you will die/get fire from failing your job, the mental trauma may be severe.
I miss the old members.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:04:03 AM
At 7/13/2010 1:11:04 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/13/2010 1:07:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

You are trying to argue that belief in a Supreme Being is beneficial and motivates one to be productive. This quote explains that relying on a Supreme Being stifles the motive to act, the discernment of what should be done, and this belief leaves you bewildered and unworthy of being considered a contemplative.

Not sure why you don't understand that. It's quite clear.

Superior, not supreme.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:06:10 AM
This is an expansion of my previous waffle concerning the benefits of an artificial religion.

Imagine you work in a widget factory, you are paid a flat rate with a performance bonus on top (say minimum wage and some sort of piece work bonus). In an utterly realistic fashion highly productive widget makers are promoted into management. You have a partner, a mortgage, kids and expensive hobbies to support.

You also utterly hate your job, it is the most mind numbing rubbish imaginable, it is possible that trained chimps could replace you.

Naturally you try your hardest to make as many widgets as possible. Your boss is always breathing down neck giving you extra stress.

One day he goes sick, it is in your interests to work your nuts off trying to make as many widgets as possible... but you are utterly depressed by your job and you dont have your boss breathing down your neck. It is a struggle to meet your normal production.

Imagine a superior being, don't worry if it is a supreme being or anything like that. Just a superior, advanced, benign being. If you had to account your life to him might it not make you more productive, successful and happy?

If this is how an atheist believes a person of faith lives, and thinks, then i now have a better understanding of why an atheist would reject God. It's so not it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:06:54 AM
At 7/13/2010 1:47:36 AM, Atheism wrote:

However, to get the desired effects, you must delude yourself to some level or other, which, depending on the situation you delude yourself into, is not very healthy. For example, if you made yourself believe(something hard enough) in a god(Makes your task horribly hard) sufficiently enough that you actually do believe you will die/get fire from failing your job, the mental trauma may be severe.

I delude myself everytime I watch a play or a film or read a novel. It is called suspension of disbelief. It causes no harm, I did not after watching Avatar demand Obama be impeached for crimes against the Na'vi.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:08:12 AM
At 7/13/2010 2:06:10 AM, innomen wrote:
If this is how an atheist believes a person of faith lives, and thinks, then i now have a better understanding of why an atheist would reject God. It's so not it.

Then what is it ?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:08:37 AM

You have almost certainly not understood the post, just like everyone else. The fault must therefore be with me. I'll try again some other time.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:08:50 AM
At 7/13/2010 2:06:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 7/13/2010 1:47:36 AM, Atheism wrote:

I delude myself everytime I watch a play or a film or read a novel. It is called suspension of disbelief. It causes no harm, I did not after watching Avatar demand Obama be impeached for crimes against the Na'vi.
The level of delusion is imperative to my point. Besides, stress is unhealthy in the long term.
I miss the old members.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:11:52 AM
At 7/13/2010 2:08:37 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

You have almost certainly not understood the post, just like everyone else. The fault must therefore be with me. I'll try again some other time.
I understand it, I just like picking apart things. But, the gist of your idea seems good. You could've just shortened it and said, "Make a good, amazing, perfect, role-model, then work towards it it."
However, knowing you'll never reach that perfect thing is somewhat detrimental to your mental health.
I miss the old members.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2010 2:12:01 AM
At 7/13/2010 2:08:37 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Why do you assume i didn't understand your post? There was nothing cryptic in your writing. I just don't think you understand the other side. I don't say that with condescension, just an observation.
Anacharsis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 9:51:25 PM

This being is your own highest consciousness. You are accountable to it.