Jump to topic:

God justice mercy

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 8:56:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There is an argument that God can't be both just and merciful to all people all the time.

The argument is based on justice people getting what they deserve, nothing more nothing less.

Mercy is based on some one not getting what they deserve.

As such just and mercy are logical contradictory of one another.

Yes ? no ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:13:02 PM
At 2/24/2015 8:56:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is an argument that God can't be both just and merciful to all people all the time.

The argument is based on justice people getting what they deserve, nothing more nothing less.

Yes ? no ?

God is just and meciful according to His own version.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:15:21 PM
At 2/24/2015 8:56:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Yes ? no ?

There are arguments about everything said in the Bible, and plenty which aren't. :-/ The way I have understood it said, Jesus' death was supposed to wipe the slate clean and give people things they didn't deserve on their own. Didn't he say that not one person was worthy of salvation, or something like that?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:39:23 PM
Nope.

"I believe that justice and mercy are simply one and the same thing; without justice to the full there can be no mercy, and without mercy to the full there can be no justice; that such is the mercy of God that he will hold his children in the consuming fire of his distance until they pay the uttermost farthing, until they drop the purse of selfishness with all the dross that is in it, and rush home to the Father and the Son, and the many brethren"rush inside the centre of the life-giving fire whose outer circles burn. I believe that no hell will be lacking which would help the just mercy of God to redeem his children"

-- George MacDonald

"Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy; for thou renderest to every man according to his work." PSALM 62:12

"This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Administer true justice: show mercy and compassion to one another'" (Zechariah 7:9).

""Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you mercy. For the LORD is a God of justice" (Isaiah 30:18).

They both require the same thing to God.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:42:45 PM
At 2/24/2015 9:39:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Nope.

"I believe that justice and mercy are simply one and the same thing; without justice to the full there can be no mercy, and without mercy to the full there can be no justice; that such is the mercy of God that he will hold his children in the consuming fire of his distance until they pay the uttermost farthing, until they drop the purse of selfishness with all the dross that is in it, and rush home to the Father and the Son, and the many brethren"rush inside the centre of the life-giving fire whose outer circles burn. I believe that no hell will be lacking which would help the just mercy of God to redeem his children"

-- George MacDonald

"Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy; for thou renderest to every man according to his work." PSALM 62:12

"This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Administer true justice: show mercy and compassion to one another'" (Zechariah 7:9).

""Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you mercy. For the LORD is a God of justice" (Isaiah 30:18).

What I was getting at is the logical contradiction of mercy and just that being getting what you deserve & not getting what you deserve.

If you think what you said is a counter please explain it more clearly.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:45:30 PM
At 2/24/2015 9:42:45 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Nope.

-- George MacDonald

What I was getting at is the logical contradiction of mercy and just that being getting what you deserve & not getting what you deserve.

I'm saying that they are not opposed because they both require the same thing: getting what you deserve.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 10:27:41 PM
At 2/24/2015 9:45:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/24/2015 9:42:45 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Nope.

-- George MacDonald

I'm saying that they are not opposed because they both require the same thing: getting what you deserve.

Justice/fairness is the exact opposite of mercy. A state of something being just is the rules being applied WITHOUT mercy, the rules are plainly made clear, same with the punishment. Should anyone violate that, indeed that is INjustice, and unfair.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...