GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:34:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
P1) ??????????
C1) Therefore my race is superior to yours

Racist logic disregards what it would be like if race B discriminated against race A and discriminates against them, sometimes on an ill-defined basis. How is that logical?
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:37:14 AM
At 2/25/2015 8:34:29 AM, GamrDeb8rBbrH8r wrote:
P1) ??????????

Racist logic disregards what it would be like if race B discriminated against race A and discriminates against them, sometimes on an ill-defined basis. How is that logical?

Racism is inherently illogical and is nothing but an excuse for those feeble minds that need a scapegoat for the bad things happening in their lives, among other things.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:41:07 AM
At 2/25/2015 8:37:14 AM, dhardage wrote:
P1) ??????????

Racism is inherently illogical and is nothing but an excuse for those feeble minds that need a scapegoat for the bad things happening in their lives, among other things.

There is no excuse for racism which is very nasty indeed!
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 11:02:36 AM
At 2/25/2015 8:37:14 AM, dhardage wrote:
P1) ??????????

Very unfalse.
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:30:21 PM
What in the world does racism have to do with religion?
"Perhaps the atheist cannot find God for the same reason the thief cannot find a policeman"

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:32:25 PM
At 2/25/2015 12:30:21 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

How about the fact that religion has been used for centuries to justify racism up to and including slavery?
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:34:40 PM
At 2/25/2015 12:32:25 PM, dhardage wrote:

How about the fact that religion has been used for centuries to justify racism up to and including slavery?

In almost all cases, it is a last justification, added on later on to provide people with a reason to be racist.

Stop lying about history for atheism.
"Perhaps the atheist cannot find God for the same reason the thief cannot find a policeman"

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:36:52 PM
At 2/25/2015 12:34:40 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

In almost all cases, it is a last justification, added on later on to provide people with a reason to be racist.

" In almost all cases, it is a last justification, added on later on to provide people with a reason to be racist."

I wasn't lying, according to your own words. I didn't say it was the first or a good justification, even though the Christian bible does say it's ok for Jews to own non-Jews. That's pretty straight forward racism to me.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:39:00 PM
At 2/25/2015 12:36:52 PM, dhardage wrote:

" In almost all cases, it is a last justification, added on later on to provide people with a reason to be racist."

I wasn't lying, according to your own words. I didn't say it was the first or a good justification, even though the Christian bible does say it's ok for Jews to own non-Jews. That's pretty straight forward racism to me.

You were quite clearly trying to insinuate religion is some kind of tihng that instantly generates racism or hate, when in fact hate often twists it to provide justification for itself.

Further the Bible doesn't say that, it just says some forms of ownership of people are okay. If you're a capitalist, you'll probably agree that that's okay.

Next.

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:51:20 PM
At 2/25/2015 12:39:00 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

You were quite clearly trying to insinuate religion is some kind of tihng that instantly generates racism or hate, when in fact hate often twists it to provide justification for itself.

Further the Bible doesn't say that, it just says some forms of ownership of people are okay. If you're a capitalist, you'll probably agree that that's okay.

Next.

Read your holy book again. It's very specific about releasing a fellow Jew after 7 years but you can own a non-Jew for life. Once again, I never said religion generates racism, I said very specifically that it has been used to justify racism. I was quite plain and clear yet you wish see other things in it.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:36:26 PM
At 2/25/2015 12:51:20 PM, dhardage wrote:

Next.

Read your holy book again. It's very specific about releasing a fellow Jew after 7 years but you can own a non-Jew for life. Once again, I never said religion generates racism, I said very specifically that it has been used to justify racism. I was quite plain and clear yet you wish see other things in it.

You said "over the centuries" so it's quite obvious you were referring to many events being justified by religion that were absolutely not historically justified solely by religion. And "wish see" doesn't mean anything. Why would I "wish see" something against my religion?

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:39:06 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:36:26 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

Next.

You said "over the centuries" so it's quite obvious you were referring to many events being justified by religion that were absolutely not historically justified solely by religion. And "wish see" doesn't mean anything. Why would I "wish see" something against my religion?

I have no clue. Perhaps you should examine your own thoughts more closely.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:40:31 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:39:06 PM, dhardage wrote:

Next.

Or you could just be wrong. But I forgot, you're an atheist, so obviously you're superior to me and intellectually incapable of simply being wrong.

How much history have you actually looked at, btw?

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:45:37 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:40:31 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

Next.

Or you could just be wrong. But I forgot, you're an atheist, so obviously you're superior to me and intellectually incapable of simply being wrong.

At no point have I claimed to be your superior in any way. I made an observation about religion (not just yours, by the way) being used to justify racism. You chose to take it as an attack on you in some fashion. I admit that I am only a dabbler in history, my education and degrees being in technical fields. That said, it doesn't take a degree in history to read about the things that happened in various cultures an locations around the world. Oh, and what are your scholarly credentials, since we're on the subject. If you're an authority on the subject perhaps I could get some information and edification from you. Where did you take your study in history and what degree was conferred on you, please?
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:48:26 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:45:37 PM, dhardage wrote:

Next.

At no point have I claimed to be your superior in any way. I made an observation about religion (not just yours, by the way) being used to justify racism. You chose to take it as an attack on you in some fashion. I admit that I am only a dabbler in history, my education and degrees being in technical fields. That said, it doesn't take a degree in history to read about the things that happened in various cultures an locations around the world. Oh, and what are your scholarly credentials, since we're on the subject. If you're an authority on the subject perhaps I could get some information and edification from you. Where did you take your study in history and what degree was conferred on you, please?

You were wrong, dude, just get over it. Religion has never been used as justifying raism, only as something that's tacked on to give racism meaning.

Read a little about history and maybe you won't make such laughable mistakes, which a lot of people in this forum will be laughing at for some time.

Thanks for the stand-up though. My advice is go professional.

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:53:09 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:48:26 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

Next.

You were wrong, dude, just get over it. Religion has never been used as justifying raism, only as something that's tacked on to give racism meaning.

Read a little about history and maybe you won't make such laughable mistakes, which a lot of people in this forum will be laughing at for some time.

So you have no academic standing. Ok. My advice to you is to know what you're talking about before you talk. I'm sure others have had their share of amusement at your expense as well. Good day, young man.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:55:39 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:53:09 PM, dhardage wrote:

Next.

So you have no academic standing. Ok. My advice to you is to know what you're talking about before you talk. I'm sure others have had their share of amusement at your expense as well. Good day, young man.

Anyone who has google is cringing at your ridiculous assertion, that's the problem though, little man.

If you have the balls though you could show me one example of a historical incident where religion inspired racism. Looking forward to not hearing from ya xD

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 2:09:33 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:55:39 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

Next.

Anyone who has google is cringing at your ridiculous assertion, that's the problem though, little man.

If you have the balls though you could show me one example of a historical incident where religion inspired racism. Looking forward to not hearing from ya xD

At no point did I say inspire, I said justify. All one need to is look back at our own nation's history and find out that religion was used to justify the enslavement of black Africans to work on our cotton plantations, among other things. Now, boy, try and read what is written, not what you think I might have said. Open a few books about different cultures and look at the caste systems justified by the Hindu faith, among others. Get a clue and realize yours is not the only religion in the world.
PapaNolan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 2:23:10 PM
P1) ??????????

It is in human nature to believe that your group/self is superior is another. I personally am not racist, but being racist is a human trait. I think the question is hypocritical.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 2:27:36 PM
At 2/25/2015 2:23:10 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
P1) ??????????

It is in human nature to believe that your group/self is superior is another. I personally am not racist, but being racist is a human trait. I think the question is hypocritical.

Racism is an attitude that can be controlled and, in large part, eliminated through education and compassion. It is easy to adopt any racial attitudes held by parents, religious or civil authorities, or peer groups but it doesn't have to remain part of your thought processes once you realize it is both illogical and unproductive.
PapaNolan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 2:30:59 PM
At 2/25/2015 2:27:36 PM, dhardage wrote:
P1) ??????????

Racism is an attitude that can be controlled and, in large part, eliminated through education and compassion. It is easy to adopt any racial attitudes held by parents, religious or civil authorities, or peer groups but it doesn't have to remain part of your thought processes once you realize it is both illogical and unproductive.

I agree
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 3:14:00 PM
P1) ??????????

Where did Jesus get his racist attitude from?

Mather 10:5 Jesus sent out the twelve apostles with these instructions: "Don't go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans,
PapaNolan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 3:18:05 PM
At 2/25/2015 3:14:00 PM, Harikrish wrote:
P1) ??????????

Mather 10:5 Jesus sent out the twelve apostles with these instructions: "Don't go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans,

The Bible has nothing to do with mental philosophy.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 3:24:52 PM
At 2/25/2015 2:09:33 PM, dhardage wrote:

Next.

At no point did I say inspire, I said justify. All one need to is look back at our own nation's history and find out that religion was used to justify the enslavement of black Africans to work on our cotton plantations, among other things.

No no it wasn't. It was not justified by any of the people slave trading.

Now, boy, try and read what is written, not what you think I might have said.

You said religion justified racism. That's fvcking stupid and untrue. Then you got all defensive when I questioned your assumption.

Open a few books about different cultures and look at the caste systems justified by the Hindu faith, among others.

The caste systems were justified by British imperialism in India, which moved it's class system there.

Get a clue and realize yours is not the only religion in the world.

Realize being an atheist doesn't make you immune to criticism.

Nor does it make you smart.

--G.K Chesterton
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 3:37:54 PM
At 2/25/2015 3:24:52 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

Next.

At no point did I say inspire, I said justify. All one need to is look back at our own nation's history and find out that religion was used to justify the enslavement of black Africans to work on our cotton plantations, among other things.

I didn't say it actually justified it, I said it was used as justification. Once again, read some history.

You said religion justified racism. That's fvcking stupid and untrue. Then you got all defensive when I questioned your assumption.

I said it was used to justify racism. Once again, read what I wrote and not what you think I might have said.

By the way, obscenity is the first refuge of the ignorant. Try being a bit less, ok?

Open a few books about different cultures and look at the caste systems justified by the Hindu faith, among others.

The caste systems were justified by British imperialism in India, which moved it's class system there.

Sorry, many scholars suggest that castes existed in India long before the British took over. What the British did was use that system as a 'divide and conquer' methodology, granting higher castes better jobs and letting them feel superior to their lower caste countrymen. What better way to control a subjugated population of an Imperial colonial nation than use their own prejudices and religious beliefs agains them?

I never said it did. If you have a legitimate criticism then by all means state it. If you keep changing what I said and misquoting me, well, that only shows you have your own axe to grind.

You're right. Being atheist doesn't make me smarter, being smarter makes me smarter.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 3:58:17 PM
At 2/25/2015 3:37:54 PM, dhardage wrote:

Next.

I didn't say it actually justified it, I said it was used as justification. Once again, read some history.

I said it was used to justify racism. Once again, read what I wrote and not what you think I might have said.

By the way, obscenity is the first refuge of the ignorant. Try being a bit less, ok?

Sorry, many scholars suggest that castes existed in India long before the British took over. What the British did was use that system as a 'divide and conquer' methodology, granting higher castes better jobs and letting them feel superior to their lower caste countrymen. What better way to control a subjugated population of an Imperial colonial nation than use their own prejudices and religious beliefs agains them?

I never said it did. If you have a legitimate criticism then by all means state it. If you keep changing what I said and misquoting me, well, that only shows you have your own axe to grind.

You're right. Being atheist doesn't make me smarter, being smarter makes me smarter.

Sorry drhardage my "boy" yous still haven't sourced any of your assertions about religious justification of hate. So I'm gonna take that as an admission that you can't prove that and take your pedantic jabs at me as proof of your ignorance of the topic. I'm sorry I rattled your single brain cell around a bit there.

--G.K Chesterton
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 4:01:58 PM

The tribal mentality applies equally to both. It demeans everyone that is "not us." Religion does the same. They are virtually identical, in that regard.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 4:06:27 PM
At 2/25/2015 3:58:17 PM, PolyCarp wrote:
At 2/25/2015 3:37:54 PM, dhardage wrote:

Next.

Sorry drhardage my "boy" yous still haven't sourced any of your assertions about religious justification of hate. So I'm gonna take that as an admission that you can't prove that and take your pedantic jabs at me as proof of your ignorance of the topic. I'm sorry I rattled your single brain cell around a bit there.

And here come the personal attacks, a sure sign that you have no real come back. Yes, I said boy because you are nearly 35 years younger than I and show a decided lack of maturity. I note that you did not
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 4:14:07 PM

That is not racist. Racist/racism is defined as: a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another/the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

https://www.google.com...
https://www.google.com...

Jews are not a race. http://www.jewfaq.org...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 4:29:00 PM
At 2/25/2015 3:18:05 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
At 2/25/2015 3:14:00 PM, Harikrish wrote:
P1) ??????????

The Bible has nothing to do with mental philosophy.

That is not true. Jesus made many outrageous claims. On several occasions He was threatened with stoning by the crowds for blaspheming. At the synagogue they were both shocked and amazed by his claims.

Matthew 13: 54and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?
55Is not this the carpenter"s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?
56And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?" 57And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household."
58And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.

The people began to question his audacity. They concluded he was a liar and a lunatic. But unfortunately he was tried, convicted and put to death for blasphemy which was punishable by death. So mental evaluation was a consideration. But blasphemy laws overruled such considerations.

Today there is less ambiguity about certain beliefs.

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

Quote:
An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness.

In response to a question about the future of neuroscience, Taylor said that "One of the surprises may be to see people with certain beliefs as people who can be treated," The Times of London notes."