Jump to topic:

Atheism not rational

PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:52:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Atheism is one of the least rational beliefs which has ever existed. And yes, I call it a belief, because atheism is the belief that there is no God, as specified by academics.[1]

The reason why atheists are irrational is that there are multiple things above nature which any rational person cannot deny (i.e consciousness, metaphysical truths), and belief things above nature is part of theistic world-views. Not believing in such a world-view means you cannot really hold such things exist. You cannot really be thinking of things, and thus cannot think about the world, or use reason to work out how it works. Anyone who does that and is an atheist is holding two sets of books.
"Perhaps the atheist cannot find God for the same reason the thief cannot find a policeman"

--G.K Chesterton
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 2:02:34 PM
At 2/25/2015 1:52:30 PM, PolyCarp wrote:
Atheism is one of the least rational beliefs which has ever existed. And yes, I call it a belief, because atheism is the belief that there is no God, as specified by academics.[1]

The reason why atheists are irrational is that there are multiple things above nature which any rational person cannot deny (i.e consciousness, metaphysical truths), and belief things above nature is part of theistic world-views. Not believing in such a world-view means you cannot really hold such things exist. You cannot really be thinking of things, and thus cannot think about the world, or use reason to work out how it works. Anyone who does that and is an atheist is holding two sets of books.

The rational person will tell you that refuting naturalism (which you spend your entire OPmattempting to do) does not entail theism. Atheism =/= naturalism. Atheists can quite happily hold the view of substance dualism, platonism etc and not be committed to theism.

What you are proposing is simply a non sequitur.

Personally I am a naturalist, but refuting it wouldn't make me any more likely to be a theist. Theism needs to stand on its own two legs.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 2:12:22 PM

First, a-theism, not a theist, meaning lack of belief in a deity or deities. First error.

The rest of your rant is full if misstatements and poor reasoning.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 7:18:59 PM

How is consciousness above nature?

I deny metaphysical truth. Prove me wrong.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:40:36 PM

Forgot footnote

[1] http://plato.stanford.edu...
"Perhaps the atheist cannot find God for the same reason the thief cannot find a policeman"

--G.K Chesterton
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 10:06:20 PM
At 2/25/2015 8:40:36 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

Forgot footnote

Your contentions prove to the likes of you that a belief in the existence of giant puce coloured dragons is rational.
Have fun trying to find someone who agrees with that insanity.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 10:12:35 PM
At 2/25/2015 10:06:20 PM, bulproof wrote:

Forgot footnote

Your contentions prove to the likes of you that a belief in the existence of giant puce coloured dragons is rational.

Haven't you got better things to do in life than (poorly) troll religious people on-line?

--G.K Chesterton
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 10:28:05 PM

One thing that is certain to exist is the usage of poor logic. I mean come on.. you indirectly argue that conciousness is some thing above nature. It is probably safe to infer you believe the soul is conciousness you take with you into the afterlife while forgetting that the soul used to be belived to be in everything from the stomach to heart to brain. It is irational to belive conciousness is not part of nature. Just because you belive something is metaphysical does not mean it is.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 11:07:39 PM

Metaphysical truths; but do you care to elaborate?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 11:10:09 PM
At 2/25/2015 7:18:59 PM, dee-em wrote:

Being proven wrong presupposes the thing you are arguing against.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 11:43:46 PM
At 2/25/2015 11:10:09 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

You're an idiot. Prove me wrong.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:25:55 AM
At 2/25/2015 11:43:46 PM, dee-em wrote:

That couldn't have been true since truth doesnt exist
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:31:25 AM
At 2/26/2015 12:25:55 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Your statement can't be true since truth doesn't exist. Therefore my presupposition that you are an idiot holds until you prove me wrong.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:36:36 AM
Atheism is one of the least rational beliefs which has ever existed.

There are no doctrinal rationales for atheism, PolyCarp, so there are many different reasons for rejecting religion.

Some are emotional: I know atheists who are simply offended by the claims religion asserts, or who are repelled by religious life. But many religious people have similarly emotional beliefs, and expect them to be respected. So if you disrespect emotional atheists, mustn't you also disrespect the many emotional religious?

Yet not all atheism is emotional, and not all requires belief in an uncreated universe. Many atheists are agnostic about creation, and some believe in a created universe; they just don't accept that creating a universe entails worshiping a creator.

Since there's no strong argument that it should, it doesn't strike me as terribly irrational that one shouldn't.
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:43:52 AM
At 2/25/2015 10:28:05 PM, slo1 wrote:

One thing that is certain to exist is the usage of poor logic. I mean come on.. you indirectly argue that conciousness is some thing above nature. It is probably safe to infer you believe the soul is conciousness you take with you into the afterlife while forgetting that the soul used to be belived to be in everything from the stomach to heart to brain. It is irational to belive conciousness is not part of nature. Just because you belive something is metaphysical does not mean it is.

It's actually a vexed question whether such things as you describe exist in the philosophical sense of existence. read up on the anlalytic-synthetic distinction. Some things may exist as emergent features of the world while also being a bi-product of the objects in the world.

--G.K Chesterton
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 1:14:38 AM

Ha. What are some of these metaphysical truths you mention?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 1:16:10 AM
At 2/25/2015 10:12:35 PM, PolyCarp wrote:
At 2/25/2015 10:06:20 PM, bulproof wrote:

Forgot footnote

Haven't you got better things to do in life than (poorly) troll religious people on-line?
You should have a need for real knowledge.
BTW Pointing out the inanity of your claims is not trolling.
If you can't handle the heat little fella then get out of the kitchen.
Now about these giant puce dragons you consider to be a highly rational contention, what do you have?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 3:08:40 AM

I see your appeal to authority and raise it multiple dissenting sources:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

The reason why atheists are irrational is that there are multiple things above nature which any rational person cannot deny (i.e consciousness, metaphysical truths),

Nonsense. Consciousness isn't 'above' nature, it is a part of it. I deny any metaphysical reality in an ontological sense; maths exists, but not in the way implied by a (neo-)Platonic position. It is perfectly rational to hold both these positions.

If you dispute either of these positions, please feel free to point to an example of consciousness that isn't wholly immersed in the natural world or tell me where I can find the 'form' of the number 9.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 3:18:02 AM

If your going to defend your position, you must be honest. Atheism is not a belief unless you can provide what it is they believe as all atheists. Also, you labeled a (1) but didn't show the source in your post. So I doubt academics has evidence of this.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 3:18:28 AM

Forgot footnote

Nvm
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:37:38 AM

There is nothing rational in believing the deities which humans worship actually exist. The Biblical deity has all the worst of human failings, and nothing good about it!

A deity of some sort could just possibly exist, but I bet if that is the case it isn't anything like the human imaginings!
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 11:00:10 AM
At 2/26/2015 12:31:25 AM, dee-em wrote:

Your statement can't be true since truth doesn't exist. Therefore my presupposition that you are an idiot holds until you prove me wrong.

Actually we couldn't have any exchange of information if truth didn't exist so any statements made by the person that presupposes "truth" doesn't exist is babbling nonsense.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 7:18:02 PM
At 2/26/2015 11:00:10 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 2/26/2015 12:31:25 AM, dee-em wrote:

Actually we couldn't have any exchange of information if truth didn't exist so any statements made by the person that presupposes "truth" doesn't exist is babbling nonsense.

Well, you made the idiotic pronouncement that truth (not metaphysical truth) doesn't exist. Thank you for confirming that you are babbling nonsense. Most of us already knew that, of course.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 7:21:06 PM

Are you going to respond to my reply?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:55:29 PM

That's probably the way most theists view atheists. They say, as theists, we believe in God, hence they automatically assume atheists don't believe in God. And, since theists hold these beliefs, they assume everyone else does, too.

But, it's not really like that. Atheists understand the arguments, holy books, and rituals of religions are simply not compelling enough to accept as valid or real. Gods are indistinguishable from many entities now considered mythological.

Atheists don't need to hold beliefs because they understand things, instead. And, if you believe something, you may very well not understand it, but if you understand something, you have no reason to believe in it. That's why atheism is not a belief system.

I've read that a few times over and really have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 9:09:54 PM

Consciousness is a product of a physical brain. That one taken care of. Demonstrate a metaphysical truth exist.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 12:27:03 AM
At 2/25/2015 2:02:34 PM, Envisage wrote:

The rational person will tell you that refuting naturalism (which you spend your entire OPmattempting to do) does not entail theism. Atheism =/= naturalism. Atheists can quite happily hold the view of substance dualism, platonism etc and not be committed to theism.

What you are proposing is simply a non sequitur.

Personally I am a naturalist, but refuting it wouldn't make me any more likely to be a theist. Theism needs to stand on its own two legs.

I've been on facebook too long. I was trying to like this post.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 12:50:11 AM

So, a couple raises a child in the woods. They are 100% off the grid, much like many so called reality shows out there, except for the sake of this thought experiment, they have no camera crews, and are dedicated.

After a good few years of settling in is when the child is born. By now, for purposes of this example, the child is walking, talking, and asking ever so many questions as children are want to do. No mention of God, prayers, religious texts or the like are done during this child's upbringing. That means no Christmas, but there might be a Thanksgiving or birthday in there.

What religion is the child, and why?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...