Jump to topic:

Do you wish you thought differently?

JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:54:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
As a believer in a faith, or as a non believer, do you ever wish you either lost your faith, or gained one?

I ask the question because some people seem to be so unhappy, particularly theists.

As I have said before it was a relief when I lost my faith. Whilst I have met some good and decent believers in my life, as well as some very unpleasant ones, I have never felt the need to rekindle the faith I lost as a teenager.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 6:25:48 AM
At 2/26/2015 5:54:28 AM, JJ50 wrote:
As a believer in a faith, or as a non believer, do you ever wish you either lost your faith, or gained one?

I ask the question because some people seem to be so unhappy, particularly theists.

As I have said before it was a relief when I lost my faith. Whilst I have met some good and decent believers in my life, as well as some very unpleasant ones, I have never felt the need to rekindle the faith I lost as a teenager.

I think it's the opposite it. Religion promises so much it gives you so much. Nothing like the assurance that God will smite those unbelievers who dared argued with you..........I mean argued with Gods holy truths. Holy truths you just happened to believe in too !!! what a coincide eh ?

The believer most of the time see themselves in Gods graces, the obedient, the chosen, the elect, the saved, etc etc

And lets not forget the promise of that great after life. YOu get to be with your loved ones.........plus watch the eternal torment of those that rejected God........unlike your good self who didn't of course. How good of you. Why couldn't they have been as good as you ? yeah cause they evil that's why, they hate the truth, unlike your good self of course, who is nothing but a lover of truth.

Of course your life has meaning, a great meaning, a meaning so great you don't even know it, a meaning that has being preordained from "God" himself. You have purpose, a divine purpose, part of divine plan..............and its SUPER SUPER AWESOME !!!

Now compare that to non belief in all that and what does it get you ?

Well you are born into a cruel and unjust world. A world where things are eating other things. A universe which is indifferent to you, a universe which could get by just as easily without your existence. You are not important, you are not unique, your one or half a gene away from a chimpanzee. You are just another mammal who just so happens to be the dominant species in on planet in one particular galaxy among many.

A planet that will be eventually consumed by it's sun, and that sun consumed by a black hole.

A world where you will suffer, suffer then suffer some more................and if lucky die and relative quick and painless death and for those who are not so lucky...............

But hey, at least we will always have Paris......
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 6:28:33 AM
At 2/26/2015 6:25:48 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I think it's the opposite it. Religion promises so much it gives you so much. Nothing like the assurance that God will smite those unbelievers who dared argued with you..........I mean argued with Gods holy truths. Holy truths you just happened to believe in too !!! what a coincide eh ?

The believer most of the time see themselves in Gods graces, the obedient, the chosen, the elect, the saved, etc etc

And lets not forget the promise of that great after life. YOu get to be with your loved ones.........plus watch the eternal torment of those that rejected God........unlike your good self who didn't of course. How good of you. Why couldn't they have been as good as you ? yeah cause they evil that's why, they hate the truth, unlike your good self of course, who is nothing but a lover of truth.

Of course your life has meaning, a great meaning, a meaning so great you don't even know it, a meaning that has being preordained from "God" himself. You have purpose, a divine purpose, part of divine plan..............and its SUPER SUPER AWESOME !!!

Well you are born into a cruel and unjust world. A world where things are eating other things. A universe which is indifferent to you, a universe which could get by just as easily without your existence. You are not important, you are not unique, your one or half a gene away from a chimpanzee. You are just another mammal who just so happens to be the dominant species in on planet in one particular galaxy among many.

A planet that will be eventually consumed by it's sun, and that sun consumed by a black hole.

A world where you will suffer, suffer then suffer some more................and if lucky die and relative quick and painless death and for those who are not so lucky...............

Your post has just reminded me, if I needed any reminding, why I am relieved I lost my faith, lol!
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 6:33:46 AM
At 2/26/2015 6:28:33 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Your post has just reminded me, if I needed any reminding, why I am relieved I lost my faith, lol!

Why are you relieved ? Some people have a different reaction. Depression, anger, sadness etc
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 6:40:25 AM
At 2/26/2015 6:33:46 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Why are you relieved ? Some people have a different reaction. Depression, anger, sadness etc

I am relieved because religion gave me nothing positive at all, in fact just the opposite. The Biblical deity is very nasty indeed if the portrayal of it had any basis in fact, the much maligned Satan couldn't be nastier! The idea of being in some afterlife with that deity would definitely be my idea of hell. I hope I cease to be when I die.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 6:55:09 AM
At 2/26/2015 6:40:25 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 2/26/2015 6:33:46 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I am relieved because religion gave me nothing positive at all, in fact just the opposite. The Biblical deity is very nasty indeed if the portrayal of it had any basis in fact, the much maligned Satan couldn't be nastier! The idea of being in some afterlife with that deity would definitely be my idea of hell. I hope I cease to be when I die.

Well then I guess you never got into the the religious mindset I alluded to before.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:14:53 AM

We saints and prophets never lose faith. Many of God's believers don't actually believe everything that us saints preach to them. They believe in other things that they observe in this world that deceives them from their true created invisible existence in the mind of God.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:18:05 AM
At 2/26/2015 8:14:53 AM, bornofgod wrote:

We saints and prophets never lose faith. Many of God's believers don't actually believe everything that us saints preach to them. They believe in other things that they observe in this world that deceives them from their true created invisible existence in the mind of God.

Thus spake the part-time 'saint', lol!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:20:11 AM
At 2/26/2015 8:18:05 AM, JJ50 wrote:

A saint is a saint for eternity. There's no such thing as a part-time saint unless you're one of those Catholic saints who never knew they were saints. The Vatican had to approve their sainthood long after they were dead.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:24:47 AM
At 2/26/2015 8:20:11 AM, bornofgod wrote:

A saint is a saint for eternity. There's no such thing as a part-time saint unless you're one of those Catholic saints who never knew they were saints. The Vatican had to approve their sainthood long after they were dead.

You are only a 'saint' in your very deluded mind. Your posts don't give any indication of 'sainthood', just the opposite! Now if you said you were demonically possessed, I might buy it, if I believed in demons, lol!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:27:01 AM
At 2/26/2015 8:24:47 AM, JJ50 wrote:

You are only a 'saint' in your very deluded mind. Your posts don't give any indication of 'sainthood', just the opposite! Now if you said you were demonically possessed, I might buy it, if I believed in demons, lol!

No Christian has ever known what a saint is and since you're not a Christian anymore, I doubt you know what one is either.

Only Christians believe in satan and his demons which causes them great fear. They have no idea what the tree of the knowledge of good and evil means.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:31:35 AM

I wish you would get help for your delusions, you are in serious need of psychiatric attention!
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:50:08 AM
At 2/26/2015 8:31:35 AM, JJ50 wrote:

I wish you would get help for your delusions, you are in serious need of psychiatric attention!

I've made the same recommendation on a number of occasions. It does no good.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:55:18 AM

And so lucky to have the ability to understand all of this and still give your life the meaning and purpose you choose. That one in billions improbability brought to life in spite of the cold, indifferent universe. We are made of that same stuff as that universe, of those bright, distant lights, of that great glowing ball in our sky. In the most literal sense, we are one with everything.

In billions of years. Nothing we need even contemplate in our blip of an existence.

Yet among that suffering, if you but seek it out, there is beauty, pleasure, love if you're lucky.

Personally, I preferred London. Had a ball there.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 9:27:17 AM

I'm sure my daughter-in-law and her parents wouldn't agree with you. They love me dearly and trust me for everything I say and do. If my daughter-in-law didn't trust me, she certainly wouldn't allow me to stay with them and enjoy my grandchildren.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 10:50:40 AM
At 2/26/2015 9:27:17 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I'm sure my daughter-in-law and her parents wouldn't agree with you. They love me dearly and trust me for everything I say and do. If my daughter-in-law didn't trust me, she certainly wouldn't allow me to stay with them and enjoy my grandchildren.

Well unless they are mentally unstable like you, maybe you control yourself when you are in their company. I think the social services should take an interest because you could put children in danger!!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 11:00:40 AM
At 2/26/2015 10:50:40 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 2/26/2015 9:27:17 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Well unless they are mentally unstable like you, maybe you control yourself when you are in their company. I think the social services should take an interest because you could put children in danger!!

I've been around plenty of mentally ill people who can't possibly control themselves. My son would not allow me to be around his family if he knew I was mentally ill.

You're reaching for something that doesn't exist to keep yourself from listening to the voice of the Lord through my written and spoken testimonies. Antichrists use any reason to remain blind to their true created existence in the thoughts of our Creator.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 11:03:32 AM
Your posts are crazy, so unless you are a WUM, you are mentally unstable and such people shouldn't be around kids, imo.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 12:02:00 PM

That's an interesting question JJ.

As a child -- perhaps from ages seven to sixteen -- I felt bad that I didn't actually believe the religious stories various adults were so eager to teach me.

It was apparent to me, even at seven, that the people telling these stories believed them emotionally, but weren't believing them intellectually. Faces look different depending on whether we are thinking or feeling, and even at seven I could tell a story told for its feeling (like Santa Claus), and one told for insight -- like a nature show.

So I felt bad that I couldn't react as they did to stories that made them feel good. It felt vaguely disrespectful. I didn't want to believe the stories because I already didn't consider them true; I just wished I could feign the expected reactions so they wouldn't feel bad.

But nowadays I suppose I see things a bit deeper. I have come to believe that it's selfish, infantile and irresponsible for adults to run their lives from feelings and the comfortable mythology that supports them. So now my problem isn't how to feign a polite credulity to pleasant-sounding fictions; it's how to help people get past their dependence on safe and comfortable emotions, to deal with a more robust standard of truth.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 1:04:57 PM

No I do not.

If I thought differently I would not have the advantages I have today, or the faith which brings them.

I serve the "happy God" so have no reason whatever to be unhappy.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 8:23:09 AM
At 3/2/2015 1:04:57 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

No I do not.

If I thought differently I would not have the advantages I have today, or the faith which brings them.

And what advantages do you have? Your posts don't give the impression you are particularly happy!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 8:35:10 AM
At 3/3/2015 8:23:09 AM, JJ50 wrote:

No I do not.

And what advantages do you have? Your posts don't give the impression you are particularly happy!

I have a definite hope for the future.

I have the guidance of God's spirit.

I have the complete knowledge of God's purpose.

I have God's protection in any way that fits in with his plans.

I am happy. Not ecstatic, but with all the suffering I see around me, no-one should be. The suffering of any fellow human anywhere, especially the innocent, should trouble all of us deeply, but at least I have the knowledge that God is acting, and that his plan to remove all such suffering will soon be brought in to action.

Not soon enough for some I know, but if it came in any sooner than it will some innocent people may not have had chance to share n the knowledge I have been granted.

Also, as Jesus said his followers would be I am, especially on here, a "lamb amongst wolves". As all of his servants are, thought the "wolves" usually only spot us when we "break cover" to do the work set before us.

Yes I am happy, in a calm contented way. I would though, obviously, be far happier were there not all the suffering there is in the world, and I am sure I will be when it is done away with.

However, it can only get worse before it gets better. But when it gets better it will be infinitely better, and permanent.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 8:50:35 AM

No I do not.

Your kennel wouldn't be any bigger.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 8:56:44 AM
At 3/3/2015 8:35:10 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

No I do not.

I am happy. Not ecstatic, but with all the suffering I see around me, no-one should be. The suffering of any fellow human anywhere, especially the innocent, should trouble all of us deeply, but at least I have the knowledge that God is acting, and that his plan to remove all such suffering will soon be brought in to action.

Not soon enough for some I know, but if it came in any sooner than it will some innocent people may not have had chance to share n the knowledge I have been granted.

Also, as Jesus said his followers would be I am, especially on here, a "lamb amongst wolves". As all of his servants are, thought the "wolves" usually only spot us when we "break cover" to do the work set before us.

Yes I am happy, in a calm contented way. I would though, obviously, be far happier were there not all the suffering there is in the world, and I am sure I will be when it is done away with.

However, it can only get worse before it gets better. But when it gets better it will be infinitely better, and permanent.

You already wrecked several lives with your multiple divorces and by abandoning you family and children. Phil are about to destroy the hopes and dreams of some 3rd world Asians by enticing them with promises of a better future. Little do they know you are a homeless retiree on disability assistance living alone with animals. You are just a step away from a nursing home and if your clinical depression doesn't lead to suicide, approaching senility will make your dementia less pronounced.
We hear you. If only there wasn't so much suffering in the world and if only the JW were right for the first time, all this suffering would go away.
Hardly likely!!! God isn't about to destroy the world because of a few miserable people like you. Just add that to your depressing thought for the day.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 9:42:47 AM

No I do not.

You hope!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 10:17:01 AM
At 3/3/2015 9:42:47 AM, JJ50 wrote:

No I do not.

You hope!

Yes, and that hope is guaranteed.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 10:37:01 AM
At 3/3/2015 10:17:01 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

No I do not.

You hope!

You are reading too many JW literature. The only one who guaranteed anything was Jesus. And even he said he didn't know when. You are going to have to find some other way to delude yourself you condition will change.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 10:56:18 AM
At 3/3/2015 10:17:01 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

No I do not.

You hope!

Rubbish, you lie if you state that as a fact, when you have no evidence to back it up!