Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Rational arguments for an unspecified God?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 3:37:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm looking for arguments that are logically valid/sound for any God.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
PolyCarp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 4:22:46 PM
At 2/26/2015 3:37:53 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Impossible. Logical arguments without an episemological basis have zero value. If you're not arguing for a specific thing you cannot determine if it is sound or valid. For example

1. marmalade is a city in Spain
2. Spain is a mushroom
3. therefore mushrooms have cities

If there's no definition of any of the terms used in this argument, it is a sound and valid one because it follows logical rules and it doesn't equivocate on any of it's terms.

Really we have to define what God we are discussing before we argue for it.
"Perhaps the atheist cannot find God for the same reason the thief cannot find a policeman"

--G.K Chesterton
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 4:33:36 PM
What's the definition of "unspecified God?" You still have to define what a god is before any argument can be made. Otherwise your request is indistinguishable from asking for rational arguments for X.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 4:43:04 PM
At 2/26/2015 4:33:36 PM, Burzmali wrote:
What's the definition of "unspecified God?" You still have to define what a god is before any argument can be made. Otherwise your request is indistinguishable from asking for rational arguments for X.

I am trying to avoid arguments that argue exclusively for the Abrahamic god. I realize some Christians/Muslims may believe you cannot argue for god without arguing for their god, and that is fine. If they have valid arguments that do argue for traits specific to Yahweh/Allah I would still be interested. I am just looking for good arguments for god.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 4:55:09 PM
At 2/26/2015 4:22:46 PM, PolyCarp wrote:

Impossible. Logical arguments without an episemological basis have zero value. If you're not arguing for a specific thing you cannot determine if it is sound or valid. For example

1. marmalade is a city in Spain
2. Spain is a mushroom
3. therefore mushrooms have cities

You misunderstand the request. I am looking for valid/sound arguments that do not specifically argue for traits specific to the Abrahamic god (ie, a personal god). However, I am not seeking to exclude any god, so any arguments that can argue for Yahweh, Allah, and/or a deistic god, etc., would be acceptable.

For example, the argument from contingency does not argue for a god exclusive to Christianity or Islam, but Pascal's wager pretty much can only apply to an Abrahamic god.

If there's no definition of any of the terms used in this argument, it is a sound and valid one because it follows logical rules and it doesn't equivocate on any of it's terms.

Really we have to define what God we are discussing before we argue for it.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 4:56:33 PM
At 2/26/2015 4:43:04 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/26/2015 4:33:36 PM, Burzmali wrote:

I am trying to avoid arguments that argue exclusively for the Abrahamic god. I realize some Christians/Muslims may believe you cannot argue for god without arguing for their god, and that is fine. If they have valid arguments that don't argue for traits specific to Yahweh/Allah I would still be interested. I am just looking for good arguments for god.

Correction

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:46:52 PM

That's many arguments

Goedel's thoerem of God. Defines God as a being maximally great. (also mathematically shown to be logical and valid)

Kalam Argument defines God as being un-caused outside space and time.

I would say most arguments put forth for God equally justify any monotheistic God, Deist to Muslim.

That life is Intelligently designed can support mono or polytheism. In that the agency can also be a collective.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:57:08 PM
At 2/26/2015 5:46:52 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

That's many arguments

Goedel's thoerem of God. Defines God as a being maximally great. (also mathematically shown to be logical and valid)

Kalam Argument defines God as being un-caused outside space and time.

I would say most arguments put forth for God equally justify any monotheistic God, Deist to Muslim.

That life is Intelligently designed can support mono or polytheism. In that the agency can also be a collective.

Thank you for your input.