Total Posts:83|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Book of Daniel

Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 11:28:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

1. I don't believe the Book of Daniel has a single purpose, but if I had to choose just one, it would be that book teaches us to be obedient and faithful even when it may prove to be threatening.

2. I do believe it is prophetic, but I am unable to support that belief empirically. I have not done the research required to estimate when the book was written, but according to some scholars, it was written around 350 B.C., while Daniel was living in Babylon.

3. The same as any other Old Testament book to some degree or another, save perhaps for the Songs of Solomon, which doesn't appear to have any real purpose.

While the Book of Daniel culturally differs from the New Testament in many ways, it nonetheless compliments the teachings found throughout the New Testament. Elaboration would require personal interpretation, which would require more words than I would like to write at this time.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 11:38:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

The book of Daniel was written by the prophet Daniel according to the words that our Creator put in his mind to write down. These prophecies weren't meant to be understood by God's people at all. God needs to teach us saints about His beast before He guides us to the prophecies in Daniel. If you don't understand what His beast is about, it's impossible to understand these prophecies.

Do you know what God's beast is?
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 12:50:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Cowards start OP's but don't have the balls to come in and challenge anyone who knows the answers to their questions.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 12:55:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 11:28:14 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

1. I don't believe the Book of Daniel has a single purpose, but if I had to choose just one, it would be that book teaches us to be obedient and faithful even when it may prove to be threatening.

This wasn't the kind of answer I was expecting at all... I had a historical motive in mind when I constructed the question but I can see why it would be answered theologically...

2. I do believe it is prophetic, but I am unable to support that belief empirically. I have not done the research required to estimate when the book was written, but according to some scholars, it was written around 350 B.C., while Daniel was living in Babylon.

Daniel is purported to live in Babylon ~600-500 BC, as attested by the Book of Daniel itself and Ezekeil. Do you accept the traditional attribution of authorship to Daniel?

3. The same as any other Old Testament book to some degree or another, save perhaps for the Songs of Solomon, which doesn't appear to have any real purpose.

While the Book of Daniel culturally differs from the New Testament in many ways, it nonetheless compliments the teachings found throughout the New Testament. Elaboration would require personal interpretation, which would require more words than I would like to write at this time.

Again, not the kind of answer I was expecting,Mobutu fair enough.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 1:24:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 12:50:14 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Cowards start OP's but don't have the balls to come in and challenge anyone who knows the answers to their questions.

The above is the least mature way to get a response on a thread I have yet to see. It even trumps straight up calling the OP a slang term.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 1:34:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 12:55:53 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 2/28/2015 11:28:14 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

1. I don't believe the Book of Daniel has a single purpose, but if I had to choose just one, it would be that book teaches us to be obedient and faithful even when it may prove to be threatening.

This wasn't the kind of answer I was expecting at all... I had a historical motive in mind when I constructed the question but I can see why it would be answered theologically...

You did not specify "historical", so I took the other usual route.

From a secular view, the Book of Daniel shows tenacity in captivity, which could be applied to a number of purposes.

2. I do believe it is prophetic, but I am unable to support that belief empirically. I have not done the research required to estimate when the book was written, but according to some scholars, it was written around 350 B.C., while Daniel was living in Babylon.

Daniel is purported to live in Babylon ~600-500 BC, as attested by the Book of Daniel itself and Ezekeil. Do you accept the traditional attribution of authorship to Daniel?

Bit of dyslexia there. That should read 530 B.C.

I was not present when the book was written, so I cannot be sure.

3. The same as any other Old Testament book to some degree or another, save perhaps for the Songs of Solomon, which doesn't appear to have any real purpose.

While the Book of Daniel culturally differs from the New Testament in many ways, it nonetheless compliments the teachings found throughout the New Testament. Elaboration would require personal interpretation, which would require more words than I would like to write at this time.

Again, not the kind of answer I was expecting,Mobutu fair enough.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:09:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

*Opens Bible, Flicks to Isiah*
"&"?! 66 Chapters... This is going to take a few days...
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:11:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:09:07 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

*Opens Bible, Flicks to Isiah*
"&"?! 66 Chapters... This is going to take a few days...

Should I not mention reading commentaries associated with it? ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:13:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:11:05 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:09:07 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

*Opens Bible, Flicks to Isiah*
"&"?! 66 Chapters... This is going to take a few days...

Should I not mention reading commentaries associated with it? ;-)

Nah. I am pretty sure I read this book in a bible study at my Sunday school years ago. Finished first 2 chapters now. I prefer to read the book first before the scholarship/etc. on it.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:13:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:11:05 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:09:07 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

*Opens Bible, Flicks to Isiah*
"&"?! 66 Chapters... This is going to take a few days...

Should I not mention reading commentaries associated with it? ;-)

Nah. I am pretty sure I read this book in a bible study at my Sunday school years ago. Finished first 2 chapters now. I prefer to read the book first before the scholarship/etc. on it.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:22:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 1:24:08 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 2/28/2015 12:50:14 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Cowards start OP's but don't have the balls to come in and challenge anyone who knows the answers to their questions.

The above is the least mature way to get a response on a thread I have yet to see. It even trumps straight up calling the OP a slang term.

I call him a coward because he is a coward. That is a very mature way of calling a coward a coward. What would you say to a coward who is afraid to stand up to the Truth after asking questions pertaining to the knowledge that came from the Truth?

Even God calls these people cowards, fools and stupid. Is He immature?

Psalm 92
5: How great are thy works, O LORD! Thy thoughts are very deep!
6: The dull man cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this:

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?

Revelation 21
1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
8: But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death."

Jeremiah 10
14: Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols; for his images are false, and there is no breath in them.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:45:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:22:24 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/28/2015 1:24:08 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 2/28/2015 12:50:14 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?
3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Cowards start OP's but don't have the balls to come in and challenge anyone who knows the answers to their questions.

The above is the least mature way to get a response on a thread I have yet to see. It even trumps straight up calling the OP a slang term.

I call him a coward because he is a coward. That is a very mature way of calling a coward a coward. What would you say to a coward who is afraid to stand up to the Truth after asking questions pertaining to the knowledge that came from the Truth?

Even God calls these people cowards, fools and stupid. Is He immature?

Psalm 92
5: How great are thy works, O LORD! Thy thoughts are very deep!
6: The dull man cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this:

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?

Revelation 21
1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
8: But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death."

Jeremiah 10
14: Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols; for his images are false, and there is no breath in them.

What do you know about the book of Daniel? For someone who constantly brings up the lake of fire and end times, this should be a good and familiar topic for you. How did invisible vibrations entered the thoughts of Daniel?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 6:13:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.

I have never heard this before, do you have a source?

My personal opinion is that the first few chapters (2-7) existed in some form before they got implemented in it's current form. It's hard to put it chronologically however since the stories in the first few chapters seem to be quote ignorant of major facts regarding the 6th century, but most certainly predate the events of Antiochis Epithanes (while the latter portions chapters 9-12 were almost certainly written contemporary to Antiochis because of the exquisite level of detail and precisiom in the desolation narrative, the author clearly knows the facts of this time period very well.

The wiki says the first portion was derived from folktales, but I didn't see an argument or source for that. It actually being published as a predating (non canon) text that is not lost has a certain appeal to it since that's what we see with a lot of NT literature.

The only thing I do know about this is that the Book of Daniel did not make the canon of the prophets, but I thought that it was because the text simply did not appear until after that canon closed.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2015 7:26:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 6:13:45 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.

I have never heard this before, do you have a source?

My source is a study book not found on the internet, but here is a wiki source that mentions the exclusions: http://en.wikipedia.org...

My personal opinion is that the first few chapters (2-7) existed in some form before they got implemented in it's current form. It's hard to put it chronologically however since the stories in the first few chapters seem to be quote ignorant of major facts regarding the 6th century, but most certainly predate the events of Antiochis Epithanes (while the latter portions chapters 9-12 were almost certainly written contemporary to Antiochis because of the exquisite level of detail and precisiom in the desolation narrative, the author clearly knows the facts of this time period very well.

The wiki says the first portion was derived from folktales, but I didn't see an argument or source for that. It actually being published as a predating (non canon) text that is not lost has a certain appeal to it since that's what we see with a lot of NT literature.

The only thing I do know about this is that the Book of Daniel did not make the canon of the prophets, but I thought that it was because the text simply did not appear until after that canon closed.

It has been a number of years since I studied Daniel, and I am presently combing through Numbers as a study of the "atrocities of God", as they are called. I fear I would not be able to offer a thoroughly intellectual discussion of Daniel at this time. But I'm curious about the wiki claim of the first section being derived from folk tales. I'll have to look into that.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
PGA
Posts: 4,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 1:08:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?

The early part of the book tells of the life of Daniel under King Neb, of the exile and the kings visions (1-6) that concern Daniel's people, while the later part of Daniel tells of his own dreams and visions (Ch. 7-12) concerning his people.

One of its many themes was to foretell the coming of the Messiah to this apostate people in fulfillment of the curses of the covenant they made with God in Deuteronomy 28-32 (Daniel 9:25-26). For the faithful it would bring blessings when the Messiah came.

This future judgment would result in the destruction of their temple and city as well as their sacrificial system or covenant with God; "Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy place."

2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I believe it was written during the span of the reign of King Neb to the reign of Darius by Daniel. It predicts the four world empires in relation to Israel and God's setting up of His eternal kingdom during the fourth empire or kingdom (Rome). It speaks of the end of the Old Covenant age and the resurrection that would result after the shattering of the power of this people in ending the covenant.

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

It radiates throughout the NT with references to it by Jesus (Matthew, Mark and Luke) as well as references in Thessalonians and Revelation where it has major prophetic themes concerning the soon coming judgment of apostate Israel. In fact, this warning of judgment is present in every NT book.

The warnings concern God's judgment on Jerusalem in AD 70. No other event can fit the bill.

Peter
PGA
Posts: 4,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 1:12:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.

Jesus, during His earthly ministry, gave it its authenticity, treating it as the Word of God.

Peter
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 1:50:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 1:12:25 AM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.

Jesus, during His earthly ministry, gave it its authenticity, treating it as the Word of God.

Peter

All us saints are taught about the beast of Daniel and Revelation and learn that it's God's plan to teach His people how to build things with their human hands until we have the modern technology today. God is using the modern technology to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Daniel had no idea what He was writing about because God didn't reveal His plan to him.
PGA
Posts: 4,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 2:25:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 1:50:20 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:12:25 AM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.

Jesus, during His earthly ministry, gave it its authenticity, treating it as the Word of God.

Peter

All us saints are taught about the beast of Daniel and Revelation and learn that it's God's plan to teach His people how to build things with their human hands until we have the modern technology today. God is using the modern technology to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Daniel had no idea what He was writing about because God didn't reveal His plan to him.

Sorry Bog, your writings are non-sense. You need to seek help.

Peter
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:55:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 2:25:02 AM, PGA wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:50:20 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:12:25 AM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.

Jesus, during His earthly ministry, gave it its authenticity, treating it as the Word of God.

Peter

All us saints are taught about the beast of Daniel and Revelation and learn that it's God's plan to teach His people how to build things with their human hands until we have the modern technology today. God is using the modern technology to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Daniel had no idea what He was writing about because God didn't reveal His plan to him.

Sorry Bog, your writings are non-sense. You need to seek help.

Peter

All antichrists like you reject the knowledge of God that was written and spoken by God's saints. All us saints understood the beast but in the new testament, there's nothing written or spoken about it because the antichrists didn't want it in their new testament. They added their religious ideas such as water baptism, Eucharist, church hierarchy, gifts of the spirit, triune god and hell belief, bodily resurrections, etc. for their Christians to practice and believe in. This distracted their Christians ( mostly antichrists ) from understanding any of the prophecies that the saints understood very well.
PGA
Posts: 4,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 1:17:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 10:55:53 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/4/2015 2:25:02 AM, PGA wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:50:20 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:12:25 AM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:46:15 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

That the book is written in Aramaic and Hebrew is definitely interesting. Why would one man choose to right a narrative in two languages?

Another interesting thing is the fact that sections of the Book of Daniel were excluded from the main canon, but can be found in the apocrypha.

Jesus, during His earthly ministry, gave it its authenticity, treating it as the Word of God.

Peter

All us saints are taught about the beast of Daniel and Revelation and learn that it's God's plan to teach His people how to build things with their human hands until we have the modern technology today. God is using the modern technology to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Daniel had no idea what He was writing about because God didn't reveal His plan to him.

Sorry Bog, your writings are non-sense. You need to seek help.

Peter

All antichrists like you reject the knowledge of God that was written and spoken by God's saints. All us saints understood the beast but in the new testament, there's nothing written or spoken about it because the antichrists didn't want it in their new testament. They added their religious ideas such as water baptism, Eucharist, church hierarchy, gifts of the spirit, triune god and hell belief, bodily resurrections, etc. for their Christians to practice and believe in. This distracted their Christians ( mostly antichrists ) from understanding any of the prophecies that the saints understood very well.

Your appeal to your own authority is pitiful and others understand this. Unfortunately you do not because you need help in escaping from your delusion. Please find help. It is obvious to everyone but yourself.

Peter
PGA
Posts: 4,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 1:28:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

You accepted what was told instead of working it out according to His Word. I have done an in depth analysis over many years on the Preterist viewpoint by comparing it to the Word. I do not believe you have, thus in part your skepticism.

I liked the way this gentleman put it. If you are open to considering it you may just find that it is extremely hard to argue against. Here it is for your consideration. Feel free to rip it apart if you can:

http://www.worldwithoutend.info...

Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Peter
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 2:44:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 1:28:00 PM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

You accepted what was told instead of working it out according to His Word. I have done an in depth analysis over many years on the Preterist viewpoint by comparing it to the Word. I do not believe you have, thus in part your skepticism.

I liked the way this gentleman put it. If you are open to considering it you may just find that it is extremely hard to argue against. Here it is for your consideration. Feel free to rip it apart if you can:

http://www.worldwithoutend.info...


Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Peter

Those who believe they can interpret the prophecies in Daniel without possessing the knowledge of God like us saints do will be totally deceived by their interpretations.

Not ONE CHRISTIAN has ever understand any of the prophecies that were written by God's prophets according to His plan.

Only us saints are taught exactly how we're created and why the beast was used by our Creator.

Christians refuse to believe that the feet of iron and clay is about the Roman Catholic Church ( IRON PART ) and the Protestant Churches ( CLAY PART ) that were used by God's plan called the beast to go out and teach the rest of the world how to build false gods, which is very important word by God to use as analogies to teach us saints about the end of this age and how we were created. Without the modern technology today, most people would still believe what they observe is real.

Without understanding what symbolism of the beast described in Daniel is about and what the feet of iron and clay means, no Christian can understand what the beast is or why it was used by God. God is the Creator of everything visible and invisible for His purpose in this age to teach us who we are and that we do have a Creator. He also teaches us through us saints and prophets everything He wanted us to know before He destroys this world soon.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 3:09:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 1:28:00 PM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

You accepted what was told instead of working it out according to His Word. I have done an in depth analysis over many years on the Preterist viewpoint by comparing it to the Word. I do not believe you have, thus in part your skepticism.

If anything, I would expect you to agree with my thoughts: Christians should research their beliefs, and not accept them un-examined. Also, I did eventually examine my beliefs as should be obvious since I am no longer a believer.

I liked the way this gentleman put it. If you are open to considering it you may just find that it is extremely hard to argue against. Here it is for your consideration. Feel free to rip it apart if you can:

He is covering all the same Preterists talking points, and my responses would still be the same as before. I do like him better than Kenneth Gentry though.

http://www.worldwithoutend.info...

Plus, this thread is related to Daniel, not Preterism.


Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Peter
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 3:19:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 2:44:38 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:28:00 PM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

You accepted what was told instead of working it out according to His Word. I have done an in depth analysis over many years on the Preterist viewpoint by comparing it to the Word. I do not believe you have, thus in part your skepticism.

I liked the way this gentleman put it. If you are open to considering it you may just find that it is extremely hard to argue against. Here it is for your consideration. Feel free to rip it apart if you can:

http://www.worldwithoutend.info...


Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Peter

Those who believe they can interpret the prophecies in Daniel without possessing the knowledge of God like us saints do will be totally deceived by their interpretations.

Not ONE CHRISTIAN has ever understand any of the prophecies that were written by God's prophets according to His plan.

Only us saints are taught exactly how we're created and why the beast was used by our Creator.

Christians refuse to believe that the feet of iron and clay is about the Roman Catholic Church ( IRON PART ) and the Protestant Churches ( CLAY PART ) that were used by God's plan called the beast to go out and teach the rest of the world how to build false gods, which is very important word by God to use as analogies to teach us saints about the end of this age and how we were created. Without the modern technology today, most people would still believe what they observe is real.

Without understanding what symbolism of the beast described in Daniel is about and what the feet of iron and clay means, no Christian can understand what the beast is or why it was used by God. God is the Creator of everything visible and invisible for His purpose in this age to teach us who we are and that we do have a Creator. He also teaches us through us saints and prophets everything He wanted us to know before He destroys this world soon.

You are really stupid. Daniel 2 was where Daniel interprets a dream of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, regarding a statue made of four metals and clay, representing kingdoms. Daniels interpretation was made before the king and he did not mention The Roman Catholic Church or the Protestant churches . He could not have because they did not even exist then.
So you don't even know the first part of Daniel that was revealed by Daniel himself to the king of Babylon.
But I am beginning to believe Christians didn't know that either or they would have corrected you.
Keep your distortions coming.
PGA
Posts: 4,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 3:26:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 3:09:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:28:00 PM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

You accepted what was told instead of working it out according to His Word. I have done an in depth analysis over many years on the Preterist viewpoint by comparing it to the Word. I do not believe you have, thus in part your skepticism.

If anything, I would expect you to agree with my thoughts: Christians should research their beliefs, and not accept them un-examined. Also, I did eventually examine my beliefs as should be obvious since I am no longer a believer.

I liked the way this gentleman put it. If you are open to considering it you may just find that it is extremely hard to argue against. Here it is for your consideration. Feel free to rip it apart if you can:

He is covering all the same Preterists talking points, and my responses would still be the same as before. I do like him better than Kenneth Gentry though.

http://www.worldwithoutend.info...

Plus, this thread is related to Daniel, not Preterism.

And I related to the book according to a Preterist position. It makes sense of Daniel.

Peter
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 3:28:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 3:19:47 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/4/2015 2:44:38 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:28:00 PM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

You accepted what was told instead of working it out according to His Word. I have done an in depth analysis over many years on the Preterist viewpoint by comparing it to the Word. I do not believe you have, thus in part your skepticism.

I liked the way this gentleman put it. If you are open to considering it you may just find that it is extremely hard to argue against. Here it is for your consideration. Feel free to rip it apart if you can:

http://www.worldwithoutend.info...


Thus, to open the conversation, I have a few questions:

1. What do you think was the purpose of the Book of Daniel?
2. Do you believe it is prophetic? If so, when do you believe it was written?

I hope you don't mind me adding to your queries!

2-1/2. How many people do you think wrote Daniel, and why?
2-3/4. Why do you think Daniel was written in multiple languages?

3. How does the Book influence your NT theology?

Peter

Those who believe they can interpret the prophecies in Daniel without possessing the knowledge of God like us saints do will be totally deceived by their interpretations.

Not ONE CHRISTIAN has ever understand any of the prophecies that were written by God's prophets according to His plan.

Only us saints are taught exactly how we're created and why the beast was used by our Creator.

Christians refuse to believe that the feet of iron and clay is about the Roman Catholic Church ( IRON PART ) and the Protestant Churches ( CLAY PART ) that were used by God's plan called the beast to go out and teach the rest of the world how to build false gods, which is very important word by God to use as analogies to teach us saints about the end of this age and how we were created. Without the modern technology today, most people would still believe what they observe is real.

Without understanding what symbolism of the beast described in Daniel is about and what the feet of iron and clay means, no Christian can understand what the beast is or why it was used by God. God is the Creator of everything visible and invisible for His purpose in this age to teach us who we are and that we do have a Creator. He also teaches us through us saints and prophets everything He wanted us to know before He destroys this world soon.

You are really stupid. Daniel 2 was where Daniel interprets a dream of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, regarding a statue made of four metals and clay, representing kingdoms. Daniels interpretation was made before the king and he did not mention The Roman Catholic Church or the Protestant churches . He could not have because they did not even exist then.
So you don't even know the first part of Daniel that was revealed by Daniel himself to the king of Babylon.
But I am beginning to believe Christians didn't know that either or they would have corrected you.
Keep your distortions coming.

Prophecies are about the FUTURE, not something that was going on at the time they were written. Daniel had no idea what he was writing about because the beast wasn't to be understood until God's saints came into the picture to testify to the knowledge of God ( the Law ), which is necessary to understand any of the prophecies.

Only God's stupid people take the prophecies literally. Kingdom doesn't mean a political government. It is just a symbolic name that God uses for us saints to understand such as the Kingdom of Heaven, Kingdom of God, Kingdom of Jesus Christ, Kingdom of Christ, Kingdom of the Spirit, etc.

What do you think is the Kingdom of God?
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 3:30:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/4/2015 3:26:58 PM, PGA wrote:
At 3/4/2015 3:09:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 3/4/2015 1:28:00 PM, PGA wrote:
At 2/28/2015 5:03:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/28/2015 2:52:06 AM, Envisage wrote:
The Book of Daniel needs some love on this forum, I rarely see it discussed, despite it underpinning several major preconceptions (especially apocalyptic and prophetic) Christians hold when interpreting the New Testament. Moreover I regard the Book of Daniel as one of the easiest Books of the Bible to read, since the allegoricals are virtually hand-guided to their conclusion. Thus I would expect the most consensus among Christians to exist in this particular Book.

I agree this book should be discussed more (as well as Isaiah). When I was a Christian I did not understand the significance of this book. I accepted what I was told, or what I understood, a Christian should believe without in depth examination.

You accepted what was told instead of working it out according to His Word. I have done an in depth analysis over many years on the Preterist viewpoint by comparing it to the Word. I do not believe you have, thus in part your skepticism.

If anything, I would expect you to agree with my thoughts: Christians should research their beliefs, and not accept them un-examined. Also, I did eventually examine my beliefs as should be obvious since I am no longer a believer.

I liked the way this gentleman put it. If you are open to considering it you may just find that it is extremely hard to argue against. Here it is for your consideration. Feel free to rip it apart if you can:

He is covering all the same Preterists talking points, and my responses would still be the same as before. I do like him better than Kenneth Gentry though.

http://www.worldwithoutend.info...

Plus, this thread is related to Daniel, not Preterism.

And I related to the book according to a Preterist position. It makes sense of Daniel.

Peter

No matter what Christian view you take, one needs to be taught directly by our Creator's point of view of all the prophecies. Only us saints were taught what God's "BEAST" is.