Jump to topic:

Questions of "Religions Freedom"

ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 7:03:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
How can you use "religious freedom," against homosexuals but still play football? How can you nit pick which bible verses to follow and which to not? The bible clearly states to not touch the skin of a pig. Or to even eat pork. How can you eat ham on Thanksgiving and Christmas (Holidays where you're supposed to be honoring your 'God/ Lord') but you do things he clearly says not to. How can you get divorced, just as the bible says not to. But you deny people who have been together for years their right to even get married? The bible even says not to have round haircuts. Do you follow that rule? No. Why? Because its silly? No, because it doesn't fit into your lifestyle.
Christians, what are you thinking? Many of your opinions and idiotic reasons are backfiring. Just answer some of these questions for me. Don't know where I'm getting these things from? Just politely ask and I will comment them back. Feel free to argue, comment, agree, or even try to disagree (If you choose to disagree, at least put your reasoning. Otherwise you look extremely ignorant. Thanks.)

Oh and tank you for your time. Have a lovely day
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 7:16:11 AM
At 3/1/2015 7:03:10 AM, ModernHippie wrote:
How can you use "religious freedom," against homosexuals but still play football? How can you nit pick which bible verses to follow and which to not? The bible clearly states to not touch the skin of a pig. Or to even eat pork. How can you eat ham on Thanksgiving and Christmas (Holidays where you're supposed to be honoring your 'God/ Lord') but you do things he clearly says not to. How can you get divorced, just as the bible says not to. But you deny people who have been together for years their right to even get married? The bible even says not to have round haircuts. Do you follow that rule? No. Why? Because its silly? No, because it doesn't fit into your lifestyle.
Christians, what are you thinking? Many of your opinions and idiotic reasons are backfiring. Just answer some of these questions for me. Don't know where I'm getting these things from? Just politely ask and I will comment them back. Feel free to argue, comment, agree, or even try to disagree (If you choose to disagree, at least put your reasoning. Otherwise you look extremely ignorant. Thanks.)

Christ's sacrifice freed us from "The letter of the Law" and put us under principle instead, in fulfilment of Jeremiah 31:33
YLT(i) 33 For this is the covenant that I make, With the house of Israel, after those days, An affirmation of Jehovah, I have given My law in their inward part, And on their heart I do write it, And I have been to them for God, And they are to me for a people.

Having the Law written n our hearts frees us up greatly, but also puts greater responsibility on us to understand what was behind the Laws in the code, and why they were enacted in the first place.

It also means that we can no longer point to a written Law and say that's it, you do that and nothing else.

For istance yu mention eating pork products, and yet at 1 Corinthians 10:25-26 Paul says:
YLT(i) 25 Whatever in the meat-market is sold eat ye, not inquiring, because of the conscience, 26 for the Lord's is the earth, and its fulness;

Why?

Note especially "not inquiring, because of the conscience". Paul is saying that we must not worry about our own consciences.

However he goes on to say:

10:27-29
YLT(i) 27 and if any one of the unbelieving do call you, and ye wish to go, all that is set before you eat, nothing inquiring, because of the conscience; 28 and if any one may say to you, `This is a thing sacrificed to an idol,' "do not eat, because of that one who shewed it, and of the conscience, for the Lord's is the earth and its fulness: 29 and conscience, I say, not of thyself, but of the other, for why is it that my liberty is judged by another's conscience?

So we should only refuse to eat these things now if it threatens to harm the other persons conscience, our own may remain clear.

If someone puts these things in front of us and comments, depending on how we assess the situation it is either an opportunity to show that we are prepared to refuse them or an opportunity to expand their knowledge of the situation under principle rather than law.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 7:34:35 AM

From my experience most people are hypocrites to some degree...they pick and choose according to their desires or interests
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 7:40:53 AM
At 3/1/2015 7:16:11 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

so you are free from anything.... you can rape murder torture steal and if only you believe in Jesus you have tickets into heaven that is what you are saying? tell me why a herit sacrificing his life no marrying, praying day and night in a church helping the poor would get the same heaven of a normal christian who dont do that much?
Never fart near dog
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 7:49:58 AM

Christ's sacrifice freed us from "The letter of the Law" and put us under principle instead, in fulfilment of Jeremiah 31:33
YLT(i) 33 For this is the covenant that I make, With the house of Israel, after those days, An affirmation of Jehovah, I have given My law in their inward part, And on their heart I do write it, And I have been to them for God, And they are to me for a people.

Having the Law written n our hearts frees us up greatly, but also puts greater responsibility on us to understand what was behind the Laws in the code, and why they were enacted in the first place.

It also means that we can no longer point to a written Law and say that's it, you do that and nothing else.

For istance yu mention eating pork products, and yet at 1 Corinthians 10:25-26 Paul says:
YLT(i) 25 Whatever in the meat-market is sold eat ye, not inquiring, because of the conscience, 26 for the Lord's is the earth, and its fulness;

Why?

Note especially "not inquiring, because of the conscience". Paul is saying that we must not worry about our own consciences.

YLT(i) 27 and if any one of the unbelieving do call you, and ye wish to go, all that is set before you eat, nothing inquiring, because of the conscience; 28 and if any one may say to you, `This is a thing sacrificed to an idol,' "do not eat, because of that one who shewed it, and of the conscience, for the Lord's is the earth and its fulness: 29 and conscience, I say, not of thyself, but of the other, for why is it that my liberty is judged by another's conscience?

So we should only refuse to eat these things now if it threatens to harm the other persons conscience, our own may remain clear.

If someone puts these things in front of us and comments, depending on how we assess the situation it is either an opportunity to show that we are prepared to refuse them or an opportunity to expand their knowledge of the situation under principle rather than law.

So basically you can eat the meat and say it was in order to talk about your God? You can choose to ignore his earlier statement if you get a bible study out of it? Or am I seeing this completely wrong? I really want to understand your side of things. I really want to see why the bible makes sense to you. Because as far as I've seen, its a complete contradiction within itself.
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 7:58:05 AM
At 3/1/2015 7:40:53 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

so you are free from anything.... you can rape murder torture steal and if only you believe in Jesus you have tickets into heaven that is what you are saying? tell me why a herit sacrificing his life no marrying, praying day and night in a church helping the poor would get the same heaven of a normal christian who dont do that much?

Exactly. You have it exactly right. You can molest, rape, kill, curse, anything. But if it was in the name of your Lord, or if you repent your sins, you are still guaranteed a spot in the afterlife. A perfect example can be found anywhere in the old testament. Just like him saying that it is okay to stone a woman for cheating. Oh and then you can live your life believing that you have done the work of the Lord and it was justified in his name. Some of the most iconic serial killers were actually Christians. Don't you want to go to Heaven and chill with Jeffrey Dahmer and Dracula?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:13:53 AM
At 3/1/2015 8:05:47 AM, JJ50 wrote:
The Bible can be used to excuse the most heinous of behaviour!

Unfortunately it has been so used too often in the past.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:16:21 AM

No, there is no way you can fit any such thing into the principles in the Law.

It is not that easy to get saved, ad only few go to heaven anyway, even of those saved.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:17:22 AM
At 3/1/2015 7:34:35 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

From my experience most people are hypocrites to some degree...they pick and choose according to their desires or interests

I don't, I change my desires and interests to fit the truth. It's the only way.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:19:10 AM
At 3/1/2015 7:49:58 AM, ModernHippie wrote:

Why?

So basically you can eat the meat and say it was in order to talk about your God? You can choose to ignore his earlier statement if you get a bible study out of it? Or am I seeing this completely wrong? I really want to understand your side of things. I really want to see why the bible makes sense to you. Because as far as I've seen, its a complete contradiction within itself.

How on earth can you get that from what I said?

However there is no harm in taking any opportunity that presents itself in the course of time spent with someone to spread God's word.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:19:46 AM
At 3/1/2015 7:58:05 AM, ModernHippie wrote:

Exactly. You have it exactly right. You can molest, rape, kill, curse, anything. But if it was in the name of your Lord, or if you repent your sins, you are still guaranteed a spot in the afterlife. A perfect example can be found anywhere in the old testament. Just like him saying that it is okay to stone a woman for cheating. Oh and then you can live your life believing that you have done the work of the Lord and it was justified in his name. Some of the most iconic serial killers were actually Christians. Don't you want to go to Heaven and chill with Jeffrey Dahmer and Dracula?

Nope. Absolutely wrong.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 9:22:59 AM
At 3/1/2015 9:17:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

When did this realization come to you? Was it after the 4th or 5th divorce?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:35:29 AM

How do Christians use "religious freedom" against homosexuals?
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 11:19:36 AM
At 3/1/2015 9:19:10 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/1/2015 7:49:58 AM, ModernHippie wrote:

Why?

How on earth can you get that from what I said?

However there is no harm in taking any opportunity that presents itself in the course of time spent with someone to spread God's word.

Somehow I did out of the very last paragraph.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 11:27:02 AM
At 3/1/2015 9:16:21 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

No, there is no way you can fit any such thing into the principles in the Law.

It is not that easy to get saved, ad only few go to heaven anyway, even of those saved.

and......... u didnt answer the question why the same rewards for 2 persons 1 is sacrificing his life for that and the latter is just a normal christian.
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 11:29:37 AM
At 3/1/2015 9:17:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

yes you do, your truth is your imagination, saying "only way" and not really looking into other views just makes you pathetic. we all can be wrong
Never fart near dog
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 11:33:35 AM
At 3/1/2015 9:19:46 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Nope. Absolutely wrong.

Then what exactly is the truth? I see many people abusing others daily in the name of their Lord. Christians pick on anyone who they think doesn't fit a traditional lifestyle. (Or anyone who doesn't follow them for that matter) You see this constantly with homosexuals and transgendered people. "Christians," abuse these individuals because of their "lifestyle choices." You cannot say that is false, because its not. Its pretty evident. Christians everywhere are really just bullies. Sorry, but that is true. But I can't blame you for your 'Lord and Savior' is also a huge bully. He killed millions. If you look on any page in the old testament, you will see murder. He murders people for anything he sees fit. And he's the leader. So how can you tell me that I have this all wrong?
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 11:40:18 AM
At 3/1/2015 10:35:29 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

By recent bills passed in Arkansas and possibly other places. They are calling it "religious freedom," and using it to enable them to prosecute, harass, exclude, and anything that they see fit. This bill in Arkansas is literally a bill that is anti-anti-discrimination. Other places like Tennessee and West Virginia are actually considering something along these lines as well. They are actually trying to argue that the right to pick on someone who isn't heterosexual is a right of their religion.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 11:53:53 AM
At 3/1/2015 11:40:18 AM, ModernHippie wrote:

By recent bills passed in Arkansas and possibly other places. They are calling it "religious freedom," and using it to enable them to prosecute, harass, exclude, and anything that they see fit. This bill in Arkansas is literally a bill that is anti-anti-discrimination. Other places like Tennessee and West Virginia are actually considering something along these lines as well. They are actually trying to argue that the right to pick on someone who isn't heterosexual is a right of their religion.
What exactly would happen if this bill passes?

What do you mean by pick on? For instance, could someone from Arkansas or Tennessee just come up to a gay person and verbally abuse them?
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 12:06:44 PM
At 3/1/2015 11:53:53 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

What do you mean by pick on? For instance, could someone from Arkansas or Tennessee just come up to a gay person and verbally abuse them?

Apparently the law is now dead in Arkansas but other places have decided to enforce laws like this one. These laws "would allow businesses and individuals to avoid legal penalties for refusing to serve customers who offended their religious beliefs. "
They are "primarily intended to allow businesses to discriminate against same-sex couples." So basically they are going to be dehumanized by anyone who feels that it offends their religion. Or anyone who is a 'homophobe.'
[Quotes from http://www.advocate.com... ]
This website tells more about the bill and actually references it by the exact name I've been referring to:
http://fox59.com...
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 12:36:46 PM
At 3/1/2015 12:06:44 PM, ModernHippie wrote:

Apparently the law is now dead in Arkansas but other places have decided to enforce laws like this one. These laws "would allow businesses and individuals to avoid legal penalties for refusing to serve customers who offended their religious beliefs. "
They are "primarily intended to allow businesses to discriminate against same-sex couples." So basically they are going to be dehumanized by anyone who feels that it offends their religion. Or anyone who is a 'homophobe.'
This website tells more about the bill and actually references it by the exact name I've been referring to:
First off, you have to consider the question, is religious freedom in any peril? That's what these bills, whichever State, are about. Do you think there's any valid reason for concern about religious freedom? Or, is all one-sided, the only victim being same-sex couples?
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 12:43:40 PM
At 3/1/2015 12:36:46 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/1/2015 12:06:44 PM, ModernHippie wrote:

First off, you have to consider the question, is religious freedom in any peril? That's what these bills, whichever State, are about. Do you think there's any valid reason for concern about religious freedom? Or, is all one-sided, the only victim being same-sex couples?

I apologize but I'm really not sure what you're asking. I feel extremely unintelligent but yeah..Could you rephrase that? My mind is a little all over the place today.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:11:38 PM
At 3/1/2015 12:43:40 PM, ModernHippie wrote:

I apologize but I'm really not sure what you're asking. I feel extremely unintelligent but yeah..Could you rephrase that? My mind is a little all over the place today.
No problem at all.

The issue of religious freedom in these States revolve around various instances where Christians as well as some from other religions somehow were struck with legal penalties that come into question. There are 3 incidences where a business run by Christians faced a penalty for refusing to service a same-sex marriage or union. One was a baker in Colorado, one a florist, and one a photographer in Washington State I believe. The intriguing part about these instances is that these business owners made it clear that their refusal to service the gay couples were based on the wedding only. In other words, they wouldn't refuse to service them just because they were gay, or even a gay couple. The baker made that very clear when he stated that he would provide service for them for anything except make a cake for a same-sex marriage. And this was based on his Christian conviction.

So what should be understood here is that the baker, florist, and photographer were not on the offensive. They were strictly on the defensive. And those close to the actual case, even if not proponents of religious freedom perse, obviously detected that these business owners in general exhibit no animosity towards gay people. In fact, the bakery owner stopped selling wedding cakes altogether just to avoid the problem.

Of course many on the outside automatically consider these business owners as being homophobic bigots.

What is happening now in these States concerning these bills, is speculating what might happen if these bills pass that would be intended to protect people like the owners of the aforementioned businesses. And of course it's being compared to the Civil Rights racial issue, anti-semitism, etc. But what is being overlooked by many, is the rights of those who hold a genuine religious conviction that are obviously not out to discriminate against gay people.
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:23:42 PM
At 3/1/2015 1:11:38 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:

No problem at all.

The issue of religious freedom in these States revolve around various instances where Christians as well as some from other religions somehow were struck with legal penalties that come into question. There are 3 incidences where a business run by Christians faced a penalty for refusing to service a same-sex marriage or union. One was a baker in Colorado, one a florist, and one a photographer in Washington State I believe. The intriguing part about these instances is that these business owners made it clear that their refusal to service the gay couples were based on the wedding only. In other words, they wouldn't refuse to service them just because they were gay, or even a gay couple. The baker made that very clear when he stated that he would provide service for them for anything except make a cake for a same-sex marriage. And this was based on his Christian conviction.

So what should be understood here is that the baker, florist, and photographer were not on the offensive. They were strictly on the defensive. And those close to the actual case, even if not proponents of religious freedom perse, obviously detected that these business owners in general exhibit no animosity towards gay people. In fact, the bakery owner stopped selling wedding cakes altogether just to avoid the problem.

Of course many on the outside automatically consider these business owners as being homophobic bigots.

What is happening now in these States concerning these bills, is speculating what might happen if these bills pass that would be intended to protect people like the owners of the aforementioned businesses. And of course it's being compared to the Civil Rights racial issue, anti-semitism, etc. But what is being overlooked by many, is the rights of those who hold a genuine religious conviction that are obviously not out to discriminate against gay people.

I think I see where you're coming from. However, if these bills do pass then many people will use their religion as a way of dehumanizing homosexuals. You shouldn't be forced to bake someone a wedding cake or make them a bouquet. But you also shouldn't be denied regular public service like school or food just because someone thinks you're a homosexual. And you shouldn't be able to dehumanize anyone. By passing these bills we're allowing American citizens to strip others of pursuing their 'American Dream.' This bill will allow anyone to prosecute anyone in the name of religion. This would be like me opening a fashion line and denying customers because they're Christian and I'm not. It makes no sense.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:36:45 PM
At 3/1/2015 1:23:42 PM, ModernHippie wrote:

No problem at all.

I think I see where you're coming from. However, if these bills do pass then many people will use their religion as a way of dehumanizing homosexuals. You shouldn't be forced to bake someone a wedding cake or make them a bouquet. But you also shouldn't be denied regular public service like school or food just because someone thinks you're a homosexual. And you shouldn't be able to dehumanize anyone. By passing these bills we're allowing American citizens to strip others of pursuing their 'American Dream.' This bill will allow anyone to prosecute anyone in the name of religion. This would be like me opening a fashion line and denying customers because they're Christian and I'm not. It makes no sense.
If these bills pass, there is certainly a possibility of genuine homophobic bigots abusing the law to discriminate against homosexuals. So these laws would most likely need to be refined redefined.

But the problem thus far, as you stated:

"You shouldn't be forced to bake someone a wedding cake or make them a bouquet"

And what is happening is that there are those that are being forced to bake someone a wedding cake or make them a bouquet. These being those who only refused to service a same sex marriage function. They didn't/don't deny service to someone just because they are gay.

So that's really why I was asking you about your position on whether or not religious freedom is in any jeopardy.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:44:50 PM
At 3/1/2015 11:33:35 AM, ModernHippie wrote:

Nope. Absolutely wrong.

Then what exactly is the truth? I see many people abusing others daily in the name of their Lord. Christians pick on anyone who they think doesn't fit a traditional lifestyle. (Or anyone who doesn't follow them for that matter) You see this constantly with homosexuals and transgendered people. "Christians," abuse these individuals because of their "lifestyle choices." You cannot say that is false, because its not. Its pretty evident. Christians everywhere are really just bullies. Sorry, but that is true. But I can't blame you for your 'Lord and Savior' is also a huge bully. He killed millions. If you look on any page in the old testament, you will see murder. He murders people for anything he sees fit. And he's the leader. So how can you tell me that I have this all wrong?

He killed no-one that he didn't have to in order to protect his faithful, both physically and spiritually.

He even killed thousands of Israel because they were leading others astray. Faithfulness mattered then, as it does now.

Every death he has ever brought about, inside or outside has been for that one reason alone.

That is also why he is likely to have to destroy billions at Armageddon.

True Christians are not bullies, though I agree many of the false variety are.

Nor is God because he warns before hand what he is gong to do and gives us chance to avoid being on the wrong side of it if we choose to.
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:48:28 PM
At 3/1/2015 1:36:45 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/1/2015 1:23:42 PM, ModernHippie wrote:

No problem at all.

If these bills pass, there is certainly a possibility of genuine homophobic bigots abusing the law to discriminate against homosexuals. So these laws would most likely need to be refined redefined.

But the problem thus far, as you stated:

"You shouldn't be forced to bake someone a wedding cake or make them a bouquet"

And what is happening is that there are those that are being forced to bake someone a wedding cake or make them a bouquet. These being those who only refused to service a same sex marriage function. They didn't/don't deny service to someone just because they are gay.

So that's really why I was asking you about your position on whether or not religious freedom is in any jeopardy.

I think both sides are in jeopardy. This being because you have idiots on both sides. You have religious people who are going to use it to their advantage. Who are going to use these bills to dehumanize people who aren't fit to their customs/ religion. (Of course, even without the bills, we still have these people.) You also have homosexuals who are going to call everyone who turns them down a bigot. In the long run, yes there may be some cases of religious freedom being in jeopardy. Does that sort of answer your question?
ModernHippie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 1:57:35 PM
At 3/1/2015 1:44:50 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/1/2015 11:33:35 AM, ModernHippie wrote:

Nope. Absolutely wrong.

He killed no-one that he didn't have to in order to protect his faithful, both physically and spiritually.

He even killed thousands of Israel because they were leading others astray. Faithfulness mattered then, as it does now.

Every death he has ever brought about, inside or outside has been for that one reason alone.

Nor is God because he warns before hand what he is gong to do and gives us chance to avoid being on the wrong side of it if we choose to.

No. You don't "have," to kill anyone. He didn't "have," to flood the Earth just because they weren't following him. Do you realize how psychopathic this sounds? He creates a world, knowing that there are going to be sinners. Knowing that there are going to be people who are going to disown him. He is the all knowing God yet he still creates us, just to destroy us. If he is real, he sounds like a horrible person.
So, no. He did not have to kill anyone. He should not have to kill people in order to protect himself. We are his creations, why in the world would he destroy us for being something he already knew we would become? That in no way sounds justified to me. You're right, maybe he isn't a bully. He's far worse in my opinion.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 3:15:58 PM
At 3/1/2015 1:44:50 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Your insane beliefs are only matched by their impotence, laughable in their twisted and warped delivery. The insane logic of killing millions/billions to save a tiny minority of the insane is side-splitting, rip-roaring hilarity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth