Jump to topic:

Can an Atheist be spiritual?

drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:28:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I care not for religion but I am a believer that as a human we have three main areas that we can progress. The physical, the mental, and the spiritual. Physical and mental progress is an area that fits well in the atheist view, but what about spiritual progression? Can an atheist be spiritual, or are they simply impoverished in that realm of human experience?
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:30:04 PM
Please define spiritual?
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:34:48 PM
At 3/1/2015 10:30:04 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Please define spiritual?

I would rather have each Atheist define it. It is not about my definition as I may simply have a definition that they do not understand or agree with.
MEK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:40:07 PM
At 3/1/2015 10:28:04 PM, drpiek wrote:
I care not for religion but I am a believer that as a human we have three main areas that we can progress. The physical, the mental, and the spiritual. Physical and mental progress is an area that fits well in the atheist view, but what about spiritual progression? Can an atheist be spiritual, or are they simply impoverished in that realm of human experience?

Absolutely. I believe "spiritual" in the non-religious sense is anything that can allow us to have some kind of transformative experience. Whether it's while meditating, listening to music or looking at art there are mediums available to us as sentient, conscious beings that can provide wonderful platforms for us to have these types of experience without paying lip service to Bronze age myths. Sam Harris wrote a book about just your question called, "Waking Up".
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:54:42 PM
Can an atheist be spiritual, or are they simply impoverished in that realm of human experience?

Entirely subjective to how spiritual is defined. If it's defined by belief in Santa Clause for example, atheists tend to be greatly impoverished. If it's defined as "of or relating to the spirit," and spirit as "the inner quality or nature of a person" (Merriam Webster), there is absolutely no reason an atheist would be more lacking in this area than anyone else.

Moreover, a theist is likely to not attribute a person as good by nature. Which means if an atheist has a good nature they get the full credit for it, arguably setting an atheist ahead on spirituality to many theists.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 11:52:05 PM

I've met many of God's chosen believers who admitted being atheists. They love to hear the knowledge of God that I possess. But they don't love the false deities and hypocritical lifestyles of Christians who try condemn them to hell for not believing their lies.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 2:29:05 AM

Yes.

Evidence: My Mum, Nan, most Buddhists, etc.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:53:03 AM
At 3/1/2015 11:52:05 PM, bornofgod wrote:

I've met many of God's chosen believers who admitted being atheists. They love to hear the knowledge of God that I possess. But they don't love the false deities and hypocritical lifestyles of Christians who try condemn them to hell for not believing their lies.

LOL
Never fart near dog
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 2:39:12 PM
At 3/2/2015 2:53:24 AM, JJ50 wrote:
I don't really know what spiritual means?

You haven't got a clue what the "spirit" of God is.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 2:59:47 PM
At 3/2/2015 4:53:03 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

LOL

Last week, I met seven of God's chosen believers who listened to me preach the gospel to them. Four of them confessed to not believing in a Creator but after listening to me, I took their doubts away.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:07:37 PM
At 3/2/2015 2:59:47 PM, bornofgod wrote:

LOL

Last week, I met seven of God's chosen believers who listened to me preach the gospel to them. Four of them confessed to not believing in a Creator but after listening to me, I took their doubts away.

LOL
Never fart near dog
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:10:24 PM
At 3/2/2015 4:07:37 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

LOL

LOL

At least God gave you a good sense of humor.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:11:17 PM
At 3/2/2015 4:10:24 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/2/2015 4:07:37 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

LOL

LOL

At least God gave you a good sense of humor.

oh tankx :D
Never fart near dog
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:16:42 PM

LOL

You so desperately want to believe that some people actually listen to you that you can't even tell when they are pulling your leg, yanking your chain, and simply humoring you.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:49:07 PM

Using the dictionary definition of Spirit and Spiritual I say YES any atheist can be spiritual.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

* the force within a person that is believed to give the body life, energy, and power
* the inner quality or nature of a person
* a person

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

* of or relating to a person's spirit
* of or relating to religion or religious beliefs
* having similar values and ideas : related or joined in spirit

My reasoning....

Unbelievers in mythical gods still understand there is a force within people that is believed to give the body life, energy, and power. They might define and describe that force in many different ways other than "spirit" but I have never yet heard anyone deny that whatever it is that gives a person life, energy and individuality or "soul" etc , leaves the body when the person dies. It seems obvious to all that something departs from the body at death even if science cannot find what it is or replace it to make people "live forever"

I doubt anyone denies that all individuals has an inner quality or nature. That quality makes then who they are. It is what makes them unique as opposed to just being some clone which is a mixture of the same chemicals as the next body of chemicals.

The definition of spirit as person makes spirit tangible and physical not some ghost outside of a person.

In relation to a person's spirit or inner qualities, all humans relate to each other in positive or negative ways. That makes us all spiritual due to our ability to relate and respond to one anothers "vibes" or attitudes.

In relation to religion or religious beliefs, all of us can relate to those beliefs regardless of whether we believe and agree with various religious beliefs or not. You need to be able to relate to something in order to accept or reject it.

In regard to having similar values and ideas : related or joined in spirit. We are all joined with someone in the sense of having the same values and ideas even if those values and ideas are not held by the majority.
Birds of a feather flocking together, is not just true for birds. It is true for all people who tend to gather in groups which agree with one another . If people don't agree they generally divide or separate from each other rather than stay together.

Atheists have similar values and ideas as each other so in that sense they are spiritual in spite of their "spirits"or "nature" being one which does not believe in mythical invisible supernatural characters.
Atheists can adopt the same moral values as any believer in mythical characters.
They just do not blame any devils for their personal bad attributes or credit any gods for their personal good attributes. They take full responsibility for their own attitudes and actions.

In reference to taking responsibility for themselves I think atheists are far more mature than believers who like to blame invisible bad entities for all that is bad in the world and credit invisible good entities for all that is good in the world.

Personally I think all people are spiritual regardless of what they believe. We all have a force within us which gives us life, energy, and power. That life giving force leaves our bodies when we die.

May the force be with you.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 4:57:15 PM
At 3/2/2015 4:16:42 PM, Skyangel wrote:

LOL

You so desperately want to believe that some people actually listen to you that you can't even tell when they are pulling your leg, yanking your chain, and simply humoring you.

I've met over 2,000 of God's chosen believers who didn't need to argue because they were meant to listen to the gospel ( voice of the Lord ) that I preach to them.

You're an antichrist who rejects the knowledge of God that I share.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:13:34 PM
At 3/2/2015 4:57:15 PM, bornofgod wrote:

LOL

I've met over 2,000 of God's chosen believers who didn't need to argue because they were meant to listen to the gospel ( voice of the Lord ) that I preach to them.

It's a good thing you're here. I was worried we were running out of false prophets and charlatans.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:18:25 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:13:34 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

LOL

It's a good thing you're here. I was worried we were running out of false prophets and charlatans.

If I wasn't here in this forum, all you would hear are stories from false prophets and charlatans all trying to find the Truth.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:19:49 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:18:25 PM, bornofgod wrote:

LOL

If I wasn't here in this forum, all you would hear are stories from false prophets and charlatans all trying to find the Truth.

Yes, you are the only voice of truth here.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:27:31 PM
At 3/1/2015 10:40:07 PM, MEK wrote:

Absolutely. I believe "spiritual" in the non-religious sense is anything that can allow us to have some kind of transformative experience. Whether it's while meditating, listening to music or looking at art there are mediums available to us as sentient, conscious beings that can provide wonderful platforms for us to have these types of experience without paying lip service to Bronze age myths. Sam Harris wrote a book about just your question called, "Waking Up".

Can you differentiate this from 'mental', as per the OP?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:29:18 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:19:49 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

LOL

I'm the only one in here who gets attacked by both Christians and atheists who don't know our Creator.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:29:49 PM
Can an atheist be spiritual, or are they simply impoverished in that realm of human experience?

We can easily agree on a definition of physical and intellectual I think, Dr P. However, I'm not clear that religions agree even among themselves on what spiritual means. But here's a secular humanist view that might serve:

Spiritual development is our maturation as responsible social beings. It is the development of compassion, of interpersonal and transpersonal values, of ethical and moral responsibility to self and other, to our own species and the species that depend on us. It is the development of respect of past, and the wisdom to care for future generations. It is also the development of those qualities needed to develop integrity, such as: courage, self-examination, honesty, authenticity, resilience, forbearance and self-sacrifice, so that our deeds will reflect our best intentions and express our better selves.

Here I have excluded any notion of the supernatural, of magical belief, of asceticism, hedonism or ecstaticism, of tribalism or nationalism -- ideas which religions often include in their definitions of spirituality and over which they differ, sometimes violently.

But if we can agree on this as a pragmatic working definition, I see nothing there that requires religious belief, or to which a nonbeliever cannot subscribe as a being of dignity and good will.

I hope that may be useful.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:31:34 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:29:18 PM, bornofgod wrote:

LOL

I'm the only one in here who gets attacked by both Christians and atheists who don't know our Creator.

And you interpret that to mean that you represent the truth and you're being attacked because most others reject the truth?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:31:50 PM

LOL

That is correct Brad. I reject your foolishness and stupidity and nonsense. If you ever start making some sense I may take some notice of you. However I won't hold my breath in hope of seeing any sanity from you any time soon.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:32:55 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:29:49 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

We can easily agree on a definition of physical and intellectual I think, Dr P. However, I'm not clear that religions agree even among themselves on what spiritual means. But here's a secular humanist view that might serve:

Spiritual development is our maturation as responsible social beings. It is the development of compassion, of interpersonal and transpersonal values, of ethical and moral responsibility to self and other, to our own species and the species that depend on us. It is the development of respect of past, and the wisdom to care for future generations. It is also the development of those qualities needed to develop integrity, such as: courage, self-examination, honesty, authenticity, resilience, forbearance and self-sacrifice, so that our deeds will reflect our best intentions and express our better selves.

Here I have excluded any notion of the supernatural, of magical belief, of asceticism, hedonism or ecstaticism, of tribalism or nationalism -- ideas which religions often include in their definitions of spirituality and over which they differ, sometimes violently.

But if we can agree on this as a pragmatic working definition, I see nothing there that requires religious belief, or to which a nonbeliever cannot subscribe as a being of dignity and good will.

I hope that may be useful.

Do you consider this separate, or at least different or differentiable from 'mental'?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:34:19 PM

That's a load of garbage Brad. I also get attacked from both sides and some even say I am the same as you and just as deluded as you are.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:37:00 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:31:34 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

LOL

And you interpret that to mean that you represent the truth and you're being attacked because most others reject the truth?

Yes, but there are people who will listen to the knowledge I share in believe because they have been taught indirectly some knowledge from God that helps them understand what I'm talking about. When I speak to believers who understand some ideas about quantum mechanics, I start talking about that instead of any religious crap about Christianity. I don't need to say anything about religion when I'm speaking to these believers who understand things on a much deeper level than any religious person can.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:37:20 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:34:19 PM, Skyangel wrote:

That's a load of garbage Brad. I also get attacked from both sides and some even say I am the same as you and just as deluded as you are.

You two should debate on who is more sane and the rest of us can vote on it.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 5:41:16 PM
At 3/2/2015 5:37:00 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/2/2015 5:31:34 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

LOL

Yes, but there are people who will listen to the knowledge I share in believe because they have been taught indirectly some knowledge from God that helps them understand what I'm talking about. When I speak to believers who understand some ideas about quantum mechanics, I start talking about that instead of any religious crap about Christianity. I don't need to say anything about religion when I'm speaking to these believers who understand things on a much deeper level than any religious person can.

How do you know that the correct explanation is that you have the truth and it makes people upset with you, rather than that people are upset or annoyed with you because they think you're crazy and absurd?

You've tried talking to me about physics and information theory. You don't understand either of those topics, even at an introductory level. Are you saying that you've been able to convince other people who don't know anything about those things that you do understand them?