Jump to topic:

How would you define the word "religion"

GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 9:18:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think that the word "religion" gets thrown around kind of loosely. So, I'm making this thread for good, clean dispute over what "religion" actually is.
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 9:50:15 AM
"an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods" seems good to me. Yet I know some people hate their religion being accused of being a religion, which is really weird.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 9:54:45 AM
At 3/3/2015 9:50:15 AM, Ragnar wrote:
"an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods" seems good to me. Yet I know some people hate their religion being accused of being a religion, which is really weird.

Extremist Christians claim it isn't a religion, which is crazy!
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 10:28:08 AM
a superstitious based concept that enslaves the free thinking mind and creates the illusion of being a part of something special.

Religion is just one of the many forms of "possible" escape from personal responsibility.

A way to put the blame and responsibility elsewhere. Invisible Gods and fictitious characters that can't be proven for sure.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 2:22:25 PM
At 3/3/2015 9:18:00 AM, GamrDeb8rBbrH8r wrote:
I think that the word "religion" gets thrown around kind of loosely. So, I'm making this thread for good, clean dispute over what "religion" actually is.

"Way of life", "Lifestyle"
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 2:38:22 PM

All religions and the various languages of the world came about when man started building false gods ( things built with human hands ) who were inspired by God's beast. The language of mathematics to measure with was also a very important to religious people who kept building false gods despite not knowing where their thoughts came from to look up into the sky and connect stars with imaginary lines to get building shapes and shapes to use as characters for their written languages and mathematics.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 6:42:04 PM
At 3/3/2015 2:22:25 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Religion is a way of life to many.
However as EE said, it is also a superstitious based concept.

The way of life that most religious people live in is the way of superstition, fiction and fantasy. They live a life believing in mythical supernatural characters who they believe will take the blame for human stupidity and get rid of all the evil in the world at some unknown future time.
Religion is a way of living in denial of reality due to wanting to live in the world of their dreams of "happy ever after" rather than face reality as it is and always was and always will be.

Religious people seem to like the idea of someone else taking the blame for their stupidity so they don't need to face the consequences themselves.

However, like little children, they have no clue what they are saying or doing due to lacking self control and not wanting to take responsibility for themselves. Mature adults forgive their immaturity and childishness.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:12:18 PM

I personally define religion to mean organized religion. But I will say things like Christianity and other spiritual famous views are religions because they have been organized and that's the name we are used to. But to me, religion is nothing more but affiliated with man made rituals.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:35:44 PM

Depends on what side of the line you're standing on. Religion can be the dictionary definition, or it can be a reason/excuse/motivation/drive/etc, to:

Hate
Kill
Debase
Protest
Arrogantly demean
Unjustly judge
Sanctimoniously preach
Viciously point at others
Selfishly interpret
Mindlessly insist
Tenaciously deny

And other stuff that severely and sadly condemns the word.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:53:45 PM
I describe it as a nationalistic belief-system with attendant rites, symbols, customs and observances. By this, I mean:

* It is associated with an imagined community - e.g. Christendom, or the Ummah, as opposed to a more tangibly-defined community such as an ethnicity or a state;
* It defines individual identity within that sense of nation;
* It is inherently political -- meaning, influence is its chief commerce (as opposed to commerce in goods or information); and
* It has enduring doctrine or dogma (shared beliefs, rivalries, alliances, hatreds) whose acceptance is a criterion of nationhood.

So being an American isn't a religion, since it's based on citizenship. Being a masseur isn't a religion, since its commerce is in a physical service. Being a solipsist isn't a religion since it doesn't have a community. And being an atheist isn't a religion since it has neither nationhood nor doctrine.

But being a Taoist is a religion, so is being a Balinese animist, a Buddhist, a Christian or an observant Jew.

Note that not all these faiths have gods.

I think nationalism is key to the origin and prevalence of religion, and its sway over nations -- even among those who don't accept all the dogma. It also helps explain why so many religions claim supremacist beliefs, why nations can fight so bitterly over religious belief and doctrine at times -- and why states can sometimes divide so that each nation-state can express a distinct national identity (consider India and Pakistan, or the proposed two-state solution in Israel and Palestine.)

I also think it explains how intense sports or celebrity fandom, say, can sometimes be represented as religion.

I hope that may be of interest.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:54:12 PM
At 3/3/2015 6:42:04 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 3/3/2015 2:22:25 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Religion is a way of life to many.
However as EE said, it is also a superstitious based concept.

The way of life that most religious people live in is the way of superstition, fiction and fantasy. They live a life believing in mythical supernatural characters who they believe will take the blame for human stupidity and get rid of all the evil in the world at some unknown future time.
Religion is a way of living in denial of reality due to wanting to live in the world of their dreams of "happy ever after" rather than face reality as it is and always was and always will be.

Religious people seem to like the idea of someone else taking the blame for their stupidity so they don't need to face the consequences themselves.

However, like little children, they have no clue what they are saying or doing due to lacking self control and not wanting to take responsibility for themselves. Mature adults forgive their immaturity and childishness.

You don't even know why God planned to have religion and science in His program called Eternal Life.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 9:36:24 PM

I'd rather account for what religion is empirically.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 4:41:18 AM
At 3/3/2015 9:36:24 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

I'd rather account for what religion is empirically.

Empirically it is, or should be, a way of life.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 5:23:24 AM
If it is a way of life and a force for good in the world then that is fine. However, all too often it is very evil indeed like the JW cult.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 5:42:01 AM
At 3/4/2015 5:23:24 AM, JJ50 wrote:
If it is a way of life and a force for good in the world then that is fine. However, all too often it is very evil indeed like the JW cult.

Oh God ad his people are only ever a force for good, you are just letting yourself get too bitter to recognise it.

What is better than bringing perfect peace and security to the world, as God is going to do, and as the JWs teach?

Bitterness only damages those who allow it to crawl into their hearts, as someone else said on here abut you, you are merely creating your own "hell" by letting it rule your mind.

Whereas I am at peace with life because I know the hope that lies ahead, thanks be to God and Christ.

Even such as you cannot disrupt my peace, try as you may.