Jump to topic:

TIL - Pope John XXIII Saved the World

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 11:44:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Was reading about the Cuban missile crisis and learned of his causal role in the (relatively) peaceful resolution to the escalating tensions over the soviet installation of missiles at Cuba.

Citing the wiki arcticle:

"On October 24, Pope John XXIII sent a message to the Soviet embassy in Rome to be transmitted to the Kremlin, in which he voiced his concern for peace. In this message he stated "We beg all governments not to remain deaf to this cry of humanity. That they do all that is in their power to save peace." With the permission of Kennedy and Khrushchev, this appeal went public on October 25 on radio, asking leaders to do "all in their power to preserve peace" and to "save the world from the horrors of a war". The intervention of Pope John was significant, as on the same day confrontation started to settle down. Pope John's message also appeared in Pravda, the official Soviet newspaper, on October 26 under the headline, "We beg all rulers not to be deaf to the cry of humanity". While Pope John XXIII's role in the crisis is often overlooked, he acted as a third party in the dispute in such a way that it allowed Kennedy and Khrushchev a way to back out without either party acknowledging defeat. His public appeal essentially created a bridge between Washington and Moscow"

The Cuban missile crisis is probably the closest we came to an executed war with the Societs, with consequences that can only be left to the imagination.

Any similar stories regarding these types of interventions?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 2:09:38 PM
At 3/3/2015 11:44:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
Was reading about the Cuban missile crisis and learned of his causal role in the (relatively) peaceful resolution to the escalating tensions over the soviet installation of missiles at Cuba.

"On October 24, Pope John XXIII sent a message to the Soviet embassy in Rome to be transmitted to the Kremlin, in which he voiced his concern for peace. In this message he stated "We beg all governments not to remain deaf to this cry of humanity. That they do all that is in their power to save peace." With the permission of Kennedy and Khrushchev, this appeal went public on October 25 on radio, asking leaders to do "all in their power to preserve peace" and to "save the world from the horrors of a war". The intervention of Pope John was significant, as on the same day confrontation started to settle down. Pope John's message also appeared in Pravda, the official Soviet newspaper, on October 26 under the headline, "We beg all rulers not to be deaf to the cry of humanity". While Pope John XXIII's role in the crisis is often overlooked, he acted as a third party in the dispute in such a way that it allowed Kennedy and Khrushchev a way to back out without either party acknowledging defeat. His public appeal essentially created a bridge between Washington and Moscow"

The Cuban missile crisis is probably the closest we came to an executed war with the Societs, with consequences that can only be left to the imagination.

God gave President Ronald Reagan the thoughts to make his famous speech to tear down the Berlin wall.

God is the planner, creator and the one who formed all His illusions to give us a make-believe world to live in. If it wasn't for Him, we wouldn't exist.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 2:27:30 PM
At 3/3/2015 2:09:38 PM, bornofgod wrote:

God gave President Ronald Reagan the thoughts to make his famous speech to tear down the Berlin wall.

God is the planner, creator and the one who formed all His illusions to give us a make-believe world to live in. If it wasn't for Him, we wouldn't exist.

And because of God believers exist in His make believe world formed from his illusions. That is what He has done for His believers. We grant you that.
But for the atheists God has given them a world free of illusions and any make believe content. God has also given atheists homes and families and sound mental faculties.
Name two homeless believers who suffer from mental issues , who believe there is a real and better world that is yet to come and who preach about it obsessively/compulsively.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 2:29:20 PM
At 3/3/2015 2:27:30 PM, Harikrish wrote:

And because of God believers exist in His make believe world formed from his illusions. That is what He has done for His believers. We grant you that.
But for the atheists God has given them a world free of illusions and any make believe content. God has also given atheists homes and families and sound mental faculties.
Name two homeless believers who suffer from mental issues , who believe there is a real and better world that is yet to come and who preach about it obsessively/compulsively.

Are you going to keep up these false accusations about me for the rest of the time I'm in this forum? Only fools like you remain fools for their entire life in this world.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 3:00:34 PM
At 3/3/2015 2:29:20 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Are you going to keep up these false accusations about me for the rest of the time I'm in this forum? Only fools like you remain fools for their entire life in this world.
Where is the false accusation? Is it your homeless state, recovering alcoholic, living as a character in a computer program created from invisible vibrations call illusions, obsessively/compulsively preaching new world order, questioned about your mental stability on every forum you visited. Please point to an accusation I have not been clear about.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 3:07:27 PM
At 3/3/2015 3:00:34 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Where is the false accusation? Is it your homeless state, recovering alcoholic, living as a character in a computer program created from invisible vibrations call illusions, obsessively/compulsively preaching new world order, questioned about your mental stability on every forum you visited. Please point to an accusation I have not been clear about.

I am not a recovering alcoholic or mentally insane as you have accused me of being many times. You are a pathetic liar who has no idea who I am because you're not interested in me or the knowledge I share in this forum. You're only interested in your false accusations about me and the knowledge I share.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 3:09:42 PM
At 3/3/2015 3:07:27 PM, bornofgod wrote:

I am not a recovering alcoholic

No, you just drank a lot every day, day in and day out, for years. However, much of that was while you were over in Spain, poking the little senorita until she got fed up with supporting you.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 3:26:54 PM
At 3/3/2015 3:09:42 PM, annanicole wrote:

No, you just drank a lot every day, day in and day out, for years. However, much of that was while you were over in Spain, poking the little senorita until she got fed up with supporting you.

Just when I thought this thread could not be possibly contaminated with BoG's rhetoric.... The religion forum never fails to amaze me.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 3:31:10 PM
At 3/3/2015 3:26:54 PM, Envisage wrote:

Just when I thought this thread could not be possibly contaminated with BoG's rhetoric.... The religion forum never fails to amaze me.

Nothing should amaze you when you look at the Religion Forum and see that the last person who responded on every thread is .... BoG. No matter what the subject, he could copy and paste the same post to every one of them.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 4:35:40 PM

Liars have to accuse me with lies to make themselves feel good. I haven't had a drink of alcohol since December 13th, 1979, six days after God revealed Himself to me.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 4:36:21 PM

Do you see how these misfits derail the threads I share in?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 4:38:34 PM
At 3/3/2015 3:31:10 PM, annanicole wrote:

Nothing should amaze you when you look at the Religion Forum and see that the last person who responded on every thread is .... BoG. No matter what the subject, he could copy and paste the same post to every one of them.

Check out my first post in this thread, Anna. I gave an answer to the question. It's you and the other misfits in this forum who derailed this thread with your derogatory statements towards me.

Am I supposed to ignore your accusations and not respond?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 4:49:17 PM
At 3/3/2015 4:35:40 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Liars have to accuse me with lies to make themselves feel good. I haven't had a drink of alcohol since December 13th, 1979, six days after God revealed Himself to me.

God "revealed" Himself to you - while you were still a drunk. That explains a lot.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 4:54:25 PM
At 3/3/2015 4:49:17 PM, annanicole wrote:

God "revealed" Himself to you - while you were still a drunk. That explains a lot.

And six days later I was sober for the rest of eternity.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 4:54:40 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 4:58:15 PM
At 3/3/2015 4:54:25 PM, bornofgod wrote:

... and yet were unable to distinguish your drunken hallucinations from six days earlier from reality.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 5:31:03 PM
At 3/3/2015 4:58:15 PM, annanicole wrote:

... and yet were unable to distinguish your drunken hallucinations from six days earlier from reality.

Once I was sober, every time that our Creator came into my mind to speak new commands for me to obey, I instantly knew it was Him. Now that I've been writing and speaking for Him for the past 6 years and 9 months, I know Him very well. More than any person living on this planet.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 5:43:21 PM
At 3/3/2015 5:31:03 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 3/3/2015 4:58:15 PM, annanicole wrote:

Once I was sober, every time that our Creator came into my mind to speak new commands for me to obey, I instantly knew it was Him. Now that I've been writing and speaking for Him for the past 6 years and 9 months, I know Him very well. More than any person living on this planet.

How many miracles have you performed in these 6 yrs and 9 months?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 6:15:34 PM

It took you 29 years to fully sober up after your initial admission you were an alcoholic in 1979 which brings you to 2008. You only started preaching in 2008 and looking at the way you are struggling, your brain damage is permanent.