Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sacrifice

Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:55:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm watching a neat little documentary right now called Ghosts of Machu Picchu (very highly recommended) and I get to the part about how they found a few bodies of children sacrificed by the Incas to their gods. I'm not at all defending this--in fact seeing the expressive face of the mummified child was heartbreaking--but an over-my-shoulder comment was made that it was horrible they did that. It came from a Christian, yet I remember sacrifice of animals and one almost-sacrifice of a child in the Bible. The guy who was going to kill his child is glorified, and I've heard Christians say they would and wouldn't (usually would) do the same thing if God asked them to.

So my question is, if you think other religions performing sacrifices is horrible, but are okay with Christian sacrifice, how do you justify sacrifice for one religion and not the other? The question of course doesn't apply if you don't hold both opinions.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Valtarov
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:05:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 9:55:18 AM, Yvette wrote:
I'm watching a neat little documentary right now called Ghosts of Machu Picchu (very highly recommended) and I get to the part about how they found a few bodies of children sacrificed by the Incas to their gods. I'm not at all defending this--in fact seeing the expressive face of the mummified child was heartbreaking--but an over-my-shoulder comment was made that it was horrible they did that. It came from a Christian, yet I remember sacrifice of animals and one almost-sacrifice of a child in the Bible. The guy who was going to kill his child is glorified, and I've heard Christians say they would and wouldn't (usually would) do the same thing if God asked them to.

So my question is, if you think other religions performing sacrifices is horrible, but are okay with Christian sacrifice, how do you justify sacrifice for one religion and not the other? The question of course doesn't apply if you don't hold both opinions.

Because the two are completely different. The sacrifices at Machu Pichu were made to pacify angry gods.

The near-sacrifice of Isaac was for this purpose: that God might have Abraham prove to himself that God was first and his son, no matter how beloved and wanted he was, would not come before his commitment to God.

The sacrifices of animals I don't really care about, since I don't think animals have souls. I adore nature and being in nature, and he beauty of the natural world. I don't think that animals have the same worth as humans on any level. But again, these sacrifices were to make the people choose between valuing their livestock or valuing God.
"We are half-hearted creatures,
fooling about with drink and sex and
ambition when infinite joy is offered us,
like an ignorant child who wants to go on
making mud pies in a slum because he
cannot imagine what is meant by the offer
of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily
pleased."—C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:09:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 9:55:18 AM, Yvette wrote:
I'm watching a neat little documentary right now called Ghosts of Machu Picchu (very highly recommended) and I get to the part about how they found a few bodies of children sacrificed by the Incas to their gods. I'm not at all defending this--in fact seeing the expressive face of the mummified child was heartbreaking--but an over-my-shoulder comment was made that it was horrible they did that. It came from a Christian, yet I remember sacrifice of animals and one almost-sacrifice of a child in the Bible. The guy who was going to kill his child is glorified, and I've heard Christians say they would and wouldn't (usually would) do the same thing if God asked them to.

So my question is, if you think other religions performing sacrifices is horrible, but are okay with Christian sacrifice, how do you justify sacrifice for one religion and not the other? The question of course doesn't apply if you don't hold both opinions.

I wouldn't trust a word she says if I could touch them with rubber gloves.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:16:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

What books do you base your theology on, or rather claim to.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:41:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

It took you 20 months to read the bible?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Valtarov
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:46:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:41:29 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

It took you 20 months to read the bible?

Probably read more than just the Bible.
"We are half-hearted creatures,
fooling about with drink and sex and
ambition when infinite joy is offered us,
like an ignorant child who wants to go on
making mud pies in a slum because he
cannot imagine what is meant by the offer
of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily
pleased."—C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:17:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:05:10 AM, Valtarov wrote:
At 7/15/2010 9:55:18 AM, Yvette wrote:
I'm watching a neat little documentary right now called Ghosts of Machu Picchu (very highly recommended) and I get to the part about how they found a few bodies of children sacrificed by the Incas to their gods. I'm not at all defending this--in fact seeing the expressive face of the mummified child was heartbreaking--but an over-my-shoulder comment was made that it was horrible they did that. It came from a Christian, yet I remember sacrifice of animals and one almost-sacrifice of a child in the Bible. The guy who was going to kill his child is glorified, and I've heard Christians say they would and wouldn't (usually would) do the same thing if God asked them to.

So my question is, if you think other religions performing sacrifices is horrible, but are okay with Christian sacrifice, how do you justify sacrifice for one religion and not the other? The question of course doesn't apply if you don't hold both opinions.

Because the two are completely different. The sacrifices at Machu Pichu were made to pacify angry gods.

The near-sacrifice of Isaac was for this purpose: that God might have Abraham prove to himself that God was first and his son, no matter how beloved and wanted he was, would not come before his commitment to God.

The sacrifices of animals I don't really care about, since I don't think animals have souls. I adore nature and being in nature, and he beauty of the natural world. I don't think that animals have the same worth as humans on any level. But again, these sacrifices were to make the people choose between valuing their livestock or valuing God.

How do justify animal sacrifices, even if they don't have souls? Why should God need to eat them for food if he's omnipotent? (as in Deuteronomy where it says the bull sacrifice was "a sweet savour unto the Lord.")
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
twsurber
Posts: 505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:36:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:41:29 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

It took you 20 months to read the bible?

People on DDO have read the Bible? WOW!
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:48:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 12:36:55 PM, twsurber wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:41:29 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

It took you 20 months to read the bible?

People on DDO have read the Bible? WOW!

I've read the NT through. The OT got boring after Genesis; bad pacing; unbelievable characters, way too many laws (a lot of which were kinda sick) and the main character had severe emotional defects. Didn't get past exodus.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:50:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 12:48:48 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/15/2010 12:36:55 PM, twsurber wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:41:29 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

It took you 20 months to read the bible?

People on DDO have read the Bible? WOW!

I've read the NT through. The OT got boring after Genesis; bad pacing; unbelievable characters, way too many laws (a lot of which were kinda sick) and the main character had severe emotional defects. Didn't get past exodus.

The copy of the Bible I have only has the NT. How lame. If I have the Bible I expect to have the whole thing!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 1:29:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 12:36:55 PM, twsurber wrote:
People on DDO have read the Bible? WOW!

Yeah, that's why it's so easy for us to point out all of the flaws and logical impossibilities / inconsistencies that the general public is too incompetent to notice :)
President of DDO
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 1:32:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 1:29:44 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/15/2010 12:36:55 PM, twsurber wrote:
People on DDO have read the Bible? WOW!

Yeah, that's why it's so easy for us to point out all of the flaws and logical impossibilities / inconsistencies that the general public is too incompetent to notice :)

True, so true.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 1:33:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:05:10 AM, Valtarov wrote:
Because the two are completely different. The sacrifices at Machu Pichu were made to pacify angry gods.

The near-sacrifice of Isaac was for this purpose: that God might have Abraham prove to himself that God was first and his son, no matter how beloved and wanted he was, would not come before his commitment to God.

The sacrifices of animals I don't really care about, since I don't think animals have souls. I adore nature and being in nature, and he beauty of the natural world. I don't think that animals have the same worth as humans on any level. But again, these sacrifices were to make the people choose between valuing their livestock or valuing God.

Okay so let's get this straight. Sacrificing animals is okay because animals don't have souls. Ignoring the obvious reality that you cannot prove animals don't have souls (or that humans HAVE souls), do you not see other laughable contradictions? Sacrificing a non-soul is permissible but sacrificing someone you believe to have a soul (Isaac's son) becomes permissible... haha, okay. Also, you comment that it's wrong to "pacify" the gods but isn't Isaac asked to pacify God? In both cases a sacrifice (life) is being made (killed) to appease a god.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 1:37:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I just read the Skeptics Annotated Bible and click the "Cruelty and Violence" section, lol.

(j/k, it's only partly true, I've read more than that.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:10:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:41:29 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

It took you 20 months to read the bible?

It gets boring.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:16:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

I did read it as a kid. I wasn't given a choice.

Have you read the religious texts of every religion you reject? No?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:17:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I read other books simultaneously the bible is longer than you think, the pages are 3 pages thinner than normal and the text is smaller. The normal sized bible is like wow. - quarto size bible non thin -
'sup DDO -- july 2013
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:25:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

I read it all in under 12 months. Twice (not in the same 12 month time period, I had a year in between. The purpose of twice was so maybe I'd retain some of the information) And I haven't found anything against sacrifices. In fact I remember reading about one famous sacrifice...what was that name again? Oh yeah Jesus.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:31:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 1:33:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:05:10 AM, Valtarov wrote:
Because the two are completely different. The sacrifices at Machu Pichu were made to pacify angry gods.

The near-sacrifice of Isaac was for this purpose: that God might have Abraham prove to himself that God was first and his son, no matter how beloved and wanted he was, would not come before his commitment to God.

The sacrifices of animals I don't really care about, since I don't think animals have souls. I adore nature and being in nature, and he beauty of the natural world. I don't think that animals have the same worth as humans on any level. But again, these sacrifices were to make the people choose between valuing their livestock or valuing God.

Okay so let's get this straight. Sacrificing animals is okay because animals don't have souls. Ignoring the obvious reality that you cannot prove animals don't have souls (or that humans HAVE souls), do you not see other laughable contradictions? Sacrificing a non-soul is permissible but sacrificing someone you believe to have a soul (Isaac's son) becomes permissible... haha, okay. Also, you comment that it's wrong to "pacify" the gods but isn't Isaac asked to pacify God? In both cases a sacrifice (life) is being made (killed) to appease a god.

Not only that but even if the animals don't have souls and humans do, how is that any better? You can see clearly that animals do feel pain, and emotion, even if it isn't the exact same as humans (do all humans feel the same way though? No they don't) So why would sacrificing them be okay? Animals and small children desearve the same rights, they feel and reason about the same level, and treating one any better than the other is just wrong.

----On a side note, does not apply to small children----

I much prefer human sacrifices to animal sacrifices, (if the human is willing) because the human can have a say, and can be willing.
Same goes for testing for science, same reasoning.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:32:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 12:50:11 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/15/2010 12:48:48 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/15/2010 12:36:55 PM, twsurber wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:41:29 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

It took you 20 months to read the bible?

People on DDO have read the Bible? WOW!

I've read the NT through. The OT got boring after Genesis; bad pacing; unbelievable characters, way too many laws (a lot of which were kinda sick) and the main character had severe emotional defects. Didn't get past exodus.

The copy of the Bible I have only has the NT. How lame. If I have the Bible I expect to have the whole thing!

Get used to it. The NT usually says the OT doesn't really matter anyway. If you read it all get halfway through and go "WTF?! NONE OF THAT EVEN MATTERED?!" you'd be pretty upset.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:32:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Am I to presume that socialists have now disavowed the sacrifice of productivity to need?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:35:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 2:32:45 PM, lovelife wrote:

Get used to it. The NT usually says the OT doesn't really matter anyway. If you read it all get halfway through and go "WTF?! NONE OF THAT EVEN MATTERED?!" you'd be pretty upset.

It matters, that's a misconception, Jesus only changed some parts and Paul being a pratt added his own doctrines. Other than the non killing and disregard for ritual purity we follow the OT.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:36:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 2:32:45 PM, lovelife wrote:

Get used to it. The NT usually says the OT doesn't really matter anyway. If you read it all get halfway through and go "WTF?! NONE OF THAT EVEN MATTERED?!" you'd be pretty upset.

That's pretty common. It seems to be a topic of constant debate among theists, christians in particular, whether the OT matters or not. I'd say it does, considering some of the stuff written in the NT.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:42:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 2:16:08 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

I did read it as a kid. I wasn't given a choice.

Have you read the religious texts of every religion you reject? No?

You don't just reject it on DDO. You antagonise it, it's not enough for you to reject it. You of all people are guilty of this.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:49:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 11:16:01 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

What books do you base your theology on, or rather claim to.

I read the catholic bible. I read most apocrypha(Deuterocannon Orthodox) last year. (I was Coptic then)
'sup DDO -- july 2013
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:53:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 2:36:02 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/15/2010 2:32:45 PM, lovelife wrote:

Get used to it. The NT usually says the OT doesn't really matter anyway. If you read it all get halfway through and go "WTF?! NONE OF THAT EVEN MATTERED?!" you'd be pretty upset.

That's pretty common. It seems to be a topic of constant debate among theists, christians in particular, whether the OT matters or not. I'd say it does, considering some of the stuff written in the NT.

Most of the stuff that you were supposed to do is thrown out. Making most of it having been done irrelevant. In the OT you would be killed for eating ham. Now its apparently Christian tradition to eat ham (I hate that tradition)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:57:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 2:31:32 PM, lovelife wrote:

Not only that but even if the animals don't have souls and humans do, how is that any better? You can see clearly that animals do feel pain, and emotion, even if it isn't the exact same as humans (do all humans feel the same way though? No they don't) So why would sacrificing them be okay? Animals and small children desearve the same rights, they feel and reason about the same level, and treating one any better than the other is just wrong.


----On a side note, does not apply to small children----

I much prefer human sacrifices to animal sacrifices, (if the human is willing) because the human can have a say, and can be willing.
Same goes for testing for science, same reasoning.

From a religious zealot perspective there is nothing above divine right. Your value of animal rights is purely moral there's nothing objective above your love or care of animalia. If god says do it there is nothing above the word of god. Funny thing is, your value of animal/child life is a strong as theres.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 3:04:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 2:57:27 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 7/15/2010 2:31:32 PM, lovelife wrote:

Not only that but even if the animals don't have souls and humans do, how is that any better? You can see clearly that animals do feel pain, and emotion, even if it isn't the exact same as humans (do all humans feel the same way though? No they don't) So why would sacrificing them be okay? Animals and small children desearve the same rights, they feel and reason about the same level, and treating one any better than the other is just wrong.


----On a side note, does not apply to small children----

I much prefer human sacrifices to animal sacrifices, (if the human is willing) because the human can have a say, and can be willing.
Same goes for testing for science, same reasoning.

From a religious zealot perspective there is nothing above divine right. Your value of animal rights is purely moral there's nothing objective above your love or care of animalia. If god says do it there is nothing above the word of god. Funny thing is, your value of animal/child life is a strong as theres.

What I'm wondering is if God is all loving, all good, and all knowing, then why would he want anything to be killed in his name in the first place. Do the killings for him really mean nothing to him?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 3:08:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/15/2010 2:42:39 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 7/15/2010 2:16:08 PM, Yvette wrote:
At 7/15/2010 11:13:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Christians don't have live animal sacrificial rights.

For the 4th time, if you want to be a good atheist read the texts you're criticising.(All of it!) It's only 20 months if you read fast.

I did read it as a kid. I wasn't given a choice.

Have you read the religious texts of every religion you reject? No?

You don't just reject it on DDO. You antagonise it, it's not enough for you to reject it. You of all people are guilty of this.

1. I have read the Bible, as I stated, I was once a Christian. I'm not going to reread it every time I disagree with it. I've also taken a World Religions class, Christianity included.

2. The basics of the Christian religion are common knowledge in America.

3. What happens in the Bible and what Christians do/think is rarely the same thing.

4. Even many Christians disagree with the Bible.

5. I never said "live" animal sacrifice. I said animal sacrifice. Please don't put words in my mouth, it's dishonest.

6. Apparently you need to read your own Bible. http://bibleanswer.com...
http://www.biblegateway.com...
http://www.biblegateway.com...
http://www.biblegateway.com...

7. So, apparently it's not enough to read your Bible like a Christian, you've got to cherry-pick it, too!
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands